Pandabear

Horror Movies

Frankenstein Created Bikers - Old school exploitation flick by James Bickert, and sort of a sequel to his earlier film Dear God No!. And just like Dear God No! it's cheap and trashy and pretty fun. He clearly knows his exploitation and knows exactly what an exploitation fan wants, but he's trying a bit hard to give us more than we need. Clocking in at more than two hours I'll go as far as to say it's half an hour too long. Which is a shame, because there's plenty to enjoy here, and I sure did have fun. But it should have been better.

Looking forward to his women in prison movie Amazon Hot Box tho. Should be fun.

Currently watching the entire A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Five movies in now:

A Nightmare on Elm Street - 10/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge - 8/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - 9/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - 8/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child - 8/10

Generally a lot better than I remembered, especially part 2, 4 and The Dream Child. While not all of them deliver great stories with great plots and fleshed out characters, they do deliver loads and loads of fun and insane special effects. The creativity level is generally 10/10. Gorgeous stuff!

On 3/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Tokage said:

what the absolute fuck is this lmao

the level of weirdness in this reminds me so much of siren lmao

I've been on a Jean Rollin kick lately and I thought The Grapes of Death was really good. Great atmosphere and some good gore thrown around. That one, including The Iron Rose, might be my favorite of his. Also really enjoyed Lips of Blood, it had such a fairytale like feel to it. Last night I watched Zombie Lake and either I just have really bad tastes, but I didn't think it was as bad as the rating people give. Alright, there's a lot of nude in this one, it begins with a 4-minute nude scene, and then later a 4-minute sex scene and it doesn't quite stop there. Even the way the zombies attack people look almost erotic sometimes. But I enjoyed the father and daughter reunion bit and that was enough to make up for all the issues going on in the film for me.

Jean Rollin is really good in general if you're into slow-burning, dreamy and sleazy lesbo-vampire flicks, as those are his best. Great Eurotrash! I feel like he's slept on, and it's a shame. The dreamy, surrealistic atmospheres he creates are pretty damn unique and un-matched tbh.

I feel like the main problem with Zombie Lake, aside from the fact that it's pretty bad, albeit fun, is that it's a really, really poor man's Shock Waves. And Shock Waves had Peter Cushing and John Carradine. Sock Waves ia a b/c-movie, Zombie Lake is a z-movie. Such a huge difference in quality. But Zombie Lake is fun. But not the stuff I'd recommend from Jean Rollin.

1 hour ago, plastic_rainbow said:

the level of weirdness in this reminds me so much of siren lmao

Honestly - I can kind of see it (especially once you reach the point where the enemies transition from simple 'zombies' into whatever tf they turn into)

Just watched The Platform (El hoyo) on Netflix. I was really looking forward to it and it sure delivered. If you like movies like Cube, you'll definitely enjoy this too.

42 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Just watched The Platform (El hoyo) on Netflix. I was really looking forward to it and it sure delivered. If you like movies like Cube, you'll definitely enjoy this too.

Sounds awesome. Will watch this tomorrow for sure.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - The sixth in the franchise is by far the silliest and most comedic of them all, but it's way better than I remembered and much better than what most seems to think. It's on the sillier side, with Freddy acting like a clown most of the time. But it's all fun, and the creativity is nice. 7/10

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - It's been no less than ten years since genius director/writer Wes Craven made the original A Nightmare on Elm Street, and he returned to the franchise with a BOOM. This is a bit like a spin-off as it doesn't take part of the lore itself, but this is meta horror at it's finest and the second best in the franchise. It's so different, so special and so unique, and it's full of great atmospheric, a superb story, great characters, some amazing (and some dated) effects and just brilliance throughout. This movie is slept on for sure. What a film!!! 9/10

11 hours ago, Bear said:

I feel like the main problem with Zombie Lake, aside from the fact that it's pretty bad, albeit fun, is that it's a really, really poor man's Shock Waves. And Shock Waves had Peter Cushing and John Carradine. Sock Waves ia a b/c-movie, Zombie Lake is a z-movie. Such a huge difference in quality. But Zombie Lake is fun. But not the stuff I'd recommend from Jean Rollin.

I've read several comparisons to Shock Waves while reading reviews, but haven't seen it myself. I'll check it out sometime. And I agree, Zombie Lake is a film one should avoid unless they're a diehard Jean Rollin fan or something. I was actually surprised it was one of his films because it didn't look like his kind of stuff.

Aye, but there's a big story behind it and for years upon years the denied he was the director of the movie as he used an alias. But he's just really embarrassed by the movie, which I can understand. But fans of sleaze and cheap eurotrash has taken it to their hearts, which is a good thing.

17 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Yeah, this was really cool. Am I totally off if I say this movie was like Cube meets Snowpiercer meets High-Rise? Well, Snowpiercer is the horizontal High-Rise, and High-Rise is the vertical Snowpiercer. So Cube meets Snowpiercer/High-Rise, I guess is more accurate.

Anyway, awesome movie. Got a message, got violence, blood and gore, got some hilarious moments etc. Thanks for the recommendation!

@Bear Glad you enjoyed it! "Cube meets Snowpiercer" was exactly my thought too, haha.

Also, not really "horror movie" but related: I've been watching In Search of Darkness, such a huge and great documentary! Everyone who is into '80s horror will love this, guaranteed. What's also pretty cool is that introduced/reminded me of stuff I haven't checked out yet (so I watched Sleepaway Camp this week, fun flick!). I still haven't finished the doc cuz it's over 4 hours long but still it's a big fat 10/10.

37 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

@Bear Glad you enjoyed it! "Cube meets Snowpiercer" was exactly my thought too, haha.

Also, not really "horror movie" but related: I've been watching In Search of Darkness, such a huge and great documentary! Everyone who is into '80s horror will love this, guaranteed. What's also pretty cool is that introduced/reminded me of stuff I haven't checked out yet (so I watched Sleepaway Camp this week, fun flick!). I still haven't finished the doc cuz it's over 4 hours long but still it's a big fat 10/10.

Yes! It's amazing. Next year he'll release In Search of Tomorrow, which will be the same but about sci-fi movies. I can't wait!

Look out for In Search of the Last Action Heroes as well. Not as good, and much of that due to only being half as long, but totally recommended if you like 80 and 90's action.

There's popped up a lot of cool documentaries about horror, action and exploitation film these last 10 years. Really looking forward to seeing Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini and Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror too. Looks neat!

The Invisible Man - Fucking Leigh Whannell, man. Made his directorial debut in 2015 with Insidious: Chapter 3, a movie that just didn't hold up at all. Despite having a budget that was higher than both Insidious and Insidious 2 combined, it looked a lot cheaper than both of them, it felt cheaper and it just wasn't a very good movie at all. At that point I kinda gave up on him as a director. Then three years later he comes back with his second movie, Upgrade, a movie made on half the budget of Insidious: Chapter 3 and which I only checked out because of the awesome poster, but which looks like a billion motherfucking bucks with one incredibly memorable scene after another. It's a movie that managed to bring a lot of originality to how we can film and create action scenes. An absolute masterpiece of a movie, and close to perfect. Two years later and he's back, this time with a new adaption of H.G. Wells classic novel The Invisible Man. This was adapted already back in 1933, a movie which is a masterpiece, so I was a bit sceptical to this, but he nails it. Superbly written, shot, acted and played out, despite a somewhat cheap look to it. There's something about the colour palette that just feels a bit off. But other than that I thought it was really cool. Intense, suspenseful, atmospheric and just really cool. Recommended for sure.

Papá Wrestling - As I am eagerly awaiting Fernando Alle's new movie Mutant Blast I just felt like re-watching some of his earlier work and ended up on Papá Wrestling. 9 minutes of proper absurdity and LOL-moments. It's as hilarious as it's over the top and bananas. Fantastic short film.

Alucarda - That's the good shit. Satanic panic horror from the '70s that's just oozing with atmosphere. Very beautifully shot, the set design is amazingly well done and anyone who's into the atmospheric gothic horror stuff will surely love it just for the visuals alone. The plot itself is just the usual 'demonic corruption' stuff that's been done to death by now, but the somewhat dreamlike manner in which everything is presented makes it work anyway. There's the occasional bout of overacting that veers a bit too far into the 'too silly for its own good' territory, but overall this one's definitely well worth watching. 

A Night of Horror: Nightmare Radio - A fun little anthology movie with 8 short films where creators Nicolás and Luciano Onetti and picked 8 already existing short films and made a wrap-around story about a radio DJ who tells scary stories. It's a bit up and down of course, but a fun ride where the best shorts were superb.

In the Dark Dark Woods... only clocks in at about four minutes, but was by far my favourite out of the eight. Really cool, stylish and atmospheric.

The Smiling Man and Into the Mud were second best. Both really awesome. The Smiling Man was pretty creepy to be honest.

The most disappointing one was The Disappearance of Willie Bingham, and the fact that the non-english speaking shorts were not subbed. Which sucked.

It really is about time I check out Luciano Onetti's movies.  Sonno Profondo, Francesca and Abrakadabra have been pretty high up on my watchlist since they were released, simply because I am a sucker for giallos. Will hunt them down for sure now. Btw, check out the posters for Francesca, Abrakadabra and his upcoming film El pulpo negro. Looks NEAT as hell.

ElPulpoNegro.JPG

MV5BODdmODQ3OGEtMjMwZS00M2E3LThjMjMtNWMy

Francesca-2015-movie-Luciano-Onetti-6.jp

MV5BZWZiYTMyYzYtZDA0Ny00Yjk3LThmNmMtZmFj

One Must Fall - Cool and fun slasher-comedy. It's bloody and violent, it's funny, it's sleazy and it's both suspenseful and charming. What the hell more do you need? Nothing really. I thought  this was really awesome. I hope people check it out cuz it deserves some attention for sure.

The Hunt - Horror? Thriller? Action? Well, who knows. I'll satirical action-horror-comedy. It's caused a bit of a fuzz because of its portrayal of American left vs right, but as I see it it doesn't really take a stand. It's kinda criticizing both sides and how both sides reacts to things and takes much out of context to cause a fuzz. Anyway, as an apolitical I really appreciated its super cheesy characters, cool, stylish and bloody violence and humour. Turn your brain off and just appreciate this awesome action-horror-comedy. Fuck politics!

Edited by Bear

RIP to Stuart Gordon, who apparently passed away on March 24th :( Another absolute legend gone

The Last Days on Mars - Cool, claustrophobic sci-fi horror in the vein of Alien, Europa Report, Event Horizon etc. It's cool and all, but was lacking just something. Not atmospheric enough maybe? ANyway, not nearly as bad as most seem to think.

Life - Another, Alien-esque movie with claustrophobic elements. This too was cool, but it lacked just something extra. The alien did not get to me at all. It simply wasn't cool enough looking. But aside from that it was cool.

he Mummy - The 1959 Terence Fisher classic. It carries all the traits of a Terence Fisher, and as one of the greatest directors ever that's just awesome. Beautiful sets, beautifully shot, gorgeous colours, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee etc. It's pretty much perfect. Fantastic movie!

Rabid - Not the original one, but the 2019 remake by the Soska Sisters. I was optimistic about this back when I first heard about the remake, but ultimately I didn't enjoy much of it. Some fun scenes and ideas, but overall I was either bored or annoyed at what was happening. Not even the visual effects were particularly memorable (some only for their lameness). The ending and the scene leading up to it was complete Z-movie garbage. At least one positive thing this movie achieved: made me wanna re-watch the original, lol.