CAT5

The Official Game/Anime/Movie OST thread!

Champ made a thread like this for games last year, but I've made this thread to include osts from all different formats.

I found an old CD-R of anime music I burned around 2003 (I was 16), and was reminded of an oooooooooooooold bgm that I remember hearing as a child. It brought back such a profound gust of nostalgia that I decided to make this thread to share it.

So yeah, feel free to share your favorite tracks from Games, Anime, Movies, or whatever...as long as they're awesome! :D

-

This track comes wayyyyyyyyyy back from the late 80's! It's from Yoroiden Samurai Troopers aka Ronin Warriors. Classic imo!

and this is the same melody, but a slightly different interpretation:

I'll post some more later. There's so much stuff out there that I love, so I'll just post in small doses :P

Let me start with motherfucking 澤野弘之 (Hiroyuki Sawano). Everything this man touches turns to gold. He has composed for video games and dramas, but is most known for his anime compositions. His most recent (and known) works have been the OSTs for shows like Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn. He often works together with the same singers, being mpi, Aimee Blackschleger, Mika Kobayashi and Cyua. Here are a few of my personal favourites:

(from Gundam Unicorn)

(from Attack on Titan)

(also from Attack on Titan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNo0EhDhpBE

(from Kill la Kill)

I also really dig the OST from the Kingdom Hearts games, composed by Yoko Shimomura. I wasn't too fond of the OST of the past few Final Fantasy games, but I've heard that they recruited Shimomura to replace the composers of FFXIII to compose for Final Fantasy XV. The song OMNIS LACRIMA of said OST has already been released on her memorial album last month:

I'll probably think of more later.

Wow nice thread! :D

I didn't know nothing about the song OMNIS LACRIMA from FFXV. In general I'm really happy with the work of Yoko Shimomura, then my expectation for the FFXV OST has grown a lot. Damn it I've to get a PS4 as soon as possible for KHIII and FFXV :wan-48:

EDIT:

Yay! I found memória! The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura!, I'll upload it later :P

^ YES. Shiki OST is godlike <3 it's so mysterious ill omen sounding... Loved it so much :) also really like the OP an ED for Shiki, that one Buck Tick song is awesome.

pretty much everything Sawano does is gold and it''s been accurately represented in the thread so far thanks to sai :D I also didn't know about that FFXV track either so I thank you for that.

But now I would like to introduce everyone to some new talent that has came on to the anime OST scene, Hayashi Yuki who recently did the Gundam Build Fighters OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZRlcut2kM&list=PLSro7M1KGXTVGizgoaDi9JYrcxiloaC43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGURaVeE0bw

Fucking loved the OST and I'll probably upload it pretty soon ;)

Idk I liked it quite a bit, maybe you need to listen to it more? i don't know.. I definitely think it's better than just average, although I agree in the sense that I wouldn't call it the best or anything like that, and yeah "Rival" is one of my favorites as well.

I listened to it twice all the way through giving my full attention. Most of the tracks weren't that memorable to me. They're great songs when accompanied with the show but it doesn't hold up to its own.

One anime OST I have to give mention to is Blast of Tempest. Truly one of the most compelling soundtracks I've heard in the last couple years. All orchestral pieces that sounds theatrical and majestic that really plays with your emotions. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only types of instruments used were string and wind. It's been a while since I've listened it.

Let me start with motherfucking 澤野弘之 (Hiroyuki Sawano). Everything this man touches turns to gold. He has composed for video games and dramas, but is most known for his anime compositions. His most recent (and known) works have been the OSTs for shows like Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill and Gundam Unicorn. He often works together with the same singers, being mpi, Aimee Blackschleger, Mika Kobayashi and Cyua. Here are a few of my personal favourites:

Yeah, I pretty much consider Sawano to be the Hans Zimmer of anime - always brilliantly epic. Also, I don't believe you've shared that FF track with me before, but it's awesome!

Also, I totally fell in love with the Shiki OST again. So good.

I've never heard of shiki, but the track you shared is lovely. I'll definitely look into it!

But now I would like to introduce everyone to some new talent that has came on to the anime OST scene, Hayashi Yuki who recently did the Gundam Build Fighters OST

I haven't finished GBF yet (I'm around the 10th ep or so) and I haven't actually listened to the OST on it's own yet, but just from watching the show - I've really been pleased with the score. I haven't seen a ton of anime series with music worthy of note, so on that merit alone, I wouldn't consider it to be an average score. Although it's certainly not the most amazing score I've ever heard (that would still be GITS:SAC for me). ^_^'

In another fit of nostalgia, I'd also like to go all the way back to 1989 to visit Phantasy Star II, which was an RPG released on the sega genesis. The music on this game will forever hold a place in my memory...such wonderfully crafted tunes for such a limited sonic palette

I remember this being played on a few exotic maps during the game

THE BEST FUCKING "GAME OVER" MUSIC EVER MADE!

This track was played during the very end of the game during the climax/one fucked up twist. Basically the source of the game's evil was unveiled and it was pretty sad/depressing. This game had a hella bitter-sweet ending (mostly bitter tho, heh)

One anime OST I have to give mention to is Blast of Tempest. Truly one of the most compelling soundtracks I've heard in the last couple years. All orchestral pieces that sounds theatrical and majestic that really plays with your emotions. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only types of instruments used were string and wind. It's been a while since I've listened it.

These are niiice! I'm a sucker for classical and orchestral music, so I'm gonna have to track down this OST too. You just reminded me of the Le Chevalier D'Eon soundtrack which I also thought was great!

Eh, I'll throw in one more just for the hell of it. Heh.

This one tends to be overlooked mainly due to the show not being received well enough that it deserves but another beautiful orchestral work is all the Fafner OSTs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find some of the best ones on youtube so you'll just have to do some digging. My favorite tracks are "Prologue" & "Marine Snow" from Fafner: Right of Left OST and "FAFNER in the azure" & "Kunou" from OST1

Eh, I'll throw in one more just for the hell of it. Heh.

This one tends to be overlooked mainly due to the show not being received well enough that it deserves but another beautiful orchestral work is all the Fafner OSTs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find some of the best ones on youtube so you'll just have to do some digging. My favorite tracks are "Prologue" & "Marine Snow" from Fafner: Right of Left OST and "FAFNER in the azure" & "Kunou" from OST1

I'm one of those people who ended up on Soukyuu and really liked it. About the "not being received well enough" part though, it's getting a new season this winter. Sequel to the movie I believe. Can't wait tbh.

So I can't not post some of the best anime scores I've heard in a very long time here xD

Ladies and gentlemen I present the awesome sounds of hunter x hunter (2011) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGnMJXJsJw&list=PLcoH4BBwgPCgcsapedbAokRfcpejYGtEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVVdVcpeq3M&list=PLcoH4BBwgPCgcsapedbAokRfcpejYGtEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oZRSWcwnk4&list=PLcoH4BBwgPCgcsapedbAokRfcpejYGtEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nmghZ0PMpI&list=PLcoH4BBwgPCgcsapedbAokRfcpejYGtEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQ6dtf5yeI

just breathtaking, and all those are just from the third ost which has scores from the most recent arc... there are some really amazing scores that are played during the phantom troupe arc, like this one

not only is this show currently my favorite battle anime, but it has some of the most memorable and amazing scores I've heard in a long time.

Yeah it's really a great series not just because of the soundtrack either, it's a shame though because for some reason people are overlooking the show right now... :( It really doesn't make no sense, I feel a lot of people see the childish outward appearance of the main characters and write it off, but that's totally not correct while the MC's are young they are actually way more mature than most other characters in other similar shounen. Plus Togashi the mangaka has a really unique method or approach to the shounen genre... I can't explain it other than it seems like he tries to steer clear of the cliche's that riddle the genre and tries different and more unique approaches to the storytelling and plot outcomes... really you just have to read or watch it to understand what I mean.

btw didn't mention before but the composer for the Soundtrack is 平野義久 aka Yoshihisa Hirano, who is actually very well known and is a rather experienced anime composer, hes done other stuff most notably the Death Note soundtrack and Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack (you know the one with the best music) among quite a few others.

Listening to some of the tracks from the Shingeki no Kyojin OST again....man, this anime DID NOT deserve Sawano lol

yeah and It's so painfully obvious too...

well since the last time I posted here I did anime, this time I'll post some tracks from one of my favorite Video game soundtracks Nier

These are just a hand full of random tracks I just youtubed, but literally there is not one bad song on the sound track which is comprised of almost 40 songs in total... It has quickly became one of my favorite Video game Sound Tracks of all time and the game is still in my best RPG's of the last console Generation list, and may very well be my favorite RPG on the PS3. 

This is pretty much another OST that I should probably upload here at some point, I'll get on that sooner or later XD

^ I heard a NieR tribute album which was amazing (I checked it out because I featured Japanese artists i like such as world`s end girlfriend, Schroeder-Headz, and sexy synthesizer) - but I never bothered to check out the original. Gonna have to do that soon!

Listening to some of the tracks from the Shingeki no Kyojin OST again....man, this anime DID NOT deserve Sawano lol

All in all I think that if it weren't for Sawano's music this anime wouldn't be half as good as it is, lmao.

I mean it's a decent show and I enjoyed it, but the manga is becoming really political at the moment, there's hardly any titan-killing involved anymore and the plot is getting too confusing for my taste (also I really REALLY don't like the main character, Eren Jaeger is probably my least favourite character from the "good guys"). The only characters that I really liked were Erwin, Levi, Hange and Mike but -

SPOILERS FOR THE MANGA

now that Mike died and it's fairly certain that Erwin will die in the next chapter (as he's named Hange as his successor) I hardly have any motivation to read this stuff anymore.

The people who make this out to be the best anime they've ever seen obviously haven't seen a lot of anime.

In terms of videogame soundtracks, everything featuring Akira Yamaoka is great. (Also, pretty much all games by Suda51 and Platinum Games for that matter)

BEHOLD:

Also, let us not forget the legendary, iconic...

In my part (VGM-wise), I might mention some of my biggest favorites:

note: basically like 90% of this OST is pure Acapella, heh

so ambient...so nostalgia-inducing

Kinda obvious choice, considering that most grew up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S74JNpYAG0

read: spyro part

and finally...

Hands down of the most memorable 8/16-bit tunes ever

This tune from the BBC Sherlock series is very haunting. The way they implemented it into episode 4 was just too immaculate!

The best anime OST of all time (for me at least) is Cowboy Bebop. A bunch of feelings....

Playlist:

Close the topic, no more to do here, move on LOL

So I've been playing Shovel Knight a lot lately and I've just fallen in love with the soundtrack...

you can grab the OST over at the bandcamp HERE for free, but srsly they deserve a little compensation if you ask me... I mean they even got the lady who did the original megaman music Manami Matsumae on board to do this soundtrack!

there's also an arranged soundtrack with a bunch of different participating artists that is worth checking out as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTupVILyzkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0qWnkJP5h4

again you can grab the arranged sound track over at the bancamp HERE for free.