Pandabear

Horror Movies

10 hours ago, Bear said:

I'm not gonna be a complete dickhead, but sou should never reveal a twist if there is one. Just saying a film has a twist is a huge spoiler.

I guess... although I didn't even tell you what happened in the film and you may have a different perspective on the ending of the film. So I don't see it as that. 
I could but I won't go ahead and tell you about the entire film. You're welcome.

Syre you didn't, but a twist can make or break a film, and a twist in itself is usually considered a huge surprise. It should be something totally unexpected. When you know there's a twist you know something else will happen, and that things isn't what they seem to be. That means that even if you don't know exactly what is gonna happen, you know something is gonna happen. And that is in fact a huge spoiler. Revealing that there's a twist is something that will make a lot of people look for the twist (because we already know its coming), which again makes it easier for us to reveal and see the twist before it's actually appeared.

A spoiler can be a lot more than just revealing an important plot element. A spoiler is synonymous with "something you'd like to find out yourself", and a twist is exactly that to me. The best twists are the ones I don't see coming at all, not even knowing they are about to come, even if I know nothing about what.

But anyhow, that's just my opinion. Like. Yeah. Mine.

Watched a bunch of stuff recently.

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Believe it or not, I've only ever seen the 3rd movie of the franchise, so I thought it was high time to see the rest too. xD This was pretty cool, well done special effects and nice atmosphere. Good wholesome fun.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: This seemed a bit more cheesy than the first movie, but was still okay. Some of the acting is a little cringey but entertaining nonetheless. I've lost interest towards the end, but again, nice special effects and mood.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe: Solid stuff that managed to keep things interesting for a long time. I feel like they could've done more with the last 20-30 mins, but overall this was a pretty killer ride. Very cool atmosphere and pacing, and some nice creepy stuff.

Bite: It surprises me how many "woman gets infected somehow and now her body is doing weird stuff" themed movies there are currently, not that I'm complaining. It's just that this one wasn't particularly good. It had its moments, but I got completely bored by the second half, so I was just randomly fast-forwarding. Meh.

Tank 432: This started off in a pretty cool and mysterious way and managed to maintain that vibe through most of the movie, but I was kinda let down gradually as it came to a close. Kinda underwhelming but not bad I guess.

Emelie: Can't say much about this one. It was good. Recommended.

I've watched a bunch of stuff recently as well:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe: Watched this a few days ago together with my girlfriend. It was screened at a festival here back in November, but we were both so busy w/ school at the time we didn't have the time to travel halfway across the country to reach the town it was screened in :v Overall, my thoughts basically echo @Jigsaw9's on this one. The overall idea seems pretty novel to me. Basically, the plot of the film deals with the autopsy of a mysterious woman found in a basement at a mass-murder scene.. Pretty quickly, it becomes clear there is more to this Jane Doe than meets the eye and shit starts going south. The atmosphere in the first 2/3rds of the film is genuinely quite well done. Unfortunately, it falls into the dreaded 'last act' pitfall that plagues a lot of horror films, where the movie sort of collapses in on itself once the actual mystery/'monster' is revealed. Still, the buildup was good, the soundtrack and the acting are good, and I especially enjoyed Brian Cox's performance in the role of the older coroner. Overall I'd rate it like ~7/10 or something like this

The Cabin in the Woods: Rewatched this for the first time since it came out yesterday cuz it was on my girlfriend's watchlist. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. Despite already knowing all the twists in the plot, I still had a good time because there's just so may background details you don't catch on a first viewing. If there's still people out there who HAVEN'T seen this somehow... Go watch it with as little background knowledge as possible, you'll probably enjoy it. The only 'criticism' I have is that the film sometimes seems to think it's a bit TOO clever for its own good, but otherwise... yeah, this appeals to my inner creature obsession. 8.5/10

Freaks of Nature: Dumb horror-comedy (though it felt like there was more comedy than horror imo) set in an universe where humans, vampires and zombies (to some extent peacefully) coexist. That is, until aliens invade. Somehow the movie felt very '80s to me, possibly due to the whole small town high school setting and all that. It's still very modern, however, with all the aliens being done in CGI for the most parts. There's a couple of pretty entertaining jokes and bits here and there, as well as an equal amount of horribly cliche stuff. Personal highlight is probably Bob Odenkirk as the main character's flakey stoner dad. I'd say it's worth watching if you're in the mood for some light-hearted fun stuff, but it certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel in any way. 5.8/10

As far as 2016 horror goes, I also added the following to my backlog:

10 Cloverfield Lane (not 100% horror i guess)

Before I Wake (also not 100% horror but w/e)

Don't Breathe

Hush

Lights Out

The Conjuring 2

The Greasy Strangler

They're Watching

Edited by Tokage

I re-watched 'The Boy'  -  This is more of a suspense movie, rather than full on horror. It's quiet until it nears the end, when shit hits the fan. I loved the twist here, but the characters brought this movie down for me. There's only one jumpscare for those who hate this kind of thing, I would recommend this movie! 7/10

As Above, So Below - I loved the concept of this movie, it was almost artistic in a way as the story goes on. It plays around with historical, religious and mythological aspects while the main character being a tomb raider, searchers for the philosopher's stone. I didn't expect it to be one of those movies filmed like Paranormal Activity, but they did it well. Not the scariest movie I've seen this year, but somehow I thought it was refreshing. 7/10

We watched Lights Out yesterday, and I basically spent like half the movie feeling like the antagonist was basically an expy of 

Spoiler

oFHjD.jpg

in terms of appearance... Tell me I'm not the only one please....

Edited by Tokage

6 hours ago, Tokage said:

We watched Lights Out yesterday, and I basically spent like half the movie feeling like the antagonist was basically an expy of 

Reveal hidden contents

oFHjD.jpg

in terms of appearance... Tell me I'm not the only one please....

thanks for the heart attack... I thought I'd never see that thing again....

And yes, I agree with you.

Watched The Strangers today. Surprisingly tense and spooky, though there were a couple of cheap jumpscares here and there. I guess this whole home invasion genre is just generally more effective for my paranoid ass in terms of spook levels than some goofy rubber monster costumes, no matter how much i love 'em.. I was kinda put off by some of the absolutely RETARDED actions on behalf of the protagonists, but eh, at the same time it's kinda like whatever, it's horror, retarded characters are like a genre staple at this point lol

Final verdict for this one's somewhere around 6.5 or so i guess.. solely gets bonus points for atmosphere though, if we're just talking plot-wise it'd be like a 3 lmao

also i just couldn't help but imagine Glen Howerton's character as Dennis from IASIP

Edited by Tokage

Ooooooh boy.. Well, here we have it, folks. The very first movie we couldn't make it all the way through of 2017.

Watched (or rather TRIED to watch) The Greasy Strangler (2016) today. Got about halfway through before ultimately giving up. I'm barely sure if this even counts as horror in the conventional sense. The most horrifying aspect of the film is the many instances where you're faced with fully naked or nearly-naked fat people and old people. Egh. Style-wise, I can only describe this as The Tim & Eric Show x Troma. Now, on paper that sounds like it could be fun, but unfortunately I just wasn't feeling the humor hhere. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mental space today, maybe the multiple shots of nude old man penis kind of soured my goodwill towards the film. I dunno. There were some grossout gore moments here and there, but to my eyes many of them felt like they were unfortunately done with CGI.  As for positive things I can say about this movie: at least the soundtrack was pretty fuckin funky, and the movie definitely does succeed in providing a singular, fucking bizarre experience, which is rare in this day and age.

The Blackcoat's Daughter - God damn. If you love dreary, eerie, slow-burning, menacing horror (like The Witch, for example), then just watch this. Excellent atmosphere, phenomenal music and photography, and a thoroughly intriguing (if a little simple) story. I am beyond impressed. I am guessing it is best watched if you don't know anything about the story at all, so please avoid the IMDB page (also, dunno what the imdb users smoke to only give it a 5.4 tho??).

5 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

The Blackcoat's Daughter - God damn. If you love dreary, eerie, slow-burning, menacing horror (like The Witch, for example), then just watch this. Excellent atmosphere, phenomenal music and photography, and a thoroughly intriguing (if a little simple) story. I am beyond impressed. I am guessing it is best watched if you don't know anything about the story at all, so please avoid the IMDB page (also, dunno what the imdb users smoke to only give it a 5.4 tho??).

If there's something I learned about 10 years ago it is that one canot take the score on IMDB serious at all. It's fucking shit for most part. One must learn to ignore the IMDB score, and the faster one learns that, the better.

The film also looks very interesting, just like Oz Perkins' I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (which currently holds a 4,8 on IMDB, but a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes). It also looks really nice. Got a feeling it's a slow-burning horror films based mostly on atmosphere than anything else.

They're Watching: Yet another found footage movie. This one's interesting mostly due to the fact that it's set in the middle of nowhere in rural Moldova. Outside of that... I can't say a lot of good stuff about this one. It takes VERY long for shit to hit the fan, even though I could basically predict the entire course of the plot somewhere around the 20 or 30 minute mark already. Shit only really starts hitting the fan in the final 10 minutes or so and the way it's done is.... hilarious, actually. For all the wrong reasons. Now, the movie itself is already more on the lighthearted, comedic side of horror, but the ending sequence is just simply laughably bad. There were a few decent gory moments done with practical effects scattered throughout, but the final sequence of the film just goes full-on ham with "this is my first cg class guys! graphics design is my passion!!!!!''.. Like, the CG is fucking ps2 game-tier or something, I feel even Syfy Original movies get a lot more care put into them in terms of digital effects. Can't really give this anything more than a barely-earned 5/10

Ava's Possessions: Really pleasantly surprised by this one. More on the mystery side of things than pure horror, but considering it deals w/ demonic possession I guess it still fits here as well. Set in a world where demonic possession's apparently become so common that they now have a Spiritual Possessions Anonymous to help victims cope. Story focuses on the titular Ava, who's trying to pick up the pieces of her life after she was possessed by a demon. Now, as part of her therapy, she has to piece the stuff that's happened to her while she was being possessed back together. The movie's visually very stylish, lots of glowing neon-type stuff, and I'm a total sucker for it. The soundtrack's also pretty good, with this track in particular being a surprisingly catchy standout for me:

Considering how I generally tend to dislike demonic possession movies for the most part, this felt like a genuine breath of fresh air. Some questionable CGI here and there, but after yesterday's CGI fuck up-fest I feel like I'm suddenly immune now. 7/10, not perfect, but definitely a hidden gem worth a watch

I fucking love Piranha and I thought Piranha 3D was really awesome, but I've kinda delayed watching Piranha 3DD for many years now because it looks so shit. And it was. Piranha 3D isn't exactly a good film, but it's silly and dumb as fuck, but it feels so natural and genuine. This however feels so forced like they're just doing everything in their power to be crazier than the first film. Weak as fuck, and not in the Sharknado kind of way.

Recently I saw the Autopsy of Jane Doe. I have kind of mixed feelings. The film lasts not even an hour and a half. And for me it took really so long to develop in the action. On the other hand - it's very essentional and contains all the element, which a typical horror story should have (including "deadies" :) ). I don't wanna spoil too much - maybe here are hidden many ppl, who wanna watch this movie, but to cut a long story short: I'm not pleased with everything, but was stabile and OK.

I think I vaguely remember someone mentioning this movie here before, but just for the sake of it there's a new trailer out and IT LOOKS AMAZING.

Yep, I was planning on attending a screening of it at a local film festival but ended up being unable to go, still kind of bummed out about it 'cuz it looks great

Watched Curse of the Crimson Altar, late 60's horror based loosely on Lovecraft's The Dreams in the Witch House. This film isn't Lovecraftian at all, though, it's pretty standard mid-60's gothic horror with the usual ingredients. But holy cow, what an underrated film! It's one of Boris Karloff's last films, and it also stars Christopher Lee, and Michael Gough and Barbara Steele in some minor roles. Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee steals every scene they're in, and when they're on the screen together I am close to exploding. Can't handle that much awesomeness!

Anyway, the plot is not all that and the direction is a bit messy, but its atmosphere is great and it's visually stunning and superbly acted. I just love the colors in films like this. So bright, so strong... it just looks like the color is about to pop out of the screen. Looks amazing!

And this quote was exceptional:

Girl: It's like a house from one of those old horror films.

Man: It's like Boris Karloff is going to pop up at any moment.

Awesome! Very underrated.

The Burning. Bretty gud slasher movie with special effects done by Tom Savini. Some of the effects look somewhat dated by now, but I thought overall the movie holds up pretty well. Nothing revolutionary, nothing special, just a good old classic "serial killer at the summer camp" scenario. Funny to see Costanza in it too.

I find the whole "muh Friday the 13th ripoff!!!111!!!1" controversy quite amusing, by the way..