enyx

sukekiyo

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

On the topic of Adoratio, Mimi Zozo, Aoguroi Hysteria, and Hakudaku are the perfect trifecta to end the album. They all combine to make a very effective emotional climax. 

Agreed! Giji Necromancer and Mannerism na tsumetai souretsutsya are also masterpieces 

46 minutes ago, Ozileras10 said:

Agreed! Giji Necromancer and Mannerism na tsumetai souretsutsya are also masterpieces 

First five tracks are stellar!  jyunboku, muku de arouga is one of my favorites. 

1 hour ago, Ozileras10 said:

True man! Album of the year for me

Have to agree. Disregard those remixes and this is one album I just can't get enough of. Giji Necromancer and hidauta are constantly on repeat. 

16 minutes ago, platy said:

Have to agree. Disregard those remixes and this is one album I just can't get enough of. Giji Necromancer and hidauta are constantly on repeat. 

Everyone better vote for it on the M-H J-Rock Awards. Because I agree it's easily the best album this year.

Another interesting thing about Sukekiyo, particularly since Adoratio’s release, is how many people that attempt to translate Kyo’s lyrics literally. He usually doesn’t work that way considering how he often uses words his own way or just makes them up. 

For instance, the two kanji Kyo used to write “hidauta” really don’t lend themselves to a literal interpretation. Best you can do is translate the two kanji and then see how they relate to the lyrics. But anyway coming back with the title translated as “fold/pleated song” is wrong, because the kanji Kyo used for “uta” does not mean “song”.

Does this mean I know what Kyo is trying but to say? Lol, nope. I have a guess though. The kanji he used for “uta” basically means “praise”. So, I dunno... “folded praise”? Or maybe it’s just “fold praise” and given how often the theme of sex runs thru the entire album, “fold” could be a euphemism for female genitalia. So, you know... “praise the vagina”.

eh. 

2 hours ago, Saishu said:

really don’t lend themselves to a literal interpretation. Best you can do is translate the two kanji

That's what a literal translation is.^^

2 hours ago, Seelentau said:

That's what a literal translation is.^^

Yes, but you can’t just stick with that as the final translation. No language can be reliably be translated into English and make sense. It’s why so many of the Sukekiyo translations read so awkwardly. And from what I understand, the album comes with english translations anyway?

The Hidauta example is funny to me, because people see the romanization “uta” and assume it means song. But it’s not the same kanji. 

The lyrics translations of DEG and sukekiyo are awkward to read because translating Japanese song lyrics into English is incredibly difficult.

Kyo often leaves things open, doesn't make clear who is saying what or who the lyrics are about etc.

So even the official translations tend to be weird, although I assume the translator can at least ask Kyo directly... if Kyo answers is a different question, ofc^^

The official translations are weird, but they usually read naturally and have good flow. Some of the fan translations look like the lines were run thru Google Translate, so they’re very mechanical sounding. Some of the best fan translations are from people that understand Japanese enough so that not only can they translate, but also interpret what the author is trying to get across. Again, like you said, Kyo doesn’t make that easy for anyone, but we can all be sure that he’s never trying to create a straightforward image. 

Shout out to Yuchi and Mika for being one of the tightest rhythm sections in the business right now. 

That stone cold groove in Hakudaku is killer, and also that disturbingly sexy swagger in mannerism na tsumetai souretsusya. 

ADORATIO really surprised me with how good it is, I wasn't actually looking forward to it for reasons even I am unsure of despite enjoying their first album, maybe I was just too focused on other things to feel excited. But I am glad I gave it a try, and it is even better to see it's being unanimously praised over here.

They also played one or two new songs yesterday.

New songs are:

• こうも違うモノなのか、要するに (the new single)
  • kisses
  • WHO
Edited by Seelentau

Don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, but I watched yesterday's nico live and suddenly remembered the talks of Kyo spicing things up with some synths or even a theremin from a few pages back and lo and behold (after the 30 minute mark, theremin after 33).

Prophetic much? Predict somethin nice for me too.

Holy shit! The way they transitioned from Gunya straight into Hidauta was sick. 

But hasn’t Kyo been using the theremin for a while? I thought Uta even asked him to use it on Adoratio. 

6 hours ago, Saishu said:

Holy shit! The way they transitioned from Gunya straight into Hidauta was sick. 

But hasn’t Kyo been using the theremin for a while? I thought Uta even asked him to use it on Adoratio. 

Yeah, it was mentioned here, it was just fascinating to see for me. Perhaps I worded this weird, idk. I love how Adoratio translates live, it's a super eclectic album, so I was curious about this. 

9 hours ago, crossparallel said:

Don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, but I watched yesterday's nico live and suddenly remembered the talks of Kyo spicing things up with some synths or even a theremin from a few pages back and lo and behold (after the 30 minute mark, theremin after 33).

I think the reason people mentioned it, is because it was used on adoratio.

This live is fantastic, agreed with what you said about the album translating well into lives. I don't know what it is but it's very different from their previous stuff. 

On 1/15/2018 at 7:31 AM, crossparallel said:

what song is it? when he played synthesizer?