Jigsaw9

DIR EN GREY new album and DVD release

I've only given it one spin, but my first impression is that this album contains some of their best as well as worst songs to this date,

I'm sorry your download had mitsu to tsuba and marrow of bone tracks thrown in, someone must have trolled you :(( get it at mh next time

Upon second listen I'm really diggin' it. 

Preliminary favorites: 

- Un deux

- Soshaku (loving the chorus)

- Tousei (just beautiful melodies and guitar pieces)

- Magayasou

- Kaishun

- Behind a Vacant Image

- Revelation of Mankind

On the 'like list':

- Phenomenon; not as good as I was hoping, but still enjoying it.

- Kukoku...

- And honestly everything else is decent to meh. Some fillers were expected for such a long album. But I'm really liking the flow of the album the second time around (especially the first 8-10 songs). 

Only had time for a single listen before work, but I agree that there are some of their best and worst together here.

I remember having a few moments of early 2000s nostalgia in a way that I didn't think they could evoke with their current style, I also remember being sorely disappointed by a few songs.

Namely, I'd like to call out Tousei for pleasantly surprising me and having me enchanted by the end of the track, very soulful melodies ..

Off topic: if GazettE takes any consideration of the sound of this album into their 2015 works then I'm sure it will shake out better than Beautiful Deformity..

I really wish they pushed more tracks to the same extent as revelation of manchild, un deux and rinkaku & I hope tue madsen goes away

I don't like how STU sounds now, wtf with that ongoing distortion abuse

he also has some special talent for butchering vocals except for kyopera segments

Well I'm at Widwife right now (loving it) and I can definitely say it's just totally not the material for average jrock (up to) WtD fans anymore. This is some serious shit. I feel like the experimentations are a lot more consistent and above that more structural progression like on DSS. I don't feel like reviewing the first few songs because I honestly just can't grasp it for the moment. Need more listenings definitely.

As for those so-called "abominations" like Cause of Fickleness.. meh, where's the problem? "The Final" was much more of an insult to me as a fan than anything I've heard this far.

EDIT: Ah well, studio magician Shinya. I was really impressed at some stuff he let out here.. but I honestly hope he will practice enough to get them right on stage!

I wholeheartedly agree about not shitting on any of the songs based on pre release hype bias, but I have to inquire....

Of all the Diru songs I feel insulted by.. The Final.? Is there anything in particular about it ?

I wholeheartedly agree about not shitting on any of the songs based on pre release hype bias, but I have to inquire....

Of all the Diru songs I feel insulted by.. The Final.? Is there anything in particular about it ?

No. Absolutely nothing. It's a blant, no-risk radio rock song, appealing to the mass of jrock fans and the mass beyond. It's so blant it could have well been written by Nickelback or Reamonn. I of course only make a case about my perception here.

What songs are people most disappointed with? I know Phenomenon is a likely choice, but I kinda dig the progressiveness of the song. And the first verse has a 'Disabled Complexes'-type groove to it. The good is far outweighing the mediocre right now in my mind. 

That's fair enough, You mean 'bland' then ? I can see what you mean although it's not the first song Diru has released with a very straightforward structure, it's definitely radio-friendly by DEG standards but I always felt it had a lasting impression. To me, the chorus is just as memorable as neighboring Saku and Kodou.

For anyone who has heard, How are the bonus disc tracks ??

Early favourites would be

Phenomenon

輪郭

Cause Of Fickleness

Midwife

懐春

The Inferno

Revelation of Mankind

Early MEHs would be

un deux

濤声

Still unsure about the rest. I agree, this album is 80-90% totally solid.

God I hate it when Kyo does that "wavering scream" thing like in Revelation of mankind (around 2:55), he probably used it in every song on The Unraveling and probably on DSS too. Annoying as fuck!

Highlights of the album for now; Soshaku, Chain Repulsion, Behind A Vacant Image, Kukoku no kyouon, Tousei

Disappointments: Un Deux, Cause of Fickleness

For people who ordered off CDJapan, I just got an email confirmation that my order shipped. Hope you guys get a confirmation soon.

they will hold their live tour "TOUR15 THE UNSTOPPABLE LIFE" since Kawasaki CLUB CITTA' at 2015/04/02-04/03 and up to Shinkiba STUDIO COAST at 2015/05/11-05/12

I'm at Rinkaku now and so far ARCHE sounds to me like a huge experiment similar to the one they performed with Kisou.

some crazy mix of this and that.

I can almost see Kaoru saying, 'hey guys, why don't we just put together everything we can do?'

I'm not saying this was a bad idea but ARCHE lacks some consistency they had within previous works.

let's see if the second half proves I was wrong or not.

I'm at Rinkaku now and so far ARCHE sounds to me like a huge experiment similar to the one they performed with Kisou.

some crazy mix of this and that.

I can almost see Kaoru saying, 'hey guys, why don't we just put together everything we can do?'

I'm not saying this was a bad idea but ARCHE lacks some consistency they had within previous works.

let's see if the second half proves I was wrong or not.

For me, it's become more cohesive the more I've listened to it. 

Or maybe it's not necessarily cohesive, but familiarity masked as cohesiveness? lol I don't know, still lovin' it though. 

I'm sorry your download had mitsu to tsuba and marrow of bone tracks thrown in, someone must have trolled you :(( get it at mh next time

This has got to be one of the most asshole-ish/ unnecessary responses...Let their opinion be.

As for my initial thoughts of the album, its great. But not a favorite. I'll get more in depth in the review thread.

In regards to Shinya, I think the whole 'nailing it' doesn't only apply to him but the entire band as well. It took the band awhile to finally play the DSS songs correctly. Seeing as though these songs are more simple and easy flowing, I don't doubt these songs will be played to near flawless level once a live DVD drops.