Rosebetz

the GazettE - BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY

Bro you like what you like. Yeah some of us may have our different opinions and such but all is good at the end of the day homie :)

. . . I have the utmost respect for Hellion now

Yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-m

But I do find myself being more and more fond of Stupid Tiny Insects. It totally replaces Headache Man, Discharge, and all the other numerous heavy songs like it (Ogre and more).

Yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-m

But I do find myself being more and more fond of Stupid Tiny Insects. It totally replaces Headache Man, Discharge, and all the other numerous heavy songs like it (Ogre and more).

That's very interesting actually. It sounded like one of the songs I didn't really like off of TOXIC. If anything id say 黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅 

is the replacement of Headache man. The studio version of Headache is perfect but it sounds hella awkward live.

For some reason, the clean vocals in that song just really rub me the wrong way and I don't like the chorus. I feel like it also drags on for no reason. I prefer songs like this to just get in and get the hell out. Give me 2:30 - 3:00 min of head banging and that's it. Just something I prefer. I agree about headache man sounding awkward live, but I do enjoy Ruki's headbanging to it during the DIM live DVD.

I gotta say, this album is slightly growing a bit more in a strange way. The songs that I already liked are getting better, but the songs that I don't like just keep getting worse. Kind of like the songs are polarizing.

Naturally, I keep bringing myself to comparing it to DIM. DIM was such a GazettE album, a beautiful album, that it has become the standard for which to rate The GazettE's albums after that. I apologize if you don't know these bands, but it's essentially the Colors album to Between The Buried and Me or Fortress album to Protest The Hero (Except Protest the Hero just beat out that standard with Volition which is to date the best metal album of 2013 IMO). It is an album so good that everything that follows will be compared to it and nothing will come close. With that being said, Beautiful Deformity is both getting closer to DIM than TOXIC and DIVISION were but it's still not close to it

This latest effort by The GazettE, while not unlistenable, failed to produce a song that really caught my ear after first listen until I reached Coda.

Even despite the universal praise for songs like Last Heaven and Inside Beast, I was not drawn to revisit them after the first full playthrough.

In fact, I have been listening to the album again and again, hoping that it grows on me to the point of changing my mind, but it is just not connecting like I hoped it would.

Personally, I like Division considerably more.  Tracks like 籠の蛹 [Kago no Sanagi], 影踏み [Kagefumi], Yoin, and Gabriel on the Gallows far surpass anything on Beautiful Deformity according to my tastes.

Listening to this album really felt a lot like listening to Toxic in my mind.  After the effort was finished, I wanted to like something, but I just didn't care enough to listen again.

That is not to say I hate it either.  This is The GazettE, and their overall style and sound really appeals to me, it just doesn't have a track that packs real punch like Filth in the Beauty or 13Stairs[-]1.

And despite the universal dislike for tracks like Loss and Until it Burns Out, I actually liked those tracks more than the others.  The agressive riffing and quick beat in the latter track produces a classic GazettE sound, even if it plays safe - it sounds good to me.  The melancholic tone and palm muted delayed verse guitar work of Loss are the exact type of touches that make me enjoy the track, and I like the build to the chorus.  I think this track is not as bad as the reviews it has received.

This is no DIM or NIL, but I would rank it above Toxic without a doubt.

If only they could build on the amazing mood and tone set by the closer Coda in the future albums, perhaps The GazettE can pull themselves out of this current slump they seem to be in.

The album's really grown on me after listening to it for like 2 weeks.

Songs I love are:

-Malformed Box:  I LOVE this intro. Best electronic one they've done so far and it goes into my top, right with the one from Dim and Disorder. 

-Inside Beast: I think they decently pulled of the electronic rock and I've always, for the most part, loved the female vocals in the GazettE's music.

-Devouring One Another: People have been talking about Marilyn Manson influences and I really enjoy it. This track has a kind of cool about it, kind of like My     Devil on the Bed. Not an outstanding track but within the context of the album I think it's nice.

-Redo: This track is just fun, light, and pretty catchy too. I think that's all this track is supposed to be.

-Last Heaven:  I agree when people say the GazettE have written much better ballads, but I like the instrumentals. I actually really enjoy Ruki's singing in this song, it's somewhat like how I sing. I like the solo, it's a casual listen, good to go.

-Loss: female vocals

-In Blossom: This is actually like my 2nd favorite song on the album. I like the heavy intro; it contradicts what you think the song might sound like with no false pretenses, but also leads into the more sober parts of the song without sounding out of place. At least IMO. most people don't seem to think so. What really attracts me is the use of female vocals in the melody.

-Karasu: I also really like this track. For me it's a throwback to their more chaotic, frenzy of an album Disorder. Ruki's vocals are actually interesting to me in this one as he sings in that overly dramatic style. I think the chorus could've been better. There isn't enough contrast between that and the pre-chorus so the chorus doesn't really stand out.

Kuroku:....I like the part where Ruki starts "rapping" and I actually like the chorus. It's different approach to the typical headbanging song.

Dazzling to Darkness: I like the instrumentals, Ruki's vocals are weak.

Coda: Self-explanatory, but I think it kinda gets too intense. At that point I think some nicely placed vocals would make it work. I'm not a fan of abrupt endings either, ESpecially for a closer. You just get pulled back into reality to quick. It's like, "songs done, now get back to work"

So, I think the songs alone don't hold much impact but to me it's a perfect album. It's a cohesive listen. On a more personal level, the musical style on this album more fits my taste than Division or Toxic. For example, I love the use of female vocals in every song. It's just a quality that I like. But I mean, my favorite album by the GazettE is Disorder. and THEN Dim (Wahht???). I really liked their punk, anti-social, rebel style.

I'd give this a 7/10.

"Back to basics". That definition was spot on. This is exactly what I'd expect the love-child of NIL and SR to be. Usually their music is nothing what they say it's gonna be, but for the first time ever, they gave us what they promised.

I do agree with people that they've forgotten how to make memorable melodies. The whole album was very well done and sounds like they really put some effort in there, but "The Hook" is missing. That said, I do like this album. Much better than Division. I honestly don't remember a single song from that and have found zero reasons to go back at it, despite listening to it several times. Can't say it's better than Toxic because this is so different. Toxic had amazing single-songs, but everything around them pretty much sucked. This one lacks any of those supersongs like Pledge and Vortex, but there's not a single song here that I would call shit, except for maybe Fadeless.

I can't pick any favorites, it's all quite decent. Redo is something they haven't done since SR and I've really missed that since I really like those chilly rock-songs. I'm sure that was composed by Kai. Though I hated how Loss almost had an awesome solo, but then it just ended! Fuck you guys. And I have to agree with most people here; Coda is the best tune of the album. It sounded like some intro of a folk metal song, with gaze-style. They could've done some great things with that, but then again, atleast they didn't screw it up.

Someone said that they'd like Gazette more with a different vocalist. I think that sums up pretty well the case of Gazette. Imagine if this album was made by some american newcomer-band with a great vocalist as their first album. I'm pretty sure they'd be fucking praised. But this is the Gazette, this is the VK-scene, they've been around for a decade and released way too many songs in their career that it all just blends together to some weird deformity where only a few gems stand out. But I guess it's still quite a beautiful deformity. (SEE WHAT I DID THAR)

I'd give this a solid 3/5

I recently did a listening session with CAT5 and we revisited this album together, and while i can't fully speak for CAT5 I do have to say i definitely hear the influences of their previous work in this. There was even a few tracks that screamed NIL or Stacked Rubbish... and even a few that screamed out DIM. Personally after DIM their music went south for me and I jumped on the gazehate wagon, however I'm going to hope off the wagon for this album because i feel that the production was on point and while some (about 2) songs didn't cut it for me, the overall album had a great flow. I think to be able to combine so many scattered sounds in to a way that flows nicely and sets a specific atmosphere is a great accomplishment, and an impressive one at that. 

I think this album deserves at least an 8, but based on personal preference I'm going with a 9.

I recently did a listening session with CAT5 and we revisited this album together, and while i can't fully speak for CAT5 I do have to say i definitely hear the influences of their previous work in this. There was even a few tracks that screamed NIL or Stacked Rubbish... and even a few that screamed out DIM. Personally after DIM their music went south for me and I jumped on the gazehate wagon, however I'm going to hope off the wagon for this album because i feel that the production was on point and while some (about 2) songs didn't cut it for me, the overall album had a great flow. I think to be able to combine so many scattered sounds in to a way that flows nicely and sets a specific atmosphere is a great accomplishment, and an impressive one at that. 

I think this album deserves at least an 8, but based on personal preference I'm going with a 9.

I have to agree mostly. It's been over a year since I listened to this album it's it's entirety and I have to say that I'm so much more impressed with it this time around. Listening to an album fresh, long after all the hype has died down definitely helps to get a clearer picture...especially because you're listening to ACTUALLY listen...not just so you can have an opinion to throw in the pot while the stove is still hot, ya know?

Definitely better than TOXIC and DIVISION, and I can also hear how they drew inspiration from both NIL and SR. Some of the tracks weren't necessarily impressive, but they weren't "bad" either. The tracks that DID standout I plan on incorporating into my normal rotation, though.

This isn't a proper review, but if I were to give it a score, it would be a 7/10. Well done, cohesive album with a few really great moments. I'm glad that sweetholm got me to revisit this!

I still listen to RED and DERANGEMENT now and than, but this entire album has never made it back to my playlist, idk.

I'd love them to release something fresh after giving arche a proper listen <3

I still listen to RED and DERANGEMENT now and than, but this entire album has never made it back to my playlist, idk.

I'd love them to release something fresh after giving arche a proper listen <3

Newfound enjoyment aside, I STILL can't get over "INSIDE BEAST" sounding like a remix of this:

So after a little more than a year, my thoughts still remained the same. Like a couple of their previous albums, it's above average at best.

The tracks I like are:

REDO - Probably the most refreshing song in this album even though it may sound like a very generic pop rock compared to other bands. Aoi's lovely guitar lines makes me pick up a guitar.

LAST HEAVEN - I find Gazette's ballads generally pretty good. Really nice acoustics in the verse section.

LOSS - Kai's drumming really stood out in this song. I like the composition in this overall. It transitions well from the verse to that 2 parter pre-chorus & chorus. Oh those female vocals, gotta love'em. :P

THE STUPID TINY INSECT - I love the wacky nature of this track. There's something comedic about it while maintaining the heaviness behind it. I'm glad it was short, otherwise it would've been repetitive. Also the one Gazette song where I used to make my AMV (insert shameless self plugin).

Kuroku sunda sora to zangai to kata shi - The first 30-40 sec made think it was gonna be another random headbanging songs but thankfully, there was actually more substance here. I really like the chorus.

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS - I'm a sucker for heavy songs with serious tones to it. Ruki's voice kinda makes this underwhelming though, even the female vocals! The breakdown portion is great, it's the one section I always rewind to.

CODA - It's funny that this outro outshines everything in this album. Finally I can hear Reita's bass lines without pumping my bass volume. The acoustic lines in the last 30 sec reminds me of Sugizo's style which I really like.

If I were to give it a score, it'd be a 6/10.

Newfound enjoyment aside, I STILL can't get over "INSIDE BEAST" sounding like a remix of this:

That song is one of the reasons why I cannot stand 2NE1. The production on almost all their songs are very unappealing.....Id much rather INSIDE BEAST.

As for BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY, I still feel the same way about it when it dropped. Also the live finale was really amazing. It really helps when you lower your expectations for an "overhyped" album. It was easy for me to do that because I was already on bad terms with the band after TOXIC and DIVISION.

Its still one of the best albums that dropped last year and the bands best work in a long time. 

MALFORMED BOX

I think this was one of their best instrumental tracks. The Indian elements sound really interesting and the way it segues into the next track is perfect. I enjoy their intros but this one stands out to me.

INSIDE BEAST

This was one of the highlights on the album for me. The chorus is catchy and the use of female vocals was great. I also liked the sound of the drums. Thematically it fits with the album's cover. The electronic elements were used well.

UNTIL IT BURNS OUT

In my opinion, the most forgettable song in the album, kind of like In the Middle of Chaos was for DIM. Nothing stands out and it just sounds boring.

DEVOURING ONE ANOTHER

A great track. For me the highlight was the part towards the end where Ruki is speaking in Japanese. I like how he repeats "Am I next?" It gave me a sense of tension building up. I liked the intro too. It sounded very unique. The female vocals fit well too.

FADELESS

I didn't really like this track. Even though I liked Stacked Rubbish, I just don't feel this song is at that level. It is not as dull as UNTIL IT BURNS OUT but there are still no parts that grabbed my attention. The female vocals were distracting, and even the intro wasn't anything special.

REDO

This track was okay. It was a bit light for my taste but as a ballad it is fine. I wish there had been more emotion in the track. Pretty cool to hear a track composed by Kai though.

LAST HEAVEN

I didn't really notice this song while listening to the album the first few times but it has grown on me as I have listened to it more and more. I definitely noticed more emotion in this song than in REDO, and the chorus seems more catchy. The solo was great!

LOSS

I usually like songs composed by Uruha the best, and this song was no exception. The intro was just amazing. It didn't quite turn out to be the song I expected, but it was still great. The theme of the song was pretty sad and it definitely contributed to the emotion I felt. The female vocals were spot on and not used to excess. The mood of the song made me feel like it would fit on DIM, and the way the song ended with that phrase made it resonate with me. One of the best songs on the album, in my opinion.

THE STUPID TINY INSECT

This track was so-so. I think it tries to be heavy but doesn't go in that direction enough. It's interesting that the title uses an animal though. It made me think of other animal songs by the GazettE.

IN BLOSSOM

Great track. The heavy intro is cool, but the song after that is even better. The first few verses were depressing (in a good way) and set the mood for the rest of the song. For me, the best parts were when Ruki sang in Japanese. I think his voice is amazing during those parts, and the pairing with female vocals makes it even better.

I would rate this track a bit higher than THE STUPID TINY INSECT. It has a rough and unpolished sound, making it sound kind of rebellious to me. The vocals are a little better than in THE STUPID TINY INSECT, though, and I think the Japanese parts sound pretty catchy.

黒く澄んだ空と残骸と片翅

One of my favorite heavy songs by the GazettE. I think it is interesting how it is the counterpart of 春ニ散リケリ、身ハ枯レルデゴザイマスwhere this time it is written from the perspective of the butterfly. The intro is great. Again, the subject is depressing but Ruki's vocals are very good, and the ending of the song was well-done too.

TO DAZZLING DARKNESS

This track and CODA are tied for best track on the album. When I heard the preview with this song's opening in the background, I couldn't wait to hear the whole song, and I was not disappointed. For me this song is up there with 泣ヶ原 and DIM SCENE as one of my favorite GazettE songs. One of the best intros I have heard from the GazettE, and the song keeps the atmosphere throughout. The fact that the song is about the end of a live is poignant concerning this track's placement in the album. Ruki's voice in this song is haunting and I was definitely able to tell that this song was composed by Uruha.

CODA

Amazing. Definitely the best outro instrumental of the GazettE. The seamless transition between the previous track and this one makes it difficult to separate them. The guitars in this track are superb, and the way Ruki speaks the lyrics complements them very nicely. The atmosphere of the song definitely sticks with you after it ends; that is how good it is.

Overall, I would say this album is definitely better than TOXIC and DIVISION. Most of the songs are very enjoyable, which was not something I could say for either of the previous two albums. It sounded like the GazettE put a lot of work into this album. This is my third favorite album, after DIM and NIL. For me, what sets those two apart from BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY is the atmosphere of the album as a whole. The songs in DIM and NIL were cohesive and made sense together, combining to create a great album. While BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY has many great songs, it is hard to describe what the album represents as a whole. With that said, I still think this is one of their best albums.

Jesus, I think I spilled too much incomprehensible garbage on this one:

Now that I've returned back to Gazerepertoire with much more "critic" / "expecting" views, I would consider this record to be the most cohesive record (while still sporting that "back and forth" thing Reita talked about in terms of their pre-DOGMA releases) - each song doesn't sound too off in the context, not to mention the fact that they've managed to condense specific songwriter elements in this release ("Beautiful Deformity" fits in that sense as a title) , without making it too bloated (DIM) or totally directionless (NIL).

Call me a propagandist of music listening habits if you wish - but I still think people should judge the album by its entirety rather than separate songs (DIM or SR might totes win in the "standalone tune" department but fail badly as proper albums).

I refrain from ratings in favor of much better, briefer summary: I can see myself coming back to this release every now and then. Furthermore, I don't have to keep my skip button ready in case I face sudden incohesive abnormalities or such along the way*. For once, Gazette finally did something that feels like an "album" from western POV too. (note: @Jigsaw9 and @CAT5 sharing their pro-BD views might have influenced me to delve deeper into what Gazeboys have cooked here, oops)

*cases in point:

a ) DIM, while having a good share of strong standalone tunes, suffered from its overall bloatness, questionable ordering (Headache Man -> Guren, really?) and interludes that didn't do much for some songs ("Mousou" as a case in point).

b  ) SR, while being the best introduction to post-Gazetto era "more alternative" direction, had shadows of NIL-ian inconsistency haunting all over the place - you've gotta wonder why they put "Ganges" or "People Error" (examples) there in the first place