lichtlune

Favorite Visual Kei vocalists of all time?

Oh I haven't posted in this thread?

Here goes, in no particular order since I love all of them to death:

(Jessica / vistlip)

Listening to Tomo always feels like sitting down and being told a story. The tonalities and vocal textures he's capable of are astounding; and not to mention the range of his chest voice and how classy his falsettos are. I didn't like his vocals the very first time I heard vistlip, but once I got hooked there was absolutely no turning back.

(baroque / kannivalism)

I once showed my friend (who's just a casual listener of vk)

and he thought it was a new vk band that just formed. That's how prescient their sound was back in 2004, and I think Ryo's atmospheric vocals had a lot to do with it. Ryo (and baroque) certainly brought a great deal to vk that's (still) understated.

HAL (SINCREA / FEST VAINQUEUR)

I'll confess I don't even listen much to FEST anymore because their music had changed so much, but HAL's vocals were integral to how amazing SINCREA was imo. It might be a little one-note for people who prefer something less "generic", but for me his clean and emotional delivery remains incredibly touching (especially in SINCREA ballads like CANDLE).

勇 / 青田勇 (NEVER CRAZY / 176BIZ / ZUCK)

What else to say? Yuu makes ZUCK's songs sound so easy to sing lol. Technique aside, he's immensely talented, and the intense passion/dedication he had for ZUCK was painful even for his fans to see towards the end (I still remember his last blog posts...). Great voice, big heart, perhaps my favorite vk musician.

Honorable mentions:

- Juri (DELUHI)

- 愁耶 (Clavier): where the hell did he go?! ;_;

- ユウト (Called≠Plan/Unrealistic)

- kazuki (Belmosaic)

- 左迅 (girugamesh)

- 斗真 (LUCHe.)

theres just one for me and thats HAL from juliadoll. will never ever get over the fact that he retired after juliadoll disbanded (except that one revival live).

i always loved his voide and juliadoll is my alltime favourite vk band too.

Akane (D.I.D.)

Jin (NEGA)

Natsuki (-OZ-)

Ai (DEATHGAZE)
Habaki (Halienju)
Kyouki (Grieva)

1 - Ryutaro (Plastic Tree): AWESOME VOCAL <3 

2 - Ryo (9GOATS/HOLLOWGRAM): The voice him is wonderful 

3 - Isshi (Kagrra): No words to amazing voice

4 - Kyo (Dir en grey): I love the voice this guy

5 - Tatsurou (MUCC): amazing voice

6 - Temari (amber gris): the voice that makes feel me good 

7 - Yuhma (Luzmelt): is strong voice !!!

8 - GACKT: no coments

9 - Kamijo: i like so much

10 - Hizumi (D'espairsRay)

In special other vocalists that I like:

Kaya

Mikaru

Yuki (rice)

Hyde <3

ryo (baroque/kannivalism) - there are so few people who sing like him. his voice is most distinctive from the early baroque days, raspy and super relaxing when he slurs and sings in a quiet tone. but he is also amazing when he sings with his full output too, most often in kannivalism. i don't understand why he would start using autotune nowadays. :(

ryutaro (plastic tree) - of course i will mention ryutaro. his voice is childish, angelic, and lovely; like that from another world. and he sings painfully beautiful when he strains himself.

mako (deadman) - mako's voice is so distinctive from all the other deep vocals out there; powerful and amazing, and full of emotion. personally, i think this is quite a huge loss from vk. there will be no other vocalist with a stunning deep voice like him.

kyotaro (eight, Black:List, COCKROACH., LAST OF FATE) - his voice really is amazing and i wish he would come back to the vk industry and scream/growl like that again.....anything after Black:List sucks.

emiru (aicle., yeti) - those delicate, yet chaotic vocals, emiru sings with unique versatility. his singing style in yeti is not as awesome though, but it's still quite nice~

i will also mention maru (bis) and saki (ClearVeil) because they were amazing and i miss them. they're practically just gone now. ;__;

all my favs got like 0 mentions

(in no order--well except mako)

1. mako (deadman) - i cant describe his voice, its so amazing technically but also has such an imperfect quality; he's dearly missed
  2. temari (amber gris) - another deep voice, super emotive. his falsetto & vibrato is beautiful, although he sounds strained at his higher register--which i find totally endearing. i thought his early vox for ruvie were awful though, he's grown a lot
  3. kyo - theres nothing to say that hasn't been said, he's fucking astounding
  4. hitomi (moran) - really lovely voice, kinda husky--quite sexy, reminds me of a vk crooner if anything
  5. raya (angrayse, l'eprica) - fucking underrated, i cant find much else to say than beautiful, im also fucking in love with his falsetto
  6. ryo (9GBO, KEEL) - a very, very nasal angel's voice with a demon's growl to match it
  7. hizumi (d'espairsray) - hizumi's voice is nothing special, but its so powerful when he's singing softly and growling with rage--it never loses its power
  8. daisuke (kagerou) - he can be softly emotive, yelping in pain or growling and just sounding fucking insane and every style works insanely well for him. greatly missed
  9. sou (emmuree) - the first time i heard him i forgot i was listening to vk, he doesnt sing he belts it out and envelops the whole song with his powerful voice
  10. loki (sugar) - his voice is like butter to me, a very dramatic stick of butter
  11. satsuki (RES) - an angel for sure, his high notes are my favs

honourable mentions: ruki, kazuma (HFP), kaya, hiro (gossip), yuina (lamiel), hazuki (lynch.), jin (TBS), yuuki (unsraw)

No particular order

1. ryo -- baroque / kannivalism -- but I have to qualify it: 2001~2013 ? Around kizuna was when I started noticing a distinct change in his style of change. It's not that it's bad, it's that there's nothing unique about the way he sings now. 
  2. HaL -- Minus Jin-Say Orchestra -- he may not be the best, but the emotion he puts into it... Well, let's just say he's the only vocalist that's come even close to making me cry just by singing alone (you know, with no outside circumstance like it being a last live or anything like that).
  3. Kazuki -- Belmosaic / XAA-XAA -- His voice is what drew me into Belmosaic to start and it is still one of my favorite things about XAA-XAA. I like his deeper voice and how well it fits with some of the two bands' jazzier songs
  4. Shuuji - cali gari -- need i say more?
  5. nigu -- cocklobin
  6. Tsubaki -- 8-eit

If I were to talk about frontmen--as in how they perform on stage etc--then I would have to add a few others to the list: Buu from Ensoku, Reno from Cradle (not a great vocalist, but a great frontman), Issei from BugLug.

Oh there's a thread for this?!?!? Nice.

Yuyo's Favorite Vocalists

Daisuke (Kagerou)

Ruki (the GazettE)

Mako (deadman)

Ryo (9GBO)

Temari (amber gris)

Satsuki (ReS)

Kyo (DeG)

Aoi (ayabie)

Aki (Arlequin)

Akane (D.I.D.)

Hazuki (lynch.)

Wataru (12012)

Sui (Megaromania)

Hizumi (D'espairs Ray)

Byou (SCREW)

Rei (SHIVER)

Gackt (Malice Mizer)

Hyde (L'arc en ciel)

Natsuki (-OZ-)

Mahiro (Kiryu)

Kamijo (Versailles)

Vocalists that are starting to grow on me:

Ryuga (Sel'm)(Still kinda think Tora was a better fit)

Taka (Defspiral)

Yasu (Janne da Arc)

Akito (aile)

Chisa (DIV)

Saku (ゴシップ)

Taka (La'cryma Christi)

Kanata (Jiluka)

Edited by YuyoDrift

Yuuki - Lycaon
Kyouka - Aliene Ma'riage / Insanity Injection ect. 
Hisui - Madeth Gray'll
Chaos - Glamscure 
Chiaki - DEZERT 
Kyouki - Grieva 
Karasuna Mei - Kuroyuri To Kage 
Rei - Loz'a#Veria

Teru / Kengo - Noir Fleurir

Juri - Risk Un Logic

Kanwa - allure idea
Daina - ENVIOUS 
Takayuk /Takashi /Chihiro / Kirala / Tetsuya - The Piass
Kikyou - La'Veil Mizeria / sadies merry
Rei - Lar~Mia
Kisui - Phobia
Motomi - Mebius
Futarishizuka - Crucifixion

Hizumi (D'espairsRay) - I've always loved everything about his vocals. I especially enjoyed watching them live, both in person and recorded, since I was always impressed with how well Hizumi conveyed such atmosphere and emotions on stage as well (not all vocalists sound so good live as they do in the studio...). To this day it still hurts me a bit about what happened to D'espairsRay; it's a real shame about his throat condition.

Satsuki (Rentrer en Soi) - Angel voice. I wish his solo stuff didn't bore me to tears, as I would've liked to keep following his new material after ReS disbanded.

Riku (Phantasmagoria, etc) - I've never been able to properly put my finger on what exactly it is I like so much about Riku's voice, but I like it. Phantasmagoria and Lin were my favorite projects involving him, I think his vocals really suited the music.

Kyo - Dir en Grey (His range still amazes me, if only he could do all that stuff live more often, but he rarely manages)

Yuki - Raphael/rice (His voice flows well with basically anything, songwriting can be lacking sometimes)

Riku - Phantasmagoria (Not sure why I like it, after listening to other bands and noticing how they pretty much try to do the same voice, his voice is no exception, but it still sounds pleasing to me, maybe it's nostalgia)

Hyde - L'arc~en~ciel (Soothing, erotic, moody, all at the same time, suffers with the same issue as Yuki)

Klaha - Malice Mizer (I like it beter than Gackt's... His solo career sucked though)

These are in no particular order and also some of them are not in my fav bands, but I have a lot of respect to them. I used to sing "bel canto" and learn some techniques... So I made my choices based on what I learned some time ago... 

- Kaya: imo he has the most beautiful voice among all VK vocalists. He's such a great vocalist and his voice is so versatile and his technique is so clean. For me, he's like an opera singer(?).

- Asagi (D): He has such a deep voice but he can also make great falsetto. And his vibrato is sooo clean! I love the fact he also sing/record D's songs choruses on we can hear on the background.

- Sono (Matenrou Opera): I think he has the best vibrato ever. And he also can reach a lot of high tones (like in BOURNING SOUL's chorous) without "sending it" to a falsetto. I also think he has one of the most powerful voices in VK.

- Sho (Lacroix Despheres): I think I have nothing to say about him because you only need to hear LD's songs to see how amazing Sho is. He is an opera singer.

- Juka/Shaura: One of the best VK voices by far. His voice is so beautiful and some people dislike his falsettos, but imo he has one of the cleanest falsettos. Maybe he can't reach higher notes, but I think he always knew his limits and worked with them perfectly.

- Seth/Z (MdM, Art Cube, etc etc etc! xD): A deep but powerful voice! 

- ZIN (Jupter): YES. I think he has a lot of work to do, but if he keep singing, he'll have such a promising future! Jupiter's lasts songs were so powerful and ZIN's voice is even better alive. I trust he will become one of the best vocalists.

- Riku (chariots): I just like his voice a lot xD

- KAMIJO: I know he's NOT the best singer (he has a beautiful voice, but he's not the best), but he's so important in my life that I have to mention him ;-;

- Ice (BFN): He's handsome af and he has such a deep great voice lol.

Adding sui megaromania was the shit back then mega 2.0 was great to because of him

Maybe in order lol

1.Hizumi (D'espairsRay)

2.Tatsurou (MUCC)

3.Gara (Merry)

4.Tora (Sel'm, Stereo CK)

5.Mikaru (DIO, Black Line)

6.Kon (a shitton of bands)

7.Wataru (12012)

8.Riku (Phantasmagoria, Chariots)

9.Whatshisface from Viored and Marusa lol

Probably Hazuki from Lynch too.  There's some newer singers I like, but they haven't really been around long enough for me to call them a ~fave~ so to speak.

Just a list, no explanations  in no particular order, bands listed are acts I like the vocalist in;

1. Morrie - Creature Creature (don't know if this counts as vk though)

2. Kagrra, - Isshi

3. Kuroyume - Kiyoharu

4. Versailles, Lareine, solo - Kamijo

5. Malice Mizer, Pride of Mind, solo - Klaha

6.  Pierrot - Kirito

7. D'ERLANGER, Die in Cries - Kyo

8. Da'vid/shito:aL - Pietoro

9. Guniw Tools - Full

10. Velvet Eden - Dada

Edited by Atreides

My favourite vocalist is Mahiro from 己龍 since I find his voice so unique and beautiful.

Other vocalists I like:

-Satsuki (RES)

Aki (Arlequin)

-Yo-ka (DIAURA)

-Sono (MAtenrou Opera)

-Yuuki (Lycaon)

-Ruki (the Gazette)

In no particular order...

1. Atsushi Sakura (BUCK-TICK) - His voice is unique, instantly recognizable, and he's good at using it to display a wide range of emotion. 

2. Gackt (MALICE MIZER, early solo career) - Gackt's voice was really suited for visual kei. Not only could he go from beautiful to sexy in less than second flat, it made a lot of Mizer's less impressive songs stand out during that time.

3. Daishi (Psycho le Cemu) - Somewhat limited by range, but he has a reputation as being one of the better singers in VK, and he's pretty consistent, even if he hardly ever hits that high note in "Remembrance". He's also one of the few VK artists that doesn't sound like complete shit trying to rap, lol.

4. Mako (Deadman) - I think everyone above pretty much said it.

5. Kamiya (ex.- MARRY+AN+BLOOD, RIBBON, -The- UnForGiveness, his solo stuff) - I think Kamiya's vocals are the epitome of what so many mid 90s-early 00s VK vocalists wanted to be (if they weren't straight up copying Kiyoharu, lol).

6. Kiyoharu - You can kinda hear a bit of him in every mid 90s - mid 00s vocalist. And ugh like watching every PV of his it's like ugh WHAT DAT MOUTH DO?

7.  Yasu (ex-Janne Da Arc, Acid Black Cherry), too. I think Yasu's voice can be kind of hit or miss for overseas fans, but he's such a popular vocalist in Japan that he has like what...four cover albums now?

8. Kirito - Probably a little too raspy to be "good" vocalist, but it fits well with what he does.

I'm also fond of Ryutaro's, Aki's (ex-Laputa), Kon's (ex-La'Mule), Yukari's (ex-Baiser), and Isshi's (ex-Kagrra) voices. Kyo (Dir en grey) isn't always my cup of tea but I have to admit he has a pretty expressive voice.

Edited by jaymee

I've too many fav vocals.. 

1. yasu (JDA, ABC) – tbh years ago I didn't find his voice the best, probably because I wasn't used to it, but it grew on me and now I just simply love it.

2. Tsuzuku (Mejibray) – I've no problem to admit that his voice isn't the best (in contrast to other vocals in the scene) but it's something with it that makes me like it very much. Also he have done some amazing progress, remember DIS anyone?

3. Kyo (Dir en grey/sukekiyo) – His vocal range has always impressed me.

4. Ruki (GazettE) –  I've always thought that his voice is unique, and good.

5. Sono (Matenrou Opera) – Hearing him sing in a cappella live is amazing experience, and it truly showed how skillful he is. 

6. yo-ka (DIAURA) – He has also done some amazing progress. 

7. Kou/Saki (ex 少年記/甘い暴力)  – His voice have been addictive for me from the start. It fits perfectly with the sound 少年記 had.

8. Aryu (MORRIGAN) – Needs to progress a little but I really love his clean singing.

9. Hizumi (ex D'espairsRay) – I miss it. 

10. Hyde – When he's singing 雪の足跡 I kind of cry. Voice has gotten raspy through the years tho but I still like it.

I also miss Byou (SCREW), and I liked Mao vocals in Sadie. I am also fond of Chizuru (ペンタゴン), Kazuki (ザアザア), Zin (Jupiter), Ryoga (Born/RAZOR), Riku (ex Phantasmagoria, Chariots), Keiya (Purple Stone), Hazuki (Lynch.), Chisa (ex DIV), Yuhma (ex Luzmelt, GE+IM), and Aki (アルルカン).