Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Copycats/clones

I thought about posting this in the global music section since most of the bands I know of are non-Japanese and metal, but decided to put it here anyway. Mods feel free to move it if you think that's best.

This is a thead without any originality whatsoever. Llet me just start off by explaining what this thread is about. This isn't a band that went in the same direction as band X, that stole a few riffs or perhaps a whole song or just covered a song or ten. This is about bands that does everything in their power to sound exactly like their heroes, and most importantly, don't try to hide it one bit, while making original music. So no, Sadie, 12012 and all those doesn't belong in this thread. Anyone got any bands like this?

It would be much appreciated if you could include the names of the copycats and originals, write a little something about what's so similar

I'll start off with a few:

Warrhammer (Hellhammer)

This is basically a fanatic Hellhammer tribute band that writes their own songs. They have one rule, and one rule only: to sound as much like Hellhammer as possible. In interviews they often talked about how they spent years to gather the proper equipment to resemble the production (guitar tone, bass tone, drum sound etc.) as perfectly as possible, and - despite the albums' popularity - they often disown their earlier material for not sounding similar enough to Hellhammer.

The sound is very similar both song- and production-wise, and their coverarts, logo, and album titles refrence those of Hellhammer

The copycat

The original

Apokalyptic Raids (Hellhammer/Celtic Frost)

Same as above, just not as fanatic. But the sound is similar, and their coverarts, logo, and album titles refrence those of Hellhammer and Celtic Frost (the continuation of Hellhammer). These guys have a bit more of their own sound than Warhammer, though, but still to be considered copycats. Very much so.

The copycat

The Original

Hellfire (Bathoy)

Bathory copycat to the core. The album sounds like a lost Bathory album from 84/85, especially the first 3/4th of the album.

The copycat

The original

Insane (Slayer)

These guys can't get enough of "Show No Mercy" and decided to make something that sounded like it was written by Slayer in 82, but not considered good enough by Slayer.

The copycat

The original

I'll come back with more.

Mourning Noise (Misfits)

This band started a few years after Misfits, but were from the same area and knew some of the members of Misfits and focused on horror-related themes for most part as well. One of the members would later play in other Danzing-related bands. You won't find a better Misfits clone/copycat than this.

The copycat

The original

Kinstrife & Blood (Summoning)

Epic/atmospheric black metal in the vein of Summoning. Everything about the music here, from the sound, to the way the drums are programmed, to the songwriting just screams Summoning.

The copycat

The original

Caladan Brood (Summoning)

While a lot more original than Kinstrife & Blood, there's still so much Summoning over the sound here that it's impossible to view them as anything but a Summoning copycat band.

The copycat

The original

Whoah, Insane sounds pretty cool! Might check them out since I already dig old-school Slayer.

Can't really add anything to this thread tho... I almost wrote Grieva but only their first album and parts of subsequent singles are Dir en grey inspired, and they seem to draw from other sources/influences as well (while also adding their own thing).

edit: Oh right, I heard about this band called Portrait (non-Japanese) who are apparently really big King Diamond & Mercyful Fate worshippers. Haven't heard more than one track from them, so can't really judge the validity of that statement.

edit: Oh right, I heard about this band called Portrait (non-Japanese) who are apparently really big King Diamond & Mercyful Fate worshippers. Haven't heard more than one track from them, so can't really judge the validity of that statement.

I can vouch for this. Not as close to the original as some of the other bands mentioned here, but the whole album reeks of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond anno 82-86. Great band, and they've got a new album comming. New song was fabolous, and much closer to their debut then their second one. Worth checking out for fans of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.

Cast Iron (Running Wild)

They sound and look like Running Wild did before they got obsessed with pirates.

The copycat

The original

Disclose (Discharge)

Disclose is Discharge with more fuzz and distortion. A rawer sounding Discharge.

The copycat

The original

Incarnator (Bathory)

This old Norwegian band worshipped Bathory's second album, The Return. Not much is known about this band other than that it sounds like old Bathory and sounds amazing.

The copycat

The original

It would be cool if others could contribute to this thread as I mainly know of metal bands copying other metal bands.

Finsterforst (Moonsorrow)

I don't know much about this band other than that they wish they were Moonsorrow. These guys (at least their second album) sounds like old Moonsorrow, before they got darker and progessive with "Verisäkeet". It's not nearly as good as Moonsorrow to be honest, but it's still a good album and worth checking out for any fans of Moonsorrow or the viking metal in general.

The copycat

The original

Vulture Industries (Arcturus)

This is almost a bit unfair, but let's be honest, their debut, "The Dystopia Journals", sounds like the follow up to Arcturus' "La Masquerade Infernale" with some nods to "The Sham Mirrors", which was Arcturus' follow up to "Masquerade". They got more of an own identity with their seocond release, and with their third they sounded like an unique mix of Arcturus, Devil Doll and Vulture Industries. But it isn't as black or tivoli-like as "La Masquerade Infernale", but you'll hear the resemblance if you check out both albums.

The copycat

The original

Quadrivium (Arcturus)

Unlike Vulture Industries, this sounds like it could've been the follow-up to "Aspera Hiem Symphonia" which was Arcturus' debut album. Atmospheric black metal that plays a bit around with avant-garde.

The copycat

The original

Morrigan (Bathory)

I'm not all too familiar with these guys, but everything I've heard from both Morrigan and pre-Morrigan, Mayhemic Truth, just reeks of Bathory.

The copycat

The Original

Myrkraverk (Isengard)

This sounds so much like Isengard, much because of the drunken vocals. But the music is in the same vein as well. Sounds a bit like they mix the folkier songs of "Høstmørke" with the black metal songs found on the same album.

The copycat

The original

Guest Magatsu

Kamito from Antikythera is a huge Guniw Tools fan and the band's first full album is pretty much a love letter to the band. I'd say that's probably enough to qualify it for this thread XD

(following your format)

The copycat

The original

OMG

It's really almost the same.. even the PV and concept lol

Antikythera honestly just crosses the ´early Grieva´ border when it comes to Guniw worship at times, actually. A few songs were pretty shameless ripoffs as far as I remember.

Attic (King Diamond)

Another band for those of you (as if you exist here) that can't get enough of King Diamond. Unlike Portrait these guys sounds more like King Diamond than Mercyful Fate, and they do it really well. The Invocation is a beast of an album.

The copycat

The original

Yeti (RADWIMPS)

For people following Japanese rock "from both sides" (as in both "non-vk" and "vk") like me, it's really not hard to see that Emiru (and co.) , funnily and obviously enough, "worships" Radwimps - especially their frontman Yojiro Noda. There isn't really anything worth mentioning "plagiarism-wise" (read: I can't find anything to accuse them for, lol) but yeti's indie-like position, visual and audial styles is something what you'd apply to their possible idols, or so.

(if I'm really understanding what bear was trying to say...)

Yeti (RADWIMPS)

For people following Japanese rock "from both sides" (as in both "non-vk" and "vk") like me, it's really not hard to see that Emiru (and co.) , funnily and obviously enough, "worships" Radwimps - especially their frontman Yojiro Noda. There isn't really anything worth mentioning "plagiarism-wise" (read: I can't find anything to accuse them for, lol) but yeti's indie-like position, visual and audial styles is something what you'd apply to their possible idols, or so.

The copycat

The original

(if I'm really understanding what bear was trying to say...)

omg, really? . . .I'm a fan of Emiru and I'm in shock. e_e 

Blazon Stone (Running Wild)

THese guys tok their name form a Running Wild album, and everything here, from the cover, to the lyrical themes and most importantly, the music is pure Running Wild worship. And it's a very good one as well. Blazon Stone plays heavy/power metal like Running Wild did from 88 until the mid 90's when they started sucking, and to be honest the album could easily have been released under the Running Wild banner without anyone noticing it being a different band. That's how close these guys are to the original.

The copycat

The original

Apati (Lifelover)

When Lifelover released their first album they were like a breath of fresh air within the depressive black metal scene, and they caused quite a stir in the underground scene. And when you make such a stir, and play such simple music as well, you are bound to be copied. Apati were one of these bands that wanted to be Lifelover, and IMO the best out of the many copycats that came. At least their first album. There's not a single touch of originality to be found on the album, it's just a huge Lifelover rip off. The only thing missing are Lifelover's dark humour. But musically, and lyrics-wise, it's all very Lifeloeresque.

The copycat

The original

Sign in to follow this