Guest Magatsu

Split forum into; more parts

Going back to the tagging system.

Is there a way to ban tags? Specifically the Visual Kei tag, I ain't anti VK but using it as a tag is not helpful since VK bands can sound drastically different from one another.

I think Kei tags like Nagoya or Kote are fine since it narrows down a more specific tag.

Thoughts? Should this be broken off into it's own discussion?

Thoughts? Should this be broken off into it's own discussion?

It probably should. But it would be an interesting discussion though. We outlawed a few tags from the beginning, like broad stuff like "jrock" (which doesn't stop people from using it anyway, because they don't read the rules, which is why I have to clean out "bad tags" every couple of weeks).

But we haven't really tweaked the rules since we added the tagging system, because we wanted to let the tag cloud grow first and see how people use it. But it has been around for a while now, so we can have another look at it.

I don't think we should ban the VK tag but maybe make it a requirement to not just use it alone since technically VK is not a genre it's a scene... I can see how it would be useful for people who just want to see VK related downloads though

Guest Magatsu

Alright Alright, then don't change anything. because still yet it's a barrier of "afraid" of change, because things will be the same as 2 years ago.

Dude, we are changing things, this is an ever evolving place. It's just we aren't changing anything on this issue...at least not yet, as we really don't have much reason to...and if there are good reasons, you certainly haven't given us any. If you want us to make subforms for the type of music that you are in to, give us a reason to. And I am not saying "oh, because if you do that people will talk about it." You want to to talk about Kpop, post about Kpop! Get a discussion going! Show us that people want to talk about it. 

And as far as you not liking the tagging system goes, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't a good system.

The thing is that we're not afraid of change. The thing is that we won't go around randomly adding sub-forums while we have no idea whether there is demand for it or not. If you want a K-pop section, sure, but we can't just randomly make sections because YOU want to have a section for K-pop. If we notice there is an actual demand on the forum for a K-pop section, we'll take this into consideration to see if we want to make separate groups for K-pop discussions or not.

And I agree with Ito: don't just complain about the fact that there is no K-pop section. If you want a K-pop section, show us that there is demand for it! Start threads about K-Pop, talk about it with others! If we see that this actually is becoming bigger, we can do something about it! Participate in discussions. We deleted a lot of sub-forums in the past because it was just too messy and it took too much time cleaning them all up. We've been fine without them. Also, the tagging system works fine. As far as I know, you're currently the only one who is unhappy with it. If this were more people, you would probably have a point, but since there isn't (or at least people are not vocal about it), there are no plans in changing it.

Since the tagging system was brought up a few times in this thread, I am going to make a seperate topic for it in the next day or two (it's really a seperate issue anyway). The tagging system is a bit of a pet project for me and now that we had it for a few months I would like to get some feedback on it. I'll just have to think through some of my own thoughts on it, then I will post a thread in the Suggestions forum. :)

Basically I just want to say I agree with everyone that has said this is a JAPANESE music forum.

And, like Ito said, there are places within this forum already that you can discuss kpop if you want, nothing is stopping you. 

Personally, I think that if you want to discuss anything the best option is just to start a thread about it, you dont necessarily need an entire subforum to do so.

I like the fact that there is a mix of everything here so I dont feel like I have to just stick to one thing. The fact that there is a general entertainment, discussion, music etc category makes it easier to open up the topics to many more things. and like champ said, making those into separate subforums is just a lot of unnecessary work when it's already there.

I think the only reason a subforum should be implemented is just for the sake of organization but, lets be real here, aint nobody got time for that.

MH is a nice community where the members can discuss many things and is not only limited to japanese rock/vkei, but at the core, it IS a japanese music forum.

So that's what I have to say about that.