Zeus

ANIME TRASH TALK THREAD

Man, I've watched several anime lately that just were so poor that I couldn't even get past the first episode of them. Ranked from terrible to worst.

Rokka - "Oh hey, I'm a badass!" No you aren't, you are just obnoxious and OP. So much rule of cool with not enough substance to feed a starving orphan.

God Eater - If you look at still frames, it's quite lovely. Too bad the it doesn't really hold up that well in the animation. All of that said, it's the piss poor story and pacing that kills it. Like I don't even understand the pacing, it's all together way too fast and makes -no- sense.

Knights of Sidonia - I understand that this is the pilot episode BUT I have no idea how anyone would have approved this show after watching this utter trash. The writers wouldn't know tone if they were swimming in an ocean of it. The character are bad - from their designs to their interactions. The animation is crap 3D. The music is....wait, did they forget to put the music in this show? Like seriously? Even if the plot was decent, it would be too late to save this show, but never fear, that too is also a pile of steaming crap.

And MAL has their average ratings at 7.7, 7.3, and 7.9 respectively. Unless these all have bigger surprises that Jesus rising from the grave, then then holy shit people must think that having a brain aneurysms is like at least a 6 out of 10.

Man, I've watched several anime lately that just were so poor that I couldn't even get past the first episode of them. Ranked from terrible to worst.

Rokka - "Oh hey, I'm a badass!" No you aren't, you are just obnoxious and OP. So much rule of cool with not enough substance to feed a starving orphan.

God Eater - If you look at still frames, it's quite lovely. Too bad the it doesn't really hold up that well in the animation. All of that said, it's the piss poor story and pacing that kills it. Like I don't even understand the pacing, it's all together way too fast and makes -no- sense.

Knights of Sidonia - I understand that this is the pilot episode BUT I have no idea how anyone would have approved this show after watching this utter trash. The writers wouldn't know tone if they were swimming in an ocean of it. The character are bad - from their designs to their interactions. The animation is crap 3D. The music is....wait, did they forget to put the music in this show? Like seriously? Even if the plot was decent, it would be too late to save this show, but never fear, that too is also a pile of steaming crap.

And MAL has their average ratings at 7.7, 7.3, and 7.9 respectively. Unless these all have bigger surprises that Jesus rising from the grave, then then holy shit people must think that having a brain aneurysms is like at least a 6 out of 10.

Shouldn't judge a book by it's it's cover Ito, at least both Rokka and Sidonia get a lot better later on imo and should not be judged by their first episodes alone, especially Sidonia... God Eater I would have to agree though, overall horrible pacing, which is a shame since I was looking foward to it... :( well at least the art is pretty.

Shouldn't judge a book by it's it's cover Ito, at least both Rokka and Sidonia get a lot better later on imo and should not be judged by their first episodes alone, especially Sidonia... God Eater I would have to agree though, overall horrible pacing, which is a shame since I was looking foward to it... :( well at least the art is pretty.

Same, God Eater is a mess with a nice moment here and there. Rokka was fun at least though the story itself got me annoyed near the end. Loved the first season of Sidonia though.

You can't really judge a series by its first episode. Classroom Crisis is a perfect example of that. The first three episodes were so boring I nearly dropped it but because of a friend I kept watching anyway. Glad I did.

It would be one thing if I thought they were mediocre. I though that these were down right bad. Rokka was bad - Sidonia was seriously awful. And this is the trash talk thread, dammit XD

Normally I do 3 episodes to see if it gets better, but man there has to be at least something there first to me to have the least bit of interest or promise for me to want to continue.

It would be one thing if I thought they were mediocre. I though that these were down right bad. Rokka was bad - Sidonia was seriously awful. And this is the trash talk thread, dammit XD

Normally I do 3 episodes to see if it gets better, but man there has to be at least something there first to me to have the least bit of interest or promise for me to want to continue.

Rokka got worse down the road imo, but Sidonia... I ended up loving it so much that I read the manga as well. 

Talk trash all you want but at least give shows a chance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How much does Sidnoia change? I talked to a couple friends who really liked it but they didn't say anything that made me want to keep watching at all. Maybe the better question would be did you think the first episode was awful?

How much does Sidnoia change? I talked to a couple friends who really liked it but they didn't say anything that made me want to keep watching at all. Maybe the better question would be did you think the first episode was awful?

You're asking that to people who've most likely watched the second season as well. It's been a while.

I don't remember much of the first episode other than that Nagate was a kid who grew up without other people around (and is kind of socially awkward because of that) but somehow made it to the "surface". It gave the base for his character but everything after is different imo. The fights, the guana, the weird stuff happening.

You're asking that to people who've most likely watched the second season as well. It's been a while.

I don't remember much of the first episode other than that Nagate was a kid who grew up without other people around (and is kind of socially awkward because of that) but somehow made it to the "surface". It gave the base for his character but everything after is different imo. The fights, the guana, the weird stuff happening.

I agree that you can't judge an anime by its cover/first episode but Knights of Sidonia is one of the few exceptions. It's the kind of show where you will either like it or hate it from the beginning. I got halfway through the second season waiting for the plot to deepen immensely before I realized it wasn't going to happen. The whole set up is hit and miss with some people. I can only watch humanity "barely survive against an enemy we're totally outclassed against" shtick for too long before I get bored. Plus, I don't feel like there's a very good overall objective, or at least one good enough to keep my interest. Where are they going? How will they be safe? How did they not run out of resources yet? Does anyone really care about Tanikaze?

Also, how do you have a rock with a giant fucking gun on it floating through space that's approximately the size of Manhattan and not have every single inch of that rock on watch?

Ito, on 19 Nov 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Let's be ultra real for a second guys: the average anime is pretty fuckin terrible. They literally churn them out in droves per season in varying amounts of quality so it's bound to happen. The average anime viewer watches average anime so anything more than that looks absolutely amazing. In reality, I find myself in opposition to my anime watching friends when I point out flaws in the anime and they just roll their eyes and try to argue back. It can end in one of several ways but my points of contention are more QC than anything. I absolutely detest how the average anime confuses writing a mystery with not telling the viewer the story (aka Concrete Revolution, Gunslinger Stratos, Paranoia Agent, etc), or has pacing so terrible the last four episodes are where all the good action is (and should be where the anime starts aka Charlotte, Freezing, etc), or sometimes just forgets to fill in holes and then things conveniently happen just because (BLACK MOTHERFUCKIN BULLET, the last episode of Kekkai Sensen (although this is probably due to the 3+ month break between episodes)). I pay attention to no ratings on that website at all.

I can't even tell you how many piss poor anime I've dropped in the last three seasons. One of my other friends who just got on the anime wave said that Owari no Seraph was better than Attack on Titan. I know people have been sipping on the AoT koolaid for a while but in comparison to that show, Owari no Seraph is a turd. That's not to say that Attack on Titan is bad - it's decent to good at its worst - or even that Owari no Seraph is bad (it's not but could be way better) but AoT is just the "standard" for anime. And that's kinda sad since I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT'S IN THE FUCKING BASEMENT!

Having said that, Rokka is a passable mystery (as in you know what's happening but not what's going to happen) with some action on the side. God Eater is just plain terrible.

I just finished Rokka a few days ago.

My final impressions can be read here. https://erosgrante.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/rokka-braves-of-the-six-flowers/

I pretty much agree with your views, Rokka wasn't amazing but I did find it interesting at least. I Would definitely watch a second season if it ever comes to fruition just to see where it goes after the whole situation got resolved at the end of the first season. The show definitely feels like it barely got started main plot wise and then the season just ended... Could of been really interesting if it was a 2cour and continued further.

P.S. Flamy FTW <3

I pretty much agree with your views, Rokka wasn't amazing but I did find it interesting at least. I Would definitely watch a second season if it ever comes to fruition just to see where it goes after the whole situation got resolved at the end of the first season. The show definitely feels like it barely got started main plot wise and then the season just ended... Could of been really interesting if it was a 2cour and continued further.

P.S. Flamy FTW <3

I would love if the plots happened simultaneously. As in they're fighting demons and saving the world while trying to figure out which one of them is the fake. It would have been more interesting storywise if it took that direction. Altogether I felt like it came to a complete halt for a problem that wasn't really all that important. I figured out who it was by episode 5.

Let's be ultra real for a second guys: the average anime is pretty fuckin terrible. They literally churn them out in droves per season in varying amounts of quality so it's bound to happen. The average anime viewer watches average anime so anything more than that looks absolutely amazing. In reality, I find myself in opposition to my anime watching friends when I point out flaws in the anime and they just roll their eyes and try to argue back. 

Bravo, sir, bravo

I started watching Kuroko no basuke this year, and I've made it to about half way into the 3rd season. It's the first sports anime I've ever watched, and I can't really complain overall, as the show has been pretty enjoyable throughout. I suppose this isn't really trash-talk as much as it is just me nitpicking, but I think they REALLY dropped the ball with the character designs. Almost everyone, male and female, have the same face shapes, with the only real differences lying in the subtleties of the eyes, eyebrows, and hair. In fact, it took me a long time to familiarize myself with all of the supporting characters outside of the generation of miracles because so many of them look alike! Maybe that was intentional? Either way, it's something that's stood out to me quite a bit, and has ranged from funny to downright annoying! XD

Can we have a serious talk about incest in anime? Why is it ever a plot device. I've watched enough budget anime to notice this disturbing trend. It started with Sword Art and the step sisters confession which was so awkward it ruined the tone of the rest of the episode. Testaments harem calls the man Big Brother while they grope each other and film it and shit. Magic High Schools protagonist has a sister that gets way too close and is really creepy and too perfect. Schwarzemarkens protagonist straight sleeps with his step sister. Now I'm watching Big Order and there's a scene where it's heavily implied the main character fucks and then showers with his sister. Stop with the incest it's not cool just because A Game of Thrones did it right.

^ There are SO many instances where it's not just in your face or not as obvious, but I've always thought and discussed with others how Japan seems to be so open and seemingly polite that it's almost a mask to this kind of "fetish" which seems to be so normal to them. They might not have any fear, disgust, or opinion towards it, but it makes it look like it's common and accepting, not just supposedly funny in anime, or even as a plot line, but something that they welcome into this perverse side of them outside of anime. I've always hated not just the full on fan service aspect of anime, but this sexualized no-no of a relation. It's not just awkward and cringe worthy, but simply not right or normal. Like this BBC documentary covered Babymetal and idols alike, and I forgot the dude's name, but he was an 'expert' in this field of music and said how when he asked older men who are fans of AKB48 why they listen to them, their answer was on the lines of "because it's like I'm seeing and supporting my sister". Really? Seeing these mostly underage girls in skimpy outfits is when you think of your own probably younger siblings? It's questionable, and it always will be. I do not and will not understand anyone who enjoys or thinks it's fine to do. It might just be a cultural thing, or preference, God forbid, but I could rant about this for a while.

It's all about the fantasy I think, it's not that people who like incest plot lines want to sleep with their own real life sibling(s), but that doesn't mean that they can't find the thought of it in a purely fantasy scenario arousing...

for example I like some anime with incest plotlines, like Oreimo and I even watch and read some hentai and eroge manga with incest plots, and it does arouse me, but then again I don't have a sister nor am I gay so my brother is out of the question... the point is it's not real.

I think people get so bent out of shape about it without realizing that it's not real, so there's no harm being done... it's like lolicon, same concept.

I know a guy who can't/won't watch anime with any "loli" characters, it doesn't matter if it's tasteful or inappropriate he just nopes the fuck out at the site of any characters that are slightly underaged... no matter if the show is ridiculously good or not. Obviously he is being ridiculous but to him the line between real and fantasy is closer than with other  people i think xD

So I tried watching Punch Line the other day, and had to stop 4 episodes in.

For the first time, I actually felt like I wasted my life watching something lol.

Never again.

I am quite sure I am about to offend @YuyoDrift with this, but I absolutely loathed FLCL. If one anime was ever the cause for anxiety attacks due to sensory overload, it would be this one. What a nonsensical, ugly and ill-conceived piece of garbage. Whoever today still claims this to be a 'coming-of-age' masterpiece needs to straighten themselves out; there is absolutely no story, no plot and no secretive and underlying hidden meaning in this whatsoever.