CAT5

What do (or did) your parents listen to?

The music that really stuck with me from when I was younger was The Allman Brothers Band from my Dad specifically Ramblin' Man and Midnight Rider, then there's Jimmy Buffet with 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' ><

Now...names I seem to recall are The Climax Blues Band and something to do with bluegrass banjos...

My mum tends to be more open minded and I seem to have got her into Nightmare's anima album (specifically message) and she tends to be fine with a lot of my Japanese stuff as long as the vocals aren't too harsh. We also play a little game whenever I have my ipod on shuffle if a song by either DEG, Alice Nine or the Gazette comes on (as those were some of the first bands I got into) she tries to guess which one it is. Also Kaggra's Core album seems to have grown on most of my family, which is nice. Music seems better when you can share it with someone...
And in terms of more modern stuff she seems to be really keen on The Black Keys. It was Mumford and Sons but she quickly grew bored of them...

But in terms of background I wasn't that interested in music when I was younger so I didn't really pay attention to a lot of the things that were played but I do remember Madonna, Kylie, Pink and the Scissor Sisters being played on long car journeys. Now I clearly have more of an interest in music (no shit sherlock) I tend to associate my mum with Dire Straits and more classical stuff and I think she was more into softer rock??? Don't know the specifics. While my dad...more bluesy and country along with Kate Bush, All About Eve and some synthpop like New Order. When they married the only overlap they had in music was Simply Red and U2.

My dad doesn't really listen to music. My mom is into stuff that you can dance to. They listen to stuff that are even older than their generation (wtf, seriously?)

But I do appreciate the James Brown CD that my mom listened to a lot in the car. I'm like, "DAT INTRO" and "DAT BASS LINE". Yeah.

My dad listened to a lot of Queen and Electric Light Orchestra so I grew up loving these two bands.

He also listened to a lot of Korean oldies so people like Lee Moon Sae, Seo Taiji, Jo Ha Moon, and Jo Yung Pil.

Strangely, even though I love those groups, I listen to much heavier music.

Here's one of my favorites by Lee Moon Sae.

It's called "the beginning of the end"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oci4KpDpMu8

my parents are huge fans of music, my dad listened to kool and the gang, Casiopea, Richard Clayderman, Indonesians oldies, Led zeppelin and such (latter he listened to X Japan too). I found many old cassettes I couldnt mention all of them :P

Mom has a pretty similar music taste to my dad, but not with the rock music. She listens to Celine Dion, Gospel songs and she also doesn't mind listening to what I listen to. She's okay with some Blur/L'Arc/Mitsume songs :D

Mum is strictly into Kate Bush. Nothing else matters. She only likes a few tracks on mainstream music TV, but that's it. It's hilarious trying to show her anything else because she instantly says it's bad and doesn't give it a chance.

Nan is into the old classics like Elvis, her favourite. She's a lot more open to music but that's because she's way too sweet and doesn't mind listening to even Vocaloid and DEATHGAZE. Rock on, nanny~

Literal necro time:

I and my dad (who, well, passed away years ago) used to share same affinity for anything "U2-lite" (well, in my case it's Laruku haha), Steely Dan (which became more prominent in my taste after rediscovering them along with this whole city pop thing) and CSN (I still feel ashamed to admit this).

My mom on the other hand is more or less about "overemotional vocal antics" and she always approved my liking for folks akin to Hyde (oops) or so on. But in all seriousness, our tastes sorta collided in enjoying "ethereal" acts : in her case it would be Enya and Enigma, while in my case it would be Kate Bush and Cocteau Twins...if that even makes any sense at all.

Both of them were stricly against this whole """""degenerate rock""""" culture (see: what me and our overall community enjoys, methinks?) and it took a while for them to digest my affinity for "pretty much anything as long as it doesn't end sounding too pedestrian".

So, no matter how "embarrassing" this may sound:my ties with my parents kinda led me to this "closed loop" of enjoying things they used to jam to as well around the same age.

My mom is really open-minded. She is very willing to absorb whatever is going on around her. Growing up she liked The Beatles (her favourite was George, for some reason), David Bowie, Al Green and a lot of other big artists from the 60s and 70s, and while she is still really fond of stuff from her youth, she also listens to current radio stations and always checks out the big award shows and stuff, which I think is pretty cool.

We bond the most over music when we listen to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap together. It's always fun when she's like "What, you don't know this one?" when he plays some pop hit from the 60s.

My dad was a bit more selective. He really liked classical music, but I remember that he also liked songs like Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" and enjoyed upbeat stuff like Bon Jovi and The Go-Gos.

Edited by violetchain

My parents are both listen to pop music like Abba,Madonnna, Michael Jackson, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and old rock music like Elvis Presley, Queen, Edda. My mom likes reggie too. They both hate visual kei.

I grew up with my dad blasting his Mexican music on the radio in the backyard; ironically that's how I developed an appreciation for foreign music. Recently tho, ever since he moved, he's been listening to jazz (👍) and mainstream pop music (👎)...

My mom is an avid fan of classic r&b and country music.  That's why I actually have a soft spot for country unlike most people... modern country music is a different story, however.  

And that's how I developed my unique music taste that often avoids mainstream or other popular artists. :)

Edited by sheepprincessgara

My mom loves her Spanish music especially bachata but she's also really into A7X, Green Day and metalcore bands. 

My mom loves classic rock, 80s pop music, and metal. She actually used to go to a lot of concerts when she was young and I'm quite jealous of the bands and artists she's seen (Jethro Tull, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, Heart, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.) 

She's also gotten into some of the older vk bands I like (mostly BUCK-TICK)

My dad likes music from the 50s to the 80s. He's not a huge music person like my mom is so I can't really name artists he likes other than Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. 

My mom like 80s/90s ballads and r&b music along with traditional music.

My father like a bit of everything thing. He introduced me to rock and metal alongside classical music. He also listen to surf rock which I can't stand.

I grew up on a nice mix. From my mom I listened to Dixie Chicks, Metallica, and Janet Jackson. My dad always listened to the generic rock radio that played all the older hair bands.

this is an interesting topic... i remember listening to beck, junkhouse, johnny cash, butthole surfers, xtc, sinead o'connor, alice cooper, eels, talking heads (apparently i loved "psycho killer" as a baby?) among others in the car as a kid with my parents. they've also introduced me to some more recent stuff like black lips, black rebel motorcycle club, and black keys before they blew up.

my mom is a huge led zep fan and she also likes pink floyd, black sabbath, david bowie & neil young a lot. my dad's tastes are a little more eclectic and he's a big fan of old ass country, old blues (stuff like screamin jay hawkins) and 50s rock in addition to the kind of stuff my mom likes.

... basically i'm outclassed by my parents in the musical taste department in every way 🤔 i think they were glad i started listening to bands when the boy band craze died and  i became a tween, even if they didn't understand them

My dad: Kiss, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Santana, EZO, Van Halen, Prince, David Bowie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead, Skid Row, Guns n' Roses, Meat Loaf, Queen, Megadeth, Slayer, New York Dolls

My mom: Alice Cooper, Chicago, Led Zeppelin, ABBA, Ace of Base, The Beatles, ELO, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Three Dog Night, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Warrant, Lady Gaga

I was super blessed with my dad being very open with music when I started to discover visual kei when I was ten.  He dug a lot of late '90s and early 2000s bands; plus he loved the "crazy looks" because it reminded him of Kiss, Bowie, Prince, and the 'Dolls.   My mom, on the other hand, hated visual kei and tried to stop me from listening to it because I shouldn't be listening to music in another language.  To the point she would delete all of the mp3s I had on the computer a couple of times.

Ooh this is a cool topic!

My parents listen to a mix of soviet rock and pop, western rock bands (Queen, AD/DC, Aerosmith) old MTV hits and current alt rock. It's actually fun to think about how their tastes in music developed, influenced by their environment. They grew up during the perestroika, when all the fun began - local artists could record without getting shit from the government and it was a lot easier to get your hands on western music. Then the 90s came along and they (especially my mom) were glued to MTV. So I grew up listening to a bunch of styles and genres. One of my first memories is how when I was a kid my mom and I would wait for Erasure's Always video to come up on MTV. lol

But Russian rock is definitely their favorite. One of the songs we'd listen to a lot during car rides etc. was Chto Takoye Osen ("what's autumn") by DDT. These guys are pretty cool, and I was surprised to find out they're still active.

Spoiler

I think this song is one of the reasons I'm drawn to very... emotional, Nostalgia-kei stuff. So much feels in that voice! Another thing I like about soviet/Russian rock is that many bands seemed to sing about space. Even the chorus of the one I linked to above goes "autumn, there are ships waiting in the sky/ autumn, it would be nice to get away from Earth" -- I don't blame you man.

Another family favorite is this gem:

Spoiler

It's basically all about "we're in space, our mothers miss us, we dream about the green green grass on Earth".

Kinda makes me wonder how they never got into David Bowie. :P

tl;dr my parents like rock music and songs about space and this is why I'm weird.

On 2015/3/29 at 10:11 AM, beni said:

Mum is strictly into Kate Bush. Nothing else matters. She only likes a few tracks on mainstream music TV, but that's it. It's hilarious trying to show her anything else because she instantly says it's bad and doesn't give it a chance.

That's pretty awesome, lol. I love Kate Bush.

My dad was a country music fan and my mom also likes country, but also a lot of oldies from the 50s-70s. Think those VH1 specials they'd run about Fleetwood Mac or The Mamas and the Papas. However she did like a lot of 80s and early 90s stuff I grew up with, too. There's quite a few artists we can bond over like Stevie Nicks, Blondie, etc. My mom was really into Boy George/glam rock at some point, and so me getting into visual kei didn't seem that weird to her.

I grew up without having any concept of my mom's taste in music, she never seemed to actively listen to much of anything at all. I'm sure she had her preferences in her youth, but they did not cross over to her adult years. I vaguely recall asking her once about her nonexistent interest in music, but I can't remember her response.

My dad listens to whatever cringy Romanian pop is on TV and also inexplicably loves Nightwish. He also loved opening all the windows in our home and blaring Nightwish on full volume for the whole world to hear, to my utter horror. He also sabotaged my Last.fm one time too many. I know he used to be into Depeche Mode when he was young, sadly not anymore. Surely would have been preferable to what he's into now.

Thinking back, I have no idea how my and my sister's voracious appetite for music came about since it surely wasn't cultivated in our household in any way. In fact, I have more memories of our dad asking us to "turn that damn cassette player off already" than anything else. Years later, he finally and inadvertently took his revenge on us with Nightwish I guess, with mostly me bearing the brunt of it while my sister had escaped to college in the capital.

My dad never was really too into music from what I could tell. Around highschool he started listening to XM top 40's. My mom was pretty much only into church music. In something the apple does fall far from the tree. Somehow both me and my wife only listen to metal, even met at a metal concert. 

Man, you guys have some pretty cool parents, haha.

My dad is really into country music. Really, really into country music. Pretty sure that's the only genre of music he listens to and is willing to listen to. Maybe that's to be expected when you lived in the southern United States your entire life, I guess? Circa 1980-something, I suppose.

My mom likes everything. Honestly, everything. She's kind of like me in the sense that she doesn't confine herself to one particular style or genre. She'll sit and listen to my dad's twangy, "I-drink-beer-and-ride-on-tractors" songs often, but I noticed that when she's by herself, she'll mainly listen to R&B, hip-hop, and rap. She likes jazz, some metal. She's all over the board. She'll give anything chance.

During my early years of discovering visual kei, when I was about 14 to 16 years old, she was pretty interested in it and would listen and watch PVs with me. She obviously never became a big fan or anything, but she likes GACKT a lot and thinks Yoshiki is pretty. She also knows some of the words to some of Acid Black Cherry's stuff, which hey, in my book, is super cool.

Man this is interesting to read! I wish my partents would have listen to my type of music... 

actually they went nuts when they've heard fom my taste in music. My dad used to put the radio on like my mum or listen to emberassing "Ballermann" music. There is an example below if you are brave enough. My mum started listening to Adoro, Gregorian, Unheilig and stuff... I actually went to 3 concerts with her which is pretty cool. My mum even dyed her hair way crazier than me. Pink-Blue-Red-Violet O_O