enyx

sukekiyo

There is/was a full live on YouTube. From what I could tell Mika was playing an acoustic kit, but everyone else was shifting around messing with synths and pads, so who knows. 

During the middle section of Jyunboku, Yuchi totally stops playing bass to diddle some keys or something. Kyo has a weird station where he goes and freaks out too. 

I like the new track a lot, which I wasn’t really expecting since I was somewhat underwhelmed with much of Adoratio despite it having a few great tracks such as Hakudaku. I’ve actually liked everything they’ve released post-Adoratio though, the Gerbera “cover” which was basically just an original song with one chorus that was remeniscent of the MUCC version actually blew me away and is probably top 5 sukekiyo songs for me. こうも違うモノなのか、要するに was pretty good too although I’d like to hear a proper studio recording of it. I like that Kyo uses harsh vocals more like the ones he does in DEG in both of those instead of the annoying whisper grandpa yelling thing that I find annoying and grating on a lot of sukekiyo tracks. And I like this new song a lot, again no annoying moaning or wheezing from Kyo thankfully. It is a bit strange that you can barely hear any “real” instruments besides the bass but they’ve always had some strange mixing except for Vitium which sounds the most organic and rock-ish/guitar-driven.

Edited by Kelrya

On 11/20/2018 at 7:27 PM, Kelrya said:

It is a bit strange that you can barely hear any “real” instruments besides the bass but they’ve always had some strange mixing except for Vitium which sounds the most organic and rock-ish/guitar-driven.

I've actually always preferred their live recordings over the studio ones, not only for the more exciting "live experience" but also and especially because of the great recording and mixing/mastering quality. MUTANS for example sounds just beautiful, the performance is on point (to my ears outstanding: focus, elisabeth addict, anima, 12時20分金輪際...) and it captures their jazzy, futuristic noir prog rock witchery perfectly. 

Rongai na ikimono to shite is really great. I have a good feeling about this album if this is a leftover.

Edited by Tanishi

sukekiyo put up a preview of Tada, Mada, Watashi. on Kyo's online site.

Spoiler

It sounds very melodic, no crazyness at all. Very beautiful song.

If Waizatsu resembles Keibetsu to Hajimari, TMW. resembles Ranunculus, basically.

I'm the only one that prefered Immortalis to Adoratio? I know that they were fairly young as a band back then and they were still playing fairly safe as far as instrumentation and songwriting goes, but I didn't really enjoy Adoratio at all (I kinda liked "Anima" but I can't really say I've really been into anything they released after it). I get that Immortalis has a bit of a stylistic overlap with Dir en Grey and a few songs sound like they could actually fit DeG's repertoire ("Zephyr" could be in Withering to Death IMOand it was only with Adoratio that the stylistic distance between DeG and Sukekiyo really grew to a point you can actually see them as completely different entities. But Adoratio was too all-over-the-place for me and lacked the hooks that songs from Immortalis had, the only songs that I enjoyed were "Hakudaku" and "Kubitsuri Yuugu". 

One of the things I liked the most on the recently uploaded songs is how they have a stronger "organic" feel to it compared (even though "Waizatsu" have a lot of bleeps and bloops the instrumentation sounds more natural sounding as opposed to the heavily processed guitars and electronic drums). IIRC "Kisses" had a lot of electronics too, so I suppose they will try to find a middle ground between synthy and organic?

My favorite album is Vitium because it's the perfect middle ground between Immortalis and Adoratio. But if I have to choose between those two, I prefer Immortallis. I can listen to it without ever feeling like I've had enough, but Adoratio is a much heavier listen which I'm not always in the mood for. Regarding stylistic differences it was obvious from the start that sukekiyo is different kind of beast imo. 

For me VITIUM takes the cake, definitely. IMMORTALIS was really weird and overbearing to me at the time it came out, but about one year afterwards it clicked and I completely fell in love with it. ADORATIO is just too much for me, a hodge-podge of ideas with not enough memorable bits (but it's alright I guess, and I'd easily take it over whatever DEG released since DSS).

Edited by Jigsaw9

VITIUM and ADORATIO are some of the best vk out there. IMMORTALIS wasn't there yet, but again, it still kills most new deg material while not being in the league of the stuff they did later. 

2 hours ago, kuyashii said:

I'm the only one that prefered Immortalis to Adoratio?

nope.

I started gradually hating on them after anima/12時20分金輪際 ended up their last decent songs for a long while.

I get that it's the best we can expect given the so and so, but both takumi and mika really should pull out a the 13teen and get away from FWD (preferrably with that forbidden days rhapsody vocaleuse.) #fanfiction

that hard techno track literally came this close to turning into raging sound diarrhea, I get the nods to quirky and BiZzAre 2002 Deg era squeezed in, but what's the point of acting whack now if it was their own choice to turn the relevant band out of those two into a straight-acting generic chugfest idk

Edited by nekkichi

On 11/17/2018 at 4:08 AM, Saishu said:

There is/was a full live on YouTube. From what I could tell Mika was playing an acoustic kit, but everyone else was shifting around messing with synths and pads, so who knows. 

could just be a triggered acoustic kit. no need of elecronic pads therefore to produce any sounds he'd like to.

Immortals has a lot of fillers, imo.

Latour, Nine melted fiction, hidden one, vandal, madara ningen... dunno, maybe just not my cup of tea.

I just realised 論外な生き物として won't be on the new album... damn, it's their best song to date, I was looking forward to hearing the finished version.

4 hours ago, EvilHippy said:

Immortals has a lot of fillers, imo.

Latour, Nine melted fiction, hidden one, vandal, madara ningen... dunno, maybe just not my cup of tea.

Latour pisses me off because Mika is doing a ton of cool shit towards the end and you can’t hear any of it. 

7 hours ago, Saishu said:

Latour pisses me off because Mika is doing a ton of cool shit towards the end and you can’t hear any of it. 

Listened to Latour and now understand what are you talking about. They've should made drums a bit louder.

12 hours ago, Saishu said:

It's a lot better on PERSUASIO and MUTANS - as long as you don't mind the live sound (which, if you ask me, is superior to the studio version anyway).

Vitium has some weird moments. That chaotic part from Focus reminds me A-ha - Take on me.

Edited by EvilHippy

On 5/4/2019 at 2:42 PM, kuyashii said:

I'm the only one that prefered Immortalis to Adoratio?

No way, Immortalis is a great album, listen to it WAYYYY more than Adoratio. Immortalis just feels a bit more artistic and "emotional" than Adoratio in my opinion. Both albums have pretty different vibes though I think.