7gatsu8ka

Worst Jrock CD Cover

YOU CAN'T BEAT SMILE ANW XDD

367307darlin.jpg

Every time I take my album with me....I cry a bit. xD
It's the first hideous thing that came in my mind, there are surely others.. xD

i love glass skin, its one of my fav diru covers.

honestly in the past 6 years since this thread was last updated so many hideous visual album covers have come out that i cant even try making a list. i see nice vk album covers like a few times a year, otherwise its all bat shit hideous.

ito has shit taste in art

Five years later and people still butthurt that I think that Glass Skin looks like someone accidentally spilled ink all of their terrible painting and try to pass it off as intentional XD

...Now if only we could get a Bob Ross painting cover.

There must be a duplicate thread, because I know these have been posted before. Anyway, my "fave" worst CD covers:

Dear L'Novel - 罪と罰(Tsumi to Batsu) 
VAER-7.jpg

ViViD - Message
13450-message-zqlk.jpg vivid-message.jpg

Dear L'Novel's is one of the few albums that I truly enjoy but refuse to buy, because the album art would haunt me. And yet, the ViViD one is somehow worse, because they were actually a major band. Can you imagine who designed these covers and thought "Yup, these are good to go!"

I'm amazed no one has mentioned Jackman's Multi Color Freaks (Or, as the cover says, Malti Color Freaks) yet. (Or if they have, the link is broken.)
Best of all, it came in two versions, so twice the ugly! (Although type B (the purple) is waaaaay worse.)

CjhbIsqVEAAyIfR.jpg

CjhbIq4UgAAVa2v.jpg

The cover of NOA's "Paper Hearts" album is pretty ugly.

item_180672_l.jpg

Aki does super kawaii emo sketches like this for his bands' setlists, but that was the best they could come up with for an official release?

On 17/01/2016 at 6:43 PM, fitear1590 said:

And yet, the ViViD one is somehow worse, because they were actually a major band. Can you imagine who designed these covers and thought "Yup, these are good to go!"

It seems that the design was made by a member of the band (I think it's Ko-ki?)

This thread is funny but in my opinion, there are definitely more horrible covers than beautiful ones hahaha 

Here is my selection:

ALiBi – ЯOCK★STAR (2009)

1562FC324CF730D809097F

Anli Pollicino – Fahrenheit 31 (2009)

R-8553471-1463927160-7089.jpeg.jpg

Awake – ★Heavy★Decorationz★Party★ (2012)

91TpM5S6AEL._SL1500_.jpg

BORN – オルタナティヴ・タランチュラ (2015)

81zySGc3T3L._SL1181_.jpg

DOG inThePWO – ミラクルSUPER超DX (2012)

6.jpg

Kra – Life~Today is a very good day to Die~ (2009)

KICS-91423.jpg

SCREW – Brilliant (2016)

l.jpg

カメレオ (Kameleo) – KAMENICATION!(2016)

DCCSG-008.jpgDCCSG-007.jpg

You're welcome...

On 3.04.2017 at 1:33 PM, Willen said:

BORN – オルタナティヴ・タランチュラ (2015)

81zySGc3T3L._SL1181_.jpg

This is a nightmare fuel.

As much as I think DIV CD covers were usually cool, CD cover for limited version of "Secret" is a mess. Too much stuff going on here and I don't know if this was supposed to be like that or designer got too carried away.

Spoiler

cover2.jpg

But my biggest nightmare is that purple Jackman CD cover mentioned few posts earlier. It's so bad I don't even want to quote it so I don't have to look at it more than I should. xD This is some beginner level Photoshop skills and colors are just painfull.

Also not a big fan of those covers with only a band/vocalist picture on them with no other efects. Too lazy.

Well, I've got a good amount. 16, to be exact.

Kasutera (カステラ) - "Tori (鳥)" (1990):

tori_zpsuhdv6hoa.png

The title literally translates to "bird", so there you go, a cover centered on... a bird. And not just any bird, but an emu. Alright..... interesting choice?

STRAWBERRY - coming all the way E.P. (2000)

coming_zpse3jm4amh.png

Okay, I've seen a few hideous drawings as covers, but this takes the cake. The girl literally looks like a sick, teenage Barbara Streisand, with her body looking twisted and contorted like she was fighting off death. It's just... nasty.

Kome Kome CLUB (米米CLUB) - Phi II (1994):

kome_zpsgt5c3jgy.png

Okay, I see what they're trying to do with the whole Washington, D.C. theme, but it just doesn't work. The coloring of the background and the lack of stripes on the structures they're supposed to represent just makes them look like PEZ dispensers.

Flipper's Guitar - CAMERA TALK (1990):

cameratalk_zpswrtehyml.png

"Camera talk"? Well now, it sure as hell covers that theme. You have some old foreign dude on the left, with the floating hands on the main part of the cover representing his hands, I presume? I don't know. It's quite an eyesore though, and the scribbles don't help.

ELECTRIC EEL SHOCK - SLAYER's BAY BLUES (2000):

eel_zpsxr3catme.png

The guys in ELECTRIC EEL SHOCK have a damn good sense of humor which I appreciate (I've been a fan of Bloodhound Gang since I was in middle school, for example), but the comically poor photoshopping of the singer wailing on one of the members just makes it a bizarre spectacle.

UNICORN (ユニコーン) - Hattori (服部) (1989):
unicorn_zpsuwccxgs6.png

One of the most legendary Japanese rock albums of its era, the cover still bewilders many to this day. Apparently the guy is some dude named Fukutaro Nakamura (中村福太郎), who supposedly had some connection to the band? Whatever it may be, it definitely remains one of the most memorable Japanese album covers to date for its weirdness and maintains a legacy of sorts today.

KEMURI - waiting for the rain (2005):

kemuri_zps0cz4iedw.png

Soooo a schoolbus is broken down which holds the bandmates of KEMURI, and one of the kids on the bus got out and took an extreme closeup of her with the band wandering in the background while a giant fountain sprays simultaneously? ... Makes sense.

KUSU KUSU - cajon (1991):

cajon_zps7vcmv7e2.png

Seriously, this cover just gives me the creeps. They look like the kind of guys who sneak into your bedroom and just watch you sleep. Those damn colorful freaks.

THE FOOLS - Weed War (1984)

weed_zpshlp4ks6h.png

Well now, for a drug war, that is the happiest person I've ever seen involved. I guess she may be a huge drug pin that the government just can't take down? Un...touchable.

YUKI - Melanchorinista (メランコリニスタ) (2006):

melanchorinista_zpspsoonhui.png

It's no secret, but I have a huuuuuuuuuuuge crush on YUKI. I can't even listen to JUDY AND MARY a lot without swooning like a schoolgirl. So when I heard that she did a "nude" cover of sorts, I immediately jumped on it and Googled it in a heartbeat. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Seriously, this looks like a woodsy Sapporo dude's fantasy come to life. Not cool.

SPIRAL LIFE - FLOURISH (1995):

flourish_zpsuuw8w108.png

What the hell?! I guess this is a close view on the Tokyo perv of the mid 90's? But where the hell is the bottom half?! You know what... I guess I don't want to know.

SUPERCAR - OOYeah!! (1999):

ooohyeah_zpseibenphz.png

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some SUPERCAR, especially pre-"HIGHVISION", but what the fuck is this?! A collage of the band members's noses?

THE ZIP GUNS - THIS IS YOUR LIFE (1997):

zippp_zpsly4u9jvi.png

Something about this cover feels exploitive and makes me uncomfortable.

RC SUCCESSION (RCサクセション)  - FEEL SO BAD (1984):

rc_zps27ocksah.png

Ahh... ohh... umm... no comment.

TRICERATOPS - KING OF THE JUNGLE (2001):

jungleking_zpso7g1rovz.png

Homoerotic Japanese Tarzan, anybody? Speaking of...

Skip Cows (スキップカウズ) - The Great Hunting (ザ・グレート・ハンティング) (2001):

hunting_zpsjsquohpj.png

Yeah... sometimes covers can speak for themselves.

Edited by robkun