Mamo

How do you trade for rarez?

Are there sites out there where you can trade with japanese people for rarez? I'm really confused and have been for about 7 years on how certain people get rare releases, and the voodoo vault guy had some rare releases but mostly just old jazz or blues japanese stuff.(Which btw anyone can get by going to any various japanese music site so not that rare just old like 60's old.) So anyway how do people get these rarez and more importantly why are only a few people able to? Friends, connections, moving to japan? Is that the only option to get rarez and why is it from time to time no information can even be found about bands (ex. Sugahara kouta since1889) like his band before usagi appearently that band had at least one release but only one person has it. Now for my last question; if you have these releases and no one else can get them and you can buy them yourself because you don't know where to get them then why not just share, I always do even though I've only got my hands on a handful of rarez.

Because people are elitist and believe in keeping things to themselves, unfortunately. Also, there's the whole huge thing about credit. People want credit for everything and people had this thing where they hated all the mexican/spanish people and their blogspots where they'd post links of downloads they stole. A lot of people weren't happy about it.

I remember going through the stresses of this whole rarez thing a few years back. I forget how, but there are a few people that a notable for having rare things, and once you get to know who they are, you can use your super ultra rarez!11!  thing to trade and what not. The more you have, the more popular you'll become and you'll be introduced into a world of all these people. It's honestly unnecessary stress.

I do remember that TW had a secret forum for trading/sharing rarez, but you had to obtain a certain status... Not sure what it's like now though :x

And yea, knowing people in Japan helps too

Because people think that just because you bought it that no one deserves to hear it but themselves no matter how rare it is. the band might loose money if you share their one limited live cd! 

I can't give you any information as to the process of trading rares (since I don't have any), but I can say that I find the process inherently terrible. Lets be clear, the process of downloading music is illegal, no questions asked. But what bothers me isn't when people are trying to share out of the love of a band or trying to allow people to gain more musical diversity, but instead hold these files over there head like they have ownership over it. It makes you seem like a pretentious fuck and it single-handedly kills whatever good parts file sharing has going.

Guest Magatsu

or those people can't simply share because it's dangerous.

If a band knows it was you, then you are doomed as the fack.

Could be also a reason.

But the best way is to find a Japanese fan who will be kind enough to share the files only with you.

Guest Magatsu

Maybe contract break with the band?

That the band will hate you 4ever. (and as a fan you don't want that such thing will happen right?)

If you are a friend of a band you should be so kind to not share their files. a little bit respect ok? file sharing is illigal if you don't have the permission to share the file.

But if you are not a friend, then yes.. you can simple share their shizzel :D

just to clearify for everyone I wasn't refering to just downloading what the fuck ever, I want to know how trade buy sell or simply obtain rarez specifically COCKROACH kyotaro's band. And if it's a one time live dist. cd or whatever how the hell is anyone going to purchase it unless you happen to see it on mbok or something.

edit: I tried thier ohp and cdjapan said bank auction only as well as several other shopping service so they can't buy them unless you have a bank accout in japan and u-zd company is sold out of thier releases.

you just need to know the right people is all there is to it to be honest

also, from my own experience, 95% of rarez are rarez for a reason (they suck ass/they're random live-dist comment cds of band members reviewing hamburgers), but there's always the 5% of stuff that is legit good and impossible to get..

Or maybe they spent $50+ on a CD that was given out for free at a concert with 1 song on it and, quite frankly, don't want it to be on every corner of the internet so your dying blogspot or awful tumblr gets more hits on a rinkydink visiter counter applet. And of course, they'll have to make another thread for the same thing because it wasn't ripped in lossless: I need to be able to hear the vocalist's spit hitting the microphone or music will not cure my cancer!! 

Of course there's elitism. The only way to get what you want out of people who don't like to share in order to feel good about themselves is to have something they want. If you want a live distributed album that was only pressed into 20 copies from someone in Japan who has it,  you're going to need some collateral. Calling them a cunt on a last.fm shoutbox isn't going to change their minds either.

tl;dr : people think they're holier than thou because they have certain things, but at the same time everyone else also feels super entitled to having everything and any quality as soon as they read a thread Trombe wrote saying it was maybe released maybe not who knows

~Privilege is a two way street~

Also echoing what Tokage said. The overwhelming majority of rarez really aren't good in terms of quality or even good songs. Sometimes they end up just being samples or members mumbling over an instrumental version of a song they already put out or, more often then not, they're samples of a CD that never gets released because they break up 5 minutes later. Additionally some things aren't even "rare," so much as people stopped caring about them for 5 years and all the links to it died.

you just need to know the right people is all there is to it to be honest

also, from my own experience, 95% of rarez are rarez for a reason (they suck ass/they're random live-dist comment cds of band members reviewing hamburgers), but there's always the 5% of stuff that is legit good and impossible to get..

heard that btw are you named tokage after that obscure band tokage always wanted to ask?

To answer how: yahoo.jp , mbok, ebay.jp, or finding small sites that sell things like Lucy's Pocket or Rarez hut. There's really no specific method to do this outside of Japan: it's seriously all luck based and being at the right place at the right time. Having connections also helps a huge deal, but being as I don't have any I cannot give an input on that.

To answer how: yahoo.jp , mbok, ebay.jp, or finding small sites that sell things like Lucy's Pocket or Rarez hut. There's really no specific method to do this outside of Japan: it's seriously all luck based and being at the right place at the right time. Having connections also helps a huge deal, but being as I don't have any I cannot give an input on that.

what is rarez hut do you have a link

You want rarez, but you have no rarez to trade for these rarez? Forget about getting anything. I advise you to not go that way anyway, and listen only to available stuff. It's more stress free, because people who own rarez are rude. Never ask people to share anything with you, even in a nice way. All you'll get is a rude response.

You want rarez, but you have no rarez to trade for these rarez? Forget about getting anything. I advise you to not go that way anyway, and listen only to available stuff. It's more stress free, because people who own rarez are rude. Never ask people to share anything with you, even in a nice way. All you'll get is a rude response.

You really won't, though. There's maybe some cases of people who are total asslords, but many rarezpeople I know are actually pretty nice.

heard that btw are you named tokage after that obscure band tokage always wanted to ask?

Nope, I actually never even listened to them, heh. I'm just too lazy change my name into Turtels here as well. 8D

Guest Magatsu

People who own rarez want to share often only to people they trust and that it wouldn't be shared anywhere.

So the best way is, try to find a fan in japan to help you out. Or get a Japanese friend with a Japanese bankcount.

Problem solved.

If not then keep begging the band over and over again.

Make sure the person is charging you the right price, though, because I found someone once and in the end he cheated on the shipping costs (it was weirdly high), so the shopping service was cheaper for me.

My 2 cents. There's two ways of obtaining rarez:

1) Trade with traders, foreign or Japanese. Japanese traders are total asshats who think they're better than everyone, period. If you have no rarez of your own you can't get into this game.
Then there's foreign traders, most of the ones I know are, like Tokage said, nice people. The reason why they don't want to share their stuff? Mostly it's because if their stuff gets spread onto every corner of the web they lose their connections with their trader buddies since they didn't keep it to themselves. It's a nasty world but that's how it works, sorry.

2) Buy stuff yourself. This is how I got most of my rarez. I have some stuff I know a lot of people are interested in but trust me, if you pay €50 for like 3 songs that sound like they're recorded through a toaster you wouldn't feel that entitled to share it with the rest of the internet either, unless you poop money in your spare time or something. I don't, so yea.

from Mr Bacon "if you pay €50 for like 3 songs"

you lucky one, that what I pay'd few time for a 1 track CD   XD

also more for some CD...

But I thing you did too, like all of us that buy rare release and don't want to see them offer to the leecher with their shitty blog.

As has been pointed out, if you want to trade for rarez, you need rarez.

Also, if you want to trade with japanese traders, you better have a grasp of basic japanese, or at least the most common phrases used for trading, so you can pass off as japanese.

(I know that japanese traders have a terrible reputation, but if you get to know them they are actually pretty nice. I manged to befriend a few during my p2p days, and then they would give me all their rarez for free, even though I could rarely return the favor, and even though they sooner or later realized I wasn't actually Japanese. They are harsh against outsiders, but very generous to their friends.)

I stopped trading years ago, because it was more hassle than worth the effort, but I had two primary ways of trading: p2p in specialized rooms like on Utatane, and trade lists. I'm guessing that p2p vk-trading is pretty much dead, and I'm actually not sure if list trading is still a thing. Most of my contacts seem to have stopped with it anyway. Basically, you will sometimes encounter trade lists on the internet that will usually look like this. It lists the stuff they have, the stuff they want, their eMail and other requirements. You can contact them with a list of your own stuff, and if you are lucky they will reply. I have never once gotten a "rude" reply, the worst (and not uncommon thing) to happen is no reply at all.

But again, you should have some knowledge of japanese so you can read their rules and communicate with them. And, to get really rare stuff, you better have some damn rare stuff yourself. Most list traders have a hierachy of "rareness", usually indicated by stars or similar. They will not trade some COCKROACH release for just any random Alice Nine release, obviously.

If you don't want to bother with that, trying to find stuff on auctions is probably the easier, albeit more expensive way.

My 2 cents. There's two ways of obtaining rarez:

1) Trade with traders, foreign or Japanese. Japanese traders are total asshats who think they're better than everyone, period. If you have no rarez of your own you can't get into this game.

Then there's foreign traders, most of the ones I know are, like Tokage said, nice people. The reason why they don't want to share their stuff? Mostly it's because if their stuff gets spread onto every corner of the web they lose their connections with their trader buddies since they didn't keep it to themselves. It's a nasty world but that's how it works, sorry.

2) Buy stuff yourself. This is how I got most of my rarez. I have some stuff I know a lot of people are interested in but trust me, if you pay €50 for like 3 songs that sound like they're recorded through a toaster you wouldn't feel that entitled to share it with the rest of the internet either, unless you poop money in your spare time or something. I don't, so yea.

how do you get in contact with people like that?

that aren't all that rare

^oh yes this.

I mean. they exist. Actually rare releases. Mostly by obscure bands or super limited stuff.

But that's a small percentage. Then there's the stuff people are just too greedy to buy or too lazy to actively look for.