Rosebetz

the GazettE - BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY

Ok I'm back.

Luckily I had the entire day to sample the entire album at work. So I was able to save a few days.

Having played BD all day at work, and a 2 hour drive home in my car ($800+ in speaker components) I have my review.

1. MALFORMED BOX - I haven't heard a great introduction like that in years. There was no way in hell you could skip an intro like that, especially since it blended so well alongside the following track. Pumped me up. 10/10

2. INSIDE BEAST - First off I want to give mad respect to Kai. Those drums stood out so well the entire track. The entire time I listened to it, it was like whoa. PLAY THIS IN THE CAR FOR GODS SAKE! I felt the same energy from this as I did with RIDE WITH THE ROCKERS. You can tell the GazettE had fun with this one. 9/10

3. UNTIL IT BURNS OUT - One of their harder tracks. Nothing really stood out too much to me other than how the tempo was slow and then picked up some pace (sorta like some tracks on DIM) 7/10

4. DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER - I'm not going to lie, this was very bland to the ears. By bland, I mean very modernized and mainstream hard rock. The female vocals playing intermittently kinda annoyed me. 4/10

5. FADELESS - I'm going to be blunt. You're lying to yourself if you say this track is not good. I loved the single when it came out, even though reviews went the other way. Uruha's guitar makes this track worth listening. 8/10

6. REDO - OMFG REDO! My favorite track on the entire album. The tempo is perfect! Ruki's vocals are on par with everything. I even sang alongside without even knowing. What I cannot believe is how reviews put this down for not being faster like GANGES NI AKAI BARA. If it were, those same people would say it sucks because it sounded too much like GANGES NI AKAI BARA :facepalm: 10/10

7. LAST HEAVEN - I can see why people praise this track. I got the same feel as I did with HANA KOTOBA, which I love. I enjoyed the acoustic feel and how his voice level matched as well. I haven't translated it yet, but it gives me a sense of sadness and loneliness. 8/10

8. LOSS - For the first time, the female voice matched the track well. This is the kinda track I looked forward to and expected out of them. The pace of the song going from slow to fast and then slow and back to fast was incredible. I honestly thought I found a lost track from DIM lol. 10/10

9. THE STUPID TINY INSECT - WTF did i listen to? It was a waste of a track. That's all I gotta say. This should've been on DIVISION. 2/10

10. IN BLOSSOM - I agree with RpgRiser. Sounded like OGRE. Good track but nothing to note. 6/10

Tracks 11 and 12 sounded like something Girugamesh and SCREW would make if they collaborated a couple tracks together lol. 6/10

13. TO DAZZLING DARKNESS - Sounded like it should've been more towards the beginning. Ruki's voice hits all kinds of highs and lows. Felt very ominous. Sounds cool in the car. 8/10

14. CODA - Fucking CODA. Sums up the entire album in less than 3 minutes. A rather fitting track to end it. Ruki's whispers always get me, and those wails. *shivers* 10/10

I just couldn't stand by and have people who didn't even allow at least a couple days worth of listening weigh in on their decision. Pitiful.

I just couldn't stand by and have people who didn't even allow at least a couple days worth of listening weigh in on their decision. Pitiful.

Exactly.

I listened to it all day and it got worse.

This would be true if the GazettE actually put in any effort at all (unless their taste has gone to shit which is also quite possible).

Sai I love you but Imma punch you.

If you compare it to DIM then you will say that no effort has been made but if you compare it to Toxic & Division then it is obvious that they tried. Uruha had said in the MTV 81 interview that they were going back to the basics with BD and to me, he did not lie. I do hear influences from the past and I'm proud that they're drawing influences from when they burned the brightest.

I think that DIM is just a work of art that can't be done twice. Almost every time I see you talking about GazettE, DIM is thrown into the mix and I wonder if you (and other people) can't just analyze something without comparing it to something else that was done years ago when shit was more 'original' (what is even original anymore). It's okay to judge progress based on successive releases but when you just keep going back and comparing it to something that was done so long ago when GazettE was at their peak music wise, you'll never see the fact they're actually trying.

How long are we going to compare to DIM. Every freaking thing gets compared to DIM. If GazettE releases an album in 2020 are we still going to compare it to DIM?

I do kind of think that the quality of their taste has degraded over the years though.

But anyway, since the intitial OMFG BeAuTiFuL DeFOrMiTy iS OuT craziness has faded, here is my track by track.

~Malformed Box~

Woooo I love this. it's the only intro that has stuck in my mind since Infuse Into. I do agree with everyone else when it comes to how well it meshes with Inside Beast. It pretty much just bleeds into the song, I love it. Shows some good thought right there. How do you even rate intros? 9.5/10

~Inside Beast~ 

I love the PV. I think it's supposed to be showing different sides to each member. Like one persona of Ruki is on a bed with a pipe and half crazy makeup and smiles on his face and the other persona is just walking around looking sexy.

Not gonna get into an analysis of the PV though, moving on to the song.

I don't like it. The intro is good in that it blends perfectly with Malformed Box but I don't really like the song. The little girls are cute but they annoy the frick outta me with their occasional 'give me your beast' or whatever they were saying. I have to admit though that the 'give me your ch-chick-ah was nice. >3<
The best parts of the song were Kai's solos at 1:21-1:41 and the outro of the song. The rest is just meh. 5.5/10

~Until It Burns Out~

Wooo scream at the start lol. Ruki really can't do harsh vocals that well but it works. I love the riffs at 1:42-1:59 overall the song has a nice pace but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I think Ruki's english pronunciation has gotten so much better like, he's been practicing! 6.5/10

~Devouring One another~

You know this kind of reminds me of Toguro, the starting and the deep tone of Ruki's voice throughout. I love the subdued guitars in the background and I really do like Ruki's whispering/harsh speaking/singing in this. The songs progressively get cooler as you listen further, a build up, kind of. 7.5/10

~Fadeless~

I do like this song, it's catchy. I hated the female vocals at the starting (still kind of do) but with continuous listening, they have grown on me. As I said the last time I commented on this song, the best part of it is the bass outro like dayum it still gives me goosebumps. 7.5/10

~Redo~

IDC WHAT ANYONE SAYS I LOVE THIS SONG AND I THINK ITS NICE AND DIFFERENT. It's upbeat and very smooth and I love Ruki's voice in this. It's one of those songs that are just lovely to sing to and it might not be that memorable but it'll definitely stick in the faves pile. Ruki's vocalizations as the song ends had me spazzing like I literally got emotional I love them and since he doesn't do those vocalizations very often I was so happy with this song. 8.5/10

~Last Heaven~

Acoustic guitar in this ;A; someone hold me. It's a soft, smooth song as well, a nice ballad but it doesn't really leave that much of an impression. I would say again that Ruki's English is getting so much better. Lol when I remember Ruki's English in Taion and listen to him now I rofl. I'm glad he's practicing. There's a lighter layer of his voice that floated somewhere and I loved that. The solo at 3:50-4:13 had me squirming in my seat woo! 7.5/10

~Loss~

I love the opening and the female Vocals in this h e l p. I fricken love the way he places the female vocals sometimes.Just makes me want to melt. Solo in this around 2:08 um there should have been more to that why wasn't their more to that. :l
Abrupt ending, no but otherwise I like the song. 7/10

~Stupid Tiny Insect~

Sounds like something that would fit well on disc 2 of Divsion but I like it though and although it has the really electronic intro for a while I feel like this is one of the major instances that they went -back-. Rolling of his r's. The scream/vomit parts. The way he says stupid tiny insect and the amped up cheering in the background. 7/10

~In Blossom~

Yes I love this. Influences come out again woo. And the female harmonies sound like they're a bit layered at some point and I LOVE IT AHHH. Then there's Ruki's lighter vocalization around 2:00 onwards and I was just like o: I didn't expect that. 7.5/10

~鴉~

BASS. INFLUENCESSSSSSS. Sounds like something fron Nil. If I had heard this and not known Beautiful Deformity was out I probably would have thought that it was an older song that I had missed somehow. Jesus the riffs at 2:03 onwards H  E   L   P. Overall the guitars are really good though. This song makes me nostalgic. 7/10

~黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅~

YES. YES YES YES. LOVE HOW THIS STARTS OUT AND CONTINUES.Yo, from Redo to Malformed Box is my fave part of the album ok. So much energy in this song I just want to jump around. They really went back for this. 8/10

~To Dazzling Darkness~

AND NOW FOR MY FAVE TRACK IDC WHAT ANYONE SAYS THIS SONG HAD ME FROM THE BEGINNING.

When I heard the preview I was blown away okay. I prayed to god the preview wasn't lying to me and it wasn't. People say the song is boring but I just think it's beautiful. The female vocals make me so emotional, jesus. And then the riffs from 2:04-2:23. The whole song has this melancholic feeling and I see Chizuru being thrown around somewhere lol no this does not resemble Chizuru. IDC MAN 10/10 I MASTURBATE TO THIS SONG OK.

~Coda~ 

Here, To Dazzling darkness blends straight into Coda and I wish this wasn't just an outro, fuck, it sounds so good it could have been a lot more. It's beautiful and sad and I love the acoustic guitars and tHEN IT BUILDS UP AND THE FEMALE VOCALIZATIONS AND RUKI'S WHISPERING STARTS AND I LOSE MY SHIT IT IS MY SECOND FAVE TRACK OK.10/10 OK.

Overall: I said I loved the album and I meant it. I see progress and I hope they continue. We all know they can do better (well can they anymore?). They have done better but I don't wanna stay hung up on the past. I hope they take a year off then come back and outdo BD. 7.5/10

what can I say?
I lost my faith in this band since TOXIC came up (there were like 2 or 3 songs I liked from that album and that's all), I never even bothered listening to DIVISION but I wanted to give them another chance with this release... but no.

I know good old days will never be back, I'm not the kind of person who argues about that anymore, I learned every band evolves years ago and the only "new" release I really loved by them was DIM.

I'm not comparing anything but if anyone still compares DIM to every album they'll release after that it's simply because DIM was (and still is) THE album.

Seriously, the first time I listened to BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY I fell asleep during the second track lulz, maybe I was too tired after work and because of that (I think) I gave it a try... and no, I didn't liked it, just not my cup of tea anymore, the only song I really liked (not joking) was CODA.

Nothing personal, I don't hate the GazettE, I still enjoy various of their songs but that's it.

I definitely lost all faith in them.

Hmmm okay, I've listened to the album for a few times in the past couple days, so let's see how these songs go... :)

MALFORMED BOX - Great electronic intro track, segues nicely into the first song.

INSIDE BEAST - Awww yeahhh this is what I'm talking about! Love the electro-metallish influences and those effects and tweaks on Ruki's voice. Pretty intense track with lots of catchiness. I feel like it has almost everything from the band's past few years molded together, but sounding stronger overall.

UNTIL IT BURNS OUT - Lulz the beginning reminded me of lynch blandness but that quickly goes away and turns into a more typical Gaze' song. Elements of this track recall the STACKED RUBBISH album which is always nice. Not an outstanding but an okay number.

DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER - Diggin' the nu-metal like influences and the background shouts and harsh vocals (Ruki's screams and such are pretty cool on this album overall imo), sounds a bit like a mixture between Marilyn Manson and old Linkin Park at times. 

FADELESS - Average Gaze' circa STACKED RUBBISH, nothing more to say. Actually, compared to the other tracks it's one of the more unremarkable ones here. Still, not bad or anything.

REDO - Okay, this one could've easily been on STACKED RUBBISH too, just think of songs like GENTLE LIE. A nice and nostalgic sounding tune, kinda "warm" feeling (nice guitars!). A welcome change in all the in-your-face badassery of previous tracks.

LAST HEAVEN - Obligatory Ballad Time. Well, uhm... pretty guitars an' all but I just don't feel it. Okay, the chorus and that following bit is kinda cool.

LOSS - Ooooh this is an interesting one! I love how there's so much stuff going on, a very melancholic feel but also has it's "edges". The atmosphere reminds me of NIL or DIM. That sudden outburst of tempo change only strengthens this. Good one.

THE STUPID TINY INSECT - Song title pls. But anyway, this is a pretty rockin' and catchy tune, no complaints here! Just has enough of its own personality to not make me instantly call it the HEADACHE MAN of the album, but you get it.

IN BLOSSOM - Despite its initial "heavy" impression it's quite a sophisticated track. I almost said it could've been on STACKED RUBBISH judging by the beginning but it's a bit more varied. An interesting song.

鴉 - Aww yeahh bring on da bass! Pretty intense track, I wish Reita composed more songs cuz judged by this he's pretty kewl.

黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅 - Aww yeahh [2] This already starts out promising with all that heaviness. It's a bit similar in feeling to the previous track but has its own character of course. Reminds me of older Gaze' tunes, like around NIL times (or even a bit earlier), especially the chorus. An all around solid song, nicely balancing "heavy" and "catchy".

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS - Ahhh finally the guitars from the album spot make an appearance! This is one of those epic tracks in line with DIM SCENE or Taion for example and it doesn't fail! The title encapsulates the whole of the song wonderfully, that's all I can say.

CODA - Excellent outro track that flows from the previous song nicely. It's so interesting to see how mechanical and electronic the intro is in total opposition with this one, which is very emotional and fluid, yet neither one feels out of place. I guess that tells something about the general flow and variety of the album itself.

Well what can I say, they really surprised me with this one, especially after the so-so TOXIC and the dreadfully dull and ridiculous DIVISION. I have a feeling that I'll put this album gladly next to the likes of NIL in the future after further listens. What's even better (and something I haven't felt in quite a while with a GazettE album) is that as soon as it's over I just wanna put it on again. The flow and placing of the tracks are pretty cool, there's only a bit of a lull towards the middle but overall manages to keep my interest, even more so in the second half (which is rare for me). Good job, welcome back GazeDudes! :)

:4.0: | cool, coherent and catchy, miles above anything they did in the past few years

Sai I love you but Imma punch you.

If you compare it to DIM then you will say that no effort has been made but if you compare it to Toxic & Division then it is obvious that they tried. Uruha had said in the MTV 81 interview that they were going back to the basics with BD and to me, he did not lie. I do hear influences from the past and I'm proud that they're drawing influences from when they burned the brightest.

I think that DIM is just a work of art that can't be done twice. Almost every time I see you talking about GazettE, DIM is thrown into the mix and I wonder if you (and other people) can't just analyze something without comparing it to something else that was done years ago when shit was more 'original' (what is even original anymore). It's okay to judge progress based on successive releases but when you just keep going back and comparing it to something that was done so long ago when GazettE was at their peak music wise, you'll never see the fact they're actually trying.

How long are we going to compare to DIM. Every freaking thing gets compared to DIM. If GazettE releases an album in 2020 are we still going to compare it to DIM?

I do kind of think that the quality of their taste has degraded over the years though.

Gaze i love you too but imma punch you back

I'm not comparing this one to DIM at all. Where in my post did I say that? Just because I think this album is average that automatically means that I have this opinion because I compared it to DIM, and not for other reasons? I realized that if I do keep comparing everything to DIM I'm never going to be content (lol). People can actually dislike this album for other reasons than just "comparing it to DIM" and tbqh I'm starting to get a bit tired of the regular stan's argument of "OMG YOU CAN NEVER LOOK AT IT OBJECTIVELY BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS COMPARE EVERYTHING TO DIM". I see every album for what it is. Do you think I could ever enjoy BUCK-TICK's latest three albums if I constantly compared them to Kurutta Taiyou or DTD -style93-? Seriously, DTD shits all over both Yumemiru Uchuu and RAZZLE DAZZLE but I still think these songs are catchy and fun and well-executed. Is DTD better? Absolutely, no doubt it about it. Is RAZZLE DAZZLE therefore horrendous? No it's not. There are plenty of reasons why people dislike this album (as stated throughout the review thread) and you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that just because you like everything the GazettE does doesn't mean that everyone who dislikes it (or thinks it average, in my case) does that based on a very flimsy argument. You also have to realize people will ALWAYS compare, it's natural. Even if you don't like it, sorry (it may sound harsh) but you need to get over it. Also wow god forbid me that I mention DIM in a normal GazettE discussion because I actually really like that album (I didn't mention it in any GazettE thread for the last year so your argument fails on this part too).

The problem with the effort is that not EVERYONE seems to have tried because be REALLY REALLY honest here...if you have to look at the individual members' progress, isn't one of the 5 sticking out like a sore thumb (in a negative sense)? As multiple people have already has stated, Ruki is currently the weakest link of the band because the instrumentals on this album are GOOD and do lots of different things. Uruha, Aoi, Reita and Kai are the only ones who actually shine on this album but I feel like Ruki just drags the whole thing down with either stale vocals or boring choruses.

/anyway I'll quit now because this is off-topic and opinions differ blahblah so if you want to get back at me send me a PM though I doubt it's possible to change your mind on this

I almost refrained from sharing my thoughts on this album, because frankly, it's hard for me to articulate exactly how I feel about it. I have never enjoyed the GazettE that much. More often than not, I have found that they have been more of a disappointment when it comes to their albums as a whole. This even means their albums from the days when people called them "good". Disorder had some awesome tracks; but a large portion of it could have either been cut entirely, or refined to make the tracks less drawn out and repetitive. It was their first album, though -- so it doesn't really matter. Nil was more disappointing for the fact that it feels very uneven with tracks like Baretta, Cassis, and Silly God Disco leading into Discharge, and Taion.

All of their albums have this sense of being disjointed. It's not that the tracks were in any way BAD (though, some are); it's there was never much flow with their albums in terms of presentation and performance. DIM changed this (even though it has it's bad moments), and has ultimately brought them to BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY. Beautiful Deformity isn't just their most refined album on all fronts of musicianship; but it's also their most focused. Never before have we had a GazettE album that felt this complete. DIM came close; but suffered under it's own weight of b-sides (Headache Man) and borderline unlistenable interludes. Beautiful Deformity presents a band that finally put effort (since DIM) into exactly what they were trying to achieve. This isn't to say that they never tried to write their songs; but here it's more focused with the ALBUM as the centerpiece, instead of the individual singles. Thus, I can not review this track by track, because to do so would eliminate the experience for me.

This album is less memorable for it's individual tracks, and more noteworthy for it's ability to do what truly great albums do: present not only an idea; but also a specific sound to unite the album. After all, as I have said before, this is an ALBUM not a COMPILATION disc.

With that said, the placement of Redo that bridges the heavier sections with the "lighter" tracks felt odd as the heavily distorted Drop B guitar feeds into a jazz number. It was an odd choice; but nowhere near as weird as kannou to paradox by Sadie.

Overall, this was an enjoyable listening experience. Back to basics? Sure, as most of the album shows that; but it goes far beyond just the basics. It does what the GazettE had not done previously: write an enjoyable album from start to finish.

8/10

So, I  took some time to listen to this a few times in the last couple of days and now I can give a proper opinion.

First, I have to say that I still don't know how I feel about this album...I mean..I'm undecided. After the last 2 that imo were really good (my fav out of the 2 being DIVISION (yes, I liked it!)...), I can only say that this is the direction they should go, without that much electro-dubstep shit that was going on in TOXIC (I like it, but after a while it gets boring..), but still, this is a disappointing album from my point of view. Now, I'll try to explain why doing a track-by-track review.

MALFORMED BOX: I must say it...this is one of the best intro I've heard in years! Better than [DIPLOSOMIA], OMEGA and INFUSE INTO. I love the way it gets into the next song perfectly! So, for me this is a 8/10

INSIDE BEAST: I like this song, I like the instrumentals very much and I think that there are enough electronic sounds, I mean they didn't exaggerate this time, like most of the songs on TOXIC...anyway there is a thing I don't like of this song...the female voices! They irritate me!! >.< I thought they were done with this thing of the female vocals,but apparently they're not. Well, all in all, it's a really nice and fun song so I'd give it a 7.5/10

UNTIL IT BURNS OUT: When it started I thought it was a lynch song, but then it changes completely xD This one is really good, but it's the usual Gazette, their average, so it's just good. Nothing special. (By the way, the title reminds me of Linkin Park... LOL)  5/10

DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER: I don't really like the way it starts, but then it gets a little better...but I still don't like it that much. It's another average Gazette imo and it's nothing special. One of my least favorite on the album. 4/10

FADELESS: Say what you want, but I LOVE THIS SONG!! I don't know why, but after the dubstep shit they put out, this is a step up for Gazette! I love the instrumentals and strangely the female voices don't annoy me! In particular I like the finale, when there's the Reita-Kai duo...I love it!! And also, I like the lyrics. 9/10

REDO: This has a really nice sound that reminds me of NIL/STACKED RUBBISH-era. It sounds a bit like Ganges ni akai bara (which I really like), I like the intro and guitars in this. Here you can really hear the influence of their 2006/2007-era, their "back to the basics" they were talking about. 7.5/10

LAST HEAVEN: OMG!! This is a really well done Gazette ballad in forever! I love everything of this song! The guitars, the drums, the lyrics and the atmosphere of it! This song is perfect! And for once I can understand what Ruki is saying in English! xD anyway, for me this is the best song on the album along with FADELESS. 10/10

LOSS: This one's also really nice,but like UNTIL IT BURNS OUT, is the average Gazette song that starts melodic and then it becomes quicker and stuff. The usual Gazette...but I like the guitar in the middle of the song. 5/10

THE STUPID TINY INSECT: Ugh! another song like CLEVER MONKEY and all those stupid titles...I don't like this song, even if it reminds me of VERMIN (which is the only one I liked with an "animal title" xD). Nothing more to say. 2.5/10

IN BLOSSOM: It starts out like DELUHI, really! xD At first i thought it was Juri that was singing.Anyway it's not a bad song, but again it's the average Gazette song, maybe better than LOSS and UNTIL IT BURNS OUT. And, here again, I can understand Ruki's english *__* So, I'd give it a 6/10

鴉(Karasu): I don't like this song. It gets boring after a bit. 1/10

黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅(Kuroku sunda sora to zangai to katabane): Oh yeah!! Bring it drums and guitars! I love this song, but I have to say something...the drums line and the general idea of the instrumentals sounds exactly like Disasterpiece by Slipknot (check it out if you don't believe me)..only that Joey Jordison is faster. And the main riff is the same as the one in girugamesh's Volcano. 7/10

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS: My other favorite along with LAST HEAVEN and FADELESS! I absolutely love this song! It sets in the atmosphere of DIM (which I loved), but above all it reminds me of Chizuru (my favorite song by them). I don't know what else to say...it's just...perfection!! 10/10

CODA: Again, like MALFORMED BOX, best outro in years!! Even here i love the way TDD changes smoothly into CODA,but even here there's something "borrowed" from Slipknot! Check out the song "Iowa"...CODA sounds almost like the first 3 minutes of the song. But anyway, 9/10

Briefly, this is the direction the GazettE should go. This is a nice album,a bit disappointing, but still good...Well, I would say...average. 7/10

That's all! See you soon! :D

but still, this is a disappointing album from my point of view. 

Briefly, this is the direction the GazettE should go. This is a nice album,a bit disappointing, but still good...Well, I would say...average. 7/10

Do you like the album or not?! XD

You also say you like Toxic, but then later refer to it as dubstep shit?!

Do you like the album or not?! XD

You also say you like Toxic, but then later refer to it as dubstep shit?!

Yes and no xD When I wrote "disappointing", I meant that I'm disappointed because I expected more from them. And I refer to TOXIC as "dubstep shit" because usually I don't like dubstep and I always say "dubstep shit" when I talk with my friends xD but I like TOXIC (not as much as STACKED RUBBISH and DIM but...)

Yes and no xD When I wrote "disappointing", I meant that I'm disappointed because I expected more from them. And I refer to TOXIC as "dubstep shit" because usually I don't like dubstep and I always say "dubstep shit" when I talk with my friends xD but I like TOXIC (not as much as STACKED RUBBISH and DIM but...)

Haha fair enough :) I get what you mean to be fair, the album is a step in the right direction for appeasing the fans but it's disappointing in the sense of it not being a big enough step.

(pssst I also like Toxic :3)

Haha fair enough :) I get what you mean to be fair, the album is a step in the right direction for appeasing the fans but it's disappointing in the sense of it not being a big enough step.

(pssst I also like Toxic :3)

^exactly! :3

GazettE is worth the hype.

they are able to write amazing songs, they got plenty of proof in their discography.
what they (or their record company) need to recognize is that it takes time to write 10-12 stellar tracks. please take that time and start releasing magnificent records!
cause BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY is not at all magnificent.

What makes a song good in the long run?
What makes it a classic?

good, at best innovative, ideas or simply amazing melody lines.
This is exactly what's missing here in most of the songs. Instead we have

WEAK CHORUSES + BORING RIFFS

they try to cover it all up with stellar production techniques. but once the hype is gone there’s only little substance left. (INSIDE BEAST, DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER, THIS STUPID TINY CHANSON, KARASU, KUROKU)

There are exceptions.
-COLA is extraordinary.
-REDO and LAST HEAVEN are 2 well crafted ballads with very good guitar work. LAST HEAVEN’s solo is some brilliant fuck.
-Kai’s drumming is mostly outstanding
-Transitions between song 1&2 and song 13&14 are done perfectly.

-Providing us with at least a glimpse of GazettE’s brilliancy: IN BLOSSOM, TO DAZZLING DARKNESS. Giving more time, those could have been real gems.
-Kudos to INSIDE BEAST’s drumming/overall beat. this shit is rolling in like a monster.

at last some words to those moments, where this record hits rock bottom. those moments tear this records’ overall rating down to the ground.
-INSIDE BEAST’s chorus is a direct 1:1 rip-off of THE SUICIDE CIRCUS’ prechorus. this is embarrassing.
-the lack of ANY Melody in DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER
-Worst use of female vox: FADELESS, KARASU
-LAST HEAVEN’s terribly uninspiring break down (2:29-2:50). There are thousands of better possibilities to get a little mood change into a song and widen its dynamics. Seriously, this song goes from 10/10 to 0/10 and back.
-LOSS’ direct copy of Yoin’s prechorus (0:48-1:02 in LOSS, 1:20-1:28 in Yoin)

zlovit.jpg

Here is my review.

---

MALFORMED BOX: The most amazing thing about this intro song is how seamlessly it transitions into the next song, but that's about it. I don't mind intro songs when I'm playing the album from start to end, but it's not like I will listen to this intro by choice. ?/10

INSIDE BEAST: At first I really hated this song because of the lyrics. I felt like this was just another song written for shock-value, like DEVIL ON THE BED and FORBIDDEN BEAVER. But after a few listens, I must admit I like the way it's composed. The female voices don't bother me either. 8/10

UNTIL IT BURNS OUT: Wow, this song is so boring I can't even say anything about it. I just feel sorry for Kai, he's drumming all violently but it doesn't go with the rest of the song at all. 3/10

DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER: Yay, another 'I have no idea what you're saying but it's English, right?' It's an entertaining song, but not a favorite.  5/10

FADELESS: Okay, I already heard this on the single, but coming after the previous not-great songs it sounds much better. Or maybe it's already grown on me? I also love the exaggerated way Ruki rolls his 'r' here, reminds me of much older songs where he did that all the time... I hate the guitar solo, but that bass part at the end is pretty cool. 7/10

REDO: I like this song quite a lot, but mostly because of the lyrics. This is purely personal taste, but I just love songs about rain. The melody itself is pretty bland, but Ruki's voice seems to hold enough emotion to keep it interesting. 8/10 

LAST HEAVEN: This song just makes me cry and I have no idea why but it probably means it's genius. 10/10

LOSS: Like UNTIL IT BURNS OUT, this song is all violent instrumentally but pretty slow and boring vocally. It really doesn't work in my opinion. 4/10

THE STUPID TINY INSECT: I feel like they already have a lot of songs like this, but I don't really dislike any of them, so it's okay. At least here the instrumentals and vocals fit together. And it's not too long, so it ends before it gets boring. 6/10

IN BLOSSOM: Another ridiculously boring chorus. Were GazettE's choruses always this boring? 2/10

鴉: This song is pretty cool at first, but gets repetitive really fast. I don't know how to feel about it, it's pretty hard to listen it until the end... Maybe if it was shorter...? 4/10

黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅: How many heavy songs does this album need? Once again, boring chorus. 4/10

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS: I feel like I could really like this song, but there's something off about the melody and it doesn't feel finished somehow. Still okay though. 6/10

CODA: This is a really beautiful outro. Almost makes me forget about all the average songs that came before it... 7/10

---

I haven't been able to get excited over The GazettE's for quite some time now, and sometimes I feel like I only listen to their songs because of nostalgic reasons, but I'm glad I gave this album a chance. Although I didn't really like most of the songs, I liked some of them and that's enough for now. Also, I feel this might have to do with me as well. The past few years I've started listening to much calmer music, so the more metal-like songs really don't appeal to me anymore. But I know a lot of GazettE fans do like metal, so they might like those songs more. For me, an album filled with ballads like REDO and LAST HEAVEN would have been great, but I can't expect that from them.

I can't say I'm disappointed though, because I had no expectations to begin with, and so in that sense it was better than expected.

Being the band that actually got me into VK scene, I have an undying loyalty to them that will cause me to always follow them. That being stated, I haven't been too impressed with them like many of you as of late. However, I always approach anything they do with optimism kind of like a puppy who is always glad their owner comes home after work. So here goes!

MALFORMED BOX: Probably their best intro song for any of their albums! Usually, I listen to the instrumental once and them skip over them the other times. This one can't be skipped at all! it sets up a perfect mood for what's too follow...5/5

INSIDE BEAST: With the lyrical content of this song and the children in the video/ possibly the background voices, I was like "WTF" lol, BUT this song is put together very well. A fun and catchy song that shows a great blend of their electric sound. Like someone mentioned before, the Gazette do it right this time by having an electronic lead and just flowing along with it instead of having it be an added bleep or so just for the sake of having an electronic noise. Always gets me dancing! 4/5

UNTIL IT BURNS OUT: I want to like this song a lot, but I find myself zoning out half way through it. I do like the chorus, but after hearing Inside Beast, this is kind of just standard. Nothing too special about this... song...2.5/5

DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER: Yeah sounds like a Manson song...I can hear it. However, this somehow feels more of a B-side on a single than a song that should be on an album. That being stated, I really enjoy a lot of Gazette's B-sides...I do commend them for exploring territory here (I don't think I've heard them do a Manson style song before), but it's not strong enough for an album 3/5

FADELESS: No...just no....I can't! This song never grows on me and I think it is the worse song Gazette has ever done...well...next to Break Me...ugh. Anyway, the female vocals in the chorus should be removed and overall it just bores me. 1/5 for a throwback rock sound.

REDO: A guilty pleasure of mine because it DOES remind me of Sumire and I adore Sumire! I like the dat-dat-dat and the whoo-hoo- hoo hoo at the end. Very mellow song that feels good to listen to on a nice long drive on a sunny day (I did this yesterday). 4/5

LAST HEAVEN: Not my favorite ballad of theirs, but definitely a solid one. I like this song, just not as much as everyone else. It is beautifully crafted...but something is missing from it that I can't put my finger on that stops it from being a "Reila" or "Chizuru" or "Kare Uta". I think maybe it's the safe factor...kind of in the line of "Pledge". 3/5

LOSS: The woman vocals are placed here PERFECTLY! Probably the best utilization they've had with female vocals. That pre-chorus literally gives me goosebumps. It just sounds so pleasant on my ears. During that part though, I would have Ruki hit some pretty high notes like he did in the second verse of "Hesitation Means Death"(around the 1:25 mark in that song). I would have just had Kai's drumming more slower pace BUT it doesn't take away from the enjoyable factor of this song. 4/5

THE STUPID TINY INSECT: I imagine this is a fun live song! If I was in the crowd at a concert, I would be all over this song head banging and jumping all over the place. This is like the Headache Man, the DISCHARGE, etc of the album that serves no purpose but to get the people hype and headbanging. I do EXACTLY that. 3.5/5

IN BLOSSOM: I like the whisper parts of this song, but I think they could have left out the overly heavy intro as it wasn't needed at all. The female vocals in the chorus are good. I think Ruki does a good job of vocal back and forth with the female vocals and he hits some nice high notes too. Decent, but not decent enough. 2.5/5

鴉: Reita! There you are! I think it's cool how Ruki is saying the lyrics, but at the same time, I remember a song that had a similar vocal technique in the past and I wasn't really into that song too much. I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I commend the different approach though. I feel more than any other song on here, this is a filler. 2/5 

黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅: The heavier parts are cool in this song, but the chorus really sucks things out of this song. I zoned out in this...2/5

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS: The female vocals are great in this song, but I feel Ruki could have performed better on his vocals in this song. It seems he doesn't try to stretch his range anymore which makes this song just "eh". If he would have played with some higher notes, the chorus would have sounded so pretty with the female vocals...bored with this...1.5/5

CODA: AN ALBUM OF THIS! THIS SH*T RIGHT HERE! HELL YEAH! My only wish is that this was a whole song! Perfect! more than 5/5!

Overall 3.5/5 - You know what I would LOVE from the Gazette!?! Another mini album! I feel like everytime they release a CD since being with Sony, they make 1/2 and 1/2 albums. 1/2 the songs are really cool or decently enjoyable. The other 1/2 is kind of boring or not a good look. 

Beautiful Deformity Mini album -Limited Type-

1. Maleformed Box

2. INSIDE BEAST

3. STUPID TINY INSECTS

4. LOSS

5. Redo

6. Last Heaven

7. CODA

with DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER  as an additional song on the regular edition. I think this would be their best mini album if they did that. This is definitely a more focused effort though compared to TOXIC and DIVISION! I really commend for that. The songs seem to flow in and out of each other really well. They finally were able to incorporate the electronic sound in a great way! None of the songs sound god awful (though I DO despise Fadeless), but non of the songs are on the caliber of INSIDE BEAST which is such a different type of song for them that it shades over most of the album (most NOT all). This album does prove the Gazette are NOT out of the fight yet and they are slowly making there way back to greatness. 

PROS:

-Ruki's screams and shouts sound really good in most of the songs

-The songs I listed for a mini album

-Kai! You did so amazing with your drumming!

-Aoi and Uruha playing different parts in the songs! woot!

-Female vocals are very effective

CONS:

-Though the female vocals are placed well, Ruki's vocals in a lot of the song sound one dimensional and boring...

-Reita, I still barely notice you and it SUCKS because YOU are my favorite bassist (but good job on Karasu...too bad Ruki's vocals F*CKED it up lol)!

-some of the chorus lines were boring...more do to Ruki's vocals...

CONS:

-Reita, I still barely notice you and it SUCKS because YOU are my favorite bassist (but good job on Karasu...too bad Ruki's vocals F*CKED it up lol)!

Bro, either you need to get better headphones or speakers. Reita is VERY VERY audible in this album. If its one thing the production and mixing corrected on that album is that. 

^ Bro, I didn't mean audio wise. I can hear the bass fine...I meant nothing too interesting is going on bassline wise IMO

I also thought you meant audio wise, haha

But still, the bassline sounded pretty interesting to me in "karasu". And I thought the bassline in REDO was pretty good too, in the other songs not so much :\

Oh! lol My bad. I guess I should have clarified better. But I do agree that in those two songs his bassline was interesting though I expect that from Karasu since he wrote that. lol

Ok, after listening through this album alot (20 times minimum) I have to say it gets worse.

I wanted this to grow on me (my first review not being that flattering) since I really like Gazette

Besides my respect for Inside Beasts drumroll/beat and the transition from Malformed box, nothing remains. I dont like this mess.

Until It Burns Out completely lost it's initial seduction potential with its good melancholic parts. This tune's chorus, along with Loss' chorus, sounds so childish to me now. Ruki's voice doesnt seem mature at all.

Devouring One Another is the only song that gets gradually better for me. Still not a favourite, but I like the different approach they took with this one. Definitely interesting.

Fadeless remains ok. Cool rocknroll tune but the female vocals kinda destroys this one.

Redo and Last Heaven. I am so sad about realizing that those two songs dont have longevity at all. I'm kinda bored by them now since they are really simple in their overall structure.

Loss: the only good thing about this song is the use of female vocals and that great short guitar thing introducing the 2nd verse.

The Stupid Tiny Insect. I imagine this song's lyrics are about Ruki lying in a hotel room wanting to get some sleep but some stupid tiny insects don't let him since they are all flying around his head going all "guru guru guru guru guru guru guru mawaru" and then when the chorus sets in ruki is full of rage and is going mad in his room killing all those stupid tiny insects with a rolled up newspaper in his hand.

Accompanied with this little funny situation in my head, this song wins. Which doesn't change anything on the fact that this song is completely bad and not worth being put on an album (which goes for 70 % of all the songs here).

Does anybody know the lyrics of this song? this is of huge interest to me.

In Blossom: Still good besides this useless first minute.

Karasu: I like the Verses with Ruki's screams and the females kind of responding to that. Still, so bad this song.

Kuroku: hahaha, SOOOO BAD.

To Dazzling Darkness. Good, but chorus could have been so much better.

CODA: as sad as it is, this is the only 5/5 on this album.

Final impression: Worst Album by gazette. I liked Division alot more (it had some great tracks with Ibitsu, Kage no Sanagi, Yoin, Kagefumi!) though Division is not good at all too.

I mean, you just cannot create an album which is build around one amazing and 3-4 good tracks and the rest falls flat. this simply doesnt work.

I'm really disappointed but I know they can do so much better so tonight i'm drinking to gazette's bright future. Cheers!