Pandabear

Horror Movies

Watched Insidious 2 with two of my sisters. I really liked the first one so I've been waiting for a chance to watch it with someone. Usually I watch horror movies alone, but for some I'm a bit more choosy about if I have to watch alone. It didn't freak me out entirely though and I would say it was more of a thriller, but I did find the plot very interesting. One thing I like about Insidious is that it touches on OBE and the astral world, which you don't often see portrayed in movies, at least I haven't seen many that did. I would love to watch the third one soon, but since my sisters want to watch it together I might have to wait until we see each other again.

What did scare me though was all my sisters' screaming at the jump scares, haha.

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Why would you say it was more a thriller? I don't get that at all as the film is horror from A to Z.

And CHapter 3 was disappointing. It's watchable, but I doubt I'll ever rewatch it. Look out for that Elise Rainier-scene. You'll know exactly which one I am talking about when you see it. I have rarely seen anything so out of character in a film before. Ridiculous and laughable as hell.

Maybe I didn't explain that too well. I felt like I was more interested in what was gonna happen next, rather than feeling scared while watching the film. Of course the film still has its horror elements.

Sucks that the third one is disappointing though. But I guess that is usually the case with sequels. I'm just a little surprised that the second one turned out pretty good.

2 hours ago, Oblaat777 said:

'Don't Breath' are a good movie? Anyone saw this movie? I see a strong marketing on but i don't believe this. 

Why don't you believe this? My friends all seem to think it is a great film, so I don't see why it shouldn't be to be honest. They all have similar tastes to me and I actually trust them when it comes to films. We're the kind of people who don't give a fuck about IMDBRotten TomatoesMetacritic scores or reviews, we watch films and make up our own opinions on them and recommend each other films.

Frede Alvarez, the director, also made the very impressive remake/reboot of Evil Dead, which sure gives me much higher hopes for this film. Been very keen to see this for ages now (since Alvarex first started talking about it).

On 7.9.2016 at 5:43 AM, plastic_rainbow said:

Maybe I didn't explain that too well. I felt like I was more interested in what was gonna happen next, rather than feeling scared while watching the film. Of course the film still has its horror elements.

Sucks that the third one is disappointing though. But I guess that is usually the case with sequels. I'm just a little surprised that the second one turned out pretty good.

But that doesn't mean it's not a horror film. Not all horror films are there to scare the living shit out of you. Different films and different sub-genres and blendings serve a different purpose.

Films like Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter, Alien, Evil Dead II, Dracula, Mr. Vampire, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Frankenweenie, Martyrs, Eden Lake are all horror films but they serve a different purpose (in 2016 at least), just to take a few examples.

But at the end of the day the line between horror and thrillers are very blurry and it can be really hard to tell the difference here and there.

I see so many youtubers disseminating this movie that i did not believe are good, but let's try. The last movie i see by youtubers doing marketing was horrible. About "Don't Breath' to me the trailer have a similarity with the short filme 'Don't Move' (2013) so i will try.

Watched Blair Witch last night with a friend. I prefer movies shot in a "normal" format as opposed to found footage. This was my first time watching a movie shot in that style. The cuts were abrupt and it felt like they were trying to scare you by making noises during them. The decisions made by the characters seemed really bad and unrealistic. I wished that the first part had shown more instead of just screaming and making it sound like the trees were alive. None of the horror was subtle but nothing was really shown either, so I was somewhat disappointed at the end. I never watched the original but I am interested in it now. If I had to describe the movie in one word it would be unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, Nagisa said:

Watched Blair Witch last night with a friend. I prefer movies shot in a "normal" format as opposed to found footage. This was my first time watching a movie shot in that style. The cuts were abrupt and it felt like they were trying to scare you by making noises during them. The decisions made by the characters seemed really bad and unrealistic. I wished that the first part had shown more instead of just screaming and making it sound like the trees were alive. None of the horror was subtle but nothing was really shown either, so I was somewhat disappointed at the end. I never watched the original but I am interested in it now. If I had to describe the movie in one word it would be unrealistic. 

That shouldn't come as a big surprise considering it's a horror film, and the word realistic and horror rarely goes hand in hand. It's a very poor way to describe not only a horror film, but a film in general as 90% of all films ever made are highly unrealistic. :P

It's cool that it made you interested, though. It obviously did something right.

Hey everyone, I need your help!  Horror movies aren't generally my thing, but in celebration of halloween, I wanted to check out a few with my girlfriend. Would any of you have any good recommendations for me? I'm pretty much open to anything - animated, hollywood, indie, foreign - it doesn't matter! It doesn't even have to be necessarily "scary", it can even be a comedy, as long as it's still related to Halloween and horror in general. For instance, I was thinking about watching the Korean film "Thirst", which isn't really scary, but it's still dark and deals with Vampires - Hell, it even has a romantic aspect to it, which is also welcome! Any recommendations would be appreciated!!

@Bear @plastic_rainbow  @Jigsaw9

A few obvious ones, but if you're not too into horror movies you'd want to try 'em out:

Good Halloween-themed films:

Halloween (1978)

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Night of the Demons (1988)

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)

Hocus Pocus (1993)

In general I'd just recommend some great horror films:

The Thing from Another World (1951)

Dracula (1958)

Kwaidan (1964)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The Exorcist (1973)

Alien (1979)

Friday the 13th (1980)

The Evil Dead  (1981)

The Thing (1982)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Ringu (1988)

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The House of the Devil (2009)

Frankenstein's Army (2013)

The Thing from Another World (2013)

Housebound (2014)

It Follows (2014)

We Are Still Here (2015)

I guess I'll have to stop now. I decided to leave the pre-50's horror films out since you don't seem to be too much into films in general (sorry if this is wrong), which is a shame consiering some of te best horror films were made in the 20's and 30's. But I tried to limit myself a bit, even though it doesn't seem to have worked too well. :P

Anyway, I've rated all these films either 9 or 10.

52 minutes ago, Bear said:

A few obvious ones, but if you're not too into horror movies you'd want to try 'em out:

Good Halloween-themed films:

Halloween (1978)

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

Night of the Demons (1988)

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)

Hocus Pocus (1993)

In general I'd just recommend some great horror films:

The Thing from Another World (1951)

Dracula (1958)

Kwaidan (1964)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

The Exorcist (1973)

Alien (1979)

Friday the 13th (1980)

The Evil Dead  (1981)

The Thing (1982)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Ringu (1988)

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The House of the Devil (2009)

Frankenstein's Army (2013)

The Thing from Another World (2013)

Housebound (2014)

It Follows (2014)

We Are Still Here (2015)

I guess I'll have to stop now. I decided to leave the pre-50's horror films out since you don't seem to be too much into films in general (sorry if this is wrong), which is a shame consiering some of te best horror films were made in the 20's and 30's. But I tried to limit myself a bit, even though it doesn't seem to have worked too well. :P

Anyway, I've rated all these films either 9 or 10.

great list! I even found a few movies I've not seen, gonna pick a few to watch for the next few days. thanks!

@CAT5It's not really a horror, more of a dark comedy with some blood here and there, but since it involves vampires I'm gonna rec What We Do In The Shadows anyway, it's a faux-documentary about a bunch of vampires living together and it's one of the funniest movies i've seen in the last few years

Also dank (but not necessarily scary, more high on camp value):

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Evil Dead 2

Braindead

Hausu

Demons 1 & 2

Edited by Tokage

Seconding The Exorcist and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. However, I advise you not to drink green milk tea or any drink of similar color before watching The Exorcist (you'll know what I mean).

a few general recs:

Carrie 1976

Jacob's Ladder 1990 (personal favorite)

Zombieland 2009 (comedy horror)

Little Shop of Horrors 1986 (comedy horror)

Insidious 2010

Some good Thai horrors:

Shutter 2004 (this one gave me a good fright)

Alone 2007

Coming Soon 2008

The Eye 10 (comedy horror)

@CAT5, Shutter, the first Thai movie @plastic_rainbowsuggested is the one I was thinking of! It's probably way too scary for me though, lmao. I still think it looks super awesome.

Jacob's Ladder is one of the movies with an insane plot twist, no? I'm kind of interested in that.

Also because of my older siser, I'm curious about Rosemary's Baby. Plus The Host which just looks brilliant. Was meaning to watch that for years, could be an alright choice. Plan 9 from Outer Space may be the most necessary because of its totally unintended Darkplace factor, lol.

Can I make the excuse of finally getting to a Tim Curry movie like IT or The Rocky Horror Show because bloody Tim Curry on bloody Halloween, yes please~

Now the movie choices are flowing out of me~

You need to watch Rosemary's Baby, because it is a phenomenal film. And while you're on it you need to watch Repulsion, The Tenant and Dance of the Vampires by the same director too.

A few other must-sees:

The Omen (1976)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

The Howling (1981)

It's very important that you keep watching the originals by the same. I can't think of a single horror film remake that's better than the original classic. Not a single one.

Gonna check out some of the reqs y'all have suggested for CAT, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for good atmospheric horror films? I absolutely hate jump scares(they seem way too cheap anyways), but love movies that rely more on atmosphere and suspense. Already checked out The Babadook and It Follows and loved both of them. 

2 hours ago, Biopanda said:

Gonna check out some of the reqs y'all have suggested for CAT, but I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for good atmospheric horror films? I absolutely hate jump scares(they seem way too cheap anyways), but love movies that rely more on atmosphere and suspense. Already checked out The Babadook and It Follows and loved both of them. 

You won't find horror films with more atmosphere than those made back in the 20's through the 70's. There was no such thing as jumpscares back then, and it was all about atmosphere and suspense. Jumpscares didn't really come along before the late 70's/early 80's, even though there was only a small amount of films like Carrie and When a Stranger Calls that used/tried a form of this technique before the 80's. So checking out horror films from 70's and backwards won't hurt if you look for horror films without cheap jumpscares.

You won't find a single film with better atmosphere than Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens. The atmosphere is so thick you can smear it out on a piece of bread like butter. Same goes for other 20's horror films like

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Häxan

Orlacs Hände

The Phantom of the Opera

Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage

Or from the 30's:

Vampyr

Frankenstein

Bride of Frankenstein

The Black Cat

Dracula

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Old Dark House

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Just to mention a few. I could go on, but these are all films that are as atmospheric as possible. Especially the 20's horror films are beyond what we can atmospheric. It's incredible. Add The Call of Cthulhu (2005) to the 20's list too, as it plays along like a film of tat era. Excellent film!

But if these type of films for some weird, unexcuseable reason ain't your thing, then try some newer films from the 2000's like

The House of the Devil

The Witch: A New-England Folktale

Martyrs

We Are Still Here

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Eden Lake

Lake Mungo

The Conspiracy

The Blair Witch Project

Bone Tomahawk (western-horror!!!)

The Others

These films have none or close to no jumpscares in them. It's about atmosphere, suspense and more atmosphere.

Edited by Bear

Since this thread has been evoked back to life let me inform you about the films I've seen this weekend:

Demons

Demons 2: The Nightmare Returns

Lamberto Bava would never go on to become as great as his father, Mario Bava, but he never had any problem impressing. While not his best films, but are highly entertaining euro-splatters full of cheese, poor acting and lovely special effects. Demons is better than Demons 2 which is more or less the same film with a different setting. Great soundtracks to with Claudio Simonetti, Pretty Maids, Billy Idol, Accept, Saxon, The Smiths, The Cult, Fields of the Nephilim, Dead Can Dance and more spread over the two films. First one is a bit more metal.

Night of the Demons

Night of the Demons 2

Cheesy, over the top and great horror films set at Halloween. So over the top, but perfectly executed with amazing special effects and lots of fun. The sequel is a bit campier and less serious in tone, but I dig it slightly more. It's more of a teen horror with silly jokes, great nudity and more humour, but it truly pays off. And who's unable to become bewitched by a beautiful girl dancing retardedly to old Morbid Angel? Holy water!

Both Demons films are definitely 100% good as hell. I remember seeing them years ago and having a blast with them. Wanted to redl them recently but all the torrents i found were slow as shit : ^ (

Recently also snatched The Wailing and Train To Busan, gonna watch 'em when I actually have time and am not swamped w/ uni work..

13 hours ago, beni said:

Jacob's Ladder is one of the movies with an insane plot twist, no? I'm kind of interested in that.

Hmm, no I didn't feel like Jacob's Ladder had a plot twist. It's more of a psychological horror. Also, knowing that you're familiar with Silent Hill, it might be worth noting that this film gave inspiration for the games. The atmosphere and demons in both are very similar I'd say.

I have been curious about Rosemary's Baby recently too and may think about watching it soon.

The Romanian found footage film Be My Cat: A Film for Anne looks really fucking awesome, and a lot of people claim it to be the best and most revolutionary found footage film since The Blair Witch Project, which does say quite a lot. Adrian Țofei directed, starred in and produced the film, and he seems to have done quite the job as all three, along the rest of the cast. Can't wait to see this flick!

Updating some movies that I saw.

I watched Insidious: Chapter 3 with my sisters and it seemed like a total waste of a sequel. I felt that it led more questions than answering them. Also, it's supposed to take place before the first film, but the connection felt so weak and pointless I kept getting confused. @Bear I think I know what funny scene you were talking about. It came out so randomly my sisters and I laughed, ahaha. xD I couldn't take the movie seriously and it was just a bad sequel imo. I hope they don't make another one.

Watched Pet Sematary and thought it was simply okay. It's kind of old and corny with some bad acting, especially the male lead. But damn, I have to say that the wife's sister is quite freaky. I don't think I felt that creeped out by something in a while. It's not just one scene or the face that scared me, but her overall character and creepy behavior/movements. If I watched this movie as I kid I might have had nightmares. There's also some good ol' gore in there. Not intense, but still disturbing.

Last night I watched a Korean horror called Wishing Stairs with my sisters. It's the third installment for the Whispering Corridors series, which I have not seen any before, but they don't all necessarily connect with each other. We decided to watch it because we haven't seen an Asian horror in a while, but after watching it I think I understand why. I feel that most of these Asian revengeful ghost stories just aren't for me anymore (or maybe i'm not looking at the right ones?). The first half was really slow and lacked any creepy atmosphere. There were also some plot holes and low story backgrounds, and it was not very interesting in general.