Sign in to follow this  
Karma’s Hat

Miyavi - What's my name

1. What's My Name? - On my fourth listen to the song, I find it infectious and addicting, but not really great. It's like he's jamming together all the elements from "This iz the Japanese Kabuki Rock" with "Gagaku" That's the vibe I'm getting from this introdction. Not necessarily a bad thing... Actually... As I'm listening to it more and more, I'm really liking it! 5/5

2. Torture - Good single is still good 5/5

3. A-Ha - A pretty catchy song, but nothing I could listen to over and over again. It reminds me a lot of old-west bike gangs. Am I alone in this? 4/5

4. Chillin' Chillin' Money Blue$ - I cannot make it through this song. I find it dreadful in all forms. 2/5

5. I Love You, I Love You, I Love You, and I Hate You - A pretty good song, has really good moments, but not perfct 4/5

6. Moon - Same as I Love You. Had really nice moments, but pretty slow, but not bad and above average so 4/5

7. Gravity - Entirely too long for this type of album, but it had some really amazing moments, but it was overall just too slow because there was too much... nothing. There was too mch witing for another part of the song to be good, I guess is what I'm trying to say. However, the parts that were good were VERY good. 4/5

8. Universe - I felt like it was very well done as well, but the problem here was that it was a lot of the same stuff over and over again. 4/5

9. Unbreakable - Great rhythm, but same problem as last time. A lot of the same stuff over and over again. 4/5

10. Shelter - Okay, this I must say was very well done. I definitely liked this one the best so far. Chorus was realy amazing, a definite 5/5

11. Super Hero - I know this was a single, but this is the first time I've heard this song. And I'm impressed. 5/5

12. Sutekina Mirai - Your token well-done MYV ballad. 5/5

13. Futuristic Love - Unbreakable part 2 4/5

14. Survive - So much better on the album than on the single, by 100% 5/5

I've been very liberal on the ratings because they're not necessarily bad songs, they're just... not that great. Except for CCMB which was just horrible.

I freaking love this album. i'm too tired to do a full track by track review atm but lets just say the album gets a 9/10 from me. Welcome back Miyavi! I love it!

I will also say that Gravity is fucking epic! 10/10 FUCKING EPICNESS!

Honestly, the first time i hear it,

it wasn't quite impressed me.

But after few listens, it grows.

thanks goodness it's evening in here, so i could

listen to this album with full clarity and concentration from my iPod while laying on my bed.

and,

I love this album!

This album is rock, as in real pure rock.

With some funk and grunge influences on it.

I compare it with RHCP circa 1984-1989 (self titled to mother's milk) and some 90s rock bands like Motley Crue, Stone Temple Pilots, Gin Blossoms and such which i loved. Though, i have to underline that, Meev didn't really stole these bands styles blatantly, just absorbing some as influences. And it sounded good tbh.

The guitar licks are so sensuous,

really funky. To be honest when it come to voice, we should not wish too much with Meev. And thats how this album is.

Guitar are the main attraction here.

I really adore his skills at doing guitar picking, slapping, string muting and all other exotic techniques when playing acoustic guitar. theres some riffs, but if you wishing for super riffs like in metal does, the just forget it. Meev didn't do that here.

This album just a good old rock,

an album that good to getting jiggy with all friends.

get yourself some shindig and blast this album,

and have fun.

It's good to hear something different from vk (and ex-VK) rock artist. Not just screamming and growling and some Japanese style ballad all the time. it's a bit of fresh air, really.

Verdict: welldone album. Though this album is not for everyone. Knowing majority VK listeners like it with growls and angry chords. So i guess this album may not be received very well, unless for people that have vast library in music :P

Ive only heard it twice, but I'm impressed this far. He could have left out Chillin' Chillin' Money Blue$ though. Not a bad song at all, just far from as good as the rest. Torture and Gravity is by far the stand out stracks.

As for now I'll give it 7/10. But I need to listen to it way mroe before I know for sure.

It's a very fine album. Even though I've only listened to it once so far, it surprised me in a positive way! Some raw guitar sounds while keeping it in Miyavi style. This really gets me back into his music.

damn, only like superhero

rest just sucks ass=S really regret buying this cd, and then im glad i bought the limited cheaper version and not that limited editon with dvd wich i first was considering.

just dont like the style, his bad english, his rapping, the sort of bad distortion over the sound

hes fun live, love his old work (galyuu/gagaku) but this is a whole new level of sucking

this is just bad.

the new style is defenitely interesting and cool.

but that doesnt help at all when the songs are composed in such a horrible way.

dont like ONE song. survive, torture and universe stood out but oooops still right into the trash can.

even if you LOVE the album i swear you wont listen to this again in thre months cause youre fed up with this style of music

even if you LOVE the album i swear you wont listen to this again in thre months cause youre fed up with this style of music

And you know this how? Care to explain how you know someone won't listen to it in three months?

Best comment I've seen in a while. :lol:

And you know this how? Care to explain how you know someone won't listen to it in three months?

2nd

what i wanted to say was: this is a type of music/writing style which you can only hate. well, of course there are people who love this! but they end up hating it, cause this music is annoying. people who love this will lsiten to it many times but sometime they will be ultra fed up by it.

and i am shanaynays sister i kno what i'ma talkin bout!

by the way, how the f*** could there be a pubic hair in the albums booklet?

what i wanted to say was: this is a type of music/writing style which you can only hate. well, of course there are people who love this! but they end up hating it, cause this music is annoying. people who love this will lsiten to it many times but sometime they will be ultra fed up by it.

and i am shanaynays sister i kno what i'ma talkin bout!

by the way, how the f*** could there be a pubic hair in the albums booklet?

Lol'd. And I thought Gazette haters wrote stupid comments.

Anyway. Beginning was pretty disappointing. It got better though.

What's My Name?

Boring. Nothing interesting happening here. Really good playing though. But it's nothing but a filler. 2/5

Torture

Very good. One of his best songs in a long time. Very addicting. Awesome chorus. 4/5

A-ha

Aha? It had one good part. That's it. 1½/5

Money Blues

Pretty much the same as A-ha. Nothing interesting. Catchy groove, but nothing groundbreaking. 2/5

I Love You

I love it. Very groovy, has a nice 60's feel to it for some reason. Simple, but very well done. 5/5

Moon

Great playing, great composing. Very nice melodies, very beautiful song. One of his best. 5/5

Gravity

Terrible. Just terrible. Four clean notes and crappy screaming with one chord. And he manage to make it 6 minutes? What the hell? Worst song of the album. 1/5

Universe

Snore. It had like one riff with little variations. Blah. And it wasn't even a good riff. 1/5

Unbreakable

Filler again. Nothing worth listening to. 1/5

Shelter

Finally a good song again. Main riff is really cool. It has some nice melodic vocals. Not bad at all. 3½/5

Super Hero

Not as good as the original version, but it's still very good. One of his best songs ever. Though, his vocals aren't at his best here. 4½/5

Sutekina Mirai

Beautiful. Very old-ish sounding. Good playing, good vocals. 4/5

Futuristic Love

An okay song. Really interestin riffs, but there's really nothing happening there. 2/5

Survive

Much better than the single version. So glad he re-recorded it. 4/5

Well, half of the songs are really good. Half are boring or just simply sucks. It's not as good as I was expecting. He's clearly trying to do some uncommercial underground stuff. But he shouldn't have made the whole album like this. More variation would've been good. Or atleast he should have taken more time to compose. Some songs sound like they were written in like an hour. Good effort though. Has some instant classics.

srsly, I didn't like that album...

Only songs I like are Torture and Survive ... the rest is just... boring...

If he is sooo great on guitar, why doesn't he play something "hard", what actually sounds good too?

he's done that before. if you know anything about miyavi though you would know that he's always changing his style. If you want harder try his indie releases.

srsly, I didn't like that album...

Only songs I like are Torture and Survive ... the rest is just... boring...

If he is sooo great on guitar, why doesn't he play something "hard", what actually sounds good too?

That's the problem, he's not that great on guitar,

i only liked the song hero and torture was ok.

Is it a problem not to be great on guitar? Do you really have to be Malmsteen or Petruchi to be able to write good songs?

He's not a good guitarist, but what's more important than being a good guitarist? Being able to make good songs, something which a lot think he does.

And if you ask me it's also way more important to be able to write and play things that just scream your name. Identity FTW lzm!

I'd never recognize Malmsteen or Petruchi unless I knew it was them playing, but a guy like Miyavi is easy to recognize because of his more or less special and unqie style. So he's a really good guitarist? Nah, not really. Does he make good songs (in my opinion)? Yes he does and he has his own identity. Nice combo right there!

Is it a problem not to be great on guitar? Do you really have to be Malmsteen or Petruchi to be able to write good songs?

He's not a good guitarist, but what's more important than being a good guitarist? Being able to make good songs, something which a lot think he does.

A lot of people are wrong then. But oh well, carry on.

He traveled into the future and tracked your listening habits.

/shot

In terms of the album, I haven't heard it yet, but REALLY want to, judging by the majority of reviews I'm seeing.

But the thing is that Miayvi is an excellent guitarist. Moon and Super Hero are great examples of that. It's just that the composing sucks in half of these songs. But the rest is great. I wasn't expecting this to be the greatest thing ever. It's good enough for me.

No, because Malmsteen is one of the worst song writers I've heard in my life.

Sign in to follow this