paradoxal

Common song/album names in VK

Visual kei in total is a pretty uniform genre where looks and sounds seem to repeat themselves and get copied from band to band all the time.

Being such a genre it is I was wondering, if there are also repeating trends in song and album names.

How many songs / albums can you count which have either the same or a very similar name?

I think it's not worth discussing very common words such as death or love, because I think every band which uses English has a song/album name with either one of those words in the name.

I decided to make this topic since I was just listening to Lycaon's MASK and realized there are actually three MASK-named songs on my PC:

Dir en grey - MASK

Lycaon - MASK

Royz - MASK

There's several bands who've used 'Ningen Shikkaku' either for albums or song titles... R-Shitei and Ningen Isu are the ones I can come up with straight off the bat.

Metis Gretel also had a song named "MASK." 

"Tsumi to Batsu" is also a common there. Dear L'Novel had an album named that, Endorphine had several versions of a song called that, and I've seen it as a theme for live tour names. Of course, Diru also had a spinoff of that name back in the 90s.

Some version of "Miserable" is also fairly common: Hizaki, Gackt, Madeth Gray'll, and Lareine.

--

"Tsumi to Batsu" is also a common there. Dear L'Novel had an album named that, Endorphine had several versions of a song called that, and I've seen it as a theme for live tour names. Of course, Diru also had a spinoff of that name back in the 90s.

--

Kagrra, has also a song called Tsumi to Batsu!

So Tsumi to batsu is...

Album by Dear L'Novel

Song by Endorphine

Song by Kagrra,

Song by Dir en grey

A theme for tour names

"Metamorphose" I've seen this word used at least ten times for vk songs but its a cool word so i don't blame them. I think I'll use it for a song name some day too lol. 

Lareine - Metamorphose

Baiser - Metamorphose

Metis Gretel - Metamorphose

Lin - Metamorphose 

just to name a few, I'd imagine i have a few more on my ipod too. I'll look later. 

"Metamorphose" I've seen this word used at least ten times for vk songs but its a cool word so i don't blame them. I think I'll use it for a song name some day too lol. 

Lareine - Metamorphose

Baiser - Metamorphose

Metis Gretel - Metamorphose

Lin - Metamorphose 

just to name a few, I'd imagine i have a few more on my ipod too. I'll look later. 

STRIPPE-D LADY (aka La'cryma Christi's previous name) - Metamorphose

VanessA - BM. Metamorphose

Gackt - Metamorphoze (well, it counts!)

Baiser - Metamorphosis 

etc.

Lycaon - Jesus

Luna Sea - Jesus

Kuroyume - Jesus

Dir en grey - Jesus Christ Rock 'n' Roll

etc.

etc.

Laputa, D≒Sire (called "Jesus?") and Gackt as well!

And to add to the Tsumi to Batsu list: Grieva has two songs on their upcoming album related to that, each one named with one of the kanjis. 

DaizyStripper also have a Tsumi na Batsu. It's almost the same...

Ageha (the Japanese swallowtail butterfly) seems to come up a fair amount to me, in lyrics too. MUCC have an Ageha on their album Kyutai, and Sadie have Ageha no Nakigara (swallowtail's corpse) on MASTER OF ROMANCE.

DaizyStripper also have a Tsumi na Batsu. It's almost the same...

Ageha (the Japanese swallowtail butterfly) seems to come up a fair amount to me, in lyrics too. MUCC have an Ageha on their album Kyutai, and Sadie have Ageha no Nakigara (swallowtail's corpse) on MASTER OF ROMANCE.

SINCREA has a song called ageha嬢 (ageha jo)

"Scarlet" has been used by Jupiter, Alice Nine and Screw. Nocturnal Bloodlust and Alsdead, who toured together, both have songs titled "Pandemic" and "Rebellion" - those songs were released all on their 2012/2013 albums. I rolled my eyes when I saw that. Other common words in vk (or J-rock) song/album titles include:

"Apocalypse" (Megaromania, Alice Nine, Rose Noire),

"Heaven" or something with heaven (Megaromania, Alsdead, Jupiter),

"Xanadu" (Moi dix Mois, Screw, Asriel),

"Masquerade" (not sure whether it was Versailles who started that and even Oshare-kei bands like to use it)...

Just want to add: Scarlett had a song called "Ageha Shoujo".

Baiser also had a song called "Apocalypse" and Schwardix Marvally + Bro:nze a song called "Metamorphose."

Megaromania, Chateau La Tour, and I'm sure a few others that I can't think of right now, have had songs called "Tragedy."

Chateau La Tour, Renter en Soi, and GPKISM also share songs with the title "Metem Psychosis"

Raison D'Etre also seems to be a VK favourite, lmao. I think I know at least 4 songs called that way.

blackout, flashback, styx, butterfly, and INFERIORITY COMPLEX, HIGANBANA, dokusai

I am sure "tsuki" (moon) or just "moon" if it's in English, "namida" (tears), "taiyou" (sun), and "hoshi" (star) or just "star" in English are pretty common in song titles, though "taiyou" is probably less common among them. Some bands have all of them even including both the same word in Japanese as well as English (e.g. Rentrer en Soi). I've seen "sun" and "sunset" in vk song titles so they are related to "taiyou". Not sure whether there's "sunrise" though.

I am sure "tsuki" (moon) or just "moon" if it's in English, "namida" (tears), "taiyou" (sun), and "hoshi" (star) or just "star" in English are pretty common in song titles, though "taiyou" is probably less common among them. Some bands have all of them even including both the same word in Japanese as well as English (e.g. Rentrer en Soi).

ame

Might just be reaching at straws here, but you reckon that Zetsubou would count?

Chalk up one for Merry and then another for XodiacK for Kimi Ni Furu Zetsubou no Ame which also goes to the Ame count above....

"either SHINE/SHINING or something with the word in it" - Janne Da Arc, Alice Nine, 12012, etc

"Merry Go Round" - Psycho Le Cemu, AYABIE, The Candy Spooky Theater, 12012 (Merry Go World...you aren't fooling anyone!), etc

"something with Alice" - Nightmare, D, Viored, etc

Chateau La Tour, Renter en Soi, and GPKISM also share songs with the title "Metem Psychosis"

Also your fave, XOVER.

L'oiseau bleu: D, Screw, Misaruka, Moran, probably some others...

"butterfly":songs by awoi, -oz, zip.er, venus. 

I've also seen "koe", but I can just remember awoi, and sadie's. 

"True + ______" Like "true grief" "true cry", grieva, biosphia. xD They're surely so true. Diru's grief, black;list's grief.

"Karma": Dir en Grey, MEJIBRAY, UnsraW... etc.