Pandabear

Horror Movies

Saw two films yesterday:

MV5BMTQ5Mjk5NTIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY0

Things

This film is quite often mentioned among the very worst horror films ever made, and it's hard to disagree with that. We're talking The Nail Gun Massacre- and Redneck Zombies-bad. In other words, the ultimate SO BAD IT'S GOOD-films. Apart from a couple of cheesy but good practical effects, this film is a huge turd entirely. But it's entertaining. It's dumb, stupid, slow, cheesy and awful. The direction, cinematography, acting, dialogue... it's all übershit, and it's all so great!

What makes this film so god damned awesome is the mixture of awful dialogue, acting and beyond awful voice acting (it's dubbed alright!)

This brilliant clip sums up the film. Watch it!

Halloween

I am talking about the original one, John Carpenter classic, and it's brilliant. Top 10 horror movies ever made. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is pitch perfect.

I'm a bit late to the party, but Tales of Halloween is a nice Halloween-themed film. Anthology consisting of 10 shorter films, where no less than 9 are good. Which is quite sensational as anthology films with 5+ tends to be very, very uneven. But this worked well and is a future Halloween classic.

Because of the lack of H.P. Lovecraft adaptions I figured I'd have to see some of the short films made, and I started yesterday:

Nyarlathotep (2001) - A very good and unusually faithful Lovecraft adaption that reallt hit the nail on its head. It's only 13 minutes long, but it does the job.

Available on youtube. 8/10

The Music of Erich Zann (1980) - It's only 17 minutes long, but this atmospheric piece is one of the better Lovecraft-adaptions I've seen so far. It's not the most faithful adaption out there, but it doesn't leave the trail either. The atmosphere is incredible, the actors does really, really well and it's all over really awesome. Really, really awesome! 9/10

Available on youtube.

The Music of Erich Zann (2010) - While not bad, this film is a bit lackluster. It clocks in at 27 minutes, is a B&W silent film with only young faces. Which is a problem for two reason: they're not talented enough as actors to drive the film forward by themself, they're not talented enough make-up artists, so the young man playing Erich Zann looks like shit. It's not bad, and I don't regret spending half an hour on this, but I wouldn't really recommend it. On the positive side it's got a bit of a campy feeling, though. I liked that. 6/10

Available on IMDB.

Will watch more today.

Damn, I was kinda disappointed with "Don't Breathe". It looked so promising. Fede Alvarez did a good job directing, but the movie just lacked that little spark to make it very good.

Cool Air (1999) - Nice, haunting and very faithful adaption that really hit the nail on its head. Superbly directed, very well-acted and a great atmosphere throughout the film. It's really slow with lots of dialogue, but it nicely takes its time to build its aura of eeriness and suspense. I give this 9 out of 10 tentacles. Excellent!

Torrented it. There was only one seed, but it's worth the time. Excellent! Excellent!

Most likely gonna see this one on Friday, being screened as part of a film festival in my town, anyone seen it?

That the new Jeremy Gillespie and Steven Kostanski flick? I've got my expectations up high for that film. Very promising directors, and The Void looks to be the film to take 'em up where they belong. Looks neat as fuck.

On 31.10.2016 at 6:45 AM, plastic_rainbow said:

Updating some movies that I saw.

I watched Insidious: Chapter 3 with my sisters and it seemed like a total waste of a sequel. I felt that it led more questions than answering them. Also, it's supposed to take place before the first film, but the connection felt so weak and pointless I kept getting confused. @Bear I think I know what funny scene you were talking about. It came out so randomly my sisters and I laughed, ahaha. xD I couldn't take the movie seriously and it was just a bad sequel imo. I hope they don't make another one.

They are making another one, but this time Adam Robitel is in charge. That's got me excited for sure, because his first feature film The Taking of Deborah Logan was very, very good. I'm interested to see what he'll be able to do with this universe.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

That the new Jeremy Gillespie and Steven Kostanski flick? I've got my expectations up high for that film. Very promising directors, and The Void looks to be the film to take 'em up where they belong. Looks neat as fuck.

Yep, it is!

I liked The Editor, and the trailer for this seemed cool as hell, so I'm looking forward to seeing it w/ my gf. Read in reviews that it's supposedly got a lot of neat pratical creature effects too.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

They are making another one, but this time Adam Robitel is in charge. That's got me excited for sure, because his first feature film The Taking of Deborah Logan was very, very good. I'm interested to see what he'll be able to do with this universe.

huh, that was fast. the third one released just last year didn't it? i'm not familiar with adam robitel though so i'm still feeling doubtful about this sequel. will just have to wait and see for more updates or trailers.

also, the costume for pennywise of It 2017 has been revealed. it was not what i was expecting and i am not sure what to think..........thoughts?

pennywise-ew-00054120.jpg

Edited by plastic_rainbow

The Taking of Deborah Logan was surprisingly really damn good, so I might have to give this new part a try in that case, even though Insidious 3 didnt sit very well with me.

Also that Pennywise design is fucking horrible, even the clowns from Killer Klowns from Outer Space look scarier (then again having a clown phobia is a fucking meme fear at this point anyway)

18 hours ago, Tokage said:

Most likely gonna see this one on Friday, being screened as part of a film festival in my town, anyone seen it?

Please let us know what you think! This looks terrific.

God damn it, i'm unable to go :))))))) fugggg , guess it's time to wait for the inevitable torrent...

hope i'll at least get a chance to see this fucking Troma-tier looking one later though:

MV5BMjk0MjMzMTI3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODEy

This film sure lived up to my MASSIVE expectations. It's a very 80's film and it reeks of Joe Dante, and more than anything Gremlins. Which is great of course. It's a nice blend of creepy, amospheric and tense moments, some funny ones and some heartwarming ones. Just like Gremlins in other words, just not quite as good. The special effects are mostly practical, but a few times they've gone with CGI and it's understandable. But it's decent CGI and doesn't take anything away from everything else. The cast is great, the film looks beautiful and it's simply a very, very good film. And Krampus looks amazing, and he is amazing. Real creepy, much because he's so darkly playful. Did I say that he looks amazing? The decision to not show his *beep* (that's a spoiler) is brilliant. Just gives him so much more aura and charisma.

There's also a small animated flashback scene that was insanely good. Absolutely stunning stuff, and a real treat to the eye.

And all this is topped off by one of the best endings I've ever seen. Perfect ending!

So yeah, what a fantastic film!

It's a shame about the PG-13 rating, though. This film would instantly have been much better with an R rating and more blood and gore. But it doesn't matter as this is brilliant nonetheless.

Watched Krampus and A Christmas Horror Story with my girlfriend this year, I enjoyed the HELL out of the former, really fun stuff, like  the previous post also states already. Really good stuff. Loved the atmosphere, the special effects, etc. Even the CGI killer cookies were fine

A Christmas Horror Story was... less good. Gf slept through part of it, I wasn't too impressed with the overall package either. Some of the segments had potential but were kind of ruined in the end. The santa / zombie elves part would've been 10x better if the actor playing sana wasn't so horrible. Krampus as he appears in this movie is like 100% less cool than he is in the other Krampus film as well... Lot of potntial here, but just didn't live up to it in the end.

So, top 10 Christmas horror movies, guys and girls? I'll start. (all movies are the original ones, unless other is stated)

Gremlins

Black Christmas

Rare Exports

Krampus

Silent Night, Bloody Night

Silent Night, Deadly Night

Tales from the Crypt - And All Through the House

À l'intérieur

Dead End

Night Train Murders

Anyone got any other films that's top notch and as good as these? I doubt it, but I am interested.

i also watched Krampus this year with my siblings and really enjoyed it! had a good laugh while also enjoying the storyline and special effects. it was better than it i thought it would be and was really worth the watch.

i haven't seen many christmas horrors yet, but Dead End was something i wanted to watch last year, except my siblings were not up for it.

i also had P2 (2007) in mind, but still haven't seen it yet either. it seems quite interesting as it's centered around Christmas Eve and not so much of Christmas Day or the holiday.

I'm very under-educated in terms of Xmas horror, but incidentally I have Krampus and Rare Exports lined up for watching tonight. :D 

À l'intérieur is pretty cool btw!

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale is something of a modern classic and a hidden gem imo. Imagine John Carpenter, Tim Burton and Joe Dante making a film together. It's like a mix of Carpenter-esque horror, Burton-esque fantasy and Dante-esque comedy. An instant classic!

Anyone seen Lights Out yet? I've only seen the short film which was great. David Sandberg is set to direct Annabelle 2. Annabelle was utter fucking garbage so I remain sceptical, but Sandberg looks like a very interesting director so I am interested.

And The Spierig Brothers who made the great sci-fi thriller Predestination are directing the upcomming Saw film, Saw: Legacy. I can't say I dig the Saw franchise, but the first one is excellent, the 2nd is good and 7th are decent too. Not really looking forward to it, but I'm interested for sure.

And talking about upcoming horror films, I am really looking forward to God Particle, the third installment in the Cloverfield franchise. I rewatched Cloverfield yesterday and I gotta admit it's aged very well. Works really well as both a found footage horror film and a kaiju film.

9 hours ago, Bear said:

Anyone seen Lights Out yet? I've only seen the short film which was great. David Sandberg is set to direct Annabelle 2. Annabelle was utter fucking garbage so I remain sceptical, but Sandberg looks like a very interesting director so I am interested.

And The Spierig Brothers who made the great sci-fi thriller Predestination are directing the upcomming Saw film, Saw: Legacy. I can't say I dig the Saw franchise, but the first one is excellent, the 2nd is good and 7th are decent too. Not really looking forward to it, but I'm interested for sure.

And talking about upcoming horror films, I am really looking forward to God Particle, the third installment in the Cloverfield franchise. I rewatched Cloverfield yesterday and I gotta admit it's aged very well. Works really well as both a found footage horror film and a kaiju film.

I saw Lights Out and it was overhyped in my opinion. The movie runs pretty generic from my viewpoint and I won't spoil it for you but out of 10 it gets a 4.5-5/10 (from me).

Nothing wrong with generic as far as I see it. You're talking to someone who loves 49/50 slasher movies made back in the mid-/late-70's and 80's. And as we all know, 98% of these films are generic as hell. Which is not a problem for me at all.

I'm not gonna be a complete dickhead, but sou should never reveal a twist if there is one. Just saying a film has a twist is a huge spoiler.