enyx

sukekiyo

After a couple listens, I have to say that I quite enjoy INFINITUM. It's not the album I was wishing for but it's interesting and engaging and in the end, that's more valuable.

I guess the real challenge with every new sukekiyo album is letting go of your preconceptions of what they "should" sound like. My personal concept of their sound is primarily influenced by songs like elisabeth addict, in all weathers, focus, 12時20分金輪際, foster mother etc... this blend of something delicate and intimate with something strange and feral, this almost operatic sense and scope of drama and the patience in balancing the subtleties and intricacies of silence and melody with excessive temperament and chaos. ADORATIO went a slightly different route and partly exchanged a wider arc of cohesion and emotional immersion for structural liberty and immediacy. INFINITUM feels similar in that way but it's even more direct and "short of breath"... which is fine but it just doesn't make me feel as involved.

Edited by VESSMIER

There’s about 3-4 songs on this album that are exceptional, the rest are pretty boring or downright terrible. 

It's almost impossible not to compare a band's portfolio though. I'm used to always expecting something new with sukekiyo, even without comparing the new album to Adoratio or anything else, infinitum is still my least favourite. 💁🏻‍♀️ It's very much a sukekiyo release, meaning there's tons of experimentation but still, underwhelming. 

I feel like I'm the only person on this board who likes this better than ADORATIO. IMMORTALIS/vitium are always going to be my favorites...where as ADORATIO only has a couple of bonafide songs i consistently go back to. 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:20 PM, EzraEroguro said:

I feel like I'm the only person on this board who likes this better than ADORATIO. IMMORTALIS/vitium are always going to be my favorites...where as ADORATIO only has a couple of bonafide songs i consistently go back to. 

Oh wow, haha. Thought I was the only person who liked Immortalis and Vitium better than Adoratio. 😛 Not that Adoratio is bad but it's had far less repeat plays than the other two.

No, for me it is the same:

Vitium >>>>>>>> Immortalis (though I HATE the mix, discovered the genius of this album through the live performances) >>> Adoratio > Infinitum

I was even disappointed hearing Adoratio first, because of the style change with the electronics and synths. But simple as it is, this is very well-‚crafted‘ music, and you cannot do else but like it.

They are becoming too eccentric-tryhard for me

On 6/18/2019 at 1:49 AM, EzraEroguro said:

I have to rescind my statement. ADORATIO is better live. Mania no Shikan was amazing.

Yes! I actually can’t think of a single track where I prefer the studio version over the live one 🤔

I feel like I haven’t listened to INFINITUM enough to really judge it. This time two years ago, I was listening to ADORATIO on repeat all the time. 

This time around, I’ve only listened to INFINITUM twice, and I only remember three songs: the second track (because of all the dumb cat yowl noises kyo makes), kisses, and ただ、まだ、私 (because it kind of sounds like 赫). Maybe with more listens I’ll grow to appreciate the album more, but right now, nothing’s making me want to put it on repeat.

2 minutes ago, Seimeisen said:

I feel like I haven’t listened to INFINITUM enough to really judge it. This time two years ago, I was listening to ADORATIO on repeat all the time. 

This time around, I’ve only listened to INFINITUM twice, and I only remember three songs: the second track (because of all the dumb cat yowl noises kyo makes), kisses, and ただ、まだ、私 (because it kind of sounds like 赫). Maybe with more listens I’ll grow to appreciate the album more, but right now, nothing’s making me want to put it on repeat.

Two words:

Guzou Moratorium.

I've been listening to infinitum more and more. It sure took a while to digest it, but it it's not going up any higher on my list just yet. 

infinitum kind of makes me impatient for their next record. Like, is it going to be ‚worse‘ or better?

In addition, I want to see them live. So.bad. 

I still think it was the most unexpected thing ever when they toured around Europe, having just released one album and being relatively unknown (of course, Kyo being fame as whatnot)

It still puzzles me that I got to see them live before I even enjoyed their music properly. How did they pull that off? I hope more than anything that they'll tour Europe again when they released another album (probably in two years 😭

What's with all the film references in INFINITUM's lyrics? I've seen some of the English lyrics being posted and there's references to Santa Sangre (I'm presuming it refers to the Jodorowsky film), Female Prisoner Scorpion, Creepshow, The Toxic Avenger... At least it looks like Kyo has a good taste in movies lol

I stopped paying attention to the lyrics, since roundabout they keep on describing the complexes of a whiny woman, afraid to be left alone.

edit: and sexual excesses, to be fair.

Edited by cheesy_VK_Freak

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but while adding sukekiyo lyrics to the wiki, I noticed that Guuzou Moratorium has reversed lyrics.

So naturally I reversed the entire track to see what it sounds like. The reversed stuff starts at 2:50: