Sign in to follow this  
DeithX252

Doujin Music Thread

Well this is my first discussion topic, I haven't seen this kind of topic so I made it :)

I know some of the member here love the doujin music!

First this is the definition of what is doujin and doujin music for noob according to wikipedia (because I am too lazy lol)

Dōjin (同人 dōjin), often romanized as doujin, is a general Japanese term for a group of people or friends who share an interest, activity, hobbies, or achievement. The word is sometimes translated into English as clique, fanfiction, coterie, society, or circle (e.g., a "sewing circle").

In Japan, the term is used to refer to amateur self-published works, including but not limited to manga, novels, fan guides, art collections, music and video games. Some professional artists participate as a way to publish material outside the regular publishing industry.

Dōjin music (同人音楽 doujin ongaku), also called otokei dōjin (音系同人) in Japan, is a sub-category of dōjin activity. Dōjin are basically non-official self-published Japanese works which can be based on official products or completely original creations. Such products are sold online on specialized sites, on the author's own sites and in conventions such as the very popular Comic Markets.

Dōjin music isn't a musical genre in itself but is indicative of a particular means of publication. (Similarly the term "indie" in the United States is used in this way.)

Dōjin music consists very often of video game music fan arrangements. Much original Dōjin music also exists, and has been created both for dōjin games and independently, spanning many musical genres such as pop, rock, techno and trance.

By nature, dōjin music is often self-produced, at low cost, by independent artists. Home-studio software is typically advantageous to dōjin music composers, as it is cheaper than studio mastering live instruments. As such, most Dōjin music has a distinct synthetic quality to it. It is common to have one live instrument (such as a guitar) backed up by synthetic orchestrations, though full instrumentation is becoming more and more common in dōjin music, such as orchestral works or dōjin jazz

Usually this kind of music is published at bigger event like Comiket or M3 (Music Mix-Media Market), although it is also published at smaller event like Vocamas (Vocaloid Master), Reitaisai, or Touhou Kouroumu, etc. The group of people who made the doujin music is called Circle, although the circle is referred as a band or solo singer too, sometimes. The genre? Doujin music scene has a wide range of genre, from pop/rock, EDM, power metal, melodic death metal, indie rock, ambient, metalcore, post hardcore, trance, gothic, denpa, jazz, hip hop, bossa nova, classical, I think there is a possibility in any genre. In doujin music term, there is original and arrangement song (the most famous one is Touhou arrangement! :P). Both are great, although I prefer to listen the original one because its originality makes more awesome!

Post your favorite doujin circle/music here, and share your opinion how good the doujin music is! I will share my fave music soon. This thread can be used for upcoming release or other information related to doujin  :)

I'm not very familiar with doujin music but I happened to stumble on some circles and the more popular songs when I was living in Japan.

2 of my favorites (and they are really famous so I guess most doujin fans will be familiar with them XD):

Alstroemeria Records - Bad Apple!! feat. nomico (this is super addictive)

Gazelle - Last Night, Good Night (calm and peaceful, I like it)

nice choice! I like them too XD. Bad apple was booming in 2009/2010 I think? And Last Night, Good night song is covered by Yanagi nagi, my fave singer. Vocaloid cover song is also my fave in doujin music!

and this is my favorite circle:

Primary - イナイセカイ

well Primary is one of the oldest circle, exist from 2007. They play nice, heartwarming pop rock, addictive!

-PF AUDIO- - 響感と塊放/feat.きよの

-PF AUDIO- play nice music, mix between pop, indie rock, and post rock, very recommended

Foreground Eclipse

yeah everyone here know about this circle right? XD. They are my first circle and introduce me to doujin music, too bad they are disbanded

鹿乃 - 天ノ弱

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PvqkCR0n0

鹿乃 (kano) cover vocaloid song, she has girly loli voice, and so cute~.

Draw the Emotional - Accept your fate now

I am a big fan of Yuyoyuppe, and this is his circle, so AWESOME! They play electro-post hardcore, arranging touhou music, into different form. I hope this circle will release something new

LUNETIA - the wind of flowers

top notch nico nico artist gathering into one band? And this is called Lunetia, cool alternative rock!

Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets

they play original and touhou cover song, pretty upbeat and have high spirit

this is  far as I can remember, will post more in the future

I'm glad there's a topic for this now! I wouldn't count him as a circle but he's a guest on many EDM compilations in the doujin scene, Nhato really stands out to me

his most recent song which was featured on cYsmix's voodooism

I found out about him through his original album ETUDE and since then I've enjoyed most of his contributions to the doujin music sene :)

I'm mostly into doujin trance music. Diverse System is the one circle I try to keep up with. Here are some of my favorites:

satella - Seekers (I love the piano usage in trance)

Tiegel - Destination

RIGHT STUFF - Flaming Orbit

Some of Nagi Yanagi's stuff during her doujin days with Jun Maeda were good. Same goes for nano.

Jun Maeda x Nagi Yanagi - Owari no Sekai Kara

nano - 5150

I am not into EDM or trance music, but the stuff that you posted is great! I think I will check the album

also yanagi nagi's collaboration with annabel, called binaria, is  magnificent, also with MANYO, the cicle name is mamenoi, too bad nagi is busy with her major debut now

add my favorite more!

Mizu-scale/10minimal

https://soundcloud.com/10minimal/10minimal-mizu-scale-2014-m3

latest release by mizu-scale, it's very relaxing ambient & down tempo music

Recently I discovered lasah, enjoyable electronic pop, she released album every M3 event

she has good english accent, somehow her voice mature and sometimes can be cute <3

Tetra Edge

yes this music is filled by Merami (ex Foreground Eclipse's vocalist), somehow I like this type of pop rock/pop punk music with melodic guitar, they are a bit underrated though ^ ^

Osamuraisan

osamuraisan is one of the best acoustic guitar player, he often cover song especially vocaloid song. The video above is a collaboration with Hanatan as vocal

marasy

for piano player, I think marasy is godly, that speed!

btw latest event is M3-33 (2014.04.27, http://www.m3net.jp/), in this event the releases are mainly original music (touhou is a rare here), although I don't follow much circle, I am still looking forward to any decent release!

i never got the full hang of doujin music unfortunately, i guess most of the time the horrid sound of the production made me back of a bit :D it is definitely a field that i should explore more, because it essentially is like the nerdiest thing that humankind has come up with so far. selfpublished powermetal covers with computergenerated voices to songs of hardcore indie vertical-scroller bullet-hell videogame soundtracks.... that sentence oozes nerdism out of every particle :P

that beeing said, there is one artist(/circle?) that grabbed my attention, which is DEMETORI

he is (like most of them) a damn rad guitar-shred machine, but also has the skills for a very fine production of his also pretty sweet arrangements

shameless self-promotion ahead

i even did a Cover/Reproduction of one of his tracks (a re-recorded cover of a rearranged cover so to say...)

also i need to mention one particular circle/album, which is just too damn addictive (and the production is sort of just listenable enough ^^)

and that is the one album by Undead Corporation, where they mixed their powermetal/metalcore with taiko drums and flutes and ditched the shouting/scrreming vocals to create some of the most epic and melodic tracks i have discovered in the wide field of anything "metal" so far...

Demetori x UC is the vanguard of modern doujin for me. I fell off the wagon a while ago when a lot of my favorite circles disbanded, formed new bands outside of the scene to continue making the same music, or just started sucking. Will gladly take suggestions for bands that don't sound like total ass.

Sign in to follow this