Also very simple: post a video and the person below you has to rate how good the guitar riff(s) are. A sentence or two explaining if they liked/disliked it and why is good enough. I'll start with something good:

Guest Magatsu

Lycaon could be so much better :P

Or just beautiful simple riffs, bass & guitar just as this.

Calmando Qual: There's not a lot going on for guitar in that track. It seems like the bass opens up with a minor 2nd and the guitar is just doing something similar down the neck. For what it's going for it's pretty good.

14:50 - 19:19 is the song (sorry I couldn't find the track by itself)

EDIT: The riff starts showing up at around 15:50

I was waiting for that song to develop into something, but it just never seemed to happen? It all sounded like build-up to me.

Relentless beat me ughhh give me a few to react to his post

I like your example! It's very tumultuous and I can see how it fits into the theme of "The Ocean" that the album is based on.  (Wait, "The Ocean" is the band's name? Je suis confused).

I feel like I've been meaning to try out that album for some reason, but I forgot where I first found it.

not metuhl but w/e

sounds like nice rock riffs, herd something like that before. and Lycaon "Gazette-riffage worship"? ahh noooo

@paradoxal: it's "mister" jfc ;)

Not trying to sound harsh but I can hear some lousy attempts on thrash-ish riffs above...and that is not unfortunately my cup of tea.

In case someone's wondering, the original song was played with two guitars, and here the lead (rhythm guitarist left the band for some time)
guitarist tries to incorporate both (rhythm and lead) parts. Thinking positively though, this lets him shine better :)

It's not bad, i've heard the original and I gotta say I prefer the original riff // 3.5/5

http://youtu.be/DKxhuzy7H9E

The whole song is riffalicious but I would like to direct your attention to 0:27. (Jesus, why can't I get the video to show instead of the link!)

That's one pretty neat riff. I digs the rhythm.

Posting Vektor is kinda cheap though but this opening riff is too good.

Funky (in the good way), so its nice.

can't really hear much of the riff through all the mud, but it seems to be lycaon's take on gazestep, which is pretty ok i guess :)

sorry i didn't know it was hard to hear, can you hear this?

My kind of riffage!

Eh. I mean it's good for the genre that it pertains to I think and I mean it's still something that would require some skill on guitar. But other than a few sweeps it sounds kind of basic to me. I'd like to see something that utilizes more than the first two-three strings. Don't hate it, but not my thing.

I guess this thread isn't limited to Japanese music? Anyways, the above song isn't something I'm into but the riffs well played.

it's nice rock riffs

love this shit (fuck the original) great direction for Lycaon to go in.

I can appreciate this riff a lot more. The guitar work is pretty rad.

ignore the pv, I couldn't find a music only video.

10/10 because Claypool makes some genius basslines/riffs...and nothing wrong with LaLonde's shredding either (okay, Brown Album is the least album from Primus I like, along with Antipop but still)

Intro/Main riff (+ there are many other nice riffs scattered throughout)

in fact, most of the riffage here reminds me of...some works by Mucc/Kalimero

really nice! are all their songs like that?

love it

So, we have this "Rate this riff" thread posted by @Zeus like ages ago, but we never had any kind of thread where we could just sit back and think of our personal "top choices" in terms of "j-rock" riffs? I am gonna fix that!

So the point is very simple - post max. 5 of your top choices when it comes to your essential/most cherished riffs/riffages in Japanese rock/metal (VK or not, doesn't matter!), and make sure to open up on your choices: what makes it great? What makes it memorable/"essential" in your case?

Mind those questions before moving on with MAX. 5 choices, so you guys better refrain from spamming 10 youtube embeds without any further explanations. PS: use spoilers for YT links!

My example:

1. X JAPAN - Miscast

(intro/main riff)

It's not a big surprise that most of my all-time favorite vk riff-rockers (Hyena, Unknown...Despair...a Lost, G.) actually stem from this banging number by X! While the main riff itself is nothing short of similar to something you could hear quite often in 80s glam acts, I still consider it as an important 'mold' for definitive vk influences: groovy, rocking guitars that easily adapt to sinister-sounding verses, yet to poppy hooks and choruses as well! So it's more or less "definitive nostalgia" to me :)

2. Dir en grey - Ryoujoku no Ame

(intro/main riff)

I had a bit of hard time in exploring Dir stuff that I liked a lot with PROMINENT RIFFING! Ironically enough this came out at the time when their catchy guitarwork was at its lowest and favored Western-ish drop approach instead, so I still consider this to be a "black sheep" of MOAB singles.In addition,  this is one of the few Dir songs where you could just cut a riff or two from any part, and I could name you this exact song as a response. But all that fussy talk aside, fans might disagree with me when it comes to discussing this exact riff (fun fact: Dir songbook(s) even define that verse chugging as part of that "melodic" intro/outro) but I felt that this is where Kaoru and DIe's cooperative guitarwork is done RIGHT and with a good, unique taste - as in not taking a leaf out of Luna Sea's book.

Oh, the song itself is a bonanza of melancholic, yet melodic and memorable "Dirriffs" in my case too :)

3. Radwimps - Oshakashama

(intro/main riff)

I usually tend to disregard standard J-indie/"emo" tracks due to superior, technical capabilities in any other department than guitarwork (e.g. drumwork in AKFG), but Radwimps proves me wrong: rhythmic, synchronized tap riff (a.k.a main riff) that actually emphasizes the backing instrumentation rather than takes all the attention away from them (you know that moment when guitar riffing literally makes you forget about bass, drums and perhaps even vocals? It's nothing surreal tbh). As a result, we get a grandiose, yet playful entirety of instrumental expertise by each member. Hands down one of the most definitive "J-indie" riffs to me (well I don't know where to lump Radwimps anyway?) .

I cannot think of other numbers for now since there are way too many, urgh.

So feel free to share and discuss!

Ps. timestamping is appreciated! Don't mind me though...