Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

[Review] Lycaon - EROS

I want the creepy bassist and the pink-haired tranny back.

Seriously Lycaon, what the fuck happened? ID is the lamest SE you've ever come up with - it even beats flowing in terms of lameness. But even as this went on, I retain my hope.

VERDICT: n/a

Then EROS comes in.

As much as I want to like it, you made it damn near impossible. It's earsplittingly bad to the point where I'm pretending it doesn't exist. The longer it goes on, the more I want it to end. For all intents and purposes, I'm going to call those elements they incorporated (badly) "country swing" and they make me feel like I'm in a bad strip club where Yuuki's squealing at me while he's removing his thong. Not good. Rito and Satoshi's needless twin guitar melody doesn't mesh with all the crap going on in the background and I'm too busy applying brain bleach to remember anything noteworthy Hiyuu did. I know there was a poorly-placed bass interlude but other than that I can't care.

VERDICT: ...

PINK MILK WITH DRUGS MY DRINK. sounds odd. I'm going to call what Yuuki does "vocal vomit" here because once he starts he doesn't shut up ever. He keeps attempting different things but from the badly processed barking to the YEA YEA YEA's and the UH UH UH's make what he does do right inconsequential because sooner or later he's going to do something to nullify it. It's psychotic but not in the good way. It could have used some fine-tuning and a Yuuki that dropped his vocals just a bit.

VERDICT: meh

Mary is the only good track on this single and it's great in comparison to everything else on here but it's just an average track when compared to the rest of their output. This is straightforward Lycaon with their new guitar tuning and it's the first song where I'm not polarized enough to be able to appreciate Hiyuu's bass lines. Yuuki also doesn't screw up in the vocals either and the guitar melody actually WORKS. Hey Rito, we need more songs like this and not that disaster called "the rest of this single".

VERDICT: OK. It's listenable. I might even like it after a while!

MAD NEUROSIS CHILD isn't bad. The effects they put over Yuuki's voice work to his benefit in my book - I detest it when vocalists put effects over their voice but it makes him sound less annoying so I'll take it. However, I find the guitar tuning to be ill-fitting for this song - it's supposed to be heavy but where they have it set takes a lot of that away. Still, this is the song on the CD closest to their older concept of "hunting instinct" - at least in sound anyway.

VERDICT: Why wasn't this the single?

I've taken to not writing too many reviews because of time constraints but this is just exceptionally bad and the fans need to know what they're in for. They are capable of SO MUCH BETTER so I don't what happened but Lycaon needs to tune the guitars down a notch and Yuuki needs to lay off the helium. Back to the drawing board guys, and this time come back with something respectable. I'm counting on you.

EDIT: I just glanced over the lyrics and...Yuuki screams YEAH in almost every song. Just worth noting that whenever he can't think of something worthwhile to sing he just screams that.

after listening to this single, i am convinced that there's one stage

of VK bands where they seek to sounds sophisticated, but

sadly they did it terribly poor with their kind of jazzy tunes.

EROS sounds annoying, i mean really,

leave the jazzy tunes to a more competent musicians

that really feeling it!

PINK MILK WITH DRUGS MY DRINK, skipped after 53 secs in. Sorry.

MARY is indeed the most bearable material in this single,

(aside of the SE sadly)

it had definitive sounds of LYCAON i know.

From the first guitar chime in, i knew this would be good.

like, "Now, this is Lycaon!" you know.

I am not against band experiment with their sounds.

but when experiments turns bad, i only can feel sad for them lol

verdict: i don't know, it's not very remarkable isn't it?

they could do better than this. and i hope they will for future releases.

as for this single, it's 3 thumbs down, or 5 middle fingers.

Well I thought it was going to be a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE release, that no intelligent human will be able to hear it.

But it wasn't THAT horrible

SE: Fuck it boring, I don't like SE's. 1/5

EROS: I lol'd because it's really bad, just bad. 0/5

PINK MILK MY CUM or w.e it's called: It's ok, has some shitty singing parts by Yuuki though. 2.5/5

Mary: The most "listenable" track out of all. It's ok not so good though. 3.5/5

Just suck my cock Yuuki if you keep making shitty music like this. 1.5/5

I came in here thinking you were all just exaggerating. But I take that back, EROS really is bad.

EROS - Oh shit this is really bad. The entire song just doesn't make any sense: crap bass intro -> swing-esque verses that didn't work -> Yuuki moaning like jail bait throughout the entire song? No thanks Lycaon. I might go back and listen to this whenever I want a really good laugh though.

1/5

PINK MILK WITH DRUGS MY DRINK. - This one is almost as bad as "EROS". The guitarists and bassist sound sloppy, and whoever the drummer is needs to put his/her drumsticks down for the rest of his/her life. That, and Yuuki needs a cock sock in his mouth, all of that "YAH YAH YAH YAH BEIIIIIBII!" was really unnecessary.

1½/5

Mary - I didn't enjoy the intro one bit, then the verses came in and it was okay... but then... some bored children (that Lycaon most likely keeps as sweatshop workers) came in with "YAYYYYYY!" which completely threw the song off balance. Bring in the breakdown, "inspired" by the GazettE's "LEECH", and call it a song. Overall it's very filler-esque, but it deserves a bit more recognition than the rest of the single.

2/5

EROS - 1½/5

They should have scrambled the letters around for the single's title to SORE, because that's how my ears felt after listening to the first two songs. I can't say I dislike Lycaon now, because it's too soon to say so. But I will say that they need to take a moment to listen to "EROS", vomit, realize how bad it was, never play it again, and then go back to composing decent music.

6/10

fuck it, I like it.

because it's a fun live song. because they went out and actually TRIED something new, next to shitty girugämesh and Gazette who actually are covering themselves OVER and OVER and OVER again.

fuck it, I like it.

because it's a fun live song. because they went out and actually TRIED something new, next to shitty girugämesh and Gazette who actually are covering themselves OVER and OVER and OVER again.

Sorry, I can't agree.

This whole psuedo "jazz" (necessary quotes) thing is like the oldest trick in the VK handbook.

Along with ballads and the repetitive-heavy-song-with-grunting, this swing/"jazz" shit is like the number one go-to style for bands that are "experimenting" outside their comfort zone genre. But when every other band does it, it's hardly experimenting anymore...

But I'm not even saying that I necessarily dislike that style.

It just so happens, Lycaon did their version of it pretty damn poorly in my opinion (and others' opinions as well)

Anyway, this was not a good release.

SE was just... ugh.

EROS, everyone has already said it.

PINK FILTH was filth. About as bad as EROS, but in a different way.

MARY was 'aight. I liked some of the guitar parts. Shows they haven't totally gone to shit yet.

I'm overall most disappointed with Yuuki. I used to find him a refreshingly adequate vocalist in this fairly tired vk style. But, man, he just annoys the shit out of me now... Back to the drawing board Lycaon.

Man, so many bands i like suck so much lately, what the hell is going on?

Oh my review sorry. *ahem*

EROS: Shit

PINK MILK: Crap

MARY: Boring

0/10

6/10

fuck it, I like it.

Just want to point this out before someone else does but neither one of those bands are covering themselves like you mentioned. I'm pretty sure 90% of Giru's fanbase want them to go back to their earlier style and a sizeable chunk of Gazette's fanbase want them to return to their DIM sound. In terms of all three they aren't doing the same thing over and over again. It's just up to debate over who is doing their new style right and who isn't.

Also, seconded about the YAY's in Mary. They are so badly placed. It doesn't make me like the song any less though.

Lycaon.....no...bad..Lycaon...don't make me pull out my newspaper

Overal Rating: 0.5/5 - just for Mary.

oh my god oh no oh shit, what's wrong with Lycaon.....

the only ok song is Mary, the new style just don't fit them at all.

they lose their tune :(

1/5

I get what you all saying.

I personally think that bands should evolve and try something new (in case of lycaon they tried something new for them which would be the jazzy thingy.) I did not say they just perfectly get it right, but I'm not disappointed. I would be if they just went on doing the same style over and over again. I like them a lot but it get's pretty boring in my eyes when bands are not able to change something.

Totally obvious though, that I'm the only one thinking so.

I can understand that someone who was really into the stuff before does not like it.

well, let's see what comes with the next single.

I can say this doesn't deserve a higher rating than 1/10, and I've only listened to a few short parts on youtube. Earsplitting indeed. I agree with pretty much everyone here: this is BAD.

Never heard the band before, but loved EROS. PINK whatever was a bit shit.

ami the only one who likes this single?

the only let down is that milk song which is kinda dull but the rest is highly listenable. i love eros!

7/10

um, no. Gay guy mostly goes for dancy tunes or classics. Though some goes for hardcore and death metal too. But jazz is mostly straight (and closet republican gay bashers gay men) stuffs, along with country music. :P

um, no. Gay guy mostly goes for dancy tunes or classics. Though some goes for hardcore and death metal too. But jazz is mostly straight (and closet republican gay bashers gay men) stuffs, along with country music. :P

oh yeah and black people are all really into rnb n shit

what about black gay guys? ai. they just really have a special dick size!

I get what you all saying.

I personally think that bands should evolve and try something new (in case of lycaon they tried something new for them which would be the jazzy thingy.) I did not say they just perfectly get it right, but I'm not disappointed. I would be if they just went on doing the same style over and over again. I like them a lot but it get's pretty boring in my eyes when bands are not able to change something.

Totally obvious though, that I'm the only one thinking so.

I can understand that someone who was really into the stuff before does not like it.

well, let's see what comes with the next single.

I don't think the problem is them trying something new. I think most of the problem we're having with this is that it's just came out really bad. For example, Girugamesh is trying something new with thier sound and whether you like it or not, its still done well. Instrumentation is good. Vocals are good. These songs from Lycaon lack that.

oh yeah and black people are all really into rnb n shit

what about black gay guys? ai. they just really have a special dick size!

yeah I'm a black straight guy and I like rock music...

ah, that was trying to say, gay isn't a cool words to say something lame. That's a slur. Just as bad as when saying women should stay in the kitchen. People should stop addressing anything crap with words 'so gay', gay is not lame, and yes i am pretty upset at that. Little things matters. D:

anyway, back to topic now.

Sign in to follow this