blackdoll

Unclean vocals and none singing voices

There's only one -OZ- I know about and that vocalist can definitely do harsh vocals. Are we talking about the same band? We can't be talking about the same band.

he can do them but they are a weak ver of

or i just don't like him after hearing BTDKYAD

You're comparing gutturals to false chords/vocal fry. They're different approaches to harsh vocals designed to achieve different effects.

You're comparing gutturals to false chords/vocal fry. They're different approaches to harsh vocals designed to achieve different effects.

i guess its just me but i could have sworn there was a similarity between thier high and lows. 

better example? anyway -oz- effect is lost to me

I'm sorry blackdoll but your examples hurt my ears too much chug chug. :C I stopped listening to deathcore when i was like 16 But then again i guess my examples wouldn't be "technically" super great either.

I like some black metal and stuff too i guess but I'll keep it strictly vk for now i already mentioned Dio and unsraw and the like.

to be honest i think harsher vocals in general are usually the most subjective of all i mean is there really a right or wrong way to scream into a mic? if it sounds okay and doesn't fuck up your throat then i say its good. haha

For me personally i normally prefer when a band uses this type of vocal sparingly and when it fits the mood i can't stand to hear that for an entire song no matter how good it sounds It'll just give me a headache. While there are times i am in the mood for really angry music its definitely not at all times.

I'm sorry blackdoll but your examples aren't good and they hurt my ears :C

Chugga chugga chug chug

its cool i don't expect ppl to have my taste or way of thinking

to be honest i think harsher vocals in general are usually the most subjective of all i mean is there really a right or wrong way to scream into a mic? if it sounds okay and doesn't fuck up your throat then i say its good. haha

For me personally i normally prefer when a band uses this type of vocal sparingly and when it fits the mood i can't stand to hear that for an entire song no matter how good it sounds It'll just give me a headache. While there are times i am in the mood for really angry music its definitely not at all times.

you dont like

?

and i prefer KYOKA in

cyber mic?

can someone show me the difference between growl and false cord, like a song of each tech?

Now, I'm no expert in harsh/metal voice techniques, but this is how I see the difference between a death growl and false chords.

My understanding of false chords is that it's the techniques metalcore and deathcore vocalists use.

This is a song most people are probably familiar with. I've always thought Matt Tuck was very skilled at screaming. The "Let's go" at the beginning is an example of a false chord technique, just like the part at 0:50. 

Death growls are much more guttural sounds, especially in the case of this example. I know that Johan Hegg is one of the biggest idols to people who want to learn how to growl. I chose this song 'cause I was listening to it while typing this up, it's purely random, all of Amon Amarth's songs are pure-growls.

I might be wrong about the false chords thingy, if anyone has different knowledge, please do share. In the case of the death growl, though, you can be sure this is one of the best examples anyone could give you.

Now, I'm no expert in harsh/metal voice techniques, but this is how I see the difference between a death growl and false chords.

My understanding of false chords is that it's the techniques metalcore and deathcore vocalists use.

I might be wrong about the false chords thingy, if anyone has different knowledge, please do share. In the case of the death growl, though, you can be sure this is one of the best examples anyone could give you.

I'm not a expert either thats why i ask but, i herd false chord described like its low kinda like a growl, i guess it can be high too. but i looking for the difference in the growl-ish false chord. thanks for replying btw

False chords can be low, mid or even sorta high. So maybe the low false chord is actually a growl? Or it belongs to the false chord group?

I honestly have no idea, you could maybe send a message to SpreadLoveLikeSex on YouTube, he's a skilled screamer/singer, he could have the answer to your question.

False chords can be low, mid or even sorta high. So maybe the low false chord is actually a growl? Or it belongs to the false chord group?

I honestly have no idea, you could maybe send a message to SpreadLoveLikeSex on YouTube, he's a skilled screamer/singer, he could have the answer to your question.

thanks for info

hiro from Nb is good but i like Ice/eros better cause i find his growls more brutal (even though its not proper), and his screams are sick and can be fun. and cant take hiro seriously after vip . but it is probably just me though.

http://youtu.be/C9n1ASdnUis

http://youtu.be/_kFLEgdx0xU

yay he stared using them

For me, even though they didn't put much out, the best unclean vocals go to Gonin-Ish.  Naishikyou Sekai is a brilliant album that blends clean vocals with heavy instruments, and unclean vocals usually come in a furious buildup to the main chorus of their songs. And best of all, it's a woman who does most of the unclean vocals. You don't see that very often, especially in visual kei, seeing as it's a mostly male dominated genre. ;)

Nare no Hate by Gonin-Ish from the mini album Naishikyou Sekai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8uhpkvNq8g

^

prefer her

^

prefer her

Well, she is better in a vk sense and Byakura is really cool.  Gonin-ish is more of a progressive metal band with some vk style. A bit different, but definitely good. Along the lines of like, Inugami Circus Dan, and Sigh who they toured with.

yeah i did get that much of vk vibe. nice listen though

Gara's voice (Merry) would be considered unclean, right?

Even though he sings well in my opinion, but his type of voice is kind of "scratchy"(for the lack of a better word).

I love VK unclean vocals ´cos they are unique and they are not so controlled or limited.

but there aren´t that much bands which only sings unclean.

I appriacete vocalists who can do all kind of tricks with his/her voice.

Dio´s Mikaru has awesome voice, but he sings too much clean : D

mixing clean and unclean vocals are quite problem ´cos usually it can ruin the atmosphere.

Live gigs and records are two different things. there are lot of bands who can make awesome recordings

but their live performance is poor. or the other way round

few nice songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqfVbEG8A0A 

unclean vocaloid voice is too awesome ^.^

鬱P (Utsu-P)

this is too awesome to describe <3

I think vksters these days should seriously discard those Western metalcore/deathcore-worshipping growls/screams and favor deathrock-ish screams/wails ( a la Dir en grey's Myaku, some of Kyoka's screaming in Aliene and Kuroyume's self-titled song for instance) instead.

Because of that, most guys out there (for instance, almost every neo-vk band you posted above) end up disappointing people with horrifying results (might mention 12012's Wataru too, but DEG worship is a whole new ballgame...)

Gara's voice (Merry) would be considered unclean, right?

Even though he sings well in my opinion, but his type of voice is kind of "scratchy"(for the lack of a better word).

noo gara does scream not counting his singing

http://youtu.be/EhII7rH3wuQ

the only song name i could remember, he ca get sick

I think vksters these days should seriously discard those Western metalcore/deathcore-worshipping growls/screams and favor deathrock-ish screams/wails ( a la Dir en grey's Myaku, some of Kyoka's screaming in Aliene and Kuroyume's self-titled song for instance) instead.

Because of that, most guys out there (for instance, almost every neo-vk band you posted above) end up disappointing people with horrifying results (might mention 12012's Wataru too, but DEG worship is a whole new ballgame...)

I dont remeber any metal/deathcore vocals in modern vk, could you list a few with songs. and kyo sucks at growling its just sounds like deep air, sqealing isnt needed, screams like in Grief are ok (his best vocals period to me). 12012 guy sucks now, sudder was good.

I was just thinking, so all you people that think vk unclean sucks, do you want them to sound like this?

don't you think it would be way too overpowering? if vk made stuff with a punch, then i could see why people would complain.

edit/addon: as for outside vk, it still sucks except for the death bands like infernal revulsion and Death I Am. i guess japan is mostly "kawaii" !

Edited by blackdoll