CAT5

If ALL music was available to stream online, would you.....

still buy or download music? Of course I'm being hypothetical here since this is impossible, but a friend recently asked me a question similar to this and I'm curious to know what you all think.

Just imagine that EVERYTHING was available for streaming online...even all the underground and indie stuff you could think of. Let's just say that this streaming service is free of charge, available everywhere (car, ipod, mobile phone, game console, etc..), and can be accessed at your leisure.

Would you still bother downloading and buying music?

My answer to my friend was - yes. I think humans feel the need to "own" stuff...and personally I'm quite fond of the concept of owning a physical album. For me, it gives a bit more depth to the music experience...I know CDs are a dying format, though. But hell, even mp3s are tangible in a sense.

What do you all think?

I think yes.

But the amount could be decreasing.

But it would depend on the quality of the stream and if its possible to rip the original file from the website.

If its only a 128kbit/s i would still buy everything i want, but i think it would help sometimes if a band doesnt have any previews on their official sites.

As for buying: 90% of the music I buy is music I already downloaded before. So streaming availability doesn't really make a difference here.

As for downloading: I probably would. Streaming is just too bothersome. What if your internet connection is not availible? What if you want to put stuff on your portable mp3 player?

And yeah, I like to actually "have" stuff, even if it's just the data. For the same reason I also frown on the whole concept of "Cloud Computing" (ie. having a computer that is basically just a monitor, mouse, keyboard and modem, while all the data, programmes and even OS are stored and run on some server elsewhere) which is supposed to be the huge trend topic in the next decade or so. But it kinda doesn't feel right, lol.

Streaming is just too bothersome. What if your internet connection is not availible? What if you want to put stuff on your portable mp3 player?

Well, as I mentioned...hypothetically, you'd be able to receive the streaming service from anywhere...even on mp3 players lol. xD

The advantage to something like this is that it would save both money and megabytes haha...

But....I still couldn't see myself using a such a service. Even if it's music library was infinite xD

Good to see your opinions, though...my friend said that he'd be ALL FOR a such a service if it existed. It's funny because he buys a shitload of music, yet he considers physical CDs more bothersome. lol...

I don't think most of my download habits would change. I personally feel there's no e-pen stroking unless the file's on a hard drive you own of some sort. I'd probably buy more CDs if I were exposed to more streamed music so I could tell if I liked it or not without acquiring it illegally. My second biggest thwart to buying CD's, after not having the money for it of course, is that if I already have an album electronically, I'm a bit demotivated when it comes to having a physical copy unless I absolutely love it.

For me - Eh, if there is going to be stupid DJs and commercials then I wouldn't use it. It also depends on the level of control I have. Can I listen to a specific artist and song when I want and how much I want? Or is it going to be like a radio service where I just got to hope the song I like comes on? I sometimes get into a mood where I just want to listen to the same song over and over and over and over until I hate it and want to vomit. So it just depends on the level of control I guess. That control would also have to include editing songs to remove stupid sections of I want to skip. (Intros with rain/thunder, creaking doors, random breaks in the middle with some asshole talking for a minute, etc).

I'd probably still buy CDs because about 95% of the music I have downloaded before buying to it. Also I prefer having a physical copy and I'm also an obsessive collector.

Streaming is just too bothersome. What if your internet connection is not availible? What if you want to put stuff on your portable mp3 player?

Well, as I mentioned...hypothetically, you'd be able to receive the streaming service from anywhere...even on mp3 players lol. xD

Well, to be honest.... this is just a bit too hypothetical. I suppose if there really was an unlimited library of all music, that magically streams stuff over thin air to wherever you are, and is guaranteed to be there forever, then I guess I would stop saving mp3s on my computer, because obviously that method would be a lot more convienent. But that scenario has purposefully eliminated all possible disadvantages of streaming music which are

a) lack of access when offline

B) uncertainty of access (will it still be there next week?)

c) limited content

In this hypothetical scenario it isn't really "streaming music" anymore, but "all music of the world 100%ly guaranteed forever at your disposal wherever you are at the snap of a finger" - and yes, in that case I actually would stop storing mp3 on my computer. I wouldn't stop buying CDs, because that really is a different thing alltogether.

^ lol maybe I should have elaborated...of course, I meant streaming lol. And naturally, you'll need internet access to stream stuff.

With mp3 players, it wouldn't be inconceivable to make them with net access. Since this is all hypothetical lol, maybe the streaming service would offer their own mp3 players (well I guess they wouldn't be mp3 players in this case) that could connect to the service. xD

I'd still download stuff. I mean, streaming just isn't the same for me. I've gotten used to having a music library on my PC, so that's probably why I'd still download, and sometimes buy, the stuff that I want to listen to.

^ lol maybe I should have elaborated...of course, I meant streaming lol. And naturally, you'll need internet access to stream stuff.

With mp3 players, it wouldn't be inconceivable to make them with net access. Since this is all hypothetical lol, maybe the streaming service would offer their own mp3 players (well I guess they wouldn't be mp3 players in this case) that could connect to the service. xD

Well, I would say the need to "own" stuff (even if it's just mp3s) arises from the need of some sort of security, ie. knowing that the files are there, that you can access them now, tomorrow, next week... (or course there's always the possibility of HD failure, but you can protect yourself against that by making backups). If the music is stored on some server elsewhere, you never know for sure.... what if the internet connections fails? What if the service closed down next month? These might be irrational fears, as a matter of fact the files might be even more secure, since they are more likely to be backed-up, but as you said, psychologically most people probably will prefer the files "near" to them, where they have control over them and some sort of security (or an illusion thereof).

I would probably buy about as much CDs as I do at the moment.

Downloading? No, if I could access ALL music ANYWHERE, I don't see any reason to download stuff.

first: I love CDs. I love owning and buying them. It's me showing the respect and apreciation I have for the artist I like.

second: especially for Visual Kei bands, you get extra stuff and Instore events xD

so even with all being streamed I would never stop buying CDs

If such a thing were possible, I'd want to be sure:

-I could listen to the song/artist/genre I wanted to at anytime and not have to wait or filter through any crap I dislike

-Every artist whose music was put on there gave complete permission for it to be and/or it is absolutely legal

-Some sort of subsidies were given to the artists or companies for being streamed in some shape or form

But I still enjoy collecting CD's, so for artists I love a lot, I would still purchase their music in CD form. I like being able to look at the notes, the lyrics, and various other things that downloaded items don't have.

I would still buy and I would still download.

excellent discussion.

As for me, i'd still buy music for sure.

Streaming is good when fast connection internet is available, and for cheap.

But there's time where we would be in time and place

that eliminate these two main things for excellent streaming quality. Either when travelling, business trip, moving out to places that not so fast forward or just because people don't afford broadband yet.

I mean, just see with youtube, how many people got upset when the loading time are for ages in some countries/places that still use dial up connection for their home usage and GPRS for mobile internet.

With buying music, not only we can enjoy it whenever we want.

But also, if it's a hard copy (either CD or LP) it's also will become collectible items. And be "memento" for our life if i can put it like that. There'll be sentimental value in it too, that i doubt streaming could do the same.

ill use streaming to listen to the albums/singles that i cannot buy or acquire.

it will be a tester also if i will spend money on it or not.

many bands in myspace have their music streamed some for 40 secs others are in whole song duration.

this will also help to discover more music.

I'd love to use such a service to try out new artists/songs. But I don't feel like I "have" the music until I can hold a legal, physical copy in my hands, (the same goes for books and movies). Downloads, legal or illegal, and streaming are just for until I get enough money to buy the actual CD release.

I'd still buy things if the packaging is like, really really nice

Like a fancy special edition box or something with a signed photobook / poster / whatever

THIS!