Ito

25 Days of MH-mas! The Staff Album Picks of 2013.

Day 25 - 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure) - i’mperfect

wY7S6FI.jpg

Release Date: 2013-04-10

Label: Sony Music Associated Records Inc.

Genre: Alternative/Indie/Post-Hardcore

Zess's take

For me, Ling Toshite Sigure has always been a band about finding the beauty in the imperfect, undesirable aspects of music. Shrill female vocals barely harmonizing over nasally male vocals wouldn't be anyone's first definition of perfect vocals for any style of music, and yet it works here. Prominent bass and frantic drums behind that vocal style also wouldn't be anyone's go-to pairing either. But the band makes it work, and they do much more than that - they've made it their sound and they've taken it places no other band has. They made the loud louder, the aggressive more aggressive, and the punk punkier, but all in equal parts. i'mperfect is a distillation of all the previous efforts of the band into the loudest, rawest, most focused effort yet. From jump, the album starts out with a bang that leave all second-rate copy bands with slacked jaws.

This is very relevant for this trio, as they've plenty of copycats. While bands like HaKU get close, there's something about listening to the original that's so much more satisfying. Ling Toshite Shigure sticks to their guns and delivers the same basic package in a new outfit each and every time, but it's always different enough to not be more than a rehash of already touched material. Indeed, the excellence of Ling is the elements you can always count on being present, but it's never been presented with such vigor before. I'm positive that this is Ling's best effort yet, and I think they do too. Just look at the name.

CAT5's take

I first encountered rin toshite shigure way back in 2007 during the release of their second album "Inspiration is DEAD". Japanese indie fans were raving about this release so I decided to see what all of the hype was about. It took me a while to comprehend their sound, but I eventually came to appreciate and understand why that album was widely acclaimed as one of the best that year. Ever since then, I've witnessed rin toshite claim spots on best-of lists with the release of each new album. Interestingly, the scope of the band's sound isn't that diverse, but they produce a type of rock that can't be easily mimicked - and with such a scarce style, fans are always ecstatic to get their next fix. "i'mperfect" is the band's purest product since "Inspiration is DEAD", whereas the 2 albums inbetween ("just A moment" and "still a Sigure virgin?") were heavily diluted with TK's experimental proclivities. Now that TK has begun his solo project (which he likely reserves his eccentricities for), rin toshite have returned to playing a more straightfoward version of themselves. With the band taking such a forthright approach on this album, "i'mperfect" might seem overwhelming at first, but it's more than worth taking the time to wrap your head around. It's a powerful album in which each track is equally as powerful on it's own.

Ito's take

Sigure is a fantastic band for sure, and I am not about to other argue otherwise. i'mperfect improves a lot upon their last release...but there is still one problem that remains in the glaring forefront, and I am sure that I will catch some flak for saying this, but TK is not a good vocalist. In fact, I would go as far to say that he is borderline bad. When he isn't singing at a low volume, TK sounds constantly strained, like he is forcing the notes out of his throat. Mix this with one of the most awkward falsetto's and I am just overwhelmingly turned off. Perhaps I am missing something, but factor overwhelms how amazing the instrumental are and completely ruins the album. Sorry to be the bummer on our Christmas final pick, but I am just calling it how my ears hear it.

Sample song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bidjDCQH1ck

Buy the album:

CD Japan | YesAsia | iTunes | Amazon