CAT5

The OFFICIAL 'Favorite Albums of 2013' Thread

There has been an incomprehensible amount of music released this year both in Japan and abroad. Here is your opportunity to share which albums you've enjoyed most! Let everyone know! Not only am I interested, but I'm sure the rest of MH is as well! Japanese and/or Non-Japanese - it doesn't matter. Let us know which albums you vibed with the most this year. : )

I'll write reviews to my list later (when I'm not burried in schoolwork), but here's an initial list of full albums that I enjoyed:

Japanese

AI - MORIAGARO (pretty standard pop-album, but AI's voice makes it just a little different. VOICE is what pop music should be)

Boris - Präparat (Boris going back to good old droning after a couple of experimental albums. The result is great, with Bataille de Sucre being the gem on this album)

cinema staff - 望郷 (not their best stuff imo, but still very enjoyable. I just love cinema staff's vocals, they're great)

downy - 第五作品集『無題』(I only recently discovered them through CAT5 so all I can say that this album is great?)

LAGITAGIDA - TUTELA!! (instrumental album from the new band of school food punishment's ex-keyboard. This wasn't what I expected when this band started out, but I'm all glad that they chose to do what they are doing now. This album is structured, yet all over the place and it just WORKS)

LEO今井 - Made from Nothing (only got into this guy about a month ago, but this is probably my favourite album of the year. The first two tracks are a bit delusive of how the actual album works, but all in all it's such a great album that I can forgive that part)

M-Koda - Generating Arrow Diagram (ambient electronics that really aren't for everyone, and also not for any time. You need to be in the mood for this kind of stuff. If you're into it, this is simply a magnificent album. Abyss is probably the best song off the record and is haunting yet relaxing. This guy gets better with every album)

NICO Touches the Walls - Shout to the Walls! (I already reviewed this one in the staff list, so you can go read my review there)

ONE OK ROCK - 人生x僕= (not OOR's best album, but enjoyable enough to make the list. Plenty of catchy tracks, a couple of nice ballads, not too complicated. It's nothing groundbreaking, yet it's OOR's most mature album yet)

Vegpher - PLUS (also electronics, though a lot less ambient that M-Koda. It took me a while to get into it, and towards the end it has the tendency to get a bit boring (due too the track lengths in the middle, most tracks are over 5 minutes long), but overall it's still a very sollid record)

アルカラ - むにむにの樹 (basically this also made my list of favourite releases, yet I don't think this is Arukara's best release. It's a bit weak compared to Drama and BOY NEXT DOOR, but it has a couple of nice tracks that I can't just disregard)

凛として時雨 - i'mperfect (really? It's Rin Toshite Shigure, end of review)

Non-Japanese

Brian Tyler - Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag OST (I'm a sucker for folk elements and good game OSTs. Brian Tyler combines both in his OST for the new Assassin's Creed game. Even though the game hasn't been my favourite of the series so far, the OST is probably the best OST AC had so far, on the same level on Lorne Balfe's work for AC3)

EXO - XOXO/Growl (debut album by Korean boy band EXO. Great amount of catchy tracks and fun songs, just give it a spin)

f(x) - Pink Tape (SM Entertainment nailed stuff so hard this year jfc f(x)' album was as flawless as EXO's album. Probably the best f(x) release so far)

G-Dragon - Coup D'Etat (preferred it over Heartbreaker. Not my favourite K-pop album of the year, but good enough to be included on the list. GD knows how to write non-catchy pop songs and still make them work).

Girls' Generation - Love & Peace (my flawless queens are back in Japan, which means it's time to kick ass and bitchslap everyone off the charts with another amazing Japanese album. And they did. Idk what's going on here but can GG just stay in Japan and release everything there because it's just so much better than their Korean stuff)

Rhian Sheehan - Stories from Elsewhere (one of the few non-Korean albums on this list, lol. Completely instrumental album, basically a giant OST, but one for the world. Rhian Sheehan writes his compositions on places he's been to, which makes this an incredible experience)

SHINee - BOYS MEET U (SHINee released 3 albums and a mini-album this year, what have you been doing. Their Japanese album BOYS MEET U is a lot better than their previous Japanese album and is filled with catchy tracks, original content, and all ballads are actually really interesting for once)

SHINee - Dream Girl - the misconceptions of you - (not as good as BOYS MEET U imo but Spoiler is such a great song that I couldn't leave this album out. Dream Girl is typical SHINee, better than Why So Serious imo)

For now, I'll just make a list. Later, I'll edit with cover art and short review for the top ones I really liked the most, and take out the ones that were just good:

Japanese: 

DIV- Zero One

Girugamesh- MONSTER

Coldrain- The Revelation

Jupiter- CLASSICAL ELEMENT

NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST- GRIMOIRE

ONE OK ROCK- Jinsei Boku

Rin Toshite Shigure- I'mperfect

SiM- PANDORA

MIYAVI- MIYAVI

9GOATS BLACK OUT- ARCHIVES

Non-Japanese:

TesseracT- Altered State

Scale the Summit- Migration

Sapphires- Carriers

Protest The Hero- Volition

Polyphia- Inspire

Parkway Drive- Atlas

Letlive.- THe Blackest Beautiful

Leprous- Coal

Humanity's Last Breath- Self-titled

Heaven SHall Burn- Veto

Hands Like Houses- Unimagine

Erra- Augment

David Maxim Micic- Bilo 3.0

Breakdown of Sanity- Perception

Akeldama- Everything Beautiful

Short list is short:

Japanese:

Capsule - CAPS LOCK

DIR EN GREY - THE UNRAVELING

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nanda Collection

SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS - CIRCLES

Towa Tei - Lucky

Perfume - Level3

Non-Japanese:

Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals

A$AP ROCKY - LONG.LIVE.A$AP

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels

There are too many runner-ups/"close but not cigar" releases tbqh.

jap

the god and death stars - dawn of the god
凛として時雨 - i'mperfect
小南泰葉 - キメラ

non-jap

Beastmilk - Climax
A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP
Kvelertak - Meir
letlive. - The Blackest Beautiful
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer

Albums released in 2013? well...I think Kaya's GOTHIC is not bad

My non-japanese favourite album is The coming ones (international version) by Sa Dingding

I'll make a more comprehensive list later, but off the top of my head I have as follows:

Jupiter - Classical Element

AFI - Burials (Album of the year for me thus far)

Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals

Grieva - Oni to Kage

Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome -  狡猾なる混沌の仔と至極たる黎明に捧ぐ葬斂の劇詩

Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

I've come to love a lot of other albums this year as well, but they weren't actually released in 2013. This thread is always hard for me because it takes me a long time to really appreciate something.

Japanese:

ALSDEAD – Separator

the GazettE – BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY
Jupiter – CLASSICAL ELEMENT
NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST – GRIMOIRE
ONE OK ROCK – 人生×君=
Sadie – MADRIGAL de MARIA
Sujk – ARKHELISM 2
ギルガメッシュ – MONSTER
マキシマム ザ ホルモン – 予襲復讐
雅-MIYAVI-  – MIYAVI

Non-Japanese:
Arctic Monkeys – AM
Area 11 – All The Lights In The Sky
Breakdown of Sanity – Perception
Bring Me the Horizon – Sempiternal
SingerSen – The world in my eyes

Might add non-Japanese later. These days I don't listen to a lot of it.

Edit: Updated at last. I'm counting full length albums here only - there's been a ton of great minis this year too.

I have long list, because I enjoyed much albums this year!

Full album
-PF AUDIO- - The storyteller of sound
八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 0088
downy - 第五作品集『無題』
Ling Tosite Sigure - i'mperfect
NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST - GRIMOIRE
Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome - 狡猾なる混沌の仔と至极たる黎明に捧ぐ葬敛の剧诗
BIGMAMA - 君想う、故に我在り
青葉市子 - 0
Cyclamen - Ashura
Pay money To my Pain - gene
Maaya Sakamoto - Singer Songwriter
[Champagne] - Me No Do Karate.
Yanagi Nagi - Euaru
Melt-Banana - Fetch
MergingMoon - Kamikakushi
Tetra Edge - Asymmetry
Furhter Ahead Of Warp - The Never Ending Story
Vassline - Black Silence (korean)
Noeazy - Land of Abomination (Korean)

Mini Album
A Ghost Of Flare - Kodou
NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST - OMEGA
宇宙コンビニ - 染まる音を確認したら
Lost in the Fog - アインズヴァッハの墓
a crowd of rebellion - Zygomycota
Translations - STORM CHASER
Tam Tam - Polarize
木と魚 - 星と命の森
レトクオリア -  Little Sign
Another Story - Signs
Tokyo Shoegazer - Turnaround
Another Stream - Future Tantric Engraved 

The Twisted Harbor Town - ENCOUNTERS

will update the list until 2013 ends, because there are albums that I looking forward in the end of year

My favorites are, in no particular order:

阿部芙蓉美 - How To Live

Kojoe - 51st State

Nayuta - Miraklo Rakonto

downy - 第五作品集『無題』

Local Natives - Hummingbird

LAGITAGIDA - Tutela!!

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 0088

The Novembers - zeitgeist

Moving Mountains - Moving Mountains

승리 - Let's Talk About Love

The Internet - Feel Good

The Novembers - Fourth Wall

Yuck - Glow and Behold

LEO今井 - Made from nothing

Köttur - トマト帽のベレー

SHIZUKA KANATA - Snow

EXO - XOXO/Growl

miss A - Hush

Jinmenusagi - ME2!

Nell - Escaping Gravity

Block B - Very Good

Norikazu Chiba - The Songs of the Circling Stars

f(x) - Pink Tape

That's all I can think of... might add some more releases as I still have plenty of music queueing up in my playlist. 2013 has been amazing so far, so many discoveries!

downy - 第五作品集『無題』

KANA-BOON - DOPPEL

きのこ帝国 - ロンググッドバイ

cinema staff - 望郷

LITE - installation

Galileo Galilei - ALARMS

OVUM - ascension

65daysofstatic - wild light

This Town Needs Guns - 13​.​0​.​0​.​0​.​0

Japanese:

Grieva - Oni to kage

Already wrote extensively about it in the staff reviews. A nice nostalgic throw-back with a fresh spin on it.

GAUZES - Yurikago

Kinda like above, except they definetely can improve more. A good album, but could have needed more highlights.

Jupiter - Classical Element

I admit that I'm a secret Kamijo fangirl and I think that this album didn't reach Versailles' best moments, but it was a worthwhile album in any case.

Dear L'Novel  - Ai to Shi

I'm pretty sure I got cavaties after listening to this. But it's so Larein-ish, I just can't resist.

Nakano Aya - Hetana uso

Not as good as her previous album, but a good and relaxing listen nevertheless.

amber gris - Around Children

As written in my staff review. No masterpieve, but a very solid and plesant pop-rock album.

Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum

Very atmospheric and intense, a good listen - if you are in the mood for that.

Non-Japanese:

Tyr - Valkyrja

Oh my god so many good melodies I can't

Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods

I would put it here just for the epicness that is "Blood Eagle".

Turisas - Turisas2103

Is it really really cheesy? It sure is. Is it more poppy and less folky then previous stuff? I guess so. Is it ridicilously catchy and much fun to sing and shout along to? HELL YEAH!

Kauan - Pirut

My copy hasn't arrived so far, so I had to make do with the streamed version. But what can I say? A fucking masterpiece.

Vali - Skogslandskap

Really surprised to see this, almost 10 years after their first album. It's really hard to match up to "Forlatt" (and I think they didn't quite archive it), but it's still a really really really nice folk album.

The Monolith Deathcult - Tetragrammaton

Because RWAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!.... I guess.

Wardruna - Yggdrasil

Nice ambient tribal-y stuff.

Suede - Bloodsports

Suede are my undying teenage music love. Their post-reunion stuff isn't really as good as some of their 90s stuff, but they still manage tio shine every once in a while.

Also worth mentioning:

Ancient Wisdom - Deathlike

Manegarm - Legions of the North

Ereb Altor - Fire Meets Ice

Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy

凛として時雨 - i'mperfect

downy - 第五作品集『無題』

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - 0088

The Novembers - zeitgeist

LEO今井 - Made from nothing

Protest The Hero- Volition

SEX-ANDROID - ギャクシンセサイザー! !

Shilfee & Tulipcorobockles - The Right Are Each Other

Shilfee & Tulipcorobockles - Kiri Rearrange E.P.

実験台モルモット - 見開キ こころ❤断面図

kamomekamome - BEDSIDE DONORS

GalapagosS - Run like fury

CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe

the unknown forecast - オークション

Perfume - LEVEL3

are the first ones that come to mind.

Besides bolded/italicized (favorites) and the not-so-bold/italicized (honorable mentions), there's no particular order.  Click on each release for a sample!

Japanese:

ねごと (NEGOTO) - 5

Fun synth/keyboard-led indie pop-rock. This group of girls shows how to be a major-label band, while not sacrificing their identity/sound.

The Acid House. - The Acid House
Wonky, psychedelic and acoustic guitar songs sung by the weird genius behind 踊ってばかりの国 (odotte bakari no kuni).

Jupiter - CLASSICAL ELEMENT
The best thing from the Versailles crew since Jubilee.

Tam Tam - Polarize
Reggae/dub not your thing? Doesn't matter. You still might enjoy Tam Tam, because they put such a new spin on it!

DIV - ZERO ONE
Shocked at how good this album is, considering their singles are very hit/miss for me!  A really solid alternative/pop-rock album.

THE NOVEMBERS - zeitgeist
They experiment with a darker sound that is a major departure for them.  They pull it off quite well, though I still find myself preferring their "dreamier" sound, such as the one in the sample.

ドレスコーズ (the dresscodes) - bande dessinée
This band seems like the brother of THE BOHEMIANS, though I think the dresscodes have slightly more interesting compositions! Nostalgic, fun rock!

カルペディエム (Carpe diem) - Carpe diem
Another surprise release for me. This band seemed to come from nowhere and they delivered a solid debut!  The vocalist is exaggerated in a good way (imo).

Hotel Mexico - Her Decorated Post Love
Second and final (mini-)album from the now-defunct indie pop/chillwave-y group.  Massive improvement shown on this release... They will be missed!

宇宙コンビニ (uchuu konbini) - 染まる音を確認したら
If something like Haisuinonasa is TOO mathtastic for your brain, give this band a try.  They have almost a perfect balance of mathy tendencies with beautifully catchy pop melodies, all topped with some serene female vocals.

Moran - jen:ga
I don't know if they'll ever return to the awesome shoegaze-y sound that their former guitarist Velo provided, but Moran's first full-album is a very solid effort nonetheless.  Not many VK bands have a sound like this.

Non-Japanese:

Sister Crystals - Sister Crystals LP
A great shoegaze/dream pop release from a fairly unknown band.  Lush music and beautiful vocals!

Camera Obscura - Desire Lines
5th album from the veterans of indie pop.  It doesn't tread much new ground, but they sound just as lovely and longing as ever.

Rose Elinor Dougall - Future Vanishes EP
Rose's follow-up to her great debut album.  In just a few years, her sound has matured and gotten so much more interesting.  If this is any indication of what's in store for her second album (hopefully slated for 2014), then I'm psyched.

Department M - Department M
Department M is the solo project of former GRAMMATICS frontman Owen Brinley.  While his angelic vocals still shine here, the music takes a completely new direction.  This time, he's traded in the intricate guitar work for gloomy, yet punchy, retro electronic sounds.  The atmosphere of the music video in the link is spot on with the music.

네미시스 (Nemesis) - Dream
My go-to Korean band releases "part 2" of their third album, which also happens to be their most diverse-sounding release.  Well done!

Lanterns on the Lake - Until the Colours Run
Shamelessly lifted from Cat's AOTY list, haha. This is a GORGEOUS release.  Very cinematic, orchestral dream pop.  A fantastic album!

Lorde - Pure Heroine
Forget the hype about "Royals" (honestly, my least favorite track of the album).  Here is an amazingly confident debut album from the now famous 16 year old from New Zealand.

Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
Psychedelic "occult rock" fronted by vocalist/guitarist Rosalie Cunningham, formerly of Ipso Facto.  Her deep voice commands our attention.  A fantastic debut album from a band that will hopefully be around for a while.

Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
Is it as good as The Archandroid? Sadly, no... But it's still a fantastic album.  Besides the cheesy "radio interludes," we have another large collection of songs further expanding on Monae's unique and grandiose brand of sleek sci-fi-tastic pop music.

The Internet - Feel Good
Introduced to me by greeeeen, this is SO relaxing.  It has the similar kind of retro, chill atmosphere (with great vocals) as the group "The Bird and the Bee," though the former is more pop-inspired, while The Internet is more r&b/funk.  Just ignore the fact that this duo has anything to do with the Odd Future gang and chilllllll the fuck out with these smooth tunes!

Wampire - Curiosity
Some great new blood in the American indie pop scene with some psychedelic and other unique influences.  The song provided in the link has a great "lo-fi" organ intro that would be at home with any "gothic" VK band from the 90s, haha.

Kacey Johansing - Grand Ghosts
I found out about this singer/songwriter via CAT5 and was pleasantly surprised by her album.  Atypical female vox over beautiful chamber pop-type stuff.

Heavy Hawaii - Goosebumps
I still stand by how I initially described this band: "Think hazy, surf music interpreted through the lens of a nightmare carnival.  From vocal pitch shifts and a generally creepy, yet engrossing atmosphere, this album exhibits all kinds of fuckery."

Slow Hello - Audio Baby
A Filipino band I discovered this year.  Slow Hello started as the solo-project of singer-songwriter Selena Salang.  Now with a full band, the group delivers mellow 80’s-inspired indie pop, perfect for hazy summer days.  This style of guitar is perfucktion.  While some bands in this genre go way too “cutesy” with the lyrics, I think Salang keeps it fairly interesting and introspective.  The music video for “You Know It’s You” (my fave song) is also adorable by the way.  You can check out the band’s 2013 album “Audio Baby” on Bandcamp or Spotify.

You JUST HAVE to listen to downy, fitear, it's a fantastic album.

I haven't really gotten through the god and death stars yet, I'm not sure if it has to grow on me though. What would you guys dub as their greatest release?

addle apple is best. if you can't get into that one, you probably won't like any of aie's things tbh.. most of his bands sound sort of similar.

Japanese:

• Jupiter - Classical element
  • Sujk - Arkhelism 2
  • 12012 - the Swan
  • the god and death stars - dawn of the god
  • Girugamesh - Monster
  • Maximum the Hormone - alrdy forgot their album name

Non-Jap:

• Black Sabath - 13
  • Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Hey, CAT. What's your favorites? I'm expecting your reply, and Zess' as well.

Also, seconding Dylan on which the god and death stars release is the best. The others need some more time for me to process, whilst addle apple is an instant love.

japanese

Lycaon - masochist red circus

avelcain - Jiseki no mushiro 2nd press (havnt herd 3rd)

Tommy heavenly6 - TOMMY ICE CREAM HEAVEN FOREVER

none japanese

A Thousand Years Of Plagues - DÆMON

fleshgod apocalypse - labyrinth

i drink my coffee - I'm a miner

also liked surprisingly

screw - screw

avidit. - amoeba

Black Gene For The Next Scene - Dance to Rave ~Nounai shake na Song tachi~

ARTEMA - ARTEMA

editing my list - for the last time, I promise.

Japanese:

Capsule - CAPS LOCK

THE NOVEMBERS - Zeitgeist

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - なんだこれくしょん

SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS - CIRCLES

Towa Tei - Lucky

Perfume - Level3

geek sleep sheep - Nightporter

Downy  - 第五作品集『無題』

Möscow Çlub - Station M.C.Ç.B.

Tam Tam - Polarize