Sign in to follow this  
DogManX

ナイトメア (Nightmare) - Dizzy

Ok, so here's the thread for the full single review. I'm excited about your opinions (if you got any).

For me, the single is.. completely useless in many different ways. I can't really say that I'm disappointed in a certain way, because I don't really expect something groundbreaking from them any more. But anyway.

The main problem about the whole product is that the sound is going nowhere. Predictable hooks, solos, this goes especially for the title track, which can't be a more generous Nightmare track. It's not as bad as ASSaulter, but it remains a boring-as-hell song which you can imagine as some sort of shuffle from various post-MP-tracks.

The other two tracks don't make it any better for me. I wouldn't say I expected that super-poppy rock sound in this particular way (it certainly doesn't sound like regular Nightmare, i have at least give that to them), but they stay useless nontheless. Apart from the fact that these songs imho have the stupidest Nightmare titles of all time, it feels more and more ensuring that Nightmare feel comfortable doing music for the very younger folks, as they one stated in an interview. Because that's what "i'm High Roller" and "Killed in summer" sound like. I can well imagine these melodies in some disney musical, rather than in a Nightmare concert hall.

For fans of fancy radio-poprock it may just be the right music, but for me as a more and more depressed Nightmare-veteran.. it's enough. Nightmare have chosen a path on which i can't follow them anymore, and this single was kind of the revelation I needed to finally drop my hopes.

Dizzy - 0/10

I'm High Roller - 1/10

Killed in Summer - 1/10

I lost a huge amount of my faith in this band with SCUMS, had hopes as i listened to the first 20 seconds of dizzy but got my "dumbass we fooled you" ticket right away with one of the most uninspiring generic nightmare choruses EVER MADE!

i am repeating myself with every nightmare review i write, but can somebody please tell me what happend from libido to anima (co writers? Bad ass recording studio?) and from anima to all the rest (the world ruler still being okay.)

How can a band step up in so many ways to almost perfection with just one album (anima) and drop that all step by step with every release?

Really, it's so sad. They were so damn good and musically so advanced and sophisticated on anima.

Instead they turned to chubby bland kindergarden rock. I mean these guys get older too, arent they interested in getting a more serious LUNA SEA like image again?

1/10.

The single itself was all over the place. 

Although I agree with the first 2 tracks, I thought "killed in summer" wasn't too bad.

Dizzy - 3/10  The track was all over the place. Didn't feel it, as I had to actually listen to it with concentration.

I'm High Roller - 2/10  Seemed like a waste of a track. Kinda like a "just fuck it we"ll use it" track.

Killed in Summer - 7/10  It has a nice pace in beat. Could actually listen to the entire thing and not skip it entirely.

^^^^^                                        

Did anyone else hear that shitty fadeout on this track??

Another disastrous release by this band. But there are no worries, they will disband soon because this single did not even reach top 10 on their first week therefore is a failture that will put the band in debt and make them disband and probably homeless for the rest of their lifes. It's so bad.

Dizzy is just a rehash of something they surely did before but I skipped it because it was bad as anything they did after anima. The song is messy I could really not know what was going on. It lacks any structure! Also it uses the same formula that all the bad Nightmare songs wich is intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-breakdown-chorus-chorus-end and I got tired of it after the first chorus so I skipped it. 0/10

I'm High roller ha! more like I'm High When I write music!! hahaha who wrote this, a stoned monkey on a stalling helicopter? everything sounds the same and the riff is the same all the time and everything is messy and over the place. -2/10

Killed in Summer  terrible, I only hear drums and more drums and bad vocals skipped it half minute in. -7/50

So this music is clearly for weaboos with asperger syndrome that don't know real music. Really bad! This band would be dead if they didn't do anything for anime, their bad songs ony became popular because death note, but without anime they are just unbeareable. 

Overall I give it half dead crocoach/10

I have no idea idea how come this single have been greenlighted by their management (parts of killed in summer are okay, but overall it's embarassing and painful to listen to)

scums has been pretty bad and unnecessary overall, but this single is a stadium of seats nightmare really should have right now.

I'm kind of glad they're doing side projects atm, but this probably is the most disastrous example of creative stagnation that VK has been cursed with for almost six or seven years now.

@nekkichi Well as you can see on the single versions the management actually did some sort of ensurance policy.. they put PV making ofs on it this time along with the obligatory PVs! So relatively more distraction from the horrid music for the pubescing fangirls.

I was disappointed with SCUMS, and the issues I had with that release are very much present in DIZZY. Take the title track, the intro is very rockish and nighmarish as are the verses. The guitars are great and there’s enough variety and ear candy to engage in and enjoy. Then the chorus hits. This is where things went downhill for me.

It’s like a complete 360 from the mood of the song. It turns very upbeat and sickingly happy complete with synth work and it just doesn’t work with the rest of the track. I wish the chorus had continued in line with the mood the rest of the track had already set up, or they could have just taken the chorus and made a different song with that it that fit it’s upbeat and happy nature.

I’m high roller, I enjoyed a bit more because it was more cohesive and there were some cool drumming and guitar grooving going on in some parts, but I still feel this could have been better. Killed In Summer is probably the track I enjoyed the most. I feel like this is the only track were all the components of the songs worked well together. Great guitars, bass, vocal melodies, and synths. Everything leads naturally into each other and doesn’t feel like it was simply tacked on. Which is the major problem I had with this release and SCUMS.

Killer In Summer is the only track I'm keeping. This was yet another disappointing release by the band.

*dramatic sigh*

Well, this single was pretty much what I expected it to be. Sadly my expectations weren't very good to begin with. I call myself a Nightmare fan but I have to admit, their recent releases are just boring and predictable and I feel like there's no way to go back to how they used to be.

Dizzy: The intro actually sounds somewhat cool, but then the typical boring Nightmare-chorus hits and as soon as the song ends I can't remember what it sounded like.
I'm a High Roller: The guitar, drums and some parts of the verses sound pretty cool, but again the chorus disappoints. It's better than Dizzy though, but that doesn't mean much.
Killed in Summer: Honestly this is not an impressive song, but it does flow better than the other songs.

The main problem I have with these songs, and most of Nightmare's recent songs actually, is that after listening to them I have no desire to ever listen to them again. They don't actually sound bad technically, I can't say Yomi is a bad singer or the other members can't play their instruments, but there's just... no feeling? I don't know it's just me, or maybe all their fans just keep listening to them out of loyalty?

Nightmare has been my favorite band for a loooong time. SCUMS had a few decent songs on it, but I don't find myself going back and listening to it often. 

I'm really disappointed with this release, but it wasn't just this release, it was a few before that. 
I mean I pre-ordered scums, and deus ex machina, praying it'll sound decent... nope. They used to be such a strong band and I feel like they're pretty much giving in to the recent trends.

Dizzy is nothing special, I listened to it once or twice. So while the die-hard fans sit and tell themselves it's an amazing release, I'm just going to walk backwards slowly away from that whole situation.

They lost me with this release.

Also wow their videos lately. LOL.

4/10

Nightmare has been my favorite band for a loooong time. SCUMS had a few decent songs on it, but I don't find myself going back and listening to it often. 

I'm really disappointed with this release, but it wasn't just this release, it was a few before that. 

I mean I pre-ordered scums, and deus ex machina, praying it'll sound decent... nope. They used to be such a strong band and I feel like they're pretty much giving in to the recent trends.

Dizzy is nothing special, I listened to it once or twice. So while the die-hard fans sit and tell themselves it's an amazing release, I'm just going to walk backwards slowly away from that whole situation.

They lost me with this release.

Also wow their videos lately. LOL.

4/10

this.

For the first time Nightmare disappointed me. A lot. This release in my opinion wasn't necessary or anyway it should have been better.

But anyway I like Dizzy a lot (I've been replaying it over and over in the last few days xD): I like the intro and also the chorus even if, like some others here said, is thrown in at random and it doesn't flow really well with the rest of the song. So it would be 7/10.

About I'm High Roller...I have nothing to say...I don't like it and I don't think it will ever grow on me. I like the lyrics though, so maybe I can give it a 3/10 just for the lyrics.

Finally, Killed in summer is a good song, but nothing very memorable in my opinion. 4/10

All in all, I would give this single a 4.5-5/10 and I'm hoping that their next release will be better than this and their last album.

Yeah I'm hoping this is just a hiccup. Every band has to hit that point eventually. Maybe with ruka and hitsugi doing solo projects or something they'll come back together with fresh ideas. This single almost felt thrown together. iunno.

I didn't think this was that bad. They've done much better songs, but these 3 are better than most on SCUMS, at least, save for Deus Ex Machina. The fadeout on Killed in Summer is unnacetable, though, it almost ruins the entire song.

I really enjoy the songs from Dizzy single, the PVs are good, "I'm High Roller" kind remember me "the World" because of the taro cards, I just think they are getting very psycodelic.

Dizzy: I like very much the guitar riffs and everything about what Saki-san make with his guitar in this track. (8.5/10) - PV (7/10)

I'm High Roller: I love it! the song, the pv, the taro cards, less Yomi killing everybody xD... he killed RUKA and Saki-san :( (10/10) - PV (9/10)

Killed in the summer: the worst in the single, but still a regular song, better than the others 3rd songs from Sleeper and Mimic (4/10)

Sign in to follow this