Sign in to follow this  
blackdoll

グリーヴァ (Grieva)

^ Haha, no worries, I was a bit iffy on Kyouki's vocals in the beginning too (especially when trying some of their previous band Reload... HAHAHA no. xD) but I realized it fits the music quite nicely. Glad to hear you found something to your liking. :) Their 3 latest songs have some cool stuff going on too.

I like the singles, I really do. But I still can‘t shake off the feeling I have heard whole portions of the songs already a dozen times both somewhere else and within their own discography. I know that bragging about this band being repetitive and not trying to take risks and playing it safe is annyoing, because we are all aware of it and Grieva obviously do not want to be anything else (they also do not seem to deny it like other bands). Well, there is still the next mini album. I am hoping for something as surprising as Shuuen, which was not as much of a copy pasta release and while I didn‘t like it on the spot it slowly started to grow on me. I wish they could deliver that again.

^ Haha, no worries, I was a bit iffy on Kyouki's vocals in the beginning too (especially when trying some of their previous band Reload... HAHAHA no. xD) but I realized it fits the music quite nicely. Glad to hear you found something to your liking. :) Their 3 latest songs have some cool stuff going on too.

oh yeah the 3 singles are easily their best releases

they're criminally catchy and pretty brutal for kotekei LOL

That last single Insomnia makes me want to come back

Yeah, the last single wasn't bad. Nice mix of old and new and less formulaic. I really had the feeling that their recent releases are all too similiar and that they were just rehashing the same old songs over and over. Hopefully they keep up with that for their upcoming material.

I wonder though when we will get to see full versions of some of their newer PVs. Didn't they release a PV collection a few months back?

^ They released 2 PV collections so far on DVD, the last one being a year old (2014/10/01)... so I'm guessing we might get a 3rd DVD early next year, maybe with the coming of a potential new CD release?

They have a oneman on november 3rd, maybe they'll annonce something new.

I'm also waiting for that 3rd PV DVD, they have 6 new PVs since the release of the last one, it's time for a new one! 

^ Yeah, the last one had about that amount of PVs, so I'm definitely awaiting some sort of release announcement at their oneman (as they usually do xD).

im so fucking excited for the new album no one gets it

like i've listened to the gennei syndrome spot so many times i can sing the whole chorus and the bassline. tfw u went from hating the band to borderline obsession over the course of a year. i hope they chill out on the diru stuff and incorporate more of the madeth/kote + MM influences, partially because its more interesting than ripping off diru for the nth time cuz that musical palette they use isn't referenced enough in modern vk. also PLZ moar twin guitar leads, thats so deliciously old school.

the day grieva broaden the influences they borrow from is the day they'll deadass kill vk, they're just so good.

thanks to them, I'm prepare to listen gossip now ^-^

(just saw some critical comment on kondon no hako

I beg most people would take some times listening to catch the music, but some don't take more than one or two)

yea well my initial impression is pretty dull on kondon no hako tbh. It's the same that happened with Shuuen as well, so I'm prepared to give it some more time. I think it would be easier to get into their albums if they didn't release 16 track albums. Rather focused their creative effort on lesser amount of songs, but I suppose this is their way of doing things.. so whatever.

Anyone know why -in the Blue- is so short? Because it's such a cliché of a j-rock song? It sounds pretty cool and I would have loved it to be a full length.

I am probably the only person who likes their Shuuen album the most and dislikes their debut. Oni to Kage just sounded like a rehash of old Dir en grey songs. I can just listen to the originals, considering how similiar some songs are to each other. With Shuuen they at least attempted to do something of their own. And I personally loved it a lot, because it was a wonderful trip through nostalgic memory lane.

But I agree that this album didn't turn out the way as expected. After their last VA songs and the insomnia single I expected a lot, especially a heavy style change (to something more fresh and unique than their current standard sound). The VAs had also nice Madeth gray'll and Malice Mizer vibes. I wish they would have explored that further. I am glad though, that they kept experimenting more with guitar solos and melodies this time. But yeah, the same-y screams get bland and grating after a while. 

Also yeah, in the Blue is such a fine nice song with a wonderufl melodic 90s VK touch. A damn shame they cut it so short!

I think I'm having the same issue with Konton no Hako that I had with Shuuen, which is that I didn't think much of it when I first listened to it, but I gave it a few more tries and eventually it grew on me more than Oni to Kage. So I hope after listening to KnH a few more times, it'll grow on me more also. There are certainly already a few tracks I like a lot.

To me, Oni to kage was so much fun when it was released (tho more along the lines of "spot that homage!" lol), but with Shuuen they really upped their game playing cool and interesting tunes. It was a strong package. As for this new album, I'm still not quite sure where I stand... I mean I do enjoy the majority of the songs, but there are so many and they're so short for the most part that I'm having trouble remembering any of them. It's an enjoyable listen tho.

The pinnacle for me is still Shuuen and the Mousou shugisha no haitoku. mini album (especially the latter!).

Edited by Jigsaw9

Now that I'm starting to recognize songs from each other, I'm really starting to like this album more! The beginning of the album is really strong! However I still feel like it's missing some stand out tracks. I kinda wish they would've saved insomnia for this album.. With Shuuen I was listening to 灰降ル丘... non-stop, but Konton no Hako doesn't have songs like that /:

The new album has some good songs on it, but there's very little experimentation. I liked track 3 the most, I believe, and then Genocide GAME even if it is the 3rd time they ripped off "Karma." Thus far, 2015 is the best year of their discography for me.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

My opinion about Grieva has changed a little bit recently.

This album has some good songs, but the romantic ones sound uninspired to me, like they composed them simply because an album has to have them...

Also the aggressive ones are getting a bit monotonous.

I criticise their tendency to release so many songs. Some of their songs start very interestingly but as soon as they reach the chorus they lose power. I attribute that to the fact that the more songs you write the less time to polish the previous ones.

I still like the band, but I think the band needs to receive some criticism.

I lost all respect for them after they ripped of this song if i actually had any since i think i was just holding onto reload

and that was there worst album it was as good a aqulium's. and what the hell happen to his vocals? karma is better than him for sure now

So what are everyone's thoughts on the new single? I've only listened through it once so far but none of the tracks really left an impression on me (well, 3 kinda did, but mostly just because it's so ???). Who knows, maybe it'll end up like Liar and grow on me with time.

I'm a little worried that promotion and budget seemed so low for this release. I hope it's not a bad omen of what's to come for the band. :(

Sign in to follow this