CAT5

The OFFICIAL 'Favorite Albums of 2013' Thread

It seems like I didn't even listen to any new Japanese music besides:

THE UNRAVELING - DIR EN GREY; this EP is phenomenal just for "Unraveling" and the remake of かすみ.

i'mperfect - Ling tosite sigure – They're one of my favorite bands and never fail to deliver brilliant, quality music (pretty much indie rock with post-hardcore undertones and dual lead female/male vocalists). Make sure you listen to this album.

Butterfly Case - Cuushe; she sings and makes lovely, dreamy ambient pop music.

Fetch - Melt-Banana – I'm very glad to see this album already mentioned in this thread...quality, mature noise-punk.

I also saw toe and Melt-Banana live last year; those were both some of my favorite shows ever.

I don't have a #1 favorite album of 2013, but...

Reasons to Live - Hilly Eye; I honestly feel like this was the most underrated album of the year. It's some of the best indie rock I've heard in a long time. It was one of my most anticipated albums and it delivered way beyond my expectations... I guess it's indie with dream pop undertones and some experimental/math rock and noise rock influences. They bring Marnie Stern and Asobi Seksu (but a bit less dreamy and more indie) to mind. They're also very good live; I've seen them four times and really want to see them again but they've been so quiet...I hope they're not on hiatus. I highly suggest giving this one a listen by any means...if anything, the vocals might be an acquired taste. Listen to one of the tracks here.

Anyway, the rest of them are:

∆AIMON - ∆AIMON (dark, moody electronic music influenced by Witch House but more industrial/darkwave sounding) [Bandcamp]

Dei Dain - Aliceffekt (very experimental/IDM electronic stuff with chiptune and I guess industrial styles mixed in? it's truly innovative and the production is flawless) [Bandcamp]

Sempiternal - Bring Me the Horizon

Recursions - Cryptodira (this is a progressive death metal band from nearby) [Bandcamp]

Acceptance Speech - Dance Gavin Dance

Government Plates - Death Grips

Black Earth Child - Disfiguring the Goddess

Evolution of Violence - Eat a Helicopter (these guys are keeping deathcore fresh) [Bandcamp]

Rudiments of Mutilation - Full of Hell (powerviolence/hardcore punk; this is some scary stuff) [Bandcamp]

The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2) - Jolly (progressive/art rock from my city) [very cool music video]

Helium Head - Mutoid Man (stoner rock/post-hardcore/mathcore formed by Stephen Brodsky of Cave In and Ben Koller of Converge and All Pigs Must Die) [stream]

Pelagial - The Ocean

Renacer - Senses Fail

Altered State - TesseracT

Live in Reykjavík, Iceland - This Will Destroy You (beautiful live album)

Tidal Arms - Tidal Arms (another band from my city making some of the most creative rock music today) [Bandcamp]

Yeezus - Kanye West