Pandabear

Horror Movies

^ Still gotta check that one out!

Today I watched The Legend of Hell House. Thanks for mentioning this gem, it was pretty sweet. Thick on the atmosphere~ :D Loved the visuals and the spooky but not overly ridiculous feel of it.

Also, finally saw Shadow of the Vampire which was excellent. Willem Dafoe rocks! Re-watched Nosferatu too, while I was at it, hehe. It's interesting that both these movies and the Werner Herzog remake/tribute are pretty good on their own, yet if I were to recall my favorite scenes it would differ between the three. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of 'em are pretty solid. :D

By the way, does someone have an invite to Cinemageddon? Keen on joining as it seems like they've got "everything" as far as horror goes. Would love to check it out.

I -might- have an invite left, not sure though. Haven't logged onto my cinemageddon account in ages... I wonder if I even remember my password lmao

Just watched Noroi in our school's movie night. It wasn't THAT scary, but because I am the president of pussy club with my cats, I want to join horse riding club to feel comfort and joy again. This was the first horror movie I have watched in over five years, and I am happy to wait another five again.

^ Still gotta check that one out!

Today I watched The Legend of Hell House. Thanks for mentioning this gem, it was pretty sweet. Thick on the atmosphere~ :D Loved the visuals and the spooky but not overly ridiculous feel of it.

Also, finally saw Shadow of the Vampire which was excellent. Willem Dafoe rocks! Re-watched Nosferatu too, while I was at it, hehe. It's interesting that both these movies and the Werner Herzog remake/tribute are pretty good on their own, yet if I were to recall my favorite scenes it would differ between the three. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of 'em are pretty solid. :D

To be honest I doubt White Zombie is a film for you. It's a very slow one, and it just oozes of the 30's. Feels old, but I love that. But I think it is great, and it's a very atmospheric film. Occult, evil and cool.

Nice! Yeah, it's a great film. Pure 70's haunted house film where it is all about atmosphere. Gotta apreciate that.

Cool! I've been thinking about adding Shadow of the Vampire to my list of this month actually. We'll see. Great film!

I -might- have an invite left, not sure though. Haven't logged onto my cinemageddon account in ages... I wonder if I even remember my password lmao

Coolio, bro! Send it my way if you find out you've got one. Would love it.

Also, try guessing which films I will see at the cinema on tuesday? I'll give a new hint every day.

First hints: One are from the 20's and one from the 70's.

Nope. :D

The Black Sleep - Late 50's horor with Basil Rathbone, Akim Tamiroff, Lon Chaney Jr., John Carradine, Patricia Blair and Bela Lugosi  in his last proper role, sadly as a mute character. In other words it's a film with an immense cast, and every single one of them delivers top notch performances which also is the films strongest point. Worth seeing for the cast alone.

Anyway, The Black Sleep is a very straight forward film with a great, thick atmosphere that's almost morbid- and evil-like at times, and while it does get a bit silly towards the end, I loved it. I really did.

If you want a late 50's low-budget horror film, then this should entertain you. Great film!

black_sleep_01.jpg

Check the awesome film poster out:

black_sleep_poster_02.jpg

10/10

Witchfinder General - This is hands down one of the best horror films of all time. I'd forgotten exactly how awesome it is. It's very violent and sadistic for its time, and it split the audience in two - one side loved the film, and one hated it with passion. The film is savage, beastial, sadistic, evil and directed in such a way that it is easy to understand why so many people disliked it back then. The atmosphere is thick, the charaters are great, especially Matthew Hopkins the Witchfinder General, the directing and cinematography are both great and the acting top notch. Vincent Price does one of his best roles ever in this film. And throughout the film, not even once do I notice that it is a low-budget film. It feels so rich, classy and expensive. It's a brilliant film, no less.

witchfinderHEADER.jpg

witchfinder+horsing+off.png

Also, this:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellz yeah!!!

A Field in England - Black & white film from 2013. Most who see this will probably think "huh? How is this horror? This is just 90 minutes of pretentious bullshit". Understandable, but it's folk horror and to me it's about the atmosphere. Occult, haunting and devilish atmosphere that's thicker than meself, and the surrealism adds to the fun here. Some proper weird moments in the film. This is what you get if you blend the more psychedelic films of the 60's with the folk horrorof the 70's. I get some serious Onibaba-vibe from this film. A drama film with very few minutes of horror to it, yet when it ends it feels as if you've watched a proper horror film.

The acting is brilliant and the cinematography even better. Outstanding!

AFIE3.jpg

By the way. My plans for today:

12:30-16:15 - work

16:15-19:00 - Get some food and fuck around to get the time to go faster

19:00 - cinema 1: Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

21:00 - cinema 2: Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht

Oh yes! Gonna be good.

Oh, and this weekend I am gonna watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the cinema. Ooooooh yeah!

Grave Encounters - The Blair Witch Project meets Paranormal Activity. This film is doomed to become a cultfilm just like The Blair Witch Project. It's got everything to take that status. I thought it was an enjoyable film, but not a masterpiee or anything. Great atmoshere, but never scary or anything to me, but my girlfriend jumped a couple of times, though. The thing I really liked is the amount of humour it's got, much because of how real the character feel. And it's not the type of funny moments that are just thrown in, it's funny moments because of the reactions by the characters, and if you've ever been scared at night when walking over/past a graveyard or visiting an old, abandoned house, you'll know what I talk about. They come off as really genuine, and that adds to how real everything feels.

So yea, I really liked this film.

grave-encounters-pic-1.jpg

I love this movie!  At first the beginning was so cheesy I almost turned it off lol.  But wow, it really did scare me a bit!  I usually don't get scared easily...okay maybe  a little bit but, I thought this movie was almost perfection in the horror genre.  I don't know, it was one of the best 'handcam' horrors I've seen.  It just seemed real and not cliche which was really refreshing!  The second one sadly was not as good in my opinion.  

This thread is amazing I love how many good movies everyone is watching leading up to Halloween, seeing a bunch of people currently watching the same or similar lists to mine !

A few found-footage movies I got into this past week, "The Taking of Deborah Logan" -- Interesting possession story centered around a film project on an Alzheimer's patient.

"Mr. Jones" difficult to describe in a sentence, a couple retreats to the woods for a year in hopes of getting their relationship back on track while making an amateur nature documentary. They end up stumbling upon the site of a border between this world and the dream world.

I'm not huge on found footage, but I saw a few people on here also enjoying Grave Encounters, as I did. These MAY be worth your time

Unfortunately, Cabin in The Woods is a bit of a particular. It's a genuine horror movie ABOUT the horror genre. Teetering on the edge of parody, the end revelation of the story makes it very cool in it's own right. I don't think I've heard of any others that look at horror this way but with the way the genre goes, I'm sure more will pop up in the next few years.

Ohh I loooved Grave Encounters!! Much mindfuck D: <33

I was actually looking for some worthy horrors to watch this weekend so thanks everyone ^ - ^

Are there any horror movies similar to Cabin in the Woods?

I recommend watching Resolution (I mean this one). Its concept of being kind of "thinking outside the box" film makes it a bit similar. It's not so "out there" weird like Cabin... (I hated Cabin in the Woods but loved Resolution... tho that's just me.) If you like your horror deconstruction to be totally hilarious and more of a comedy, then you should really check out Tucker and Dale Vs Evil too! It's basically a funny twist on the typical crazy hillbilly/countryside slasher trope.

Are there any horror movies similar to Cabin in the Woods?

Similar in what way? As in horror-comedy ala this, or meta-horror ala this? If you're looking for meta-horror, then Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Peeping Tom, Scream, Zombieland, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, Shaun of the Dead and Resolution.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Shaun of the Dead are probably the closest, as they're horror-comedies, much in the vein of The Cabin in the Woods. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon are the closest-closest. Fantastic film. Sadly underrated and overlooked by most.

Good to see some mroe activity on here today. :D

I went to my first double feature at the movie theater yesterday, and as already said I watched Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens and Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht. What an awesome experience. They both looked, and even more impotantly in enie Symphonie's case, sounded massive.

Also, they started off with a "trailer" for Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht. I thought they had put on the wrong film at first, but it was just a "trailer". Majestic, haunting music over some well-plased stills from the film. Worked extremely well and sent chills down my spine.

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens - A most people know I consider this to be the best horror film ever made. It's the most haunting film ever made, and to me, the most scary film ever made. It doesn't surprise you with jump scares or anything, but Max Schreck is absolutely terrifying, intimidating and threatening as Count Orlok, and F.W. Murnau knew exactly how to create a creepy, mystic and thick atmosphere, and together these two elements (Max Schreck and the atmosphere), together with the nightmarish, cold and wicked visuals creates something extremely scary, at least to me. As with many horror films during the late silent era (last 15 yeas of it) it's very nightmarish and wicked becaue of how it is shot, and this is something of a lost art. I don't really know what to say. Majestic, mystic, dark, cold, creepy, evil, scary. That's the words I'll use to describe this film.

Th soundtrack, which is extremely important for the film, isn't the best soundtrack out there. But they've got one which manage to tell the story by itself, and together with the film it just strenghtens every single image throughout its 94 runtime.

Every single shot with Count Orlok in it is absolutely fantastic and could be used as the coolest oster ever. Most memorable and scary scenes ever. Being a silent film you'll have to talk alot with your body language, and I think Max Screck did this perfectly. Best thing ever!

This film is is the prime example of what a symphony of horror is. This film IS horror. Grim, eerie, dark, cold and terrifying.

w964.jpg

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht - Based on the same story as Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, and it pays obvious homage to the mentioned film, but it's still a very different film. Unlike in Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, Dracula here feels less terrifying, intimidating and threatening, and comes off as a hurt, lonely and haunted creature with a lot of sadness buried on the inside. Doomed to immortality with no such thing as love in his life. That's what I'd say the main differene is. This isn't so much a symphony of horror as Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, despite its very grim, cold and dark atmosphere. Klaus Kinski is amazing as Dracula, the soundtrack is MASSIVE and everything is great to be honest.

It's simply a more beautiful film than Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, but it lacks the pure horror and terror from it, and despite Klaus Kinski's brilliant performance and look, he isn't quite as good as Max Schreck, nor does he look as good. Or move around as good, but he didn't need to either. But I love his body language. The way he talks, the way he moves his arms, the way he runs. It's amazing.

,,,.jpg

I watched Hellraiser yesterday. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; goddamn, the '80s were a great time for visual effects. Very cool, stylish movie. 

Saw The ABCs of Death 2 and V/H/S Viral recently... well, neither of them were really much good, lol. ABC2 maybe had like a small handful of good segments and Viral had maybe one really fun one about a parallel universe (with kinda shitty execution but it was still the best) and some kinda lame/boring/uninspired ones. If you liked their predecessors they might be worth a watch but I really don't outright recommend them. xD

Also, it was cool reading your experience, Bear! I'd love to see either of those movies on the big screen sometime.

And Tokage, I agree! Hellraiser is maybe one of the pinnacles for me from that era, despite those charmingly lamely executed ending effects (that were famously put together in a hurry while being drunk and out of budget, haha).

Anyone watched The Taking of Deborah Logan? It looks good and what I need for Halloween! If not I guess I'm stuck with VHS Viral =(

Anyone watched The Taking of Deborah Logan? It looks good and what I need for Halloween! If not I guess I'm stuck with VHS Viral =(

A few found-footage movies I got into this past week, "The Taking of Deborah Logan" -- Interesting possession story centered around a film project on an Alzheimer's patient.

I've not seen it myself, but the poster catched my eye when I saw it on Netflix. Looks good judging from the poster.

Also, since it's October 31st I decided to watch a couple of extra horror films before I end it with THE halloween film.

Madhouse - Very fun mystery-horror with Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, Robert Quarry and Adrienne Corri. Nice atmsphere and an interesting plot. It's a bit predictable, but I don't mind that, and there's a small subplot here which is awful. But that's it. The rest is great. It's not a masterpiece, but a very, veyr entertaining film. Phenomenal ending!

I love how Peter Cushign dress up as Dracula and Robert Quarry as Count Yorga. Peter Cushing played Van Helsing in a shitload of Dracula-films as we all know, and Rober Quarry played Count Yorga in a couple of films. I smiled.

vlcsnap-00003.png

The Asphyx - Great concept and good execution. It's got good atmosphere and entertained me a lot, so this is recommended. The subjects it deals with are awesome and it gets surprisingly grim and macabre towards the end. I liked it a lot.

ScreenShot132.png

I've not seen it myself, but the poster catched my eye when I saw it on Netflix. Looks good judging from the poster.

Thanks Bear! I think I will give it a try!

I watched it last night, it was kind of boring for me but others on here enjoyed it I think.