sai

Least favourite songs/releases by your favourite artists

No matter how much we love our favourite artists, there is always that one (or more releases, depending on personal opinions) release which we just can't enjoy, isn't up to par with the rest of their material or is just so plain bad that we wished it had never been printed to disc, mainly because it just stains their entire discography. This is not limited to VK by the way, all Japanese rock counts! This also isn't limited to releases that you considered 'bad'. Mediocre or just general underwhelming releases count too.

This can be a whole release, like a single/mini/album, or if you can't think of those, just individual songs that ruined otherwise great releases (that one song that kept you from giving it five stars).

I'll start with BUCK-TICK's Yumemiru Uchuu. Even though this album isn't BAD, it's certainly their weakest album yet and apart from a few catchy tracks there is nothing particularly interesting going on, as in most of the previous albums. I find it a bit of a stain on their otherwise fantastic album discography.

Next up, lynch.' INFERIORITY COMPLEX. I liked a total of 2 tracks off this album, of which one was a single. The EXODUS EP excluded, I've digged every lynch. release so far, but INFERIORITY COMPLEX was just a really weak album imo that just put me off for quite a bit of time. It felt like it wasn't ready yet, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, let loose!

NOTE: THE "EVERYTHING RELEASED SINCE..."-THING IS NOT MEANT FOR THIS THREAD, BUT FOR THE "BANDS THAT WENT DOWNHILL"-THREAD. THIS IS SPECIFIED TO ONE OR SEVERAL RELEASES SPREAD OUT THROUGH A BAND'S DISCOGRAPHY THAT YOU STILL CONSIDER AMONG YOUR FAVOURITES.

Raphael's "Huckleberry no koi" -  I give them props for the mere wtf-ness of making a country song, but I just can't get into it. XD

Other than that, there really isn't a single song in their repertoire that I don't like.

Gonna have to agree with sai, on that BUCK-TICK release. The album is far from bad. But not as catchy or appealing as some of their other albums. A few great songs here and there, but the rest were just a little too weak for me. Overall, still pretty nice release though.

I had to think pretty hard on this, but for me it would be the album JOKER from Janne Da Arc. I loved some of the single tracks from there like 月光花 and ダイヤモンドヴァージン, but most of the album just seemed kinda "blah" for me like it didn't have that Janne Da Arc feel going for it. Time and time again I'll go on a JDA binge, but JOKER seems to be the one album that never makes it onto the playlist.

Versailles-Zombie

Repetitive riff and doesn't add much especially since the next track does a better job in giving a melody after the fast riffs.

X-Joker

Comes off as little corny imo

Mejibray-worms

Just....No. On that note Messiah was underwhelming since it was my first purchase of Mejibray, I was expecting Sliver type of material, oh well.

I used to love Phantasmagoria very very much when they were around but every time 'Nil Frontier' started I wanted to die.

And I hate 'Merry Christmas, I love you' by Kuroyume with a passion.

I get what you mean about Buck-Tick's Yume miru uchuu, but still think Aku no Hana is their worst record X*D I can't believe it's their most sold album...

I don't really have any song that gets on my nerves by any of my favorite bands, but I do raise an eyebrow at Malice Mizer's claire~月の調べ~

@ Hyura: what if it was "Romancia?" Would that still make you want to die? "ROMANSHIIAAAA" instead of "NIR FRUNTIIAAA"

Bearsigh's "Shout and Bites." Never liked it.

Moi Dix Mois' 3rd album. It somehow managed to be tackier and not in a good way.

Avenged Sevenfold's "Return of the King." They decided they wanted to be thrashy / "prog," and it just bored the hell out of me.

Delain's "We are the others": I loved their 2nd album and hold it as one of my most favorite albums ever, and their first album had some good songs on it too, but this album went really really dark in an Evanescence / Hot Topic kind of way. It also didn't help that all of the lyrics were about wanting to murder your ex and came out at around the same time I fell out of a relationship. 

Cali=/=Gari's "1" only had "1" good thing about it and that was the album art.

I could really never get into Volbeat's 2nd album aside from "Evelyn." Their first album had a bunch of good songs on it, and their 3rd album has 2 songs I love and a handful I enjoy, but I only recall "Above Heaven / Beyond Hell" having songs that actually annoyed me.

30 Seconds to Mars' latest album really bored me, which is so disappointing. I absolutely loved tracks 1~3 , but then after that it was just a snooze fest. Absolutely love the design direction they took for the album art / booklets (zebras!!!!), but that does not make a good album.

Post-Bastard Vidoll, aside from "Love Affair," "Ikaros," and "Gothikroid-kai" were pretty forgettable.

Celldweller broke by heart once he started being dumb-step.

Obligatory stab at post-Myaku Dir en Grey.

Wow, I complain a lot.

LUNA SEA's SHINE album is a horrific, bloated, bland and boring mess, with the exception of 3 songs.

BUCK-TICK's Yumemiru uchuu makes ONE LIFE, ONE DEATH or RAZZLE DAZZLE sound like flawless masterpieces (note: none of those are what I would consider 'amazing releases').

cali≠gari's song Kimi ga saku yama is annoying beyond belief (can't really explain why but it grates on my nerves).

That's all I could come up with right now.

Never liked Dir en grey's original version of Karasu. Anything before Gauze album is just painful to listen to.

I can't stand Luna Sea's songs Precious, With Love, Crazy About You, Slave, and some of their older ones before Mother album.

D'espairsRay's Yozora. Ugh.... sorry but this reeks too much fangirls.

I don't bother memorizing names of the songs I don't like.

Almost everything released after Yami ni chiru sakura by Alice Nine.

Almost everything released since 2005 by Kagrra,

Almost everything released since 2004 by Nightmare (I don't even understand why they haven't changed their name yet. It just doesn't suit them anymore O.o)

Almost everything released after 2007 by Ayabie.

I didn't like PIERROT's release called Hello. It was so uninspired. I tend to think they could barely look one other in the eye in those days before the sudden breakup...

Eh not to be a dick but the purpose of this thread is "several releases/songs or a single release spread throughout their discography". Saying "Alice Nine ever since Yami ni chiru sakura", "Kagrra ever since 2005" etc. is better fit for the "bands that went downhill"-thread or the "bands you used to like but don't anymore"-thread we have here.

So yeah "everything released since..." doesn't count here, sorry.

/also this is just personal but if a band hasn't released something worthwhile since 2005 I don't consider them among my favourites lol

@ Hyura: what if it was "Romancia?" Would that still make you want to die? "ROMANSHIIAAAA" instead of "NIR FRUNTIIAAA"

XD I have to admit that I always though they were the same! Does he really sing different engrish in both? I'm a bad fan.

But yes, YES, it'd still make me want to die.

The only romancia I can tolerate is Kuroyumes. Although that also makes me want to die... BECAUSE OF ALL THE FEELS.

koooono yooo ni~ soooooonzaaai shinaaai~ ooochite yuku LOOOOOOMANSIA~ lala. lala. lalalalalala.

Eh not to be a dick but the purpose of this thread is "several releases/songs or a single release spread throughout their discography". Saying "Alice Nine ever since Yami ni chiru sakura", "Kagrra ever since 2005" etc. is better fit for the "bands that went downhill"-thread or the "bands you used to like but don't anymore"-thread we have here.

So yeah "everything released since..." doesn't count here, sorry.

/also this is just personal but if a band hasn't released something worthwhile since 2005 I don't consider them among my favourites lol

I just needed to get it out of my system.

I'm relieved now^^

Kra's album 'Escape'. Apart from a few songs it really doesn't stand out as a great release from them. I was also mildly disappointed with some of the tracks on their latest album...'Resistance' just annoys me.

Apart from these examples I love them to bits :D

On 07/11/2013 at 0:03 AM, seikun said:

Almost everything released after 2007 by Ayabie.

There was once a time when I would have disagreed... but it has passed. :D

As for my other anti-favourites:

DIAURA's REBORN. I love "胎動,"  but the title track and "anti-people" are awful. When I first heard the title track, the first ten seconds (maybe?) sounded promising, until yo-ka started singing the chorus, then I completely lost interest in hearing the rest of the mini-album, and it took several months to regain that interest. Aside from "胎動", none of the tracks caught my immediate attention the same way other DIAURA songs have, like "SIRIUS" or "TERRORS."

Opeth's "Damnation" is a release that I don't have as much to say about. I don't outright dislike it, but the album just hasn't grown on me. I'm not all that into Opeth's softer side. Again... nothing really grabs my attention, here.

I'm also gonna agree with Kaye on girugamesh's "GO"

That's all I can think of for now...

I can't stand the second part of Gazette's DIVISION anymore. Guess I got so easily annoyed with it :(

Agreeing with Jig on Luna Sea's part, and GO too.

I get what you mean about Buck-Tick's Yume miru uchuu, but still think Aku no Hana is their worst record X*D I can't believe it's their most sold album...

I don't really have any song that gets on my nerves by any of my favorite bands, but I do raise an eyebrow at Malice Mizer's claire~月の調べ~

Aku no Hana was one of their best imo 

But that's just me being biased towards old B-T releases ;x

Kagrra,'s Guilty may be the only song I don't reaaaally like in their entire discography (yep, I genuinely like the rest, a lot);

RENTRER EN SOI's AMONGST FOOLISH ENEMIES is horrible;

LUNA SEA's SHINE album is bland and forgettable;

Some of the ballads from B'z (especially the ones from the MAGIC album, such as PRAY and TINY DROPS) are horrible;

Kiyokiba Shunsuke has some truly godawful bland songs (and most of his recent stuff hasn't been all that exciting either);

Perfume should never have released Kasuka na kaori;

Namie Amuro's Uncontrolled album is a mess;

NoGoD has Raise a Flag and it sucks so much.

I think this covers it all.

Kagrra,'s Guilty may be the only song I don't reaaaally like in their entire discography (yep, I genuinely like the rest, a lot);

RENTRER EN SOI's AMONGST FOOLISH ENEMIES is horrible;

Namie Amuro's Uncontrolled album is a mess;

NoGoD has Raise a Flag and it sucks so much.

I think this covers it all.

THIS. and I'll also some more too:

-Nocturnal Bloodlust "Disaster"

-Mejibray - most of the B-sides except for the ones on their 3 recent singles.

-alice nine. - "Rainbows", "Shooting Star", "Akatsuki"

-Shinee "Dream Girl"

-Block B "Romantically"

Gazette

TOXIC - minus "Suicide Circus" and "Ruthless Deeds"

"Kagefumi", "Gama" mini album

I have an internal conflict with this, but...

Kuroki hana no sennenki~saishuushou~ by Noir fleurir is maybe my least favourite by the band. I mean they changed their style in this release to a more poppish style.

I would have liked that they had evolved (and improved) in the direction of songs like STYLE.

Maybe they lost inspiration or a goal as a band by that time...

Although Let's Embrace With All and Shout of the Soul... :headbang:

Aku no Hana was one of their best imo 

But that's just me being biased towards old B-T releases ;x

I really like the old releases of Buck-Tick but that cd just doesn't do it for me... It's just like 1 long song XD I felt relieved to read Atsushi doesn't like that cd eitherXD