that attracts me not the complexity which instrumentally there really
isn't non except for the solo. I don't believe a song needs to be overly
complicated to be good. After all, a lot of popular American songs are
like the same 3 chords played in a different order.I think this hits the
nail on the head with what Ruki said I believe about it sounding like a
NIL and Stacked Rubbish combo. They took the female vocals that I loved
from Stacked Rubbish and put it into this song...I think it works
except for the chorus. Though not my favorite, still decent. 3/5

Quiet: Lame title...and quite boring....this is NOT what I expected out of the preview. It's just....boring.

....QUIET... PLEDGE without the interesting bits? Far too long? For a ballad, I think that's the perfect length. The intro wasn't as spectacular as any of the ballads they have put out recently like VOICELESS FEAR, Kago no Sanagi, or Kagefumi, but this song was a lot better than 2/3 of those. I judged this song based on the title mostly because the last time Ruki had vocal problems, VOICELESS FEAR was born. Now we have QUIET. The lyrics paint a story of what seems like someone going through a death, a loss, but I feel like behind it is the root of the problems he had early this year. The guitar solo is very early as compared to other songs and maybe the tempo isn't as fast which makes it "boring" but, honestly, it's a ballad, what'd you expect? Tempo of 140bpm, sprinting guitars?

It's not that to me. It just seems so lifeless. Something about the melody. I mean think about Deluhi ballads "Ivory and Irony" "Remember Rain" "The Farthest"....some of them worked (Ivory and Irony, Remember Rain) and some of them didn't (The Farthest, Hoshi something something...can't rmember off the top of my head), but I can't say I was bored with them because the melodies in the songs were really done well (mostly because Leda is a song construction genius). I think they should have just put a little more work into the melody that's all. Ruki's singing doesn't bother me though...2/5

FORBIDDEN BEAVER - if we're going with animal titles, I prefer "Clever Monkey" over "Forbidden Beaver". I would say it is like...a mix of "Hedoro" and "Swallowtail on the Death Valley" with no female vocals and "Love Addict" by VAMP. I honestly had to listen to this song 10X in a row beofre I could even remember anything interesting about it AND i still can't rmemeber anything interesting about it....very disappointing...I wouldn't even be happy hearing this in a live...this is another one of the raw "fuck it, we'll just throw a song together"....ONLY this time....unlike Fadeless, it works against them. It's not boring...it's just not all that great, but hey! at least it's not "Break Me"....::::shudders:::: 0.5/5 just for being a Gazette song....

Overall: 2/5 - Disappointing Gazette...I mean granted I'm still a huge fan and I will follow you to the end of time...it's sad that I actually see your end coming really soon....:( It just feels like they have no more in them that they can bring to the table. Sadly, I'd rather them disband then to put out anymore music like this...their lead singles are just "ok" as of late and the B sides are..."ok"....nothing awesome is coming from them anymore, it's all just one massive "meh" fest...I'd rather them not taint their discography anymore. You've made your staple in the VK game, time to move to bigger and better things. I would be interested to see the members join new bands....after all I don't want them to leave the music scene...just want to see the members go and find their creative roots again with other people....take a Gazette hiatus....come back in like 2-3 years and let your creative battery go again. HELL! bands do it all the time (fuckin' L' arc en Ciel does it like every 2 years...release shit and then go on an hiatus lol)  Hopefully, this is promoted just like Remember the Urge and this won't be on the album. I loved NIL and Stacked Rubbish so if they continue to tighten their hybrids of the albums, I sure Beautiful Deformity won't be bad...

The riffs are very nice, although I feel they need to start tuning up (They made QUIET on drop B guitar tuning? seriously, on a ballad?).

I hope you didn't forget that both Chizuru and Dim Scene were made in drop B and are basically BALLADS as well (no matter what kind of riffage is used)

Either way, the whole single was in fact bland - and at the same time, totally expectation-killing experience. Fadeless and Quiet have that zzzzzz-ing aura in the background while FORBIDDEN BEAVER makes me want to forget their stupidest attempt at being VAMPS-like with cheesy hard rock structures and SEX ADDICTION PUSSY-vox.

4/10, never again.

ps. Just because you know how to make riffs out of Hetfield's Load/Reload-book (the riff in fact sounds like Metallica's Fuel, too. WTF), doesn't mean you have achieved the level of "divine" riff-making. And let's get it straight - I haven't even heard any riffs worth mesmerizing in Gazette's post-Tokyo Dome repertoire. It's a good BGM and good "boredom jam" for me but don't you hate it too whenever you listen to anything TOXIC/DIVISION-related, you start to hum along Division/NIL songs instead? I want something groundbreaking, which isn't really a feat to be expected from this band "anymore", I suppose.

pss. I want something non-Luna Sea-ish this time - yes Ruki, I know, YOU WORSHIP LUNA SEA'S WRITING AND EVERYTHING but let yourself delve into the art of being "original", thank you.

rare behind the scenes of the recording/writing-process! raw creative talent

------------

Aoi: ok so thats verse done, now for bridge, how about 5th and 7th fret?

Uruha: already used 5th and 7th on 12 other songs, how about the other way round, 7th and 5th this time?

Aoi: 7th and 5th it is.

Uruha: what about the rhythm?

Aoi: don't know, could you hand me that guitar there please?...

Uruha: 1-2-3-4 recording...

Aoi *random strumming*

Aoi: hmmn, i guess that'll have to do

Uruha: fine by me. now for the chorus...

---------------

Bonus Round: Conception

Gaze-Headquarters *phone rings*

Sony: hello this is sony, how about a new single?

Gazelock: ok, how much should it be?

Sony: about 13minutes of "Song" would be cool

Gazelock: 13mins of "Song", gotcha. call again by tomorrow same time...

---------------

well, sheesh, i guess i even preferred the gazestep over this trainwreck of mediocrity, that was at least trying something (failing, but still...)

i wouldn't say they were always this boring, but suddenly after DIM they must've thought they'll just stick to that concept and not caring anymore.

ever since they made sort of the same three songs over and over again. Everybody loved headacheman on DIM (and rightfully so) but every following release was plastered with headachemans (Vortex, BeforeDecay and tons more where i've forgotten the name) everywhere. those weren't necessarily worse songs, but we already have that, no need for another.

then there's the "upbeat heavy fun" song (vermin, hyena, clever monkey, beaver...) and the unavoidably ballad and that's it.

actually that wouldn't even be that bad if they at least formed those kind of standard songs around some interesting sounds and ideas, but as already pointed out by others they seem to just make them out of whatever. the riffs and harmonies in Fadeless have written "look mommy! my first guitarriff!" all over their face.

(the last little glimpse of something remotely interesting with a bit of effort i noticed by them was probably "ruthless deed" iirc..)

people are already annoyed that everybody has nothing better to do than calling the gazette generic/mediocre/boring, but hell that's just what they've become.

question only is why do we care so much, haven't they proven enough that there's no hope?

when Toxic/Division might've gotten 2-3 Pity-Points for trying this one gets 0/whatever for fuck you that's why

haha nailed it.

^ Pretty much

People make that paint by the numbers composing process joke a lot, but here I feel it's especially fitting. Even as good ol' gazerawk I don't feel Fadeless is on par with Shiver, Ibitsu, Derangement, Pledge etc. etc. The wubs were good for them. At least it was that something extra that was gravely needed ever since their songs became more formulaic after DIM.

And I still find those SONY conspiracy theories funny/bs considering their sales went to hell after DIM, which is when they went to SONY. If they are innit for the moneez shouldn't they force poor Ruki&cru to make more DIM's instead of these poorly selling bleepetybloops? If I recall correctly DIM opened with nearly twice the sales of DIVISION. They aren't idiots. Unless what people are implying is that the reptilian  zionists of hollywood are behind this somehow...

Spoiler: The reason they suck now is the shit taste of the band itself. 

Probably, "we're with SONY now. we're famous. we'll get enough money without trying that hard. simples"

Probably, "we're with SONY now. we're famous. we'll get enough money without trying that hard. simples"

I refuse to believe this is the case anymore. Labels do give themselves the rights to drop bands if they aren't making enough money. TOXIC and DIVISION are two of their worst selling albums. This whole "back to SR/NIL" theme screams desperation on their part to stick with the label and reap the benefits. If BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY doesn't sell well, I wouldn't be surprised if VVV "transfers" them back to the label they came from.

I refuse to believe this is the case anymore. Labels do give themselves the rights to drop bands if they aren't making enough money. TOXIC and DIVISION are two of their worst selling albums. This whole "back to SR/NIL" theme screams desperation on their part to stick with the label and reap the benefits.

Agreed. Big band contracts usually come with an agreement that they release a certain amount of albums before the contract is up (3 is the magic number), and if Beautiful Deformity does reportedly as bad as Toxic and Divsion (though I haven't seen OVERALL sales figures, only initial sales which say absolutely nothing), the GazettE could very well be dropped, or work a deal to do a last album with a set of greatest hits comps. It's sad to say; but I can see that happening in the near future.

I refuse to believe this is the case anymore. Labels do give themselves the rights to drop bands if they aren't making enough money. TOXIC and DIVISION are two of their worst selling albums. This whole "back to SR/NIL" theme screams desperation on their part to stick with the label and reap the benefits. If BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY doesn't sell well, I wouldn't be surprised if VVV "transfers" them back to the label they came from.

That's pretty douchebag-ish don't chu think? It pretty much means all that hard work they've done up to DIM was just so they'd get picked up by SONY or whoever and just drop trying hard on their releases anymore. Hold up, if I'm not mistaken...isn't KING records (the same Label that just recently picked up LYNCH), a major label as well? Yes SONY is more bigger but It seems to me that their creative spark was at an all time with them. Honestly all of the bands recent moves...seem dictated by Ruki. Isn't Kai supposedly the leader? Homeboy needs to get up off his ass and do something...like damn dude AT LEAST give more creative control to Aoi or Uruha because their stand alone songs on the albums surpass pretty much most of what Ruki has the band writing nowdays. 

I hope you didn't forget that both Chizuru and Dim Scene were made in drop B and are basically BALLADS as well (no matter what kind of riffage is used)

Indeed they were, but that's also because the atmosphere and emotions of the song that were being portrayed were dark, it's the same as with Nakigahara. So a lower tuning fit better than the half-step down tuning for WITHOUT A TRACE and the Drop C for Chizuru and Guren. However, QUIET is not a dark song, nor is it heavy with the lyrics or anything like that, there's really no need for the Drop B tuning with QUIET.

That's pretty douchebag-ish don't chu think? It pretty much means all that hard work they've done up to DIM was just so they'd get picked up by SONY or whoever and just drop trying hard on their releases anymore. Hold up, if I'm not mistaken...isn't KING records (the same Label that just recently picked up LYNCH), a major label as well? Yes SONY is more bigger but It seems to me that their creative spark was at an all time with them. Honestly all of the bands recent moves...seem dictated by Ruki. Isn't Kai supposedly the leader? Homeboy needs to get up off his ass and do something...like damn dude AT LEAST give more creative control to Aoi or Uruha because their stand alone songs on the albums surpass pretty much most of what Ruki has the band writing nowdays. 

I don't know what makes you think that Ruki is making all the moves for the band. Yes, he composes most of the songs but that's the same reason that Saga composes most of Alice Nine songs and Leda composes most of DELUHI, but yeah, I do think that Ruki needs to relinquish some control to Aoi and Uruha. Aoi composed Yoin and bathroom I believe and those songs just never stray from being good

Ruki:How was FADELESS this time?
Were those of you who like heavy songs unsatisfied? And for those of you who like melodious songs, was the melodiousness too weak? We made it just along that fine line. It has a feeling of excitement that doesn’t quite hit the peak. To achieve that we carefully cooked it over a period of who knows how many months.

Ruki: Our NEW ALBUM “BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY” will be released in October. Our Single this time is a so-called preceding Single. For it’s image, the album is like the elements of the 5 of us are spread all over. Before we play a song, we do a one song jam session. It’s like it lets us synchronize our minds.

Ruki: I think we’re certainly becoming like a “band”. And our next album, which all of you who listened to FADELESS are imagining, will probably betray your expectations. When you listen to FADELESS at that time, I think you’ll synchronize to the image that I have now.
Furthermore, its radiance should increase.
It will certainly be delicious once more.

That looks quite promising!! Hopefully we want be dissappointed!

Ruki:How was FADELESS this time?

Were those of you who like heavy songs unsatisfied? And for those of you who like melodious songs, was the melodiousness too weak? We made it just along that fine line. It has a feeling of excitement that doesn’t quite hit the peak. To achieve that we carefully cooked it over a period of who knows how many months.

Ruki: Our NEW ALBUM “BEAUTIFUL DEFORMITY” will be released in October. Our Single this time is a so-called preceding Single. For it’s image, the album is like the elements of the 5 of us are spread all over. Before we play a song, we do a one song jam session. It’s like it lets us synchronize our minds.

Ruki: I think we’re certainly becoming like a “band”. And our next album, which all of you who listened to FADELESS are imagining, will probably betray your expectations. When you listen to FADELESS at that time, I think you’ll synchronize to the image that I have now.

Furthermore, its radiance should increase.

It will certainly be delicious once more.

That looks quite promising!! Hopefully we want be dissappointed!

Omg are The Gazette trolling us??

Oh, it is said that Ruki composed Fadeless, Uruha composed Quiet and Aoi composed Forbidden Beaver. [x]

I find Aoi composing Forbidden Beaver to be very strange since, I mean, he's the one who supposedly composed Shiroki Yuutsu, D.L.N & Bathroom and for him to compose such a disjointed song like Forbidden Beaver...e_e

It's so weird....

I've been a casual fan of the GazettE since around 2005/2006, and while DIM exceeded my expectations for Ruki and the gang, I've always considered these guys a "middle-of-the-road" kind of band - not bad, but not particularly special. Admittedly, I was on a "DIM high" for a while and shunned nearly every subsequent release that didn't measure up to that album's caliber. With the quality of the band's material on a steep decline, it was safe to say that my hopes for them ever producing anything remotely DIM-like were shattered and then swept into a grave - never to be seen again.

While FADELESS is in no way a return to DIM's stature, I do feel like the band has managed to climb back from six feet under and at least plant their feet on solid ground again. The electro-infused "blah-core"  that plagued their 2 previous releases has been replaced with more thoughtful songwriting and more attention to detail. Both Aoi and Uruha are actually playing separate guitar lines more often and mirroring each other less often. Guitar solos have returned - all of which work wonderfully with the pop/modern music song structure that the GazettE has been employing since ever. These songs are also much less reliant on digital wizardry and electronics, as the band's instrumentation is forced to take center stage. Ruki's vocal performance is free of any cringe-worthy moments - which I find to be a rare occurrence in VK.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with FADELESS! It neither treads any new ground for the GazettE nor the world of music in general, but it doesn't have to. The GazettE has returned to that "middle-of-the-road" band that I enjoyed hearing pop up on my playlist every now and then. For me, that's more than enough. There's a plethora of music being released in Japan alone - so I'm glad that the Gazette can once again safely fit back into my own little musical equilibrium - even if they're nowhere near the top of the musical food chain. ;3

It would seem that my opinion on this single falls somewhere within the minority, haha :')

That's pretty douchebag-ish don't chu think? It pretty much means all that hard work they've done up to DIM was just so they'd get picked up by SONY or whoever and just drop trying hard on their releases anymore.

Remember too that from our standpoint the GazettE is relatively tame. To people unfamiliar with visual kei (read: a lot of people), the aesthetics of the band may still be too extreme. The label took a risk on the GazettE and it appears the risk isn't panning out, as evidenced by dropping sales. Is it a dick move to drop a band because they're not doing well financially? Hell fucking yes. But music is business to some people and money talks.

Remember too that from our standpoint the GazettE is relatively tame. To people unfamiliar with visual kei (read: a lot of people), the aesthetics of the band may still be too extreme. The label took a risk on the GazettE and it appears the risk isn't panning out, as evidenced by dropping sales. Is it a dick move to drop a band because they're not doing well financially? Hell fucking yes. But music is business to some people and money talks.

Exactly my thoughts. To a band, it's about making the music that their fans will love. To a label company, it's about keeping the bands that earn the high sales records and can continue with a stable amount of sales, herding out the ones that don't

sony have signed (and keep milking) mucc who are as relevant as tatsuro's mom though, I don't see them dropping gazette who still are selling strong for a heavier poprock VK

pretty sure they're performing on par with alice 9 and dir en grey as of now, and way better than most of major vk acts, excluding nightmare and sid maybe.

And our next album, which all of you who listened to FADELESS are imagining, will probably betray your expectations. When you listen to FADELESS at that time, I think you’ll synchronize to the image that I have now.

I faintly hope this means an incoming female devoid fadeless arrangement for the album, but "expectations"? Ruki dear u r delusional & it will get ur band killed

I'm going to be in the minority here but I thought Quiet was the best track on here! Heck, even Forbidden Beaver wasn't bad! Although it starts off as a shameless Love Addict rip off, the guitar work is nice. The solo is far superior to the one in the title track.

Fadeless is far too generic; although it's tighter than Forbidden Beaver, it's lacks any kind of wow factor that's usually associated with A-Sides.

Oh, it is said that Ruki composed Fadeless, Uruha composed Quiet and Aoi composed Forbidden Beaver. [x]

I find Aoi composing Forbidden Beaver to be very strange since, I mean, he's the one who supposedly composed Shiroki Yuutsu, D.L.N & Bathroom and for him to compose such a disjointed song like Forbidden Beaver...e_e

It's so weird....

Yo....thats VERY worry some. And I'm not even exaggerating things by saying that. Also Ruki's statement as well as the amount of time its taken to flush these recent releases out. Stacked Rubbish was another GazettE release that I believe was wasn't received to highly but even then you can tell they took their time because Imo there's a lot of bangers on that record! No matter how hard anyone tries to justify the recent releases, one year is NOT enough time at all to drop an album. Its evident with TOXIC and DIVISION that what you not only get is recycled GazettE formula but pretty much the same song patterns and chord progressions, just in a different key (man they need to change their Guitar tunings soon because they've done all they can in drop B). If my suspicions are correct, based on Quiet and Forbidden Beaver, the two main song writers are getting lazy and this is not a great sign for the band as well as the new album.

Took me a while to post a review for this since I took most of your reviews in consideration. I had to get a feel for the music and listen to the lyrics before I could judge too.

Fadeless - 8/10 It was odd enough the song felt almost nothing at all like being "trapped in my nature/desire for empty pleasure" (what I could translate anyway), but yeah the female vocalists were bad. Ruki's voice impresses yet again. I am so glad they got rid of the Autotune crap.

Quiet - 9/10 Listening to this track reminded me of "Voiceless Fear" since the feel I got from this was similar. The Lyrics to this song are sung so well alongside Ruki's vocals it's impressive. You literally FEEL the music. Yet it sounds too close to Kago No Sanagi.

Forbidden Beaver - 6/10 It does sound exactly like VAMPS - Love Addict, yet the GazettE seem more extreme with their Lyrics. Ruki sounds like Byou from SCREW in certain parts. 

I think a lot of people in this thread judged the single for what it initially sounded like without as much as "feeling" ruki's emotion brought fourth in the lyrics.

I feel like every time I read a recent Gazette review on here, I always come across the word generic. In fact, not only do I think that the word was used wrongly to describe the Gazette’s music, because no matter how disappointing their recent releases may have been I don’t feel they were generic, but that the majority of reviews on MH for any gazette release had actually become generic. 

And so I come here again, and find that word being used to describe fadeless, but for the first time I feel it actually applies.

Fadeless is no way anything unique or original. Not even by gazette standards. Everything is way to simplistic and stripped down, from the guitar riffs to the drums. There might be a few interesting moments here and there and in the other songs, but they don’t do much and aren’t enough to save the songs. I don’t know what chord progression they used for quiet, because it really lacks progression, especially in the verses, and that’s why it seems to go nowhere. Forbidden Beaver feels like a filler track. It’s just meh. I like the title of the track and it is probably something only a band like the Gazette could pull off, but they failed to accomplish anything musically pleasing.

I wouldn’t call this release bad, but it lacks any interest and creativity so it’s very stale. No one likes to listen to bad music, but nobody enjoys mediocrity either, which is what this release is. What makes this more disappointing is the fact we’re all aware the Gazette can deliver good songs when they want to.

I’m at least glad they dropped the electronic rock bit. They really did not know how to do that at all. In regards to that issue, I feel like this is a step in the right direction. Now the band just needs take a dozen or few steps forward and put out something good.

Fadeless is just okay. 

5/10

Wow I'm actually pretty shocked about all of your reviews. Maybe because everywhere I go on the internet people just love the GazettE and everything that they do. So it's a shock for me to see people putting the GazettE on life support. I'm also shocked that so many people thought Toxic was awful! Really? I thought it was a decent album but Division?? Now that to me was a shitty album.

Now on to Fadeless...personally I like the song. It's not the greatest thing they've put out but it's decent. Now granted I've only been a fan for about 2 years but I do listen to older songs and they were great. Now the PV for Fadeless was a huge disappointment, plus me being a Kai fan I hated that he barely got any screen time or he was hidden either by darkness or the other members. Too much Ruki, Uruha and Aoi for me. If I had to rate I'd give it a 6/10

For there sake I hope Beautiful Deformity has some kick ass songs on it.