Tetora

Ever feel like supporting an artist isn`t worth it?

Hey guys,

Are there ever circumstances for you, where you feel, or even just think, that there is no point supporting an artist, or that your money is used in unscrupulous ways anyway?

For example, I used to love a certain band, but they started making music that I didn`t like. In any case, I felt as if they were a band that I always loved, and I would always give a chance to / stick with.

But... In this case, they are putting out music I think is bad first off, and second, when I looked at the frontman`s blog, I saw him taking pics of his expensive clothes and leather jackets... Including just taking pics of the tags on clothing or bags from expensive stores...

Isn`t it kind of wrong to you? Basically you are inadvertantly helping this guy buy stupid stuff he doesn`t need, and he is showing it off in vain ways to you, the fan... And what if I were vegetarian or vegan for example? I`m paying for leather jackets...

Then they post pics of smoking or drinking... And I am inadvertantly paying for that... Or even drugs, as some VK bands do, and may famous Rock bands have or still do. Eric Clapton snorted away millions, reportedly, and even started selling his guitar collection for more...

Or if the artist is really popular already, you are paying someone that makes more than you already.

But of course, if everyone followed this, the artist would go broke again (possibly).

Don Henley (Drummer and Vocalist of The Eagles) said once that many people have this kind of wrong sense of entitlement with art in any case, where they think art and expression should be free to you. But in the end it is a product, and it is made of hard-work and often passion.What do you think of this?

Then there is another way of viewing it, as a girl once told me whence explaining why she didn`t buy cd`s... She said something like less than a dollar actually goes to the artist... But in any case even if paying execs and studios, you still have to pay anyway for the artist to thrive, right?

Let me know what you think.

(DISCLAIMER: NOT ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE NECESSARILY MY OWN, I AM SIMPLY LISTING EXAMPLES FOR DISCUSSIONS SAKE IN SOME CASES.)

I don't really care about an artists personal life. But if I were to look at it that way, it is just a basic question of morals I guess. A very weak one at that since if you look at people in general, a great majority of which will also spend money on stupid shit but that stupid shit would be a matter of opinion. So should we stop paying people money and leave them jobless too??

People will look for contentment differently, to some it maybe spending money on expensive materials, consuming illegal substance or obtaining sex and to some ice cream is plenty.

Music wise, I pay for the music first and foremost and other merchandise second. I am currently in a falling out with Hizaki and camp. It's disappointing personally since he one of the first artist I have grown to love for the work and I have to ultimately stop supporting after so long, I just can't dump my money on a shitty sounding band.

Note:

I don't think artists gain much from CD sales though, I was under the impression live gigs generate more revenue. 

I buy CDs (or any other band merchanside) mostly for myself. Because I like to have it. Supporting the band, however little of it actually reaches them, is just an added bonus (and what they do with their money is really up to them - I'm not too much in the business of judging other people's lifestyle.)

And if the music of a band I used to like suddenly turned bad - well, I'll stop buying it. In this day and age nobody has to buy bad music anymore. There is usually more than one way, legal or illegal, to listen to something before buying, if you are unsure. 

I think it would have to be something REALLY serious for me to stop buying music I like (or any other band stuff) just to prevent the few cents of my purchase from reaching the artist - like, I dunno, them turning into completely fucked-up nazi assholes or child rapists or whatever. Then maybe I would think "Yeah.... maybe I'll just keep my money". But them spending "my" money on useless stuff? Hardly.

Suffice to say, that hasn't happened to me so far.

That's true. Artists don't get much from CD sales. When the CD is imported since a lot of us like Japanese music, a lot of what you pay goes into shipping and stuff.

As to live gigs, you are paying for your one time enjoyment of the show. Your money is exchanged for their work of playing the music. It's fair trade unless you think the ticket price is not worth it. Of course, people can stop liking certain music for various reasons. If you are not happy with how the artists spend the money they earn, or if you don't like the music they make anymore, you will just stop paying for songs and gig tickets. No matter whatever you have paid for in the past, you have enjoyed the benefit so I think it was worth it.

I have a bad habit of hoarding CDs of certain artists I used to be obsessed over but no longer like (or like as much). Which explains how I ended up with ~1000 CDs even though I don't listen to most of those bands anymore. It's probably one of the most silly things anyone can do ><

I'm usually annoyed to find out that in reality artists get peanuts out of CD sales, but it's just how the industry works and unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. As for whether they want to use the money to smoke or do drugs, it's none of my business. I buy CDs because I enjoy their music, and am paying for their time/effort/talent in that respect. Whether they spend this money in a "moral" way is their own choice, and not something I'll be bothered by. It would suck to have someone supervising how you spend your money :P

I think many vk bands don't deserve the support of the foreign fanbase, because they're totally closed towards anyone outside Japan. If they sell CDs in the shops that ship overseas, then it's good, but when they don't, they clearly don't want any money other than the money of Japanese fans. That's when I think they don't deserve it. I wouldn't care much about the lifestyle of the artist if I wanted to buy the CD, because I'd be paying for something they made, not for getting themselves for me. Would you stop buying things from a shop whose owner drinks, does drugs and owns designer's clothes, but it's the shop you like and they have good prices? Probably not. Your money goes to pockets of owners of the big corporations all the time and you don't complain that these people have more money than you, so you should stop supporting them.

I buy music and merch for my myself, not to support anyone. However, if I help artists getting a bit more money that's great, no matter what they use the money on, be it to record music, go on tour, buy expensive clothes, pay prostitutes or buy drugs. That's none of my business and they are free to spend it on whatever they want without me complaining about it.

I think many vk bands don't deserve the support of the foreign fanbase, because they're totally closed towards anyone outside Japan. If they sell CDs in the shops that ship overseas, then it's good, but when they don't, they clearly don't want any money other than the money of Japanese fans.

Do you think most Japanese bands decides where their CDs and merch should be sold? I'm sure most bands would want their CDs to be sold anywhere in the world, but at the end of the day that's not up to them to decide, but the label they're signed to.

Do you think most Japanese bands decides where their CDs and merch should be sold? I'm sure most bands would want their CDs to be sold anywhere in the world, but at the end of the day that's not up to them to decide, but the label they're signed to.

I didn't say "foreign shops", but "shops that ship overseas", some bands have their own webshops, for example, that don't ship outside of Japan. It's their choice to do so. I understand they can't afford releasing and selling stuff in the foreign shops (and I doubt this all would sell, because people prefer Japanese versions), but many bands are able to sell through cdjapan or brand-x, why not others? There are many bands that sell in shops not available for foreign fans, we aren't their business target. They also decide if they want to be signed under the particular label, they aren't toys who don't have their own will. That's why there's no reason to support these bands.

My mistake, sorry. Maybe they don't feel like it's worth the trouble? I've got no problem with it whatsoever anyway, and I see no reason not to support these bands if I get the chance to do so.

I never thought of this before. Something I don't like about Visual Kei bands is that many of them, as soon as they reach some level of success that allows them to go major they take the chance, but that is not the worst. The worst is that they change their musical style for a more commercial one.

Not that I don't like pop music or pop rock like Good Charlotte to name a band, but that is not what I look for and what delighted me when I first listened to Visual Kei. What fascinated me about Visual Kei (apart from aesthetics) is the music itself from bands such as Aliene Ma'riage, Verfe~gorl, Due'le quartz, Noir fleurir, Missalina Rei, Lareine, Gill'e cadith, etc. Music that most of the time you have to develop a taste to.

I would like Visual Kei bands to be faithful to their musical style and keep improving it through time and not changing it from rock to pop.

In that sense I would hardly support a band, especially now since finding a band that sounds old school and will stick to it while improving the style is like finding a needle in the hay.

Somehow this topic makes me feel ueasy.

Why?

It makes it sound like actually paying the artist for the music you listen to is some kind of charity. Where you can whine later that not all of your money went to poor children in africa. Like the stuff musicians do isn't work. (Set aside that most make money with something else and income through band activities is very small as we all know by now.)

Well it is. If you buy a cd you are paying for the people who were involved in making it. You are not paying for whatever they buy from it. Money goes around the whole world anyway and all the money you ever touched has been owned by assholes, has been used to buy weapons or slaves or whatever and you still use it as if it was fresh and new and innocent.

Would you like the customers of the company you are working on boycot it because they saw on your blog that you used it to buy bad music made by men in dresses?

(Of course I'm all for boycotting companies that support animal cruelty or nationalist organizations or whatnot. But thats a different thing from what one person can change with the little private money they have.)

That's a good point. The clothes you wear have probably a more questionable history than the music you buy, considering that most clothes, even expensive brands, are manufactured in 3rd world countries under often horrible conditions. Or coffee. Or bananas. Being worried about greedy record company execs getting my money instead of a poor starving rock band seems odd when most people don't give a second thought about the money the spend for other goods.

In that sense I would hardly support a band, especially now since finding a band that sounds old school and will stick to it while improving the style is like finding a needle in the hay.

Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but are you saying you don't want to support small indie bands because once they get money and become successful they will try to go major and change their music to something you don't like? So you rather not give them any money, so they will stay unsuccessful and never change their sound? XD Because that sounds like a pretty convoluted reasoning. Not supporting a band NOW because at some point in the future they may change their sound is kinda odd.

I am the first to admit that I download a lot of music. But if I really like a band, I want to have something by the band, and it's only fair that I pay the band for that. So what if only a small fraction of that money actually reaches them? That's the way they chose to make their music availible. Nowadays, you don't have to go that route. You can try to go for crowdfunding, or self-publication over the internet - which of course is a lot of work, so many bands still seem to prefer signing with a record label, which means other people will take care of production, management, marketing and logistics. Which means a cut in their own profits. But it's their decision to make. I'm not going to boycot a band I like because they willingly chose this way of publishing.

this is the theme again if personality of artist plays any role in the music you like. and like 90% of people i am sure they would say to you :NO i only care about music. i have seen it so many times.
excuse me but i care about personality too.at least i notice it. like it or not you can't avoid it. the art was made by a person, not by itself.
so i say if you feel someones personality is so terrible you can not stand it or it goes against your believes. you should feel free to stop listening to him or stop loving his art so much or even boycotting.but of course you should boycott something only if your reasons are indeed noble or righteous !! (otherwise you are shitty personality too)  you can stop listening though personally for whatever reason you want. music is for your own pleasure. you can even be superficial imo.
on the other hand if you feel he has so great talent and you adore his art to the point you can not stop listening .then keep listening to it. but keep saying i don't support his attitude.
music is about your own pleasure so if it bothers you stop listening to it. if it doesn't ,don't stop.

also there is a limit in the opposite way.
would you support an artist you hate his music because he has a nice personality? that's crazy too.

a lot of people say you should be loyal to a band nomatter what. that's stupid. even in marriage you can get divorced.
even in frienships if you do not have any connection anymore,how are you going to keep it. WHY would you want to keep it?
what is the reason?

Guest Magatsu

What i don't get often.

You ask a indie band (no label): oh do you sell overseas?

Then you get a really; Oh no sorry we don't. (is it so hard to get paypal? is it so hard to go to the postoffice to ship a simple CD?!)

Or the live limited CD's. (to who we can't go) (Also those live limited songs need to be for FREE DL (at least if they are distributed for free))

Those people shouldn't complain about that their music will be spread out illigal. Because we can't simple buy it from them.

Because is it really that hard to get paypal? no it isn't...

But back to topic.

I don't care if my money goes to a nice label who really care about their bands. who really does everything to promote a band.

But what I don't get from Japanese labels that they still sell CD's for such expensive money. oO since nowdays you won't get rich from selling CD's; they could better concentrate more at selling LIVE goodies.

But I don't mind if artist buys expensive stuff. most artist even also have other jobs. maybe they work at a hostclub or whatever?!

So you will never known if they really spent your money or the money they got from their normal job. It's their money. They gave us music, they gave or goodies so they are free whatever they want to do with the money.

But yes there are also bands who really use FANS to get expensive stuff. But those guys need to be punished in their face ASAP.

That's a good point. The clothes you wear have probably a more questionable history than the music you buy, considering that most clothes, even expensive brands, are manufactured in 3rd world countries under often horrible conditions. Or coffee. Or bananas. Being worried about greedy record company execs getting my money instead of a poor starving rock band seems odd when most people don't give a second thought about the money the spend for other goods.

Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but are you saying you don't want to support small indie bands because once they get money and become successful they will try to go major and change their music to something you don't like? So you rather not give them any money, so they will stay unsuccessful and never change their sound? XD Because that sounds like a pretty convoluted reasoning. Not supporting a band NOW because at some point in the future they may change their sound is kinda odd.

I am the first to admit that I download a lot of music. But if I really like a band, I want to have something by the band, and it's only fair that I pay the band for that. So what if only a small fraction of that money actually reaches them? That's the way they chose to make their music availible. Nowadays, you don't have to go that route. You can try to go for crowdfunding, or self-publication over the internet - which of course is a lot of work, so many bands still seem to prefer signing with a record label, which means other people will take care of production, management, marketing and logistics. Which means a cut in their own profits. But it's their decision to make. I'm not going to boycot a band I like because they willingly chose this way of publishing.

Let me put it this way. I want to listen to Ishoku Othello Shoujo Lolita 23ku and not Ceramic Star Shoujo Lolita 23ku. I want Visual Kei bands to push their initial musical style further and not changing it for a commercial one that one sooner or later will grow bored of because that kind of msic is only made to last short.

As I said, I love old school Visual Kei bands and their sound and I want bands to stick to it while improving the style and their techniques through time.

i think i was out of subject above though. you mean if you love someones music but don't want to buy their cd because he has shitty attitude.

i have never had this problem. if i don't like his personality at all. i want to stop listening to him. and not keep listening but not buy the cd.

Let me put it this way. I want to listen to Ishoku Othello Shoujo Lolita 23ku and not Ceramic Star Shoujo Lolita 23ku. I want Visual Kei bands to push their initial musical style further and not changing it for a commercial one that one sooner or later will grow bored of because that kind of msic is only made to last short.

As I said, I love old school Visual Kei bands and their sound and I want bands to stick to it while improving the style and their techniques through time.

Well yeah. I think it goes without saying that nobody should support a band that makes music they don't like. That seems rather self-explanatory and obvious to me.

But your post made it sound like you would not support a band NOW, while they make music you DO like, because you think they will change anyway and become sell-outs. How do you know that a band will change for the worse later?

Supporting the music you like/love is wonderful, but as many have noted already, buying all of the merch/CDs in the world does not mean you get to control the will or fate of the band. If the band is going to change styles, disband, or use their money snort cocaine from the dirty asses of prostitutes - that's simply beyond your control. It's a bit egotisitcal to think that you own a band because you own their CD, or to think that a band has to conform to your whims because you spent money on them.

You see, there's this wonderful thing called "free will" - so if you like it, feel free to support it - if you don't like it, you don't have to support it.

I really don't care whether my favourite band uses the small amount of money they make from CDs (which isn't quite a lot, considering a lot of the album sales money is used to pay other people involved in the process of making a CD, as someone already stated before me) to take their kids to the zoo or sniff coke from a prostitute's behind. The money they make because I spend it on them is theirs and they can do whatever they want with it, unless they're using it to support neo-nazi's or smth like that lol (then obviously I wouldn't put money into people who support that sort of thing). They put effort and time into making the music so I shouldn't feel entitled just because I bought that CD that they should do what I want them to do.

Just buy what you enjoy from a band. They released an album you didn't like? Too bad, then don't buy it. But don't start whining that you spent so much money on them and now they're "doing this to you and you feel so betrayed". A band does whatever they want musically (unless in specific cases with awful contracts or whatever but then again it's still up the band itself to decide to go major and in the process lose some of their individuality) and if you don't enjoy it you should just not support it.

I really don't care whether my favourite band uses the small amount of money they make from CDs (which isn't quite a lot, considering a lot of the album sales money is used to pay other people involved in the process of making a CD, as someone already stated before me) to take their kids to the zoo or sniff coke from a prostitute's behind. The money they make because I spend it on them is theirs and they can do whatever they want with it, unless they're using it to support neo-nazi's or smth like that lol (then obviously I wouldn't put money into people who support that sort of thing). They put effort and time into making the music so I shouldn't feel entitled just because I bought that CD that they should do what I want them to do.

Just buy what you enjoy from a band. They released an album you didn't like? Too bad, then don't buy it. But don't start whining that you spent so much money on them and now they're "doing this to you and you feel so betrayed". A band does whatever they want musically (unless in specific cases with awful contracts or whatever but then again it's still up the band itself to decide to go major and in the process lose some of their individuality) and if you don't enjoy it you should just not support it.

Honestly, just to clarify, I was presenting different hypothetical scenarios... I feel like a lot of the responses might have actually been attacking me and assuming things, but I am just presenting a discussion. If people weren`t aiming at me, or if they were, whatever, I am not mad, just clarifying so you know me.

As for my personal feelings... I have strong beliefs, but I understand that everyone sees things differently, and does different things. When I buy a cd, or whatever, I do it to obtain that thing which I want, and to support the quality of that product, those good songs, etc...

If someone makes a bad cd, or a bad pair of jeans that rip, etc... I wont buy, unless special circumstances like a band goes in a direction I don`t like, but are still trying to make what they think is good... If that band was always there for me, I will be there for them, I don`t care. If I turn on wrestling, and they have some boring night, I still keep it on, because I know them, and they have been there for me every Monday night, and I don`t turn so easily...

But I also find it interesting if say a vegetarian or vegan likes a band, or person, and supports them, what do they feel when they see that band wearing expensive leather jackets, or fur or whatever? Everybody is different, but it is still a complicated world.

Just my opinions, I find this all very interesting, and nice to know your opinions, thanks for all input so far!

Oh my message wasn't directed at you, please don't misunderstand that. I doubt people are attacking you though, it's just the way most people feel about the statement presented ;)

Hmmm, this is an interesting topic. At times I do feel like bands/ certain artists aren't worth supporting because some of them charge expensive prices for  basic material at times. The main reason I support the artist I do nowadays is because they're nice to their fans and give good content. If I see a band that trashes or disrespects their fan-base then I don't buy from them anymore and sell all the material I have of them. (Which I have yet to do)

An example for a band that I supported that wasn't too popular was DELACROIX, they gave their fans free digital downloads, 4 or 5 times in a row which most bands never do. So I went ahead and thought to myself, "Wow, they have free music! I'll give the rest of their music a listen to." Bought some of their material and since their disbandment, I've grown more on them. 
I also sometimes download music just for a preview if I'm skeptical about the sound. 

Mainly what encourages me to buy from bands is if they interact with their fans in their native place and foreign fans too. Bands such as: Rammstein, lix, heidi., etc. have come to America to give their fans a taste of their music and some even had VIP passes to hang out with them. I find that to be very cool actually, that they're willing to interact with fans that are overseas and not be afraid of them or give them the "American" stereotype. 
Another reason I support artists is because of nice album covers.