Original Saku

Anime/Manga Recommendation Topic

Yeah. Not "OMG SO FUCKING MUCH", but some. Fullmetal Alchemist, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Trigun Badlands, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne, Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, D. Gray-man, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Black Butler, Hero Tales, Chaos;Head and more. As I said, the anime selection is not all that, but they've got some. But they'll coem and go. Hopefully they'll add on to their anime film selection sooner or later. With some bigger titles, and hopefully older classics.

Gonna check out Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. Looks interesting. Tech-noir. Should be right up my alley.

I'd recommend FMA: brotherhood but that might just be my bias talking since I'm a die hard FMA fan XD

wait does netflix have subbed anime? because if not scratch that REC. The FMA dub is trash and i wouldn't recommend it to even my worst enemy >.<

I've seen both Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood already. Loved both.

Just checked FMA and you can choose between Japanese or English dub, and English or no subs. So at least that one's subbed.

Does anyone know any good police drama animes? Something along the lines of either Ghost in the Shell or Psycho-pass would do.

Also would you recommend Gurrenn Lagan (or whatever it's called) if I enjoy Kill la Kill?

Afaik US Netflix has a few animes, they have Attack on Titan subbed but with a few name changes, like Jean is John and Eren is Aaron or smth like that lol.

I change between several countries, it all depends on what I want to watch. I usually change between US (the most used one), Norway and UK. Sometimes Canada as well.

As for subs, I don't think they sub things themself,except for English language films. They just use whatever they get from the different companies. So when a film is cropped (right word?) the fuck up to 16:9 it's not Netflix' fault, but the production company's fault. And I am sure that's how it is with most subs for foreign films as well.

Edit: If you want t change you can use mediahint or Hola. Media hint gives you the choice between your own country and american, and Hola gives you the choice to change between any country in the world. Hola doesn't for when I ty to use it on US, though, but it works on everything else. Mediahint works really well and is what I use as I usually only change between US and Norwegian.

Also would you recommend Gurrenn Lagan (or whatever it's called) if I enjoy Kill la Kill?

YES. if you liked KLK then TTGL (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) is right up your alley. IMO it's in a lot of ways the better show out of the two which I know is a little preemptive since KLK still has two episodes left but overall so far if you compare the two TTGL is better and really no matter how great Kill la Kill's ending might be in the end I don't see it being better than TTGL's amazing ending.

so in short yes. watch it, love it, and then watch it again :)

On the 5th or 6th episode of Kill la Kill, whenever Tsumugu first appeared, I predicted that he was going to be related to Ryuko somehow (like her brother), because they both have black/red hair.....lmao BOY WAS I WRONG, haha.

I just finished watching the Knights of Sidonia anime series, and man, do I hate it when a series isn't "complete" but you'll have to wait for another season for the story to continue... So basically my question is, can anyone please recommend me good/extraordinary series from the past ~5 years that don't have a billion seasons (nor hundreds of episodes), but are nice and closed storylines? Preferably something serious in tone.

can anyone please recommend me good/extraordinary series from the past ~5 years that don't have a billion seasons (nor hundreds of episodes), but are nice and closed storylines? Preferably something serious in tone.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

Higashi no Eden (TV + 2 Movies)

Sakamichi no Apollon

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Usagi Drop

all i could remember. 

^ Thanks for the rec, this is more than enough! :D All of these look/sound good, so gonna check them out one by one. I already know & love Sakamichi no Apollon but the others are completely new to me.

I feel this is the most appropriate place to put this...
I think it was around the time of Kill la Kill and others, but I remember watching the first ep of this anime that I CAN'T REMEMBER FOR THE LIFE OF ME AND IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!

All I remember about it is that it was really fast paced and reminded me of FLCL a lot (also art wise methinks), lots of bright colours and I think it was mainly focused on one girl who lived in a city...
Lots of running round on roofs and suddenly it seems she's in a parallel dimension and there are about four people who want to talk to her in this bright and incomprehensible world and I think she starts attacking them??

Lol, I have no idea but I remember enjoying the first ep.... a lot of pretty generic stuff I feel but if anyone has anything to go on then that would help a lot *crawls back into hole of shame and embarrassment*

I feel this is the most appropriate place to put this...

I think it was around the time of Kill la Kill and others, but I remember watching the first ep of this anime that I CAN'T REMEMBER FOR THE LIFE OF ME AND IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!

All I remember about it is that it was really fast paced and reminded me of FLCL a lot (also art wise methinks), lots of bright colours and I think it was mainly focused on one girl who lived in a city...

Lots of running round on roofs and suddenly it seems she's in a parallel dimension and there are about four people who want to talk to her in this bright and incomprehensible world and I think she starts attacking them??

Lol, I have no idea but I remember enjoying the first ep.... a lot of pretty generic stuff I feel but if anyone has anything to go on then that would help a lot *crawls back into hole of shame and embarrassment*

That's most definitely Kyousou Giga; http://myanimelist.net/anime/19703/Kyousou_Giga_%28TV%29

One of my favorite shows from last year, definitely worth watching :)

Ahhh, it is!! Thanks saku :3

I think I accidently watched the ONA and that's the one I remember.... > <

yeah the ONA was the original experiment to see if it was going to be popular and then it was and people responded to it well so they made a tv series. Don;t worry about the ONA's though because I'm pretty sure they included everything that was in those in the tv series and in better quality.

So, I've finally been able to get my fiance to enjoy some anime.  Here are the one's she's liked so far.  Can anyone recommend more for me to show her?

Serial Experiment Lain
Anime Crossing movie

Old Sailor Moon

Yami Shibai

Jigoku Shoujo (though, she's still on the first season)

Samurai Champloo

Death Note

ok guys, any opinions on "Hamatora the Animation"?

I've just watched the first episode and am a bit torn, not sure if the story gets actually interesting at some point, and so far not really digging the characters that much, but i like the overall art-style of it.

but since i mostly watch anime because of the story, atmosphere and characters, is it worth going on with it or shall i ditch it?

it's hard to say... I find the show enjoyable at times and then other times i just can't stand it. I will say that for the most part I really like most of the characters, and the story isn't absolutely terrible but there are times in the plot where I'm just like "wut just happened?". I wouldn't say the show is great or anything but it's not trash or even mildly bad. I would just call it decent and a good distraction from boredom.

So if you need something to watch and you don't have any other better candidates out there then I say go for it because you could do a lot worst than Hamatora, that's for sure.

ok guys, any opinions on "Hamatora the Animation"?

I've just watched the first episode and am a bit torn, not sure if the story gets actually interesting at some point, and so far not really digging the characters that much, but i like the overall art-style of it.

but since i mostly watch anime because of the story, atmosphere and characters, is it worth going on with it or shall i ditch it?

it's hard to say... I find the show enjoyable at times and then other times i just can't stand it. I will say that for the most part I really like most of the characters, and the story isn't absolutely terrible but there are times in the plot where I'm just like "wut just happened?". I wouldn't say the show is great or anything but it's not trash or even mildly bad. I would just call it decent and a good distraction from boredom.

So if you need something to watch and you don't have any other better candidates out there then I say go for it because you could do a lot worst than Hamatora, that's for sure.

Same as Saku tbh. Loved a lot of the characters and the story itself isn't bad, but at times I really went "what?" at just about everything. I think the only reason it was fun to watch to the end was because I'd gotten slightly attached to Nice and Art? Second season is about the same. It's a fun watch but a mess at times. It's certainly not bad, but nothing outstanding either.