Ito

Monochrome Heaven Anime Watching Club

Ok, right now I am just bringing this up to gauge interest in this idea, so please let me know if you are interested!

Lately I have been thinking about how I really need to watch more anime, both classic stuff and modern, and this idea popped in to my head...why not start an anime club on MH? Every week we would watch 3-4 episodes of a show and come back and discuss it. I think it would be a cool way to bring more engagement in to the community as well allow us to get some good discussion going on each show we watch.

I know that it will be impossible to pick a show that everyone wants to watch...that is just something we are going to have to live with. I don't think that should be a reason not to join in on this, because if we can get a good discussion going about the show, what it does right and wrong, and take a deeper look at it, doesn't that come out as a positive in the end? Also, as I don't want to have to commit people to watching anything super longer term, we should stick to shorter shows (13 episodes and under).

I also realize that we are going to end up watching stuff that people have seen before...once again, that just can't be avoided. But even if it is a rewatch for you, I would encourage you to join in and be part of the discussion anyways!

So let me know if this is something that sounds interesting to you, as if we get enough people I will start it up!

+1 but nothing boring please, and mix it up and i think the max should be 26 ep.

How about picking a new upcoming show to watch? That way no one has to suffer through watching something they've already seen. The downside is that it either has to be a brand new show or people will have to catch up. But since I don't know much anime, I'm not opposed to either.

I had considered this, but honestly I really want to move away from that. The most recent stuff is what is going to be in the spot light the most anyways and there is always the huge hype factor and it would be nice to eliminate that. Although I really wouldn't be apposed to watching something more modern, I would at least want to wait until the show has finished completely airing, otherwise we are going to be on a show for a very long time.

Also, if we keep to the 3-4 episodes a week rule, that would make a 13 episode anime last about 3-4 weeks, which I think is a lot more appealing than spending 6-8 weeks on a 26 episode show.

i guess. what animes did you have in mind or are you waiting for more people to talk about that?

Actually a pretty interesting idea, I think the limits should be between 2 cour (two season or 26 episode) shows and shows that have already finished airing . Another idea is have you thought of doing something like an anime night where we/you/me stream an anime over a service like Ustream? Just a thought.. I know a few people who already do this with online friends and it's pretty fun to watch something at the same time with other people and discuss in a live setting.

On another note I think the live streaming could actually be something separate from this, like something we do once a month where we have a live streaming anime marathon night? And we can just marathon an anime until we're done, of course this would just be something to do for fun xD I think it could have potential to be really awesome.

Last but not least how will we decide what anime we watch for the "anime watching club"? vote? (that sounds tedious and troublesome) we could have the staff interested in doing this pick a a handful of quality shows and then have a poll? (this sounds like the best option imo)  or will it just be played by ear? (basically on a whim).

I think this would work as a podcast or a livestream, then we have people who are actually committed in participating the discussion. I wouldn't mind joining in on either one.

There's a livestream channel I follow called ShinStation where they do anime movie nights and series with live commentaries using skype. Doing something like that would be great.

Actually a pretty interesting idea, I think the limits should be between 2 cour (two season or 26 episode) shows and shows that have already finished airing . Another idea is have you thought of doing something like an anime night where we/you/me stream an anime over a service like Ustream? Just a thought.. I know a few people who already do this with online friends and it's pretty fun to watch something at the same time with other people and discuss in a live setting.

On another note I think the live streaming could actually be something separate from this, like something we do once a month where we have a live streaming anime marathon night? And we can just marathon an anime until we're done, of course this would just be something to do for fun xD I think it could have potential to be really awesome.

Last but not least how will we decide what anime we watch for the "anime watching club"? vote? (that sounds tedious and troublesome) we could have the staff interested in doing this pick a a handful of quality shows and then have a poll? (this sounds like the best option imo)  or will it just be played by ear? (basically on a whim).

Streaming sounds awesome, and I would love to give it a try, but not for this. I want this to be open for everyone to watch, and since we have people in all different time zones across the world, some people are just going to end up missing out. Maybe we could do this for a real short show in the future though. Or perhaps we could start the first week of a show this way?

And yeah, I was thinking of picking a few anime and then having it come to a vote to see what people want to want.

Yeah i was thinking the livestream thing could be something separate anyways, and what Flame said archives are your friend! :) I didn't mean for us to totally make this idea into a live streaming thing but more like on the side every once in a while we could do a stream just to test it out and see how it goes.

btw I'm more than willing to handle the live streaming half of things if that's okay with you Ito? It's something I was kinda wanting to experiment with anyways before all this talk started happening... and if someone like flame wanted to help me out with it, that would be awesome too :D

also if you need help picking a good pool of different quality shows to vote for, then feel free to hit me up... you already know I'm like a walking anime database XD

yeah but really i don't think anybody gives a shit, I've seen plenty of streamers stream and archive anime on ustream and they've never had any repercussions as far as i know... and if it does turn bad well the only one who will get shit is the streamer i'm pretty sure, so it shouldn't be a legal problem for the forum. 

Is anybody else interested in this? If so please reply here and let us know... even if it's just a simple reply saying that you would participate, it would help immensely in letting us know that there is actually a reason to make this more than just an "idea". We can make this happen but only if it's gonna be worth it.

I'm interested too, don't know how often I can do it but definitely willing to give it a go.
Throwing this out there, if we do decide to do a livestream type setup then maybe we could start with a couple of anime movies? Just to test out how everything works and how many people are actually interested in it, with no long term commitment and just and just to refine the system (this may or may not be an excuse to finish Perfect Blue if we reach on consensus on what to watch > . <)

I've not watched too many anime, but i'm definitely willing to throw some suggestions in the mix because i'm currently trying to catch up to One Piece and I have no time for longer anime. Hence everything i'm will watch now will be marathonable in a couple of nights max (then I can plan out when i'm free)

It'll also be great to have some suggestions on what to watch!

Yeah speaking of anime movies, the hunter x hunter movie just got subbed! that'd be perfect for the first stream, or maybe the gintama or steins;gate movies from earlier this year :)

Are there steins gate movies? I was thinking of giving the series a second chance but it starts too slow for me. Are the movies any better?

If we swich to animes below 10 chapters after the movies I would suggest Gunbuster. 

there is one movie that came out earlier this year. but it's technically a continuation of the tv series so there's no point in watching it if you haven't seen the series