Original Saku

Anime/Manga Recommendation Topic

Okay so I thought since we pretty much use the currently watching thread as a discussion thread for everything anime we should probably stop that and make separate threads for discussing certain anime topics. The first of those threads will be this recommendation topic. So the idea is if you want to watch/read a new anime/manga but have no idea where to start then you could come here and put in a request for a REC preferably detailing either the kind of anime/manga you would like to watch/read or the type of anime/manga that you are into, and then someone will come along and recommend something based on your preferences. The recommendation should include basic info about the anime/manga including somewhat of an synopsis and your opinion of the anime/manga, I would prefer everyone to detail certain aspects of the show/book (i.e. plot, story, characters, setting, etc.) also you should make sure to include why you think that person will enjoy this anime/manga. Now I don't expect everyone to write an entire ten page review of the anime/manga but i believe at least a paragraph should suffice, but by all means write more if you feel like it :) Another thing to mention is that you don't have to wait for somebody to request a REC for you to post here, if you want just come in and leave a random recommendation, someone will read it and might just decide to watch. Just make sure you follow all the guidelines detailed in this post.

Here is a few examples of what you should expect a recommendation to look like:

Slice of life anime with some drama elements, but don't let that fool you this anime can get intense and is anything but boring like some Slice animes can get. it has two seasons both 25 episodes a piece and does a great job at making you like and sympathize with the characters. Not to mention the premises for the show; (Chihaya the main character learning what she wants to do and realizing her dream of becoming the number one female karuta player in japan), is rather unique considering karuta is like super unknown outside of japan and I myself had absolutely no idea what it was going into the show for the first time. So not only are the character's interesting the story intense but the game itself that they play in the show is something entirely new to the viewer so it's kinda like you are learning something new and interesting while watching.

What is there to say about this one other than amazing. Seriously I have nothing bad to say about it, loved every second of it. This is what I expect out of the sci-fi genre in Japan fast paced action, gore, mystery, and most of all the thrills. Yes this series will keep you on the edge of your chair all throughout and rarely disappoints, also it has a good episode count at 22 episodes so it's not entirely dragged out. The best thing is that it was just confirmed earlier this month that there will be a second season and a movie in the works. no confirmation on if the new season will have returning characters or not but seeing how the first season ended I believe it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume that yes they will be returning with probably some new additions to the cast or maybe a new main character possibly. If I had to say what the one thing that is the best aspect of this show it would be the setting, even though it's sci-fi I can totally see the premise of "psycho passes"  becoming reality in the future, it's not totally farfetched and you can clearly see a lot of similarities between the problems and outlooks of the characters in the show with certain aspects of the real world that we live in, which obviously the writers took some inspiration from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj6d6-4z5gQ

If you notice I included a link to the MAL page for each one for two different reasons. one; because I didn't fully detail the entire premises and synopsis of the anime/manga, and two; the person the recommendation is intended for might want to look more into the anime/manga itself, such as stuff that wasn't included in the REC (i.e. # of episodes/chapters, animation studio/author, source material, voice actors, etc.). There are also reviews on MAL too, so if they wanted a more in depth or a different perspective they could look there for it. Now you don't have to include a MAL link since they could just look it up themselves but for the sake of productivity I recommend including one. You are also allowed to embed a video of the OP for anime's, this way people can get an idea of how the anime looks and feels before watching, but just like the MAL link this is not mandatory.

One last thing I want to mention is that I don't intend for this thread to become a review topic for anime/manga, so please try to keep your recommendations limited, what I mean by this is it's okay to type more than a paragraph but don't go overboard and type over a dozen paragraphs, no one is gonna read a wall of text when all they're looking for is a quick anime/manga recommendation... Originally I was gonna make this a recommendation / review thread since people can use reviews for REC's a lot of the time, but after lamenting over how I would implement it into the same thread and be able to keep it neat and organized I decided it was gonna be too much of a problem so I decided to separate the two ideas. But don't worry if what you want is a full review thread then I can tell you I'm working out the idea in my head right now. It will be coming soon, but more on that later :D

Now let's get this thread started, Remember this isn't gonna work if no one posts so please please please let's not let this topic die due to inactivity like so many other threads have succumbed to.

One Outs (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5040/One_Outs)
one of my favorite animes ever. i'm a big fan of mind games, strategies and gambling in general, so i do like what the main character, Tokuchi Toa, is doing during whole series. using his intellect he is overcoming people with impressive physical abilities. it shows us that baseball is not the game when you can win only by using your muscles, you also need to analyze the situation and build win strategy much more than in other kind of sport. 
when my friend recommended me this he said: "hey, you should watch it! it's even better than DESU NOTO". well, yes, the deduction part is better, but the main plot is pretty weak, like in the most of sport's animes. but still it's an awesome anime.
also i can recommend this is for guys who likes korean drama Liar Game. both (Liar Game and One Outs) mangas are from the same genious mangaka - Shinobu Kaitani. so if only anime wouldn't be enough for you, you can read the continuation in manga. and i hope you will enjoy it as much as i did ;)

edit: also decided to add an opening theme, because it's great! but completly in different mood than anime lol Pay money To my Pain FTW!

One Outs (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5040/One_Outs)

one of my favorite animes ever. i'm a big fan of mind games, strategies and gambling in general, so i do like what the main character, Tokuchi Toa, is doing during whole series. using his intellect he is overcoming people with impressive physical abilities. it shows us that baseball is not the game when you can win only by using your muscles, you also need to analyze the situation and build win strategy much more than in other kind of sport. 

when my friend recommended me this he said: "hey, you should watch it! it's even better than DESU NOTO". well, yes, the deduction part is better, but the main plot is pretty weak, like in the most of sport's animes. but still it's an awesome anime.

also i can recommend this is for guys who likes korean drama Liar Game. both (Liar Game and One Outs) mangas are from the same genious mangaka - Shinobu Kaitani. so if only anime wouldn't be enough for you, you can read the continuation in manga. and i hope you will enjoy it as much as i did ;)

Nice I didn't know about this one, so I'll check it out next time I have a rainy day with nothing to do :D

btw thanks for posting I was kinda getting a little depressed that no one was participating... but it's all good let's get this thread alive everybody xD

totally missed this thread, but here is for my first contribution an anime that is a few years old (2006) and perhaps went a little under the radar for some people.

Ergo Proxy http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy

this anime is awesome. it's undeniably anime but at the same time has a very unique vibe to it. it's very dark, toned down and silent. very mature i'd say (and not in the sense that there's just more gore...)
it's basically a dystopian (maybe post-apocalyptic) psychological sci-fi story that also incorporates a slight romance and quite a dose of supernatural mystery of sorts i guess. think of it as a mixture of the matrix, mad max, Blade Runner, A.I., the Crow and a bunch of other influences aswell.

as such it manages to incorporate a vast variety of pretty thought-heavy themes as where does life begin, artificial life end, human evolution and the moral limits of science, conspiracies, freedom vs. security etcetc. it clearly isn't there just to be watched for fun, but that doesn't stop it to be absolutely visually outstanding in, as mentioned earlier, very dark tone and in a sort of cyber-punk/gothic look.

while this now might sound to be all over the place believe me it is all crafted into a very beautiful and gripping story that spans over a total of 23 episodes.

also another strong point that is far too rare in anime is an extremely strong female lead. this angsty dark-cloaked girl with a shotgun is not for being rescued general annoyance, she's seriously cool.

i added the OP to the post, which can give a quick impression of the general "feel" of the anime if that's ok. otherwise i'll just remove it again :)

EDIT: btw it is completely streamable (Japanese with english subs) on the funimation-channel on youtube as i see it...

totally missed this thread, but here is for my first contribution an anime that is a few years old (2006) and perhaps went a little under the radar for some people.

i added the OP to the post, which can give a quick impression of the general "feel" of the anime if that's ok. otherwise i'll just remove it again :)

EDIT: btw it is completely streamable (Japanese with english subs) on the funimation-channel on youtube as i see it...

no that's totally fine and actually is a great idea, if anyone else wants to add the OP to their recommendations then please feel free to do so :)

ahhh, Ergo Proxy is also one of my faves <3 really great characters and the overall atmosphere in that anime. i approve of this :P

30m8kr4.jpg

Manga: 7 Seeds

First released in 2002, ongoing.

http://mangafox.me/manga/7_seeds/

Scientists had predicted this disaster, and in response, the leaders of every country met to develop a plan for human survival before the meteor hit. The Seven Seeds project was developed out of this meeting. Each country froze a number of young healthy people, which allowed them to survive the meteor. After the computer determined that Earth was once again safe for human life, it released them into the world.

The Japanese government created five groups of survivors: Winter group, Spring group, Summer group A, Summer group B, and Fall group. Each group consisted of seven members and one guide. The guide carried small tubes of poison on their necks to allow them to end their lives if their situation became unbearable. The Japanese government prepared seven "Fuji" as refuges for the groups. In each Fuji, the group would find seeds and numerous books instructing them on survival in the wilderness.

7 Seeds won the 2007 Shogakukan Manga Award for shoujo manga.

Survival manga makes me happy in the pants, heart, and brain. I just love this manga so much that I HAVE to share it. It's my first manga recommendation EVER. Seriously.

-------------------------------------------------------

153y5np.jpg

Anime: Bamboo Blade

26 episodes, complete

Watch the whole series on FUNimation's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0tCekaaKc&list=PL208283CA6D7FC203

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=8455

Toraji Ishida is a high school kendo teacher. His friend and fellow kendo teacher makes him a bet: if Ishida can assemble a girls' kendo team that can defeat his girls' team in a practice match, he'll treat Ishida to free meals at his father's sushi restaurant for a whole year. Now Ishida must find five girls to join the team.

*shrug* It's funny and just about the only anime I've made my loved ones watch (it's one of the few animes that 1.) I remember and 2.) my friends haven't watched already). "Miya Miya!" Plus, I like kendo....

Not sure if I ever asked about this here, but I am looking for certain types of anime. Not sure if I'll ever find anything like it, but it's woth a try.

Anime noir. Does it exist?

Anime crime. Something dark and serious.

Anime horror. Again something dark and serious.

I'm not looking for some lighthearted crime or horror. I want something dark, serious and grown up. I'll take films as well. What are the chances of finding something like this in the world of anime?

Not sure if I ever asked about this here, but I am looking for certain types of anime. Not sure if I'll ever find anything like it, but it's woth a try.

I'm not looking for some lighthearted crime or horror. I want something dark, serious and grown up. I'll take films as well. What are the chances of finding something like this in the world of anime?

It's definitely there. I've seen a few serious things myself but they're usually just slice-of-life rather than the dark stuff. Can't come up with anything right now but you should be able to find it.

If I think of anything I'll drop it here.

Dude, you have to try out Monster (74-ep series), it's like a perfect combination of what you listed. :D (I myself haven't watched it yet all the way through, only up till like ep.40-something, but it was pretty good)

These are also worth a try in my opinion:

Another (12-ep series)

Ayakashi (11-ep series)

Blood: the Last Vampire (movie, not the series)

Boogiepop Phantom (12-ep series)

Perfect Blue (movie)

Wicked City (movie)

Also maybe Paprika (movie) and Paranoia Agent (series) but those are more along the lines of psychological / weird / sci-fi-ish thrillers.

Dude, you have to try out Monster (74-ep series), it's like a perfect combination of what you listed. :D (I myself haven't watched it yet all the way through, only up till like ep.40-something, but it was pretty good)

These are also worth a try in my opinion:

Another (12-ep series)

Ayakashi (11-ep series)

Blood: the Last Vampire (movie, not the series)

Boogiepop Phantom (12-ep series)

Perfect Blue (movie)

Wicked City (movie)

Also maybe Paprika (movie) and Paranoia Agent (series) but those are more along the lines of psychological / weird / sci-fi-ish thrillers.

Also MAYBE The Big O, it has some mystery/noir elements. It also has giant robots though, so if that's not your thing...

Oh, and Ergo Proxy maybe? It's got cyberpunk and neo-noir influences.

Paranoia Agent definitely has some psychological horror elements going for it. It's definitely one of the best anime series out there.

Seen some of the stuff mentioned here (Ergo Proxy, Wicked City, Perfect Blue, Paprika) but I'll check out the others. And I don't mind robots or stuff like that. As far as this go I don't mind if it's sci-fi noir, horror noir, neo-noir or whatever. Or sci-fi-horror for that matter. Or just noir, sci-fi or horror. That doesn't matter.

Monster was absolutely going to be my first answer for you, Bear, but Jig beat me to it XD.

I think Tokage's suggestion of Ergo Proxy might also be a good one for you, though not quite what you are asking for.

not sure if that's what you're looking for, but despite their obvious shonen-roots Deathnote and FMA:Brotherhood are pretty damn dark, i guess you know those already though :P

also i have to second Jigsaw with the "Monster" proposition. this is some of the finest horror-thriller-crime-mystery series that exist out there. it has a terribly long start, but trust me it's worth every single minute!

also some of the darkest stuff i've come across so far might be "Texnolyze".

i don't know much about it though, couldn't watch it, it was too confusing and random, might pick it up again in the near future. 

also "kurozuka" might be worth a second look. a tad more action-focused but still great psychological horror aswell

There's also Mnemosyne if you want some tech-noir, but I haven't watched it so I can't tell you whether it's worth the time (maybe someone else here can). I only know it as the anime for which Galneryus did OP and ED, lol.

Quite honestly this is a favorite of mine. combines mystery, horror, supernatural, and psychological themes together for one hell of a story. It's very trippy and very Gorey at times and overall has a has great story and plot. It can be hard to follow at times, but that's mostly because you haven't learned key plot points yet that explain why some things happened, to remedy that just keep watching. The more you watch the more it becomes clear that this is an excellent supernatural mystery show with a lot to offer along the lines of content. There are two main seasons; one that is 26 episodes and the second which is 24 episodes, then there are a few ova seasons with a handfull or so episodes a piece that continue the story after the events of the the two main seasons. Also it seems there's a few specials floating around as well that add more elements to the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiNUNC4ZYU

I believe this might be right up your alley. One thing I have to make clear that's pretty much necessary is if you start watching and finish the first season, you have to watch the second season! it's imperative that you watch both because otherwise you'll be lost. the second season explains everything that happens in the first. Without it, it would be like watching a movie halfway through and then stopping. I would also recommend watching the first OVA series Rei. since it is also relevant. the rest can be ignored unless you want to be complete.

There's one show that's an absolute must watch, that would be Gungrave. http://myanimelist.net/anime/267/Gungrave

9148l.jpg

This anime, my friends, is how to do an anime adaptation from a video game. I've only played bits and pieces of the original source but all I remember is how mediocre the game is. But in the anime, we're treated something even more than what the game has offered. The basic story layout is two best friends, Brandon and Harry, join the mafia syndicate Millennium after a certain tragic event. As time goes by, their reasons for staying in Millennium distance them apart which soon creates a major conflict. Even though it's been 10 years since the show's airing, it's worth not spoiling.

A little warning, the first episode can be a very hit or miss, so don't stop there. The way this series plays is they show the present time in the first ep, then in the 2nd ep and on is where they flashback the events leading up to the present. Gungrave is my all time favorite anime and the ending is a masterpiece. So if you're looking for an anti-moe show with a compelling story and characters, this is it. Get your tissue box ready because you will see the tears of time.

Funimation's youtube channel has the entire show uploaded both sub and dub. You have no excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWlThDl65HMH0

Yo gungrave is seriously a masterpiece, I couldn't agree more with your REC.

Actually when we finally get the streaming club rolling I'm gonna try to push this as one of the shows we should watch. It's been forever since I've seen it and it's worth the re-watch and it deserves the exposure :)