fitear1590

WTF-inducing Japanese vocals

At least from the perspective of an English speaker, I think Japanese vocalists can sometimes produce the strangest sounds from their mouth holes.  Let's discuss those moments here.

Now, "WTF-inducing" doesn't necessarily mean bad; in fact, I have more positive than negative examples!
Here are a few examples of Japanese vocals that completely took me off guard the first time I heard them.

The Good

愛狂います。 (Aicle) in "豚の王様「ニトログリセリン」" (Vocalist: Emiru)
This song consists of about 3 lines of actual lyrics.  The rest of the "vocals" come in the form of grunts, screeches, growls, and yes, pig oinks.  Wonky as shit, but I love this track.

女王蜂 (Ziyoou-vachi) in all of their songs, tbh (Vocalist: Avu-chan)
Avu-chan tends to switch abruptly between a gruff "male" voice and squeaky "female" voice, just adding another layer of weirdness on this major-label noisy ass punk group.

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Ziyoou-vachi---Desco/cc18219ce8b808b4b8c592e4f26241b4

戸川純 (Jun Togawa) in "パンク蛹化の女"
Jun Togawa was always nuts, but I think this "punk" version of her hit song "mushi no onna" illustrates in the most obvious way just how "out there" here anti-idol act was.  Listen to her scream her heart out passionately over a delightfully cheerful synth version of Pachelbel's Canon!

己龍 (Kiryu) in most songs (Vocalist: Mahiro)
I think Mahiro has to be one of the most consistently "extreme" vocalists in VK.  He's frantic, sounds like he's on the verge of crying, he moans, cackles, and growls like a demon.  Love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8xY2ccLVAc

神聖かまってちゃん (shinsei kamattechan) in most songs (Vocalist: Noko)
Similar to Jun Togawa, there's a raw, yet childish energy to Noko's vocals.  HOWEVER, Noko is actually a guy.  He pitch shifts and adds other effects to achieve this scary sound.  Just imagine a grown man saying "fuck you" in pitch shifted baby vocals...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32838985/Songs/shinsei%20kamattechan%20-%20yuugure%20memorizer.mp3

The Bad
己龍 (Kiryu) in "鬼祭" (Vocalist: Mahiro)
As much as I love Mahiro's craziness, I do think he went overboard on one song.  In 鬼祭, he does inhale-y growls through the song's entire chorus.  It's just off-putting and doesn't really work.

Going for falsetto notes that you can't hit
There are plenty of examples for this, but I'll focus on Shaura of the band VII-Sense.  Just watch this clip (hopefully it starts at the right time) and see if you can listen to the entire vocal outro without cringing.  The sad thing is I liked his voice in all his previous bands!  I don't know what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRg3S-92BiY#t=275

The Raid. in "JUDGEMENT" (Vocalist: sena) 
The Raid. have come to embody what I dislike about 80% of current VK, so apologies for the bias.  (All the more disappointing, because I really enjoyed the preview for their first single.)  ANYWAY, just watch the video.  From their weak-ass "airy" growls to the absolutely goofy falsetto in the chorus, nothing meshes.  I just have a very confused look on my face when I see this video.

Discuss!  Post your own examples (youtube videos in "spoilers," please!)

I enjoy most of Blu-BiLLioN's songs.. but Mike's glaringly off-pitch lead-in vocals of "with me" is one of the wtf moments for me. How did no one notice this?

Also, I believe I have a reasonably high "tolerance" for unusual vocals and experimental tonalities, but the vocalist of Various (can't be bothered to search for his name) is simply unlistenable. Skip to 1:50 - 2:00 (please buy insurance for your ears beforehand) to hear literally one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard not only in vk but all of music.I don't want to get started on his "harsh vocals"....

女王蜂 (Ziyoou-vachi) in all of their songs, tbh (Vocalist: Avu-chan)

I would like to thank you, cause i totally forgot about this crazy band.

Going for falsetto notes that you can't hit

There are plenty of examples for this, but I'll focus on Shaura of the band VII-Sense.  Just watch this clip (hopefully it starts at the right time) and see if you can listen to the entire vocal outro without cringing.  The sad thing is I liked his voice in all his previous bands!  I don't know what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRg3S-92BiY#t=275

This video starts from the best part of this song. I'm serious! I'm completely okay with entire song, it sounds normal . Whats wrong with me?

(I've been listening to oldschool and new wave of glam metal/hard rock bands for a long period of time. Maybe thats the explanation  :-( )

So here are my examples. I have to ask an excuse, cause my english isn't good.

Good

Maybe a year of two ago there was a band called 「xxx」is D£AD. When I heard this preview for the fist time, my thought was: What the hell? Whats the vocalist gender?

At the same time I could imagine guy or manly girl singing this. Especially at 1:06. It still confuses me.

The Gallo (ギャロ). Ultra trembling voice singing.

Bad

メメント・モリ(Memento Mori)

The growling here sounds very dry and plain imo. Jap bands generally aren't good at growling.

Depain

The vocal in this song doesn't match the music. I mean the vocal is not powerfull, it doesnt suit the music (imo ofc.).

The instrumental is so good.

The Madeth Gray'll "outburst of emotion" channeling in "鬼祭" were such a turnoff for me. Thankfully the 2nd track on the single ended up being one of their best songs ever ("柘榴").

Speaking of whiiiich:

http://youtu.be/_L8-8TxCZns?t=2m23s

Hisui is the queen of making strange noises. There's another song that's not on Youtube at the moment in which he literally sounds like he's being electrocuted, so I'll try to figure out how to upload that later~~~

His only rival that I can think of, that does it justice, is Kyouka.

http://youtu.be/C-lET7NLp7o?t=5m58s

No comment. Just earbleeding.

Also, I believe I have a reasonably high "tolerance" for unusual vocals and experimental tonalities, but the vocalist of Various (can't be bothered to search for his name) is simply unlistenable. Skip to 1:50 - 2:00 (please buy insurance for your ears beforehand) to hear literally one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard not only in vk but all of music.I don't want to get started on his "harsh vocals"....

The song's title speaks for itself.

Why? Did he have only 1 attempt of recording or what?

awww i like the raid.'s vocals.

Yuuki-ama (Lycaon) First it is his brutal squeal scream i just cant figure that out, than its how raw and unique his scream. 2nd song: how he singing but its like he is talking than switches to that lovely voice and then the like girl squeal. 3rd: song the "oww" too hot! i was like ok oki. **88** got me off guard with how sick he was in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSwQQarqCmw

yuki (lustknot.) inhales pig sounds and shrieks on deck

my new bitch Kyouki (grieva) took the old school screaming to the next level with the first video "genocide". 2nd i dont get how he does 0:40 part it's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnp0QXuBijk

dont know his name but was surprised that he could do proper deathcore inhales

http://youtu.be/STT3nAfjxk0

Thanks for posting, everyone!

Kyouka's squeals truly are insane, yet enjoyable.

Also Owl, regarding VII-Sense

This video starts from the best part of this song. I'm serious! I'm completely okay with entire song, it sounds normal . Whats wrong with me?

Nothing's wrong with you, haha. I just personally have a low tolerance for exaggerated/awkward VK falsettos. It just sounds to me like ShauJuk was straining himself a LOT and it surprised me that they let that get through to the studio version of the song (ie. not just a demo).

Anyway, here's a few more from me:

The Good
Bo Ningen in most songs (vocalist: Taigen Kawabe)
The lusciously long hair (of all four members) of this psych rock band is actually not the most striking thing about them, but rather the vocalist's wild, high-pitched yelps. Very weird when you first hear it, but it matches the off-kilter/energetic sound of the music quite well.

実験台モルモット (Jikkendai Marmot) in a lot of songs (vocalist: Tani Takuma)
Jikkendai Marmot has made a name for themselves thanks to their chipper jazzy pop (although, I hear the lyrics might actually be pretty depressing on some tracks). Singer Tani seems to have vocal ADD, abruptly going into super high falsettos and challenging the listener to keep up with his impressive tempo. Not excatly "WTF" like some of the others on this list, but I really had to stop and admire Tani's vocals the first time I heard this particular song.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32838985/Samples/01%20jikkendai%20-kisekae-%20ningyougeki.mp3

The Bad
D in "7th Rose" (vocalist: Asagi)
I think we were all confused when 7th Rose came out... How do you even describe the sounds coming out of Asagi's mouth? Falsetto screamo rap? In any case, NOT enjoying it.

I consider Asagi one of those vocalists who's got a fantastic natural voice, but strains it in all the wrong ways to create sounds that are just not pleasing to the ear. If he would cut down on the screams and falsettos in most of D's later material he would sound a lot more bearable lmao.

The Worst

ミサルカ (Misaruka) - Rosary

This song was made for this thread. As if watching what's-his-face's over-acting (yes, even for VK) weren't enough, the vocals on this new track are even worse: so confusingly terrible. Here's a summary of some of the most egregious parts:

-Pathetic growl that goes on for waaaaaay too long

-"Having a seizure" vocals at :54

-Forced deep vocals at 1:02

-Awful VK vibrato at 1:50

-The sneeze (??) at 3:10

The fact that the production simply plops the vocals on top of everything just makes it worse.

I still love most of the ones in the 'bad' sections but supporting and upping both Jun Togawa and Shinsei Kamattechan as well for such good WTF-inducing vocals! Love them so much, I was already prepared to bring them up until I read through the thread ehe.

As for contributing, I do have a 'bad' one. As soon as I saw the thread, I thought, 'I actually have one I can safely say even I can only listen to for a bit and then must take one hell of a long ass break from it.' xD

Tokami's Agato, newest vocalist. He sounds just.. so bad... And not only to me either, he seems quite popular to the fans for being pretty bad as a singer haha. And yet, we still love it. xD

No comment. Just earbleeding.

Revisited this thread and just noticed your embed link

I must be a special snowflake since that "pseudo-glam rock-ish-grab-your-balls" scream @Decadence's chorus is what makes it memorable to me :)

Also:

*wink wink* Anti-idols.

The vocalist from Tokami makes me dizzy! His vibrato is hilarious!
Hearing him though, he does have a certain "so-bad-it's-good" charm.
I admit it, I think it's fun : P

Here's my contribution:

Her name's ESIE and her music style is dark wave/electro.

Most of her vocals are like in this video, but when she sings 'normally' (whatever that means hah) she sounds really nice.

It's hard to describe her vocals but if I had to describe it simply, I'd say it's like if the last scene in movie The Room (It gets good at :50) became her vocals.

The vocals are overly done in the most underwhelming way.

Hooray for corny slow motion and hope she doesn't wreck her voice at 3:37~.

BTW, if anyone has anymore music by her I'd love to know!

I think the Tokami one is good why is it weird? lol

I put Agato up because, as noodle has pointed out, it's his vibrato. It can be pretty overused and exaggerated, don't you think? Obviously we all have our preferences, and as I said above, most of my favs are ones mentioned in the 'bad' section lol. I see no problem in any of these guys, I just think others might so that's my contribution. I love the band and his voice because of this anyway, it's different but it can surely be called bad by others. It's a good and bad one for me personally, haha.

And good gravy, noodle, ESIE is epic! x'D

Old school Japanese goth bands had WTF-inducing vocals on lock. For example:

SADIE SADS - Angora

NUBILE - Spyral Totem Toler Than East Poll

AUTO-MOD - Deathtopia (couldn't find "時の葬列" on YT which IMO is a better example of vocalist Genet's goat-braying antics)

Finally - a personal all time fave ...sweetest and creepiest vocals you'll ever hear:

戸川純 (Jun Togawa) in "パンク蛹化の女"

Jun Togawa was always nuts, but I think this "punk" version of her hit song "mushi no onna" illustrates in the most obvious way just how "out there" here anti-idol act was.  Listen to her scream her heart out passionately over a delightfully cheerful synth version of Pachelbel's Canon!

Magnificent Jun... There's quite a lot of examples for the remarkable versatility of her voice. エンジェル ベイビー (Angel Baby) from 好き好き大好き is another one of those...

I think it would be appropriate to put Sharaku Kobayashi in this category. A friend of mine said it's totally impossible to listen to him. However I think he's a genius, and when I hear songs like this I just die laughing. To me he makes bad vocals into an art form of its own, unlike some others in his genre.

Though on some songs actually he does pretty good vocals too.

Edit: Okay I take that back. Some songs are too much even for me -_-

Revisited this thread and just noticed your embed link

I must be a special snowflake since that "pseudo-glam rock-ish-grab-your-balls" scream @Decadence's chorus is what makes it memorable to me :)

iTSUKAAAAAAHRRRRRAHH

thats my favourite part of decadence and honestly it has some of my fav mejibray vocals

i kind of love biosphia and i especially love this song but the screamed vocals sound like complete and utter shit

yuuki has generally solid vocals (but kind of an awful range) but he does this BAK BAK BAK BAK and he sounds like a fucking death metal chicken smfh but it'd consider it a good WTF moment

there also so many random indiefag bands who cant sing to save their lives omfg

iTSUKAAAAAAHRRRRRAHH

thats my favourite part of decadence and honestly it has some of my fav mejibray vocals

i kind of love biosphia and i especially love this song but the screamed vocals sound like complete and utter shit

yuuki has generally solid vocals (but kind of an awful range) but he does this BAK BAK BAK BAK and he sounds like a fucking death metal chicken smfh but it'd consider it a good WTF moment

there also so many random indiefag bands who cant sing to save their lives omfg

Good call on the fucking death metal chicken being a good WTF moment :D fucking awesome song :3