Sign in to follow this  
Wonrei

mysterious band "sukekiyo"

Japanese bands use English song titles everywhere, and it's not exclusive to Dir en grey. Also, it's pretty far-fetched to assume that Dir en grey only print lyrics in English, in their CD booklets, because they fear people won't listen to their music otherwise. It's certainly in there for your average consumer to read and understand (which practically every band in the world does); but that's where it ends. Why would a band who doesn't care about how people interpret their lyrics, suddenly care about how their lyrics are read? The band has mentioned record label influence to sing in English in the past; but they openly stated it's something they didn't want to do, so they stopped doing it.

You'd think that if there WAS a demand for English lyrics (and a necessity which is assumed), it would be in their lyrics in their songs, not inside of booklets of CDs.

They also had translations for the outer tracklist. In fact, I don't think there was a single fragment of Japanese throughout the entire release.

Not to mention the inclusion of the English versions of Dozing Green and Glass Skin.

(Unlike the Japanese-only release of Gauze I have--the poem book included).

Do you have any source for that EP tracklist?

As far as I know and seen, the EP is a 1 track vinyl only containing "the daemon's cutlery". If you check scans on mbok or Yahoo! Auctions, you'll see the A-side is having a label with logo+text, but the B-side is completely blank only having a black label with nothing on it. The back cover is not having any other song titles other than "the daemon's cutlery".

I think you're mixing up the EP tracklist with the setlist for the two shows they performed on December 29-30

yes, my friend confirmed it's 1 song only single.

It's listed as an "EP" on their site, I highly doubt it's one song...

Seconding on this

Like, how EP can have "1 song" only (EP is basically supposed to include 4-7 songs)? Or are we going to expect a half-an-hour -long prog cavalcade out of this? I highly doubt that in terms of Kyo...

Things have changed a lot through the years. An EP doesn't have to have this many songs or that much playtime. An EP can have everything from 1 to 45 songs, and be everything from 5 to 75 minutes long.

The same goes for albums. You'll inf short-as-fuck albums as well. "Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood" anyone? Full lenght, but less than 15 minutes long... or short. Whatever.

Kyo's twitter/sukekiyo's twitter reported that "The Daemon's Cutlery EP" (I bet it's the actual EP with all 7 songs this time) will come out tomorrow on "Penyunne Zemeckis" (Kyo's webshop).

Seconding on this

Like, how EP can have "1 song" only (EP is basically supposed to include 4-7 songs)? Or are we going to expect a half-an-hour -long prog cavalcade out of this? I highly doubt that in terms of Kyo...

A "EP" can also mean a "demo" that will later be mastered and re-produced into a final studio version. Releasing "EPs" at live shows are pretty common within the indies scene, at least here in Sweden local bands recently formed releasing EPs (1-2 tracked demo CDs) on their live shows. These EPs are often released in plastic sleeves with only a self-printed front-back booklet, the CD is often CD-R.

the daemon's cutlery are obviously a such demo EP. If you get your hands of one of these, you better grab it hard since it will probably be valuable!

A "western" EP in Japan is a "Mini Album". So there is clear difference between EP and Mini Album, at least in Japan. I think EP has a status of a "demo" like I described above, and the Mini Album is a 4-7 tracked release that western music industry refer to EP.

o0800045012800239883.jpg

Take a look at the Vinyl Disc, it's probably a 7" Vinyl and those are often used for Singles.

Judging by the vinyl tracks on the disc, it does not have any silent parts, its most likely only 1 track on Side A:

^ guess that explains something. Pardon me then.

I hope those other live songs will be made into some studio release - the heck, even mini-album would be okay for me. (would've been such a ripoff if they only sold that PV + demo and let those other songs be forgotten in their own "live profile")

Why generate this much hype for one song? It doesn't make sense, especially for someone with Kyo's profile. An EP by definition is an 'extended play'; therefore it's bound to be more than one song surely?

Btw the Japanese text there in the webshop apparently says the EP was recorded in one take in the band's rehearsal studio (to get that live feeling, blablabla).

Dunno if this was already established, just thought I'd note it. :)

It's what new bands do for promotion (if people were expecting an EP with several tracks or an album this early, they were asking for too much). Though, $20 for that one song? You're paying more for the novelty than you are the actual track.

Well to be fair, any hype was pretty much generated from us here on the forums and elsewhere. The band didn't really promise anything to begin with.

I'm kinda relieved, as I can now focus and build excitement for Dir en grey's new single.

"Sukekiyo is the name of a masked character in the movie “Murder of the Inugami Clan/The Inugamis” (犬神家の一族). I don’t know why they chose it but curiously, one of The Zemeckises, Raimi, is also called Inugami and has those kanjis written on his “body”. Moreover, as somebody posted in the tag some time ago (sorry, I can’t remember who it was), the legs that come out from the upper part of Raimi resemble those of another character in a concrete scene of the movie."

http://sukekiyo-news.tumblr.com/page/2

There's nothing definite; but that's a very solid interpretation.

Sign in to follow this