JukaForever

Uploader's Café

Wanted to somewhat make a random comment about transcodes without making a new thread or updating one from years ago.

Personally, I found myself to believe that transcodes were something that should be avoided at all costs. However, lately, I've come to the conclusion that they're just fine. While I'd prefer something ripped in higher quality, the quality can sometimes be quite discernible. This is comparing transcodes to 256/320Kbps rips through Bose heaphones as well as a decent car sound system. I've even found certain 320Kbps rips that double rainbow across Spek sound much worse than even 192Kbps rips. Considering ripping can be made so customizable, I'm sure many people are just not configuring the rip settings correctly, adding balance to the volume when it's not needed and such.

Originally, I thought this term meant something that was ripped through Youtube. Now, that's something I don't want. Though, even HQ rips through Youtube are proving to sound better than all of that old VK mess many of us have ranging from the late 80s to late 90s; you know, the tape rips and other rips done when quality wasn't as prominent (many are 128Kbps).

Anyway, it's not an important subject; just wanted to comment on it. We're lucky to be able to listen to the songs at all provided they are no where else to be heard.

I missed touching on several other subjects regarding the matter (filetypes: wma, flac, etc.), but I'm not looking for a response or anything. I'll just leave it as that for now.

(And if you do feel the need to respond, I'll gladly hit any points or arguments you have to make.)

HQ youtube maxes out at 192 as far as I remember so it should(maybe) be better than 128 rips. However if the original audio was in 128 or any other lossy format, then it is a transcode to 192 0.0

~90% of audible music should be represented in any of the lossy format but I guess only the OCD/audiophile will care about the other ~10%

something sounding better is subjective and the lossed part of the music could be the reason for it to sound better

No idea where to post this so i'll just do it here since it's most important/relevant to uploaders.

If you share iTunes purchases, make sure your iTMS Scrubber is updated. Apparently iTunes has sneakily added a new DRM field called "owner" which extracts your full name from your OS system files. This field is currently not erased by iTMS Scrubber v2.3 (for Windows), which is the version I believe most of us are using. I verified this by making a purchase 20 minutes ago and running the Scrubber, and my name wasn't erased.

Here are the steps to manually update your Scrubber - you only have to perform it once.

Open itms-scrubber.cmd in Notepad or a text editor. If you're unable to see the "Open with..." option, go to Folder Options in your Control Panel, unhide file extensions for known file types, and append .txt to your itms-scrubber.cmd to force-open it in Notepad.

Now the 6th line of the code should read:

FOR /R %%f IN (*.m4*) DO START /W tools\atomicparsley-utf8 "%%f" --DeepScan --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak[2].mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.avc1.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.UUID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.apID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.sfID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.purd --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.Xtra --freefree 0 -W

Replace this with:

FOR /R %%f IN (*.m4*) DO START /W tools\atomicparsley-utf8 "%%f" --DeepScan --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak[2].mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.avc1.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.UUID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.apID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.sfID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.purd --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.Xtra --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.ownr --freefree 0 -W

You can toggle file extensions off if you've previously shown them to edit the file. That's all, the scrubber should remove the new field now. Steps should be similar for Mac version, though I'm unable to confirm that since I'm on Windows.

Hope this helps :)

On 12/27/2014 at 11:34 AM, hiroki said:

No idea where to post this so i'll just do it here since it's most important/relevant to uploaders.

If you share iTunes purchases, make sure your iTMS Scrubber is updated. Apparently iTunes has sneakily added a new DRM field called "owner" which extracts your full name from your OS system files. This field is currently not erased by iTMS Scrubber v2.3 (for Windows), which is the version I believe most of us are using. I verified this by making a purchase 20 minutes ago and running the Scrubber, and my name wasn't erased.

Here are the steps to manually update your Scrubber - you only have to perform it once.

Open itms-scrubber.cmd in Notepad or a text editor. If you're unable to see the "Open with..." option, go to Folder Options in your Control Panel, unhide file extensions for known file types, and append .txt to your itms-scrubber.cmd to force-open it in Notepad.

Now the 6th line of the code should read:

FOR /R %%f IN (*.m4*) DO START /W tools\atomicparsley-utf8 "%%f" --DeepScan --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak[2].mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.avc1.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.UUID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.apID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.sfID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.purd --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.Xtra --freefree 0 -W

Replace this with:

FOR /R %%f IN (*.m4*) DO START /W tools\atomicparsley-utf8 "%%f" --DeepScan --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak[2].mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.avc1.pinf --manualAtomRemove moov.trak.mdia.minf.stbl.stsd.mp4a.UUID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.apID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.sfID --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.purd --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.Xtra --manualAtomRemove moov.udta.meta.ilst.ownr --freefree 0 -W

You can toggle file extensions off if you've previously shown them to edit the file. That's all, the scrubber should remove the new field now. Steps should be similar for Mac version, though I'm unable to confirm that since I'm on Windows.

Hope this helps :)

Can the mods add this to the ITMS Srubber post under Rules & Guidelines? I'm seeing an abundance of Itunes uploads with the owner data still on it.

I also have an updated scrubber with the changed line of code on MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!vJYjQBjD!_TBBe3YWbIz0TVnSOX_RPfVHTQ7PxFpiXZ_B3qb_Xq8

Edited by colorfuljinsei

necroing this thread because I want to share my itunes purchases, however I lost my mac version of itms scrubber when I transitioned from my old Macbook to a new one and I can't find a working dl link 😕 If anyone has it and also can help me updating it I'd be thankful…