2. Dir en grey - Ryoujoku no Ame

I'm only a casual dir en grey fan, but this is still my favorite track from them! Great choice, I absolutely adore that opening riff.

This is an awesome idea! Definitely agree with Miscast. As for Dir En Grey, for me it simply has to be the opening riff to...

Another one of my fav. dir en grey songs. I love how "big" the riffs are in this one.

As for some of my personal favorites, here are 2 that came to mind. Neither are particularly creative or musically jaw-dropping, but they've struck a chord with me and have stick with me throughout the years. :lol:

凛として時雨 - replica (the riff starts at 1:23 and plays throughout most of the song from there. you can hear it particularly clearly at 1:45, though it's rhythm is slightly different at that point).

It would be easier to choose a riff from ling that ISN'T awesome. TK's vocals may be troublesome for some, but he's an absolute demon on the fretboard. More than his technical skill, his sense of melody and knack for coming up with distinct, yet catchy riffs has always awed me. I love this riff in particular because it's kind of wacky-sounding, yet furious and intense at the same time. This one also feels a bit more "thematic" than a good bit of TK's other songs since it's used a good way though the song and not just as an intro/outro thing.

9mm Parabellum Bullet - Termination (the main riff here - starting at 00:10. it plays a bit throughout the song. You can hear it for a bit longer @ 3:18 as it closes out the song, and eventually ends without distortion)

Yoshimitsu Taki was, at one point, one of my favorite guitarists next to TK. A lot of his riffs in early 9mm material were catchy and had a distinct style to them. I enjoy this riff because it sounds beautifully out of place. It sounds like it was lifted from a cheesy European folk metal song, yet here it is in a "hard" "indie-rock" track? A wonderful microcosm of 9mm's subtle genre grafting at the time.

EDIT: Here's another really simple, but effective one that i'm fond of:

OGRE YOU ASSHOLE - ロボトミー (opening riff, used throughout most of the song)

I love how OYA took this one, repetitive riff and expanded it into what is imo one of the best songs they've ever done. It's simple, but it has a groove to it that sucks you in makes you nod along; almost like that of a really sleek hip hop beat.

Awesome thread idea! This so interesting. Love the Dir en grey and Radwimps picks!

Some personal faves of mine include:

Though, if we're gonna talk Radwimps... mine is 実況中継. (starts about 0:23 and then main chorus outro riff)

I just can't get enough of it. I really love the guitarwork in this entire song but that particular one makes me lose my mind.

Mucc - 極彩 (0:26/main riff)

Mucc has always done really guitar driven music (considering their guitarist is the main composer, surprise surprise) but this riff when first heard it just ripped my head off. And that feeling just never left me. I'm not a guitarist so I can't give you any technical reasonings. Just that it always left a really strong impression on me and was every bit as catchy as the vocal melody and really, more so.

NoGoD - Mr. HEAVEN (intro/main riff)

Same reason as above, only I feel like you could throw a rock and hit a NoGoD song with super solid riffage so this kind of comes down to personal preference. But I find this song beastly.

FACT - slip of the lip (intro/main riff - but skip the first minute there's no music until then.)

This may be the de facto signature FACT riff. I feel like this was the riff that launched a large portion of their fanbase. And rightfully so. It's catchy as hell. And it's one of the few from this era that wasn't swallowed up by their heavy electronic influences. It's just really fun and, back when I heard it for the first time, was unique sounding. It left it's mark on me.

Hopefully I can edit in another pick later. But I basically picked songs that when I think of them... the part that comes to mind first is the guitar riff and not any other part of that song. 

Cool thread, and I definitely have to agree with Radwimps and Dir en grey(especially Red Em).

Here's my picks.

eight - illational of the people

Eight had some killer riffs, and they picked one of the best to open the album with. It gets even better when the slap bass enters. Apart from the intro riff, this song is one big combination of awesome riffs, and they work so well.

girugamesh - Gokusou

Girugamesh's riffage isn't spectacular, but they still have some cool stuff going on. Back in 2005/2006 I was in love with the opening riff of this song, and it's still good.

MaveRick (Eat You Alive) - Want to be connected

The only album this band released under the name MaveRick had some really cool riffs, and I just love the harsh guitar tone. This first proper riff on the album is just so damn powerful.

Byee the Round - Rockstar

I just melt when I hear that opening lead riff. God, so good.

abingdon boys school - HOWLING

This song's intro stood out to me for the riffs. I don't know if it's how it was produced but man it sounds good.

I'll edit this post later to add more.

Lycaon time bitches! but seriously this is so fucking hard because they are just the fucking best at this and it just "uhhhh really do i have to choose.

first I'm going to go with dahlia. The whole riffage is fucking A (same for any of their songs), but I'm going to go with the scream/chorus @1.00 because it really is the highlight for me. In the mist of this shitting on old school and spookyness we have this groovyass fucking riff, and you are just riding; sex comes to mind.  At the same time it has has this power to it as it kinda drops and has this crunchiness to it. so expand that imagery to a badass spy with a gun and at the end of the day getting that play play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VnqWALimw

The end of [Delusion]'s main riffage Next because  it's also to fucking groovy but in a different way. It maybe metal it just makes me wanna part. Totally supports my Club Lycaon idea. funny though how galeyd tried to copy it and failed majorly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUWdFlezIo

残酷のサロメ's main riffage because it's the club's jam. The synths are what you are moving to, it's this crispy riffage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvepFRPYlQ

dorei to kubiwa's first riffs because it was really bold of them to do this generic core riffs, but they added their spice to it with the tuning, and were smart to only use them twice. And it set the song so that it would be the same with out them

Rouge's main riffange. because it's classy while being full of like, fitting to royalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJPqhzCCto8

bump

really nice! are all their songs like that?

love it