Zeus

ANIME TRASH TALK THREAD

I finished Black Butler Season 1. My friend convinced me to watch it and I just finished it today. Fantastic show, great opening and awesome characters!

Season 2 so far is a complete mess. The animation is great but good god, is Alois the most insufferable, full of himself, sadistic prick I have seen and Claude is completely uninteresting. The only good parts are the opening since it's The Gazette and that the main characters from the first season are back. I'm only on Episode 2 and I HOPE Alois doesn't ruin this one or the rest of the show. 

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

@psychonnect_rozen I'm surprised you liked Black Butler at all. The first season was animated so fucking badly, not only that, why did they make Grell so annoying? That blonde girl was also a pain the ass. I had to drop it by episode 12, it was just garbage. And yeah I will be that prick that says the manGa iS beTTeR because at least the moronic trio (maids, butler and gardener) got very little time in the panels and the art is incredible. 

29 minutes ago, platy said:

@psychonnect_rozen I'm surprised you liked Black Butler at all. The first season was animated so fucking badly, not only that, why did they make Grell so annoying? That blonde girl was also a pain the ass. I had to drop it by episode 12, it was just garbage. And yeah I will be that prick that says the manGa iS beTTeR because at least the moronic trio (maids, butler and gardener) got very little time in the panels and the art is incredible. 

Thanks I guess lol /s

No but seriously I enjoyed it because well...I like it lol. It ain’t an all time favourite but it’s enjoyable at best

It’s cool if you don’t like it but IMO, it’s a fun watch.

I often start new animes with an open mind and don’t look at the reviews until after I’m done watching THEN I make my own opinions lol

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

2 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

No worries, I don't have the patience to watch anime like I did back then, come to think of it, I was a teen then, 17, so no wonder.

In terms of the animation styles no longer being done manually, I agree.

Nothing will hold a candle to anime like Vision of Escaflowne or even perv shit like Golden Boy, but I think that anime has changed drastically to a more "its for X" type of fan-base. I never thought isekai would have gone south, quality wise, as that used to be my favorite genre.

Since studios combined can shit out 20+ anime a season (I hate the seasonal anime formula itself) with the latest tech, its no wonder that OGs like us cling to old times lol. Weeblo peasants gonna peasant.

I think that what you're looking for has not been discovered yet, and like you, I'm not gonna dig through that shitpile to find it haha.

I've been impressed with the old stuff I've finally watched recently like Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) and Iria Zeiram, and am probably gonna keep doing so.

Oh and to contribute:

I saw Air Master the other day and holy fuck, that was some bad animation. Don't get me started on the dub voices haha.

The plot too, like wtf? Easily on my top 3 worst anime I've ever watched.

1 minute ago, YuyoDrift said:

In terms of the animation styles no longer being done manually, I agree.

Nothing will hold a candle to anime like Vision of Escaflowne or even perv shit like Golden Boy, but I think that anime has changed drastically to a more "its for X" type of fan-base. I never thought isekai would have gone south, quality wise, as that used to be my favorite genre.

Since studios combined can shit out 20+ anime a season (I hate the seasonal anime formula itself) with the latest tech, its no wonder that OGs like us cling to old times lol. Weeblo peasants gonna peasant.

I think that what you're looking for has not been discovered yet, and like you, I'm not gonna dig through that shitpile to find it haha.

I've been impressed with the old stuff I've finally watched recently like Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) and Iria Zeiram, and am probably gonna keep doing so.

Oh and to contribute:

I saw Air Master the other day and holy fuck, that was some bad animation. Don't get me started on the dub voices haha.

GTO is a good, funny show. I was watching this earlier and the nostalgia was palpable.

These kids and their Heroes and their 

Titans and their SAO and TG, man who punches one time and God knows what else will never know what it was like growing up when Toonami was the only game in town. I still remember watching anime when I didn't even know what it was with black and white Speed Racer, then the days of DBZ, Outlaw Star, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Zoids, Rurouni Kenshin, I mean fuck. I also forgot about FLCL and GITS:SAC, but yeah. Shit these days is just generic, rehashed and shit out of a studio like a fucking yewrlg sports game.

/rant

26 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Oh and to contribute:

I wish I hadn't googled that lol. It looks like some cheap hentai.

26 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

I'm not here to convince you otherwise and I totally agree that the animation nowadays has lowered in quality considerably. It's a shame animation has become a business which the faster you shit out the product the better just so neckbeard, basement dwelling otakus can get their fill of whatever questionable fetish they have (in case you browse myanimelist profile, I know this sounds hypocritical af but that's a debate for another day). This is definitely a craft that takes time, lots of sweat and tears and doesn't fit today's 'fast food' model but alas.

There are some fantastic narratives out there hiding behind the gross use of cg. For example, Made in Abyss is beautiful and so well crafted in every aspect of itself. I was going to put it off because of it's 'kiddy' look but the series was far from being kiddy friendly or your run of the mill shounen. It restored my faith in anime. There are studios out there that care. They're just buried under the garbage heap and unfortunately, bound to get overlooked because as you said as adults there's less time to waste on this stuff and teens aren't out there exactly looking for quality series  :( 

One punch man was a good binge, but I haven't watched the second season, and I'm afraid to. Same goes for TG and the newest seasons of MHA and SnS.

Ya see, the thing studios never seem to understand is: Once an anime has made it to timeless status, you DON'T go and make another season. Since Shonen Jump stuff is always doomed from the start, I can't defend them, but a series like FLCL was never supposed to have a sequel, let alone 2 wtf.

6 minutes ago, platy said:

For example, Made in Abyss is beautiful and so well crafted . I was going to put it off because of it's 'kiddy' look but the series itself was far from being kiddy friendly or your run of the mill shounen.  

My gf and I just started watching this, and yeah, the animation style is too "ghibli" for me to watch an entire season of. I'm trying though.

Edit:

Yeah, I'm surprised you looked up Air Master too. I hope you didn't watch an episode lol.

9 minutes ago, platy said:

This is definitely a craft that takes time, lots of sweat and tears and doesn't fit today's 'fast food' model but alas.

Which is why what happened to KyoAni really hit me hard.

Reality still has not hit me with that news, and I'm wondering how those animators will ever return to work knowing what happened.

I really do hope that the rest of the studios in Japan learn from what happened and change the ways they treat/pay their animators, because they could lose them tomorrow and being petty just isn't worth it.

21 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Which is why what happened to KyoAni really hit me hard.

Reality still has not hit me with that news, and I'm wondering how those animators will ever return to work knowing what happened.

I really do hope that the rest of the studios in Japan learn from what happened and change the ways they treat/pay their animators, because they could lose them tomorrow and being petty just isn't worth it.

I wasn't always a fan of kyoani's moeness, but there's no one around that's on their level. Without a doubt a massive loss in the anime industry and such a tragedy. I wonder when we will see anything from them again. I expect heartfelt anime-short tributes to start rolling in by the end of the year.

2 minutes ago, platy said:

I expect heartfelt anime-short tributes to start rolling in by the end of the year.

Oh, there are plenty on YouTube right now.

Every time I try to give Bleach a shot all I can think is "This is it? Why is this so popular?"

I love series like D. Gray-man, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc., that have a similar premise, and the characters look like something I'd enjoy, but I watched the first three episodes and just felt incredibly bored. It felt like a chore to get even that far.

1 hour ago, secret_no_03 said:

Titans and their SAO and TG, man who punches one time and God knows what else will never know what it was like growing up when Toonami was the only game in town. I still remember watching anime when I didn't even know what it was with black and white Speed Racer, then the days of DBZ, Outlaw Star, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Zoids, Rurouni Kenshin, I mean fuck. I also forgot about FLCL and GITS:SAC, but yeah. Shit these days is just generic, rehashed and shit out of a studio like a fucking yewrlg sports game.

/rant

This is generally how I feel about anime. Golden age best age... until I watched Carole & Tuesday and it gave me a little sliver of hope in the current anime generation. The fact that it's made by Studio Bones/Shinichiro Watanabe helps a lot, because I might not have touched it otherwise. It really feels like Bebop and Champloo but in 2019 and it's so fucking NICE.

Speaking of FLCL, I started Alternative today and it was a snore. Just zzzzzz. I can't imagine Progressive being any better but I'm finally giving 'em a shot and that's something, I guess.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

Ya see, the thing studios never seem to understand is: Once an anime has made it to timeless status, you DON'T go and make another season. Since Shonen Jump stuff is always doomed from the start, I can't defend them, but a series like FLCL was never supposed to have a sequel, let alone 2 wtf.

This has always confused me. Why make another season of something as timeless and classic like FLCL (and other anime series)? It doesn't need to be touched and be potentially ruined by another season/spin-off/sequel/etc., lol. I know there are instances where another season/sequels/remakes/etc. could actually work in the franchise's favor. But more often than not, it tends to ruin said series/franchise.

8 minutes ago, Zalemu said:

This is generally how I feel about anime. Golden age best age... until I watched Carole & Tuesday and it gave me a little sliver of hope in the current anime generation. The fact that it's made by Studio Bones/Shinichiro Watanabe helps a lot, because I might not have touched it otherwise. It really feels like Bebop and Champloo but in 2019 and it's so fucking NICE.

Speaking of FLCL, I started Alternative today and it was a snore. Just zzzzzz. I can't imagine Progressive being any better but I'm finally giving 'em a shot and that's something, I guess.

I'll give that a try one of these days, anything by Shinichiro is usually good.

Okay so I talked shit about FLCL Alternative but it wasn't that bad. It redeemed itself by the second episode and the rest was p good. Progressive though? Progressive is actual trash all the way through, I do not recommend. 

Edited by Zalemu

2 minutes ago, Zalemu said:

Okay so I talked shit about FLCL Alternative but it wasn't that bad. It redeemed itself by the second episode and the rest was p good. Progressive though? Progressive is actual trash all the way through, I do not recommend. 

Waiting for FLCL Post-punk. 

On 8/12/2019 at 6:47 AM, secret_no_03 said:

Dude, wtf. This is why I hate the fucking weeboo fandom sometimes.

It's one thing to mention that an anime sucks or that it should never be seen by others, but I'm getting pretty fucking tired of reading people's comments online saying "they should die" or "KYS (name of studio)" because eventually THIS SHIT will be welcomed too.

Edit: My comment is directed to all fandoms for videogames, animation, and film.

Alright I'm back here, again.

This time my beef is with current contender for AoTY (or so I hear (weebs amirite?)) Demon Slayer (or Kimetsu no Yaiba, for you hardcore otaku bastards).

Back when it first started airing, I decided to jump in early and see if it had promise.

Well, let's just say that while I enjoyed the artwork and plot, they fucking butchered the shit out of how they presented it. As a result, my opinion of it by just the first episode was that this was gonna be a snooze-fest, so I put it off (more like dropped it, honestly) cuz I have a backlog and shit, ya know?

Anyways, I met up with a friend, had some drinks, and caught up with our animes of the season. After I mentioned that I dropped Demon Slayer, he begged me to pick it back up again (and make it past episode 3) because I might actually grow to like it as it was really good in his opinion (plus he knows I'm a jaded fuck when it comes to anime). Well I decided to humor him and pick it back up, this time doing some research as to who was the studio behind it and their past work, simply because there were things in the first episode that I found familiar and wanted to reference it in other works they may have created.

Well it took me up until episode 4 to break her in, simply because the attempt to present everything was still just so poorly thought out, that I was actually facepalming at certain scenes, even going so far as to actually think about other anime shows that did it better lol.

I'm up to episode 10 or so, and I still feel the same way about the show as I did from the first episode, and I dunno man, I think the show's already on a thread with me, and I'd hate to see a repeat of Your Lie in April.

I'll come back and explain what other problems I have with the show, but this main one sums up a lot my flac with Demon Slayer.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:00 PM, secret_no_03 said:

GTO is a good, funny show. I was watching this earlier and the nostalgia was palpable.

/rant

I hear you. There's an argument to be made there was always an assembly line attitude in the medium, there was always an adherence to or at least consciousness of trends and conventions... It's not like "moe" was invented in the 2000s or 2010s (Project A-ko anyone?). But the conventions were just handled so much better back then. Titles like "Is it Wrong to Pick Up Slime Girls in a Forklift Simulator?" or whatever just tell me they're not even trying anymore.

Edited by hopefully_benign
how do I internet

Right, let's talk Seven Deadly Sins.

I like the setting. I like the tone. I like the art style; it's quirky without being ostentatious. The colour palette is vibrant. It's a good concept. The character designs are nice and the characters themselves are cool and fun to watch, for the most part. Now, if only Meliodas and Elizabeth weren't the most annoying fucking characters ever. Like seriously, Meliodas has a fucking awful and downright creepy/off-putting personality and needs a swift kick upside the chin and Elizabeth needs to fucking grow a spine and and a brain, if she even knows what either of those things are. They were made to fit archetypal roles and that's it. Chivalrous pervert hero, damsel in distress princess heroine. They're so damn tropey it hurts.