Pandabear

Horror Movies

The Blob - The remake, which also happens to be one of the best remakes ever. It's just top notch from start to finish. Lovely atmosphere, TOP NOTCH special effects that has truly stood the test of time. This is mindblowing!

The Stuff - This film is a bit in the vein of The Blob, but it's more lighthearted and comedic than The Blod. It's fun and really damn good. Great film!

Invasion of the Blood Farmers - So bad it's good from the early 70's. This shit's hilarious and really entertaining. Recommended if you like crap.

Man with the Screaming Brain - Directed, co-written and starring none of than Bruce Campbell in his directorial debut. This isn't a masterpiece, but it's fun for what it is and if you're into silly 60's sci-fi flick with mad scientists and shit then this is for you. This was very entertaining, albeit far from his best movie in modern time. Can't be compared to movies like My Name Is Bruce and Bubba Ho-Tep , but then again they're complete masterpieces and can't really be compared to anything. Unique and amazing movies.

It's funny how anyone can barely make remakes watchable nowadays, while back in the 70's and 80's we got remakes such as The Thing, The Fly, The Blod, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and more that's more or less equal to the original ones. Different, but with the same feeling and atmosphere. Incredible! And guess what, these practical special effects have stood the rest of time. People who say they're dated and shit need to open their eyes and shut the fuck up. Do you want to know a movie or two whos special effects has not dated as well as this? The Avengers: Endgame and The Wandering Earth, and they were released in 2019, but the special effects already feel more dated than these practical effects from the 80's. That's the problem with special effects that's CGI-driven, as opposite to practical and real.

Body Melt - Another "melt movie" (like The Blob, The Stuff, Street Trash) and like The Blod and The Stuff this is just fantastic. It's a cheap,  satirical Ozploitation flick that's immensely fun and filled with gorgeous special effects. Really fucking awesome!

Tomorrow I'm gonna re-watch Slime City and watch a new one, Mold!, from 2012. Looking forward to it. Shame there's not more melt movies out there. Such a badass concept.

Slime City - Another melt movie, this one a cult classic from 1988. Absolutely awesome movie, similar to Street Trash. Got that same cheap vibe, but also at the same time  it shares the crazy weirdness and awesome special effects. Amazing movie! Highly recommended if you like stuff like Street Trash. I need to find the sequel. Not seen it yet. Released something like 25 years later.

Society - Film debut of Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III , Necronomicon) and probably his best movie, at least on par with Necronomicon which is an anthology shared with two other directors. This is a satire and a very well-made one, but the highlight is with no doubt the ending. Special effect-o-rama. Fucking hell, that's some gorgeous special effects. Holds up today. Nutty shit. Recommend!

Mold! - This was a bit of a disappointment. It's got that awful modern look to it, and it doesn't always work for me in low-budget movies. It needs to look and feel a little less digital. Had some highlight, but it's a bit too long too. Should've been trimmed 25-35 minutes tbh.

Monster on the Campus - Late 50's sci-fi horror that's basically a Dr. Jekyll og Mr. Hyde-type of movie, made by none other than the legend that is Jack Arnold (It Came from Outer Space, The Incredible Shrinking Man), so it's made by a man who knows his stuff. Far from his best movie, but this wasn't bad at all. It focuses on the human side of things, instead of the monsterous side and that makes it feel kinda fresh. Nothing special, but fun.

Nightbreed - Awfully underrated and overlooked Clive Barker fantasy-horror that's just fucking stunning from start to finish, with brilliant atmosphere, gorgeous special effects and a great, original story. The entire movie feels a bit like X-Men gone horror with strong The Lost Boys vibes all over the place. Brilliant stuff!

Rondo - Not sure if I should post this here or in the other thread, but it balances perfectly between art horror and art thriller. It's a very dramatic pulp noir revenge movie which is slow as fuck, weird as fuck and just...fucking weird. Yeah, it's weird as fuck. It twists and turns from beginning to end, got a strong 60's and 70's exploitation vibe from it's oddball characters, weird and unique setting, corny but amazing dialogue and visual style. This is gonna become a cult movie for sure, and I hope a lot of people take their time to watch it.

Ending spoiler:

The last 6 minutes were among the best 6 minutes I've seen from a new movie in a long, long time. That shit was gorgeous and a real god damned pleasure to the eye. Holy motherfucking fuck!

By the way, did I say that it was weird?

The Hoard - A fun little horror comedy that's absolutely worth your time. Silly as fuck, but it's really fun.

Pumpkinhead - Debut film by Stan Winston made on a fairly low budget in the late 80's, and an absolute classic of a film. Highly underrated and slightly hidden gem with some brilliant special effects, a fantastic monster and a great plot. I absolutely adore the monster design, but to people's big surprise it has nothing to do with a pumpkin. Where it's buried however, does. Must see!

The Music Box - This movie feels a bit like an international movie with people from all "across the world" in the roles, as well as an Italian director. A bit like they did in the 60's, 70's and 80's in Italy, but back then they just dubbed everything so it was fine. Here they all speak english and a lot of them seem so uncomfortable in their roles, and the acting are for most part stiff as hell. Story is decent and all, but the acting just didn't do the movie any favors. Skip.

The Perfection - Smart, fun and twisted horror movie that does a lot right. I ain't gonna say much about it other than that it is recommended, because as soon as you watch a trailer or read a plot synopsis you've ruined the best part of the experience. Recommended! Netflix acquired the rights to it too, so it's available there.

Book of Monsters - Fun little low-budget b-movie with a lot of homages to previous horror movies. It was made and financed by a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, and the cool thing is that the people who donated got to help decide the creature designs. That's very cool! They also got to vote on one of the characters and what he was supposed to be. 

Not the best movie overall, but cool monster design and loads of practical special effects does help a lot. Another cool thing where the obvious homage to classics via the monsters.It was six of them all in all.

The masked slasher villain, a beast, critter, shapeshifter, abomination and yurei. You'll recognize these from movies like Friday the 13th, An American Werewolf in London, Critters, Alien, The Thing and Ringu. Cool shit indeed.

The Funhouse - Very cool early 80's slasher by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). Great atmosphere, good setting and nice acting. Not one of the best slashers in the 80's, but top notch nonetheless.

It Came from Outer Space - mid 50's horror sci-fi classic that's just...awesome. It's really cool and feels almost surreal at times. It's not Jack Arnold's best movie, and it doesn't really come close to Tarantula or Creature from the Black Lagoon , but it's as gooas e.g Boss Nigger and The Incredible Shrinking Man. Must-see for fans of 50's sci-fi.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space - This just has to be one of the coolest horror-comedies, or sci-fi comedies ever, all depends on what genre you want to put it in. It's goofy, fun, terrifying, hilarious, charming and whatever positive words you can think of. The creativity, the visual style, special effects and rubber suits, the soundtrack, the acting. Everything's just awesome. It's also incredibly original and unique even to this day.

The Cleaning Lady - A surprising, slow-burning horror that are sure to both creep you out and catch you off guard. Twisted shit. I kinda got a bit of a Audition feeling from it, although it's very different.

Us - Another solid, but incredibly overrated Jordan Peele. There's not really a lot of flaws here, but I feel like it's way too long and it's too disjointed. Would've been a much better horror movie if it was shorter. Would've made it more suspenseful, more intens and more fun. As good as Get Out. Lupita Nyong'o are truly brilliant tho. Like outstanding. That is a 10/10 performance on all levels. Hands down!

Ghost Squad - Everyone who's been slightly active in this or the Japanese movie thread knows I'm a huge fan of the new wave of J-splatter movies, with Noboru Iguchi being one of the more known of them. He's the genius behind movies such as The Machine Girl, Mutant Girls Squad, RoboGeisha, Zombie Ass and Dead Sushi, so my expectations were high. And they got even higher after the wonderful trailer. But I was disappointed. It was way too long (could've been cut by 30 minutes tbh), far from absurd enough and it lacked that complete and utter weirdness that his movies usually got, and he put way too much time and effort into the serious side of the movie. It's actually got a decent, emotional story behind it all. But it's not what I want to see when I put on a movie like this. I want to watch shit that makes me go WTF for 90 minutes.

I want this shit:

e5daf0dcf57fe1de0cd5c28b5541f204703e7e20

tumblr_mffowjdQAa1rmjc1po2_400.gif

f4beb68540c5bf5d84d28592f05d32d44c0626c2

Meatball-Machine-2005-1.gif

The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre - This one is directed by Joseph Stefano who produced The Outer Limits with the thought og making a new series in the vein of The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone, but with more emphasis on horror than sci-fi and fantasy. However, the original pilot, which went under the name The Haunted, was not picked up because it was deemed too scary and disturbing for TV so they added some footage and released it as a movie. And it's easy to understand why, because at times it's fucking terrifying. It's a slow-burning, atmospheric piece of haunted house cinema and it's gorgeous. A must see for fans of the genre.

The Whip and the Body - Classic Mario Bava picture. Gothic horror that's all about the gorgeous setting and amazing atmosphere, as well as Christopher Lee. I really enjoy this film, and I don't know how you can be a fan of gothic fiction and not like it. The atmosphere, man. THE ATMOSPHERE!

A Quiet Place - Well-directed, superbly-acted and with loads of story and heart. A Quiet Place has been seen as really original and fresh, taking new twists and turns to a familiar genre. Then comes Bird Box with a similar plot, although based on a book written long before this was thought off, and shit was off the hook with people moaning about this and that. Fair enough, as the world is full of idiots anyway. It's a good film and all, and I can see where the hype comes from and why. I do. But I was left disappointed. And the main reason why is the aliens that looked like shit, acted like shit and just didn't make much sense overall.

A Quiet Place has got the drama and heart, but Bird Box has the horror and suspense and being a horror fans, horror always wins over drama. And the main reason why Bird Box is so much more intense and scary than A Quiet Place, is because you don't get to see the monster. You only get to see a few drawings which are all way, way different. Such a simple thing. But as well all know, the unknown is much scarier than the known.

Not a bad film. In fact, it was really good. Just not quite Bird Box. Fuck the Bird Box haters btw.

Puppet Master 4 - Puppet Master 4 takes a different twist and the puppets turn...good! Yeah, they're good and fight demon puppets from hell. Cool enough, but not as good as the previous movies. The demon puppets however looks AMAZING, they feel amazing to the eye and all that. They're totally badass.

Puppet Master 5 - A pure continuation of the fourth, starting just days after and shot back to back with the same actors and such. This was a bit cooler than 4, but more or less the same. Sadly not as many demon puppets, but the one we got is amazing. A thing of beauty tbh.

Curse of the Puppet Master - Fans of the franchise ofte say this is the best one, but I disagree. Worst of the first 6, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Better than its IMDB score for sure.

This franchise is so cool, but very different from what I remembered.

I live for slashers i.e. Scream, but my favorite Japanese horror is the original One Missed Call; the effect more palpable because immediately after in the middle of the night the phone rang and the caller ID was blank. It goes without saying that I didn't pick it up.

Brain Dead (1990): Yooo, this is an extremely underrated film! I went in knowing next to nothing about it and I ended up very pleasantly surprised. This fits right into the category of existential mindfuck movies like eXistenZ, The Thirteenth Floor, Videodrome, Jacob's Ladder etc. in my opinion, it's a wild ride that keeps throwing new surreal turns and twists at you. Not gonna give anything away about the plot because I might end up inadvertently spoiling something, instead I'll just say that if you enjoyed any of those four  films I listed previously, you'll probably dig this one.

Retro Puppet Master - The year is 1999 and the franchise is still going strong. Or, it's going at least. Greg Sestero, best known for his role in The Room and as a friend of Tommy Wiseau, stars in his first lead. James Franco also auditioned, but didn't get a role. Anyway, the story of what happened to Tommy Wiseau is a lot more interesting and better than the movie itself. Because this is by far the worst in the franchise so far. Not even enjoyable. Even the retro dolls are boring, both by look and how they're used.

The story about Greg Sestero and Tommy Wiseau, really is. So both were trying to get a role in Hollywood at the moment when Greg Sestereo landed this, and as he had to spend time on set Tommy Wiseau got really sad and alone, and slowly went into some kind of a depression. And this is how he eventually went on to write The Room. Weird shit. Amazing!

I used the search and didn't at least catch this having been mentioned, so:

The House that Jack Built (2018)

I found this movie to be extremely fascinating. It's weird. But at the same time... well I'm rather bad at gathering my thoughts sometimes, but very simply put I liked this movie. The story is intriguing and the acting is great. While it's "brutal" in a sense, disturbed even, it still manages to have a touch of comedy mixed in that fits in with the insanity. 

The movie is kind of in five stories+the ending conclusion, the setup feels weird initially but I think it all works in the end and piece by piece you get a better image of what kind of person this Jack is and how he's grown into who he is across the years.  It's also, which I would imagine people come to think of straight away since I did, Dante's Inferno at the base. Which I very much enjoyed.

It's like something I've never quite stumbled upon before

Nightmare Cinema - I downloaded this movie only because the poster where fucking awesome. Didn't read about it or anything like that. Download > watch straight away. What kind of a movie is it? It is an anthology horror movie with five different directors. Two whom I'd call legends and cult figures of horror, one I'd call excellent, one promising one and one I'd call...mostly useless.

The wrap-around story is called The Projectionist and is directed by Mick Garris (Sleepwalkers, Critters 2) and starring none other than legend and cult actor Mickey Rourke. Sadly this is underdeveloped, but it does the job.

The first proper segment is called The Thing in the Woods and are directed Alejandro Brugués (Juan of the Dead) and is by far the best segment. Hilarious, exciting, bloody and gory. 9/10

The second segment is called Mirari and are directed by legend Joe Dante (Gremlins, The Howling) and are underdeveloped. Poorly directed and edited. Could've been something good, but the editing really ruins it. Richard Chamberlain is a brilliant casting tho. 5/10

The third segment is called Mashit and are directed by cult hero Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus, Aragami, Azumi) but is a total waste. Awfully written, acted and directed. A huge meh! 4/10

The fourth segment is called This Way to Egress and are directed by David Slade (Hard Candy, 30 Days of Night ) are are the second best of the movie. A slow-burning, weird and chilling tale in black and white. Gorgeous stuff! 9/10

The fifth segment is called Dead and are directed by Mick Garris. A total waste of time really. Poorly acted and written. 4/10.

Overall I'd give this 7/10. Always enjoy the ride despite the quality of the short movies.

Fubar (Killer Weekend) - Horror comedy that has been described as The Inbetweeners meets Tucker and Dale vs Evil, and it's kinda fitting. It's low-budget and all, but I thought it was hilarious as hell throughout. Not at all what I expected and I kept getting surprised throughout which is a very good thing. Very awesome!

The Night Sitter - Horror comedy that feels a bit like a darker, supernatural The Babysitter. Not quite as good, but still very awesome. Recommended as well.

Halloween at Aunt Ethel's - Aside from some nice tits this was a complete and utter waste of time. It's a horror comedy without horror and without comedy. Skip!

The Isle - Beautiful and slow-burning folk-horror that's like more like a fairytale than a standard, suspenseful horror movie. I thought it was really good. I would've cut out one scene that took some away from the story, but other than that I really liked it. Conleth Hill (Lord Varys of Game of Thrones) delivers his usual excellent.

The Endless - Sort of a sequel, but not really a sequel, to the excellent indie horror Resolution from 2012. It's directed by and starring Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead who also directed and had roles in Resolution, albeit smaller roles. And a lot of the same characters appears. Really cool film. I do recommend watching Resolution first. Both films are excellent. These guys also directed the gorgeous Spring which I also heavily recommend. Justin Benson also writes these movies.

Hellraiser: Bloodline - The fact that this franchise keeps getting screwed over by the executives is a fucking travesty, I still have a lot of love for the original two films (more for the first than the second tho), but it feels like every subsequent sequel just gets marred down by various degrees of fuckery from above. I feel like this could've been one of the better (or at least more interesting) installments in the franchise if the creators were actually given free reign to make it into the trilogy it was originally envisioned as instead of cramming in all the flashback stuff that takes up like 75% of the film in its current form, leaving the ''dude it's hellraiser IN SPACE'' setting feeling completely superfluous. Still, it IS fun in a schlocky kind of way, but you can really tell that this one had a rough time on the cutting room floor with how crammed together the entire thing feels in my opinion, and I can DEFINITELY see why Barker chose to wash his hands of the franchise after this one

dont like horror movies though recently watched the shining for the first time and was kinda disappointed. didnt lived up to its hype.

3 hours ago, FOSCOR70 said:

dont like horror movies though recently watched the shining for the first time and was kinda disappointed. didnt lived up to its hype.

Kubrick's movie or Stephen King's miniseries? The Stephen King version is soooo much better

Hahaha! You're kidding, right? It might follow the source material closer, but as far as acting, dialogue, direction, cinematography and so on it's not even close. Worse in every single way.

With that said, I like the miniseries. But it's obviously not even close to the movie as far as quslity, atmosphere and basically everything else goes.

I don't know, for some reason Kubrick's version just never really did it for me. I always thought that Jack Nicholson was great in the movie, but overall I've felt it's a bit overrated. 

I will however admit that these opinions do stem from a much younger me that hasn't revisited the case. I should watch Kubrick's again, I suppose it's possible I'd appreciate it more now. But, in the end, it's all subjective anyway!

Knuckleball - For some reason this seems to have been going under the radar of basically anyone. And it's a shame, because this was really cool. Balances nicely between horror and thriller, builds plenty suspense and is really tense. Great acting all around as well. Recommended!

Brightburn - Reception for this hasn't been very good, but I really fucking liked it and hope it spawns a sequel or two. It takes a story most of us know very, very, very well and just twist, turn and smash it into something we've always dreamt of seeing. Excellent stuff! Superhero horror.

I thought we'd just get a dark superhero film which was violent as fuck and shit, but this is just a dark and twisted superman who turned out really bad. Gotta love that.

Jigsaw - Saw 3D was supposed to be the last movie in the series, but of course they could not keep their hands away as they knew this would be easy money. Jigsaw is not the worst in the series, and not even close. It's better than Saw III, Saw IV, Saw V and Saw VI, but it just doesn't add anything good or positive to the series. It's more of the same, tries to be smart but fails most of the time and just isn't as cruel, crazy or intense as it should be. A meh.

The Dead Don't Die - New horror comedy by Jim Jarmusch, and the film feels very Jim Jarmusch-ish. It was cool, but it lacked humour and/or horror. It just feels a bit too laidback and easy-going. The most impressive things about the movie is the amazing poster, the cool country theme song and the cast which is no less than insane. Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Chloë Sevigny, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, Tom Waits, Danny Glover, RZA, Selena Gomez, Larry Fessenden and more.