Pandabear

Horror Movies

@Bear I had no idea there was an original, haha! :D Might seek it out later, in hopes that it's better than this one.

btw I saw 'Los Parecidos' on Netflix, it's still up there in my region at least (title is 'The Similars').

Original is total fucking cult. Amazing film!

I did not know it was up in Netflix. I know what I'm gonna this evening. Is it long since it was added? Can't remember seeing it there, but then again I rarely check horror movies on Netflix. Seen the majority of it, and lately I've been using tubitv which is  free alternative to Netflix. Recommended!

Jeez, that is so weird. Find it weird how it hasn't been recommended to me by Netflix, but after they changed from scoring the films 1-5 to thumbs up or down the recommendations have sucked major ass.

Los Parecidos / The Similars was the muthafuckin' shit. Takes a classic 40's, 50's and 60's setting, a pretty classic type of The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Invasion of the Body Snatchers influenced plot and turns it into something trippy, campy, classic and unique at the same time. So different, yet so familiar. Absolute brilliance! The weirdness and atmosphere are fantastic, the set and location are outstanding, the cinematography is beautiful and the acting and special effects are top, top notch. Can't ask for more IMO.

I loved how it started out with weak and faded colours and goes all B&W towards the end. Cool as hell!

Killer High - The type of film that might get a cult status in the future. This film was picked up by SyFy and therefore bears its name everywhere, which I think might be a buzzkill because when most people think of SyFy nowadays they think about modern Syfy original films and The Asylum productions like Sharknado and its sequels, Mega Shark and its sequel and so on.

Bit Killer High is a pretty cool creature feature slasher flick that really works. Good special effects, time absolutely stunning shots, visually impressive and the acting is good as well. Fun, fun film and I'll gladly recommend this to anyone into slashers and creature features.

Screamers - Slammed by the ctitics, loved by the horror/sci-fi cult movie fanbase. It's not perfect, but it's hella cool for sure. Peter Weller's totally awesome, and the concept as well as the bad "guys" are really damn cool. Underrated and overlooked flick.

Overlord - Finally got to see this film and what a motherfucking masterpiece. You can't really talk about this without mentioning Frankenstein's Army, Outpost and Blood Creek, but that's not negative at all if you ask me as I just love these horror movies dealing with nazi occultism and similar shit. I was told that this was mainly a war-drama with some horror thrown in, but it really isn't. This is a horror movie all the way through. Great atmosphere, plot, acting and special effects. Brilliant film!

So, no one watched Suspiria remake, the masterpiece?

I haven't watched the original, but I guess fans of Argento's version will hate this one.

1 hour ago, Licio123 said:

So, no one watched Suspiria remake, the masterpiece?

I did, and intend to watch it again! On first viewing it was quite good imo. I liked how they went in a different direction than the original, both story-wise and visually. Ofc the old one is a classic but this is a really strong movie in its own right. I was very much pleased with it.

Had to turn off after 30 minutes. Some of the absolute worst crap I've ever seen, and this surely has to rank among the lowest and most boring, stupid and useless films of the 5500+ films and series that I've actually seen. Looked like shit, felt like shit and played along like the worst fucking diarrhea-driven piece of shit movie I've ever seen. And the dancing choreography? God awful, but sadly not as bad as the one in Showgirls where it becomes unintentionally hilarious and fun. This was just sad and pathetic. An absolute disgrace of a movie. Cancerous.

It's absolutely fantastic that Argento is man enough to come out and say what he thinks about the movie as well.

Hahahaha, just as I thought, Bear hated it.

I liked it, but I agree it veers too much in artsy territory and needless social commentary.

One Cut of the Dead - This low-budget, Japanese horror-comedy is the type of film that'll make every other director who've ventured into the sub-genre over the past 25-30 years to feel truly ashamed that they were nowhere near as creative, fun, innovativ, original, charming and fucking awesome as this. Made on a budget of something like $25000 with a cast of mostly inexperienced and new faces it shows what you can do with creativity, a cool but simple vision and will.

This is everything you could ever want from a horror comedy imo. Adds so much freshness into a sub-genre that's been pretty stale for a long time, and makes one of the most unique and original horror movies ever. Hands down a fucking masterpiece! Charming, funny, original, unique. Laughed out loud so many times, and I don't always do that when I sit along and watch movies with my midday coffee. Brilliant!

Btw, the details. Holy fucking christ is this movie detailed. Like, HOLY motherfucking FUCK is it detailed. Stunning!

That 37 minute long one take opening was breathtaking, and the path it took from there on and until the end was genius.

Edited by Bear

Haven't really been watching a lot of movies lately. But I finally watched:

HellFest - I'm super behind to only have watched this now, especially since I was excited about it before it came out. Oops. Sometimes life gets in the way.. This movie wasn't anything amazing or revolutionary, but if you like slashers, and I do, then I think you'll enjoy this one. Just a fun little flick with not much depth to it. My only gripe is that the protagonist was a little bit bland, I guess. I wish Tony Todd would've had more screentime too, but it was just a cameo after all.

Aterrados / Terrified - Great Argentinian horror movie with great atmosphere, creepy set pieces, interesting and good characters and lots of memorable scenes. Highly recommended!

Watched two Irish horror flicks recently with some friends. The Hole in the Ground reminded me a bit of The Babadook at times, quite unnerving and creepy now that I think about it. It wasn't perfect but I kinda enjoyed it. We also saw The Hallow which had more 'action' but overall it didn't grab me as much. The creature effects were neat tho, too bad we only saw short glimpses of them. Cool premise/concept too. It was an okay movie I guess.

The next day I watched the 1977 two-part BBC Count Dracula TV movie with a different set of friends. Supposedly this one's the most faithful adaptation of the source material (I can't tell cuz I've only just begun reading the novel). It was a fun experience, top-notch atmosphere and some memorable acting (and at times over-acting, lol) but watching both parts one after the other was maybe a bit of an overkill... we were kinda tired by the end, haha. Good stuff tho.

I actually liked The Hallow quite a lot. Very cool, folk-horror inspired flick. Flawed, but very entertaining.

The Count Dracula is the one with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay, right? If so it's fantastic!  Not the best Dracula movie/series, but really good nonetheless.

11 hours ago, Bear said:

The Count Dracula is the one with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay, right? If so it's fantastic!  Not the best Dracula movie/series, but really good nonetheless.

That's the one! When I first saw Jourdan as Dracula I was a bit sceptical but over the course of the movie he really won me over, great screen presence. Speaking of presence, Finlay was so awesome as Van Helsing, I loved him, accent and all.

Yeah, it's brilliant. A must for fans of Dracula, vampire movies and gothic horror in general. Amazing stuff, sadly overrated tho.

Edited by Bear

Re-watched The Rift yesterday. Don't think it was too long ago since I watched this. Think it was when I watched several other similar, underwater horror/sci-fi flicks like Leviathan, The Abyss, DeepStar Six and probably a few more. I enjoyed it even more now, because I changed the rating. Claustrophobic and with immense special effects. This movie is just awesome!

The Head Hunter - Made on a low budget with a cast of two, Jordan Downey shows he's a young and promising director who truly knows how to make a lot from little. Despite clocking in at only 70 minutes, The Head Hunter is a slow-burning horror fantasy set to the medieval ages and tells a story of a lone warrior who is looking to rid the world of dark forces, and more importantly revenge someone. Great atmosphere, great visuals and great effects. Looks really neat, and is superbly acted by a Norwegian named Christopher Rygh, a guy no-one, not even Norwegians, have heard of. 

Yeah, I thought this was brilliant, and I am tempted to call it unique and different. Great stuff!

Escape Room - Predictable and very familiar horror movie in the vein of Cube, Saw etc. Predictable, shallow and run of the mil-type of horror movie, but it's decent fun nonetheless.

Cube - While it does have some flaws, this film remains a proper motherfucking cult classic. The major flaws are the acting, dialogue and at times special effects, but the set design and overall intelligence just makes it absolutely stunning. It's just pure fucking brilliance from beginning to end. Stunning movie!

Intruder - Excellent, late 80's slasher that follows every single rule of the genre that was laid down from the mid 70's and up until 84, 85 before comedy took over for the atmosphere and suspense in slashers. Doesn't offer anything new, but if you're into slashers you should not miss out on this.

Neon Maniacs - Another one of those movies in the running for the title of 'most 80s horror film EVER'. It even culminates in a high school battle of the bands type of deal between a cheesy new wave band and a possibly even cheesier metal band. The plot is a total mess, the quality of the acting is.. dubious, NOTHING about the monsters makes any sense whatsoever (where did they come from? why are they the NEON maniacs? why are they weak against water? what's with the outfits?), but it's definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for some extreme cheese.

Fright Night Part II - I don't get why people seem to not like this one very much! As far as horror sequels go, I thought it was pretty damn solid. True, the plot is a little bit of a retread, and the original Fright Night was better, but it's still pretty damn entertaining! I kinda feel like the film got shafted by unfortunate circumstances surrounding its distribution, perhaps if things had gone differently it might've ended up more popular. I especially liked the big bad's gang of servants, they all had a ton of personality and were extremely fun to watch. That 'the villains go bowling' sequence was probably one of my favorite parts of the entire film. Again, this is a movie that's just simply fun. 

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

Neon ManiacsAnother one of those movies in the running for the title of 'most 80s horror film EVER'. It even culminates in a high school battle of the bands type of deal between a cheesy new wave band and a possibly even cheesier metal band. The plot is a total mess, the quality of the acting is.. dubious, NOTHING about the monsters makes any sense whatsoever (where did they come from? why are they the NEON maniacs? why are they weak against water? what's with the outfits?), but it's definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for some extreme cheese.

Not gonna lie, I fucking love this movie. It's just fucking fantastic. But they had a lot of problems during production of the film, with financial problems meaning they had to remove a lot of the script and drop a shit ton of stuff that probably would've made the movie make more sense, having to replace actors because of longer breaks in filming and stuff. It's also rumored that the backstory of the monsters, their motivations and origin and shit were in the original script but had to be cut due to all the problems they had. A shame, but even half-done I think the movie is just fantastic.