Ito

25 Days of MH-mas Discussion Thread

I actually liked Exodus after a few listens. Lynch. has always been hit-or-miss with me, and I rarely ever like a whole release by them. I really liked their A GLEAM IN EYE single, and it kind of seems like they've been reusing elements of both songs featured on that single quite often. They've had a similar style since that release, Exodus included. My favorite track from the single being the title track: it took a typical heavy lynch song like "Tiamat" and added a cool melodic twist to it. Oddly enough, one of my other favorite lynch. songs is 'vernie,' so I guess I like their short intros the most.

Is Exodus EP revolutionary in any  way though? Nope! But sometimes that's okay for me: I'm more than content with lynch.'s same-ness. However, because of that I don't consider their mini-album to in the top releases for this year so much as just a good one. 

I'm surprised to see the praise of Boris' "Präparat". By far their weakest work to date IMO, and, surprisingly enough, a really poor album. I'm a massive Boris fan, but "Präparat" just sounds unfocused. It's like they realised they had plenty of leftover riffs from the very begining of the band and decided to just put everything together no matter what genre, and then decided to release it. There's not a red thread in here or anything. Nothing flows naturally. Meh, this is the only Boris release I would not like to own.

Tbqh Praparat isn't my favourite release of theirs either, but I still really much enjoyed it. They played two of the new songs live a few months before the release of the album (I was there) and I have to say I enjoyed them live better than on vinyl.

I actually liked Exodus after a few listens. Lynch. has always been hit-or-miss with me, and I rarely ever like a whole release by them. I really liked their A GLEAM IN EYE single, and it kind of seems like they've been reusing elements of both songs featured on that single quite often. They've had a similar style since that release, Exodus included. My favorite track from the single being the title track: it took a typical heavy lynch song like "Tiamat" and added a cool melodic twist to it. Oddly enough, one of my other favorite lynch. songs is 'vernie,' so I guess I like their short intros the most.

Is Exodus EP revolutionary in any  way though? Nope! But sometimes that's okay for me: I'm more than content with lynch.'s same-ness. However, because of that I don't consider their mini-album to in the top releases for this year so much as just a good one. 

I very much agree. lynch. seems like they pull from their best songs a lot there days, wish is good, but it ends up with a lot of that same-ness. I don't think it would have included it in my best of if I had non-Japanese releases...but honestly I still think it is a really solid release and I had no problems voting for it.

Tbqh Praparat isn't my favourite release of theirs either, but I still really much enjoyed it. They played two of the new songs live a few months before the release of the album (I was there) and I have to say I enjoyed them live better than on vinyl.

For sure. I didn't vote for Praparat, but I still found it a very enjoyable release, but hardly Boris's best. It does come off and feeling very disjointed though and that is one of it's largest weaknesses.

I can't believe jinsei x boku included in the list LOL, seriously it is their weakest album in my opinion. I can't feel their true spirit in every song, and too many slow song!

and 88 kasyo junrei's album 0088 is a masterpiece, couldn't agree more

Day 25 - 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure) - i’mperfect posted!

Thanks everyone who has followed this every day! I would love to hear your feedback as to how you liked it!

All the downy hype and they didn't make the list??!  Or am I blind?

(I still have yet to listen to the album myself, haha.  I will on my long train ride tomorrow!)

I'm definitely planning to check out a few of these that I otherwise would never have gotten around to listening to.

downy's album was released after the deadline we'd been given by Ito to post our votes, so there wasn't a possibility for us to submit it to our lists (or it certainly would've made the list! afaik at least 3 of us loved the album).

Yeah, that downy album came out literally the day that I schedules the the lists to be due. I know Cat put it on his, but I just didn't have the time with it to really make that last minute decision. You will have to wait for personal lists to see if it makes it on any of those lol.

Wrapping up the last few days...

Boris - You can never go wrong with Boris

M-Koda - I loved Drawing Arrow Diagram. It's one of my fav electronic albums of 2013. Glad to see it made it on the list.

Nocturnal Bloodlust - Grimoire was great, even though I liked their other 2013 releases better. Still, Nocturnal Bloodlust is one of the only Japanese bands that does the core genre any justice. They have the creativity, technicality and brutality so many other wannabe core vk bands lack. 

Ling Tosite Sigure - Good to see I'mperfect didn't get overlooked either. Fantastic album. This should make an appearance on everyone's list.

Overall I highly enjoyed this 25 days of xmas music review stint. I have yet to check out all the bands but I already have discovered quite a few jems. I know lists can subjective for everyone, but I agree with 98% of the bands that were chosen for this. The staff reviews were also fun to read. So to everyone involved in this I will say good job. :thumbs:

Glad GRIMOIRE is in the list, I like this album too, I have been listening to them before they debuted in VK, and they still play the same style like before, although several song is a bit too VK-ish, but I am OK, the mixed between deathcore and easy listening VK music make them unique!

I like LAGITAGIDA when they release CartaMarina, but I don't know their full album is lack of something, don't know for sure, sounds like they have more neat sound production in TUTELA, the guitar sound is not wild like in CartaMarina does

i’mperfect is in my list too, I enjoy much :)

Well the concept of this review is great, but it has weakness, you cannot include the album that released in the end of the year. If the concept is to countdown the end of 2013, it will be more interesting :D