Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

Should we limit this to vk-related acts only or is it possible to 'modify' the thread title as something in the vein of "where does J-music (as in vk/non-vk in general) find it")? Running through vk bands and their "originality" is getting a bit boring so it'd be refreshing to list those with no relation to vk as well...:)

Either way, I think Plastic Tree (despite their genreistic "intrigue" in the midst of their standard "vk" colleagues) should have a dedicated thread on their "inspirations" (just lump any ripoff or homage into this one):

Known ones:

Fujunbutsu (2007?) -> Nirvana's most popular song that doesn't need to be mentioned...

Andro Metamorphose (2007) + Makka no Ito (2007?) -> Mew - Comforting Sounds (the song - formerly mentioned, the MV concept - latter)

Rira no Ki (1996?) -> Radiohead - My Iron Lung

Slide (2000) -> Nirvana - Breed (main riff)

Platform (2002) -> Coaltar of the Deepers - C/O/T/D

Ruisen Kairo (2007) -> Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Blue Train

...speaking of which, some jrocknyc user (Ezra might be aware of this) made a small-ish compilation on various Pura albums with various "inspired" pieces...all I can say is that it is quite safe to lump Smiths, Cure or even Television into their plethora of "cheat sheets".

(p.s. doesn't change my thoughts on the band btw, just thought this kind of inspection would be neat to bring up)

Not VK, but:

SuiseiNoboAz / T.D.B.B.PIRATES LANGUAGE (2013)

(listen to the part from 2:18 - 2:41)

YES - Heart of the Sunrise (1971)

(listen to the intro)

Bet y'all ain't know about this one LMAO

MiA composed both of those songs, though.

Anemone was also originally a VanessA song that they made into a Mejibray song so it's not like they haven't done that before.

If you wrote the song for a previous band then that's fair game since it's your song but that doesn't mean that it's not lazy.

Though I personally have no complaints if it's done well.

MiA composed both of those songs, though.

Anemone was also originally a VanessA song that they made into a Mejibray song so it's not like they haven't done that before.

If you wrote the song for a previous band then that's fair game since it's your song but that doesn't mean that it's not lazy.

Though I personally have no complaints if it's done well.

It still counts. Examples like that are perfect for this topic, especially if you can explain why.

I can't think of many examples, but since the para:noir days, I thought Akane or one his band mates were into In Flames, Fear Factory and or Cynic.

THE NATURAL BORN SINNER

This one might be a coincidence, but I think it's worth mentioning simply because Cynic  is one the first band to ever mix growls and "robot vocals" in almost the same way Akane does(and they received quite a bit of flak for it, back in the 90's).

Listen to the part from 1:48 to 2:16

Starts at 1:00

Shingan, Soushite Sougan

Listen to the opening riffs

nihilism.

Once again, opening riffs

atheism

right after the mellow intro

Bonus round - Mejibray

It seems that in their "small fish" days(up until Emotional Karma), Mejibray really looked up to some of their peers:

Crazed Brain uses the same main riff as Deathgaze's  "Gethsemane", slightly sped up;

Itsuwari no Kamen uses the same main riff as as the EP version of para:noir's "Prominence Inc.", but slowed down.

I guess there is no need to add some of their nods to Gazette, as those are more well-known...

the in flames one is spot on LOL interesting

the cynic one is also really interesting, but i dont think a vk band would listen to cynic

the in flames one is spot on LOL interesting

the cynic one is also really interesting, but i dont think a vk band would listen to cynic

Yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine those guys listening to a band like Cynic and thinking, "This. This is interesting!", but this kind of acoustic trippyness is really unique to them, and D.I.D./para:noir make use of them somewhat frequently, in songs like Amaoto, the Libra, W.O.D. II, if you wanna die...

Most likely a coincidence, but nonetheless still interesting :o

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/vinidamazio/suspicious__inspiration_and_plagiarism_in_visual_kei/yo who's responsible for this awesome page

some of these are reaches, chorus chords can overlap without having to yell plagarism but some others are identical and hilarious LOL

my favourite is old mejibray copying royz....what kind of mess.

Ok.

So my brother and I were browsing some Visual kei PV's and stumbled across a PV from Daisystripper called "Uso to Kagero"

Now I KNOW the background music in the chorus is from another song, but for fucks sake we can't remember the damn song!

Calling all VK OG's! Help us find the damn song they took that music from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp9xx8PALuU

'

The whole song sounds very similar to Koi no Bakansu, which is an ooooold song that has been covered many times. For the sake of vk, I'll link do D=OUT's cover of it for comparison. 

As for others (that I don't think have been mentioned yet) oh booooy:

Shelly Trip Realize - Haru No Uta is a weird mix of  Keyboard Cat  and Poison - Talk Dirty To Me

Kaya - Epicurean vs Mortal Kombat

Sadie - Virtual Fakeman (verse) vs Spider-Man Theme

Panic Channel - Kodoku Mousou vs  Dir en Grey - Ash

Plastic Tree (again lol) - Sick vs Bauhaus - She's in Parties

Mid Deracine - The Coma vs Ensoku - This is a Pen (It took me sooooo long to figure out why The Coma sounded so familiar and then I laughed forever) 

Avanchick - Maria vs Girugamesh - Owari to Mirai (that verse)

176BIZ - Dekiai vs MUCC - Zetsubou (I've heard the same for Awoi - Kanashii Uta and Zetsubou, but I think the 176BIZ song is more obvious)

Deshabillz - Kono Tsumi ni Tsuite vs Smells like Teen Spirit

Gossip - Psycho Pass gave me flashbacks to Azalea - Horobi no Niwa not overly similar but that intro I guess

Not VK, but:

I was never really able to get into ROTTENGRAFFTY, but for some reason I really liked their new song "Life Is Beautiful" right away. Then I looked through some of the Japanese comments and saw tons of people going "This reminds me of BOOWY!" and "The hook is totally ripping off Cloudy Heart!". Which would explain a lot, since I love BOOWY.

ROTTENGRAFFTY were on a BOOWY tribute album, and BOOWY is basically one of the worst bands to copy anything from since so many people in Japan know their songs, so I doubt it was intentional, but I can sort of hear it. They do sound oddly similar to Himuro at times.

Life Is Beautiful

https://youtu.be/dSN3dJIl5L8?t=3m34s

Cloudy Heart

https://youtu.be/1NNlYLNeRJM?t=1m32s

Not VK, but:

I was never really able to get into ROTTENGRAFFTY, but for some reason I really liked their new song "Life Is Beautiful" right away. Then I looked through some of the Japanese comments and saw tons of people going "This reminds me of BOOWY!" and "The hook is totally ripping off Cloudy Heart!". Which would explain a lot, since I love BOOWY.

ROTTENGRAFFTY were on a BOOWY tribute album, and BOOWY is basically one of the worst bands to copy anything from since so many people in Japan know their songs, so I doubt it was intentional, but I can sort of hear it. They do sound oddly similar to Himuro at times.

Life Is Beautiful

https://youtu.be/dSN3dJIl5L8?t=3m34s

Cloudy Heart

https://youtu.be/1NNlYLNeRJM?t=1m32s

You cannot say "Cloudy Heart" and "ripping off" without mentioning L'Arc too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaouVTPkWUY

Give that verse a good listen... (it's even more obvious than in Rottengrafty's case)

Also, regarding L'arc again - I noticed that "LOVE FLIES" chorus resembles certain Dinosaur Jr. song way too much:

https://youtu.be/W3rh8xlm228?t=2m21s

(1991)

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/L%2526%2523039%253BArc%7Een%7ECiel---LOVE-FLIES/7ee7cd2a45d6181b45d5714e8808c8ec

(1999) - skip to 0:35 for the chorus. Also: the song itself lifts many elements from the song above, lol.

^that might be just an inspiration though, idk.

This is probably the most nonchalant and tackiest rip-off I've ever heard. They don't even try to hide it. Wondering where Axl has been with the lawsuit all this time.

Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen — vs. — PENICILLIN - love & peace

It was always clear where this band drew its inspiration from, but come on.

I dunno how to hotlink stuff from VK. I think it ain't even possible, but yeah, he just changed the lyrics and fucked up the arrangement. The original is way better.

well, i just heard this song and instantly thought of silent hill 2.

Lycaon - dorei to kubiwa

the beginning basically has a mix of these two tracks, plus with pyramid head dragging his blade for a second.

Silent Hill 2 - Betrayal

Silent Hill 2 - Black Fairy

and since i mentioned lycaon, here's another similarity from them i noticed way back when ambrozia came out.

Lycaon - kesshou hana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n0bUPs7Mwk

Mushishi - yawarakai tsuno

the same piano notes