Champ213

J-Rock Awards 2013?

Well, the end of the year is coming quickly, and usually around December I would start with the annual MH J-Rock awards.

However, participation in the contest has been going down in recent times, and not because of lack of people. A lot of folks that didn't vote would later comment on the results, usually voicing their displeasure with the outcome.

In its current format, the awards are a LOT of work - since I have to count all votes manually. So it's not very encouraging to go through that trouble again if not many people are interested in it. Plus, it's really hard to get decent representative results if not enough people participate.

So if we want to have another voting this year, I think we have to make some changes. I asked for some opinions in the discussion last time, but I may as well bring this up again. Here are some suggestions I can offer:

1. Reduce the number of categories.

Last year we wanted to mix things up my splitting some categories into Indies and Major. But maybe the poll is just too long and bothersome so we should remove some redundant categories.

2. Add/change some categories.

Maybe people would rather see seperate categories for non-vk releases instead of Major/Indies? Or any other categories that should be there?

3. Make participation more worthwhile.

For example, by raffling away a price to (a) random participant(s). I would be willing to pay for such a price, most likely a gift coupon for an online jrock store.

4. The last resort: change to nominees.

If anything else fails, the last resort would be to scrap the open format of the voting completely. We would only take the most important categories and offer a list of pre-picked nominations and have people vote on them via forum polls. This would mean a lot less work for me, but also a lot less freedom of choice for you.

So.... thoughts?

My main suggestion was and remains... rather than choosing ONLY 1 candidate for each category, we should be able to submit perhaps 3.  

My rationale for this is that it is often quite difficult to decide the absolute best in any given category (especially for fickle people like me, :D).  That combined with "voting politics" (trying to consider, will my vote for 'obscure band x" count if everyone is picking Mejibray or GRIEVA for some award) makes it extra tough.  I think having the chance to submit 3 candidates for a category solves these problems.

Now I realize that having 3 candidates from each participating MH-user will increase the amount of work for you, so I am volunteering right now to help with anything you'd need regarding this competition (if you want)!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! XD

I think it's not a bad idea and I will definetely consider it, as well as your offer for help. :)

Maybe it would also be an option to have a first nominee-round, in which users can nominate winners, and then have an ultimate voting round in which users can vote amongst the top 5 nominees...

Less categories (best single, best album, best dvd, best live-performance, best overall, and that ofcourse divided in VK/non-VK as this is primarily a VK-forum still) and not all those person-related awards, like who changed for the worst, best looks, which artist you've spend the most money on etc

Maybe it would also be an option to have a first nominee-round, in which users can nominate winners, and then have an ultimate voting round in which users can vote amongst the top 5 nominees...

I thought about that too. Not sure if that would really change much.... the effort of collecting the nominess is basically the same of counting full votes, having an additional poll on the results just really seems to complicate things.

But I think I will definetly scrap some of those categories that didn't get many results in last years. ("Changed for the worse" was actually always a very popular one - but after years of Mucc and Girugamesh fighting for the lead here, it might just get boring XD)

.... ("Changed for the worse" was actually always a very popular one - but after years of Mucc and Girugamesh fighting for the lead here, it might just get boring XD)

i gigglesnorted :P

also i think you're right about that "second round doesn't change much", and even if it does, what does that say? 

if in round one it's like band A has 30% and Band B 20% then it won't be much of a surprise when the second round ill be A: 66% B: 33%. and if it's the other way around it just ensures butthurt all over the place about "stupid" results and about which round now actually counted...

I wonder if there could be a way for all of us to choose the nominees or winners collectively that way we can all add as many bands as possible without counting manually. 

something like this perhaps?

https://www.facebook.com/questions/499550416741592/

i think this would work best maybe we could even add more polls this way.

Best Major Band, Best Indie Band, Biggest disappointment of the year, Best music video, Best Album, Best mini Album, Best single, etc.

I would like to see a change from Indies/Major to Vk/ Non-Vk. The reason being is, for some bands I found it difficult to differentiate between the two, especially since I don't really pay attention to whether or not a band goes major. 

Actually, we added the Major/Indies split to give the major bands a better chance. XD

From experience, people here traditionally vote for indies bands -  the "big" indies bands, but still - and a few selected major bands.

For what it's worth, here's the list of categories, we had list time, minus the Indies/major split.

Bold are the ones that I think should stay, in brackets those that may have to go - though maybe not all of them.

Add to that a vk/non-sk split for the most important categories.

Best overall artist
Best full album
Best mini album
Best single/maxi
Best PV
(Best song)
(Best ballad)
(Best Look)
Best Newcomer
(Best individual musician)
(Best live)
Saddest disbandment
Most disappointing release
(Most overhyped band)
(Most overhyped release)
(Band that changed their sound for the worse)
(Most improved band)
(Band you spent most of your money on in 2012)
(What the Hell were they thinking!?-award)
Most anticipated release of 2013
(Your wish for 2013 (relating to jrock):)
Best non-japanese release

Oh, and I would like to keep the voting on the forum, or at least not use the Facebook poll, which requires people to have a FB account. I known there are probably other sites that allow you to make custom polls, but they can often be easily rigged by people making a bunch of fake accounts etc, or have their FB/Tweitter freinds vote too. I think the poll should stay exclusive for forum users, and they shouldm't be required to register somewhere else to participate.

I can help out a bit now that I have a wee bit more free time. I haven't participated/voted in the awards for several years, so I don't believe I know enough to offer worthwhile suggestions.

Guest Magatsu

Just with  lesser categories. I would say:

Best overall artist
Best full album
Best mini album
Best single/maxi
Best PV
Best song

Best Newcomer
Saddest disbandment
Most disappointing release

In my eyes that small list is way enough :D