CAT5

If ALL music was available to stream online, would you.....

streaming is not the same as possessing whether it's through downloads or the physical package itself. Going on to youtube to listen to a song by one of my favorite artists is far different from having itunes open and shuffling through their entire discog. by the simple flick of the mouse.

People still use itunes in 2010? Lulz! Worst crap ever!

i did :P

looks like my stance still the same 7+ years later

Edited by LIDL
updated post below

People still use itunes in 2010? Lulz! Worst crap ever!

lol u kids these days...it's cute really.

In case there's any misunderstanding, I am solely talking about the storage of music and not the purchasing of it

Now this took quite a long time for me to think about @CAT5.

On 10/13/2010 at 1:22 PM, CAT5 said:

Of course I'm being hypothetical here since this is impossible

As we look at the dozens of streaming services NOW that exist in 2018, the idea of no longer needing to purchase CDs/download music is SO much more possible than it was 8 years ago. Still highly improbable to have everything available to stream, but no longer impossible.

I think I would stop downloading music if this could one day happen. Shocking, I know, but it's actually a dream I hope technology can one day allow us to do.

Here's my reasoning why.

I think humans feel the need to "own" stuff

personally I'm quite fond of the concept of owning a physical album. For me, it gives a bit more depth to the music experience

The bane of my existence currently, is the sheer amount of digital/physical hoarding that I seem to have become addicted to doing in the last decade or so.

I do it because my curiosity got the better of me. Growing up, I sampled new (to me) music each week, and as time went on, I wanted more.

"More" became "even more". "Even more" soon became "I want all of it".

As a result, 2 things are apparent:

I've become numb to the music "experience", more so with newer releases.

I can't sit down and just enjoy an album. It's a fear that I eventually came to realize has now become a part of me. Instead of taking the time to appreciate a casual listening session, I already have in the back of my mind, the desire to seek the next thing to listen to. If my music collection could talk, it would describe the neglect and abandonment of being only part of a "collection", and holding no sentimental value to its owner.

Secondly, and possibly the more troublesome reason, is that I'm stuck with terabytes of music that I will NEVER be able to sit down and listen to more than once. I have hard drives up to my neck with music I don't even know if I like anymore. I've wasted more money than I would have liked to, just for the preservation of possible old relics.

If ALL music was available to stream online (and I understand that even the rarez would be included in this), I'd actually have the possibility of freeing myself from my own sickness that as you mentioned, I continue to feel I need. I understand that its human nature to feel attached to something you hold dear.

Multimedia is not one of those things imo, whether digital or physical.

Obviously there are MAJOR cons, but I wont get into details here.

Yes, definitely. I actually don't stream music at all. I do have iTunes and spotify, but I maybe use it once or twice a year, each.

In the past, I'd download every album that was tagged as "post-hardcore", so my digital collection was quite large, but after my musical preferences settled, I deleted most of the stuff.

Nowadays, I have my main band (previously Avenged Sevenfold, now DIR EN GREY) that I actually buy the releases from, and about 20 other bands that I rotate through when I'm not in the mood for DEG.

Also, nice thread necroing :^)

Edited by Seelentau

I am not onboard with streaming music, so I will still buy physical release regardless, even it becomes niche market and price are sky rocketing.

Not every countries have great wifi connections, and I try to minimize the use of 4G/5G, especially when abroad. Likewise, not all areas covered (i.e: inside an airplane, in middle of the sea during ferry/yacht ride, in middle of forest when camping, or on top of mountains when hiking) , and it is an issue for me cos I travel often.  

With physical release, I get comfort and practicality. I just rip the song into formats that worked in my devices, and I can listen anytime, anywhere. Even in flight mode. No fuss, no BS, no monthly/annually payments. And I get pretty booklets and even more if there's box set limited releases or such.

stream or own a physical copy, i don't care, altho physical copies mean a lot more to me if I actually care about the band. as for buying digital releases, that's much easier since it's much cheaper than paying $50 for shipping and shit.

Nothing replaces the sensation of having a physical cd, but the digital is more practical and fast, no one will take cds to listen on the street or outside the house

Since I finally joined spotify premium I have slowed down on downloading QUITE a bit. I'm surprised really... but it hasn't stopped my wanting to own physical copies. At the end of the day, I like album art, I like lyric books, I like seeing the writing and production credits all together in one convenient place. Streaming is nice for checking out new artists and enjoying popular ones... but when it comes to artists I love, I like to support them by buying the physical copy. And these days if I can get it in vinyl, even better. 

Now this necro-ing, I agree and fully support it. 

In the topic, I am against streaming music, it is not feasible. Takes up data, takes up energy and will drain battery life and unless you have set up your own server, the music doesn't stay with you. Owning copies will still be the way to go. 

Necro this in 8 years and maybe my stance will change.