Guest Magatsu

Topic Prefix for the news forum

Guest Magatsu

Hi,

While talking a bit with Linh I came up with an idea.

I always check up the news forum for news. But it would been maybe more easy viewing if the News forum also had Topic Prefix like the Download forum has;

I listed a few things up;

New Release
New PV
New Band
Member depart
Lost Member
Disbanding
Hiatus
Interview
Activities
Name Change
Venue info
Label info
New Label
deceased/death
Member fired
Other

However it can be sometimes a problem because sometimes it's an hiatus/disbanding etc + a last release. so then 2 or more Topic Prefix should be possible to add.

I don't know if this would be a nice idea.

But it's truly more easy if you only look for new bands or new releases.

So what do you guys/girls think?

Or will the forum maybe load more heavy? o.o

I think it would probably make the forum harder to read - if there was a need to use only 3-5 prefixes, but you listed 17 different prefixes - how does that make it easier? Maybe tags would be more efficient and easy, but imho prefixes wouldn't be good for that job.

This isn't a bad a idea, but I don't think it's really necessary. Why do we need these prefixes to tell us information that is already on almost every title in the News forum? I like and have grown accustomed that the prefixes only belong to the DL threads. If you were add these labels for the News threads too, then navigating the View New Content page would be a bit confusing and look like a rainbow threw up on it.

IMO the news section doesn't really need prefixes, if not for anything else but it's pretty clearly readable the way it is now -- i.e. usually the artist name comes first of all, and as soon as I read that I know if it interests me or not. Prefixes would just unnecessarily complicate things.

Guest Magatsu

This isn't a bad a idea, but I don't think it's really necessary. Why do we need these prefixes to tell us information that is already on almost every title in the News forum? I like and have grown accustomed that the prefixes only belong to the DL threads. If you were add these labels for the News threads too, then navigating the View New Content page would be a bit confusing and look like a rainbow threw up on it.

then it would be useless at the download forum too. because people also wrote in the topic: ALBUM, SINGLE, LIVE Dist, DVD, etc.

Paradoxal, On 28 Jan 2014 -11:17 PM, said

I think it would probably make the forum harder to read - if there was a need to use only 3-5 prefixes, but you listed 17 different prefixes - how does that make it easier? Maybe tags would be more efficient and easy, but imho prefixes wouldn't be good for that job.

I don't say that there will be needed 17.

I just listed up prefixes who might could be used.

IMO the news section doesn't really need prefixes, if not for anything else but it's pretty clearly readable the way it is now -- i.e. usually the artist name comes first of all, and as soon as I read that I know if it interests me or not.

But right now it's also sometimes hard to read.  At least for me, even with the band name.

then it would be useless at the download forum too. because people also wrote in the topic: ALBUM, SINGLE, LIVE Dist, DVD, etc.

Except that almost never happens now since the topic-prefixes were implemented. You can see so for yourself right now in the VK DL section where there is only 1 topic that has SINGLE in the title on the first page and second pages combined.

Guest Magatsu

Yes, and it would be nice if you could see that at news topics too.

In one easy sight just like the download forum.

Doubt it'd work. Most topics are multi-purpose anyways. You can pick any random topic from Trombe and find a new member announcement, a CD announcement and a live announcement all posted in the same thread at different times. If anything, this would just clutter the forum more by forcing people to only make a news topic about a single item. Plus it'd be pretty stupid to see a topic like "[New Member] New member joins MEJIBRAY" or whatever. It's already in the topic, so it doesn't need to be stated twice, yet removing it from the title wouldn't make any sense(where as download topics didn't NEED to say what kind they were, but it was nice).

Going with what is going on in the news threads, in how multiple news are in one thread, it would be nice to organize the bands and the news pertaining to them. Much like how blogs tend to have a catalog of bands and you can just click on one of them to see what was the latest news from them. I still follow a few blogs for this reason, they are just organized better imo. I think the prefix is more work for the OP as they would now be forced to make a new thread for each news instead of just add on to the existing thread like what is going on now. Or if they could keep adding prefix onto the thread until maybe a limit of prefixes is reached and a new thread must be made.

Since 90% of news is posted by Trombe I'm inclined to think that he should decide if he wants those prefixes. He practically owns that section. XD

But as has been pointed out, the way Trombe posts news, it's not uncommon to contain more than one kind of news (for example one-man announcement plus release), or he updates them with other info kinds of later. Which is totally fine, especially for smaller bands it doesn't make sense to create a new topic for every little event.

Personally I always thought having topic prefixes for downloads only is a very neat way to spot downloads wuickly on the "New Content" page.

Also, am I the only one to think that having a special topic prefix for "death/deceases" is kinda, umm.... morbid? XD

Or if they could keep adding prefix onto the thread until maybe a limit of prefixes is reached and a new thread must be made.

By design you can only ever add one prefix to a thread. You can change it as often as you like, but that seems pretty bothersome to change it every time you add new information to a thread.

There already is the option to add topic tags for news threads, including multiple tags. (A topic prefix is basically just a regular topic tag that's visibly added in the thread title.)

We have never expressively forbidden to use of normal topic tags outside of the download section, but we haven't encouraged it either. So far Trombe has chosen not to use tags for his news threads anyway. We could define a set of predefined tags to use in the news forum and encourage their usage. They would pretty soon overpower the tag cloud though, so that would be the downside.

Guest Magatsu

Well it would be more easy to have a eye catcher to see in 1 second what the news is about.

But yes it's true that Trombe post often also other news in the topic.

So maybe it's just a stupid idea.

EDIT

Or we should make also a special Monochrome Heaven news blog :P

As Champ stated earlier, this thing is basically up to Trombe to decide.

But I think that by using only a few tags could actually help. What if only like two tags were used, eg. "New release" and "New band"? I doubt no one would really explore tags like New member, New tour (since most of us don't live in Japan), Hiatus etc - those interest only those who are actually interested in the band and they'll check the info anyways.

But I understand Magatsu's view of an easier way to spot new bands - though it isn't that hard or confusing atm.

Personally, i would not use the tags, i enjoy reading all the News at the same time, it gives me a fast overview of every news of all the bands. I would not use the tags, because it would just take me much time to verify every informations on all the bands.

Well it would be more easy to have a eye catcher to see in 1 second what the news is about.

Trombe already writes in a few words in his thread titles what the thread is about. It takes less than 5 seconds to read that thread title and decide whether you're going to click on it, so I wouldn't say that it's taking a lot of time to figure out what the thread is about. What's next, should we install an audio button and let CAT5 record the thread titles so he can read them FOR you?

As many members have said before, it's not that complicated or confusing that it needs changing. I agree with Champ on the fact that if we'd be making changes to the News section we'd definitely have to run them by Trombe, considering it's his section.

Guest Magatsu

Then the topic prefix at dl forum are useless too.

Because we always also wrote "album, single etc" as prefix.

But as I said already its a stupid idea. So just leave it.

Topic can be closed.