enyx

sukekiyo

9 hours ago, Saishu said:

I got my copy of Infinitum today

Please refrain from showing off so we can avoid desperate people clogging the thread. The album can be found [MH PREMIUM ACCOUNT ONLY CONTENT] 

My first impressions are this is the worst thing Sukekiyo has done, and you can’t convince me this isn’t a bunch of shit they’ve been tossing to the side for the last five years. 

Also they have once again employed Tue Madsen to bring his economy pack of disinfectant wipes to the studio and just smear them all over the place. 

1 hour ago, slvts said:

Anyone else go through CDJapan? They still haven't sent my copy out, how long did it take to get to you?

Did you order the standard edition? Or the "special" version which is about 29347690270.846534676 yen? As the standard version doesn't come out until the end of next month. I've got a pre-order for it on CDJapan and of course, wont expect it until after then.... lol.

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

My first impressions are this is the worst thing Sukekiyo has done, and you can’t convince me this isn’t a bunch of shit they’ve been tossing to the side for the last five years. 

Also they have once again employed Tue Madsen to bring his economy pack of disinfectant wipes to the studio and just smear them all over the place. 

It was a matter of time I suppose. Are there any single tracks that redeem the thing?

1 hour ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Did you order the standard edition? Or the "special" version which is about 29347690270.846534676 yen? As the standard version doesn't come out until the end of next month. I've got a pre-order for it on CDJapan and of course, wont expect it until after then.... lol.

Let's just say I'm 29347690270.846534676 yen down...

1 hour ago, blacktooth said:

It was a matter of time I suppose. Are there any single tracks that redeem the thing?

Right now I’d say there are like five tracks that are really good. Most of the others have cool elements, but ultimately don’t pan out. The first track sounds like if Giji Necromancer got stuck in the first half and never built into anything. 

My major gripe is that a lot of these songs just don’t sound like there’s a band playing. It’s layers of electronic noise and drum loops. 

7 minutes ago, slvts said:

Let's just say I'm 29347690270.846534676 yen down...

Any reason why you didn’t order directly from Galaxy Broad? Didn’t CDJapan slap a proxy fee on top of the order?

3 hours ago, Saishu said:

you can’t convince me this isn’t a bunch of shit they’ve been tossing to the side for the last five years. 

You're just confirming what the band said themselves: "Takumi explains that they had several songs in pre-production stage, some from even 5 years ago when they were dismissed. So the current sukekiyo could remake them." 

https://kyotakumrau.tumblr.com/post/184987115012/20190517-beat-shuffle-kyo-and-takumi-interview

55 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Any reason why you didn’t order directly from Galaxy Broad? Didn’t CDJapan slap a proxy fee on top of the order?

I regularly use CDJ so I had a lot of points to cash in 

The electronic wall of sound stuff was cool in Adoration when it was used for breakdowns and climaxes, but with it essentially being flipped for Infinitum many of these tracks feel directionless. There are some bits that are almost industrial and I wish they would’ve gone all in on that. 

Worst release after Immortalis, tbh.

Liked 3 songs (7, 9, 11). Others were too weird or, as Blacktooth said, directionless.

First album half just melts into strange and boring mess.

I can't remember when an album opener caught me off guard like 偶像モラトリアム. And that pikopiko track. Amazing how a versatile band like sukekiyo could go even one step further. Some songs seem like filler so far, maybe changes after few more listens. So far very impressed with this album.

9 minutes ago, EvilHippy said:

Worst release after Immortalis, tbh.

Calling the unarguably best/biggest impact vk album of the decade their worst release.. Such trolling..

1 minute ago, filth_y said:

Calling the unarguably best/biggest impact vk album of the decade their worst release.. Such trolling..

Well, what can I do. I'll try to listen it more, but as for now, Adoratio felt more cohesive and impacting than Infinitum. 

i haven't listened to the entire album in full, just did the preliminary ''skimming through songs'' thing i always do with releases i'm hyped about and so far everything sounds perfectly fine to me..? majority of the complaints i've been reading about the album so far have been regarding overuse of electronics but i don't really see what the big deal with that is tbh, ''muh real instruments'' is such an empty complaint when many vk bands make use of backing tracks anyway

Edited by Tokage

Also should note that the second disc is pretty useless. It’s tracks you’ve already heard with extra vocals/instruments tacked on top, with the sound levels cranked up to ridiculous levels to accommodate the additional layers. I haven’t watched the blu-ray yet, but I imagine that’s mostly fine. 

Nice packaging though. 

23 minutes ago, Tokage said:

majority of the complaints i've been reading about the album so far have been regarding overuse of electronics but i don't really see what the big deal with that is tbh, ''muh real instruments'' is such an empty complaint when many vk bands make use of backing tracks anyway

I'm probably talking nonsense, but I clearly hear digitized frog's croaking in last song.

And that's not a very good usage of electronics.

the bonus tracks have pretty much always been useless to be honest, give me demo versions of tracks, b-sides or instrumentals or just don't bother 

Electronic instrumentation is all fine and well, but my issue with this album is the songwriting itself. The ballads are the only tracks to really stand out to me so far because they have the most interesting writing. Most of these tracks come off to me as studio experimentation.

This is after just one listen, mind you.

I'm struggling to find the appeal of sukekiyo. They're the kind of group you would find in a New York nightclub full of drugged-out techno goths ripping coke and ecstasy in the bathroom. To my knowledge, such a thing is non-existent in Japan. So what's the point?